• Published 11th Sep 2019
  • 18,716 Views, 3,597 Comments

Twilight's Nightmare - Nightsclaw



Twilight in her most desperate of moments, issues a cry for help. She was not expecting the Nightmare to be her saviour.

  • ...
61
 3,597
 18,716

PreviousChapters Next
CH 86.3 Celestial Considerations


The night had already fallen, and by design, the staff presumed that Celestia was in a deep slumber upon her priceless bed. Oh, how she wished that could be true, but even with all of her fragments' aid, there were still only so many hours in the day. Well, that was something she could change, but that would bring a whole host of headaches all of its own. So here she was, still at her desk despite the time.

Sweet smoke curled up from her ancient pipe as Celestia spread the last of the maps before her. The once pristine masterworks of the cartographer's art were now marred by hundreds of crude ink marks and perforated by dozens of coloured pins.

Daybreaker hummed thoughtfully before commenting. More proof of our former most faithful student's cunning, or mere happenstance?

It was easy enough to let her warmind's attention guide her eyes. The simple shading was innocent enough should one not know its meaning. A large section of the griffon lands was nought, but ash and the ecosystem was devastated. It would be hundreds of years before their game reserves would be back to the level to sustain their current population. Yet with the right help, earth pony's to tend the lands, a few age or temporal spells on some animals and things could be restored in less than a decade.

They are at our mercy. Daybreaker said, her fanged smile audible in her tone.

We have to be careful... if we are seen to gain too much, there will be more who will reason that the Blight was a deliberate act on Equestria's part.

Celestia could feel her warmind's attention shift to the ocean. We know not how the Blight will fare in the depths.

Her fragment did not need to say more. Many great beasts still lurked in the deepest darkness of their watery realm. The titanic monstrosities the Blight could craft from the flesh of such large creatures gave her pause, even as she could sense Daybreaker’s longing to face them. A few motions of a quill tripled the coastal defence budget. Added to the rest of Equestria's militarisation, plenty of ambassadors would have more complaints.

We can always just burn them.

Celestia took a long pull at her pipe, the sweet smoke filling her powerful lungs. A few heartbeats later, the expected serenity enveloped her. Burning mortal diplomats would cause problems for at least three generations, so despite how cathartic it might be, it was not worth the extra work it would create.

Celestia gave a slight shake of her head. I have little care to deal with that many mewling mortals, and unless it was the result of defensive action, we doubt Twilight or Cadance would accept such aggression.

There are other ways to take our rightful place.

For a moment, the weight of long-lost finery pressed into her coat, her feathers stiffened with paints and powered gem dust. Old lessons contained all the answers she would need.

It could be done, a few preparations and then as dawn broke, the first rays of light would carry her magic. With enough power, all who walked under her sun would submit. Once upon a time, before the magical land of Equestria existed, that had been her deepest desire. All it was was a slight augmentation of magic she was taught before she was fully a mare.

Her wings lifted from her body, and a shiver danced down her spine. Just the thought of her Chooser's disapproving eyes drove her to take another long pull from her pipe.

Who do you think Luna would side with? Daybreaker asked. Her query was a welcome distraction.

It was a simple question, though the doubt it spawned was anything but. Complex emotions swirled and tried to break past the alchemical-enforced clarity. Whomever we decided she should. There was the slightest twinge of guilt that succeeded in pushing past everything, but Celestia brushed it aside with a wave of her hoof. She was trained to be better than this.

Daybreaker draped a phantom wing around Celestia in a somewhat passible imitation of companionship. It would have been the height of foolishness to leave her completely unbound.

"Why do I always need to be in control?" Celestia mused before she answered it herself. Becasue somepony else would make the wrong choices. The words brought a surge of bitter resentment, but the truth was the truth. It came back to the same thing time and time again. Every time she had tried to step back and allow mortals some modicum of actual responsibility, they misused it, made mistakes or turned into petty tyrants.

Her mind moved on to the two exceptions, the only two she dared raise up since the end of the Alicorn Imperium.

Cadance had been the first, and her storming in and making demands only proved she was well on her way to being the mare she needed to be. She would play her part well and keep the dangers sealed beneath the Crystal Empire contained.

On the other hoof, the tattered remains of her grand plan for her Faithful Student had no place for this Twilight. Only her conviction in doing what was 'right' kept her firmly as an asset and not a threat.

Ah, but she is achieving so much... Daybreaker crowed as she drew Celestia's focus to the small personal picture collection. One held her gaze, and even with her indulgence with her pipe, her eyes still prickled with the promise of tears.

Celestia lifted the picture frame by hoof; it was no portrait painted by a master; it was a simple photograph that depicted the original Twilight sleeping in a book fort. It was the first of such she had created within the Canterlot library.

That simpler time called to her. Its siren's song threatened to shift her perceptions from the present to the past.

I need another student. Celestia thought as her mind drifted to the possibilities. Reading lists, practice spells and other little details started to arrange themselves behind her eyes lids.

The Blight has made plenty of orphans... you will have your choice of them.

"It will be generations until there is another like her..."

Tia, your radiance, you know what you want. They do not need to be Twilight equal. Just be intelligent and adorable.

When had she gotten so shallow? "Twilight is still alive... I do not need to replace her."

Yet...

A chill found its way into Celesita's chest even as her voice came out calm and level. "Explain yourself."

Look at the moon.

A part of her wanted to shout, wanted to lash out at the mere fragment that was commanding her, but instead, she just took yet another draw from her pipe and headed to the balcony.

Celestia stared at the moon, or more accurately, the undeniable magenta hue to parts of it." Well, that is one way to announce it..."

With a long-suffering sigh, she shook her head and returned to her desk. This will change things...

"But first, a statement for the press."


PreviousChapters Next