• Published 11th Sep 2019
  • 18,717 Views, 3,597 Comments

Twilight's Nightmare - Nightsclaw



Twilight in her most desperate of moments, issues a cry for help. She was not expecting the Nightmare to be her saviour.

  • ...
61
 3,597
 18,717

PreviousChapters Next
Fragments: Dancer 

Author's Note:

5/12


Dancer looked around her. It was night, and she lay on the ground. This was not the Princess's study. This was not even Canterlot, but some gothic castle of black stone that had taken its place. The cool night air was tainted by woodsmoke. From above, large flakes of ash fell like snow. Did somepony burn a whole forest down?

Then, the memory of the Princess's cold eyes and burning blade as it descended hit her. She hugged her own trembling body. "I'm alive? Is this where I was banished? Is this Tartarus?"

Another pony's ragged breathing tugged at her attention. The sudden sound was almost enough to make her jump, but she had too much poise for that. With concealed dread, she slowly looked around. The lack of an angry Princess with a burning sword was a good start.

What lay crumpled on the ash-coated ground was an alicorn of a much darker hue than the princess. Another alicorn? How? Who are you? This was no savage beast, no foal-devouring nightmare.

Baying howls made her flinch before she realised what she had heard. Then she remembered the full gallop alongside their easy loping to get here. They were allies, maybe even friends.

The seed of fear that threatened her heart were replaced by something warm and fuzzy. "My hounds are here to protect us," she said with heartfelt certainty to the prone form of the beautiful dark Alicorn in her most reassuring tone.

As she took in every curse of flesh and every line of muscle, she could not help but envision them in motion. Then, that vision became remembrance. Dancing on the moon. The only music, the rhythm of their heart's harmony. "Luna?" She asked breathlessly.

"Twilight?" That was what Dancer thought Luna said, but it could just have been a pained groin.

Tears fell from her eyes, and she did not know why, nor did she know why she started to speak. "Beloved Luna. I am the part of her gifted to thee. I carry the memory of the moonlit dance that meant so much to her."

Her? Her mind asked, and suddenly she knew. Scene by scene played by her eyes as if Cadance was reading another picture book. The memory even had her putting on the silly voices.

"Oh." Suddenly, the words she had been forced to speak had far more meaning. She leaned down and, with a nuzzle of the mare she was to love, rested her smaller horn against Luna's elegant spire. An offer of a magical connection that was readily accepted.

Everything was perfect, until it wasn't.

The moment was shattered when a giant golden hammer raced across the darkened sky like a burning comet. She almost did not notice the small white plush toy screaming a far too cute-sounding battle cry that somehow wielded it.

"You don't see that everyday…"


PreviousChapters Next