• Published 4th Sep 2019
  • 1,016 Views, 22 Comments

A Rare Mystery - the frank



Tragedy has hit Canterlot. There has been a murder, and the victim was Sunset Shimmer. It's up to Lieutenant Columbo to find the culprit before it is to late.

  • ...
2
 22
 1,016

Postscript

Even now, I can't seem to wrap my head around what I did. Was it reallly I that did it?

I have written down my story but not even using pen and paper to distance myself from it all, can I bring myself to write down everything. I'm to ashamed, I can't tell even myself the full truth, even now. I tried and tried... and still I couldn't give myself away, not until the story was almost over and the Lieutenant had it all in his hands.

Why? I suppose it's rather simple. It is not ladylike to murder. No, I am not proud.

But I can't really say I regret it either.

Framing Twilight was my mistake. Had I not...then perhaps...

Not that she didn't deserve it.



Harlot.

It all goes back to her, I suppose. My love. My life.

Sunset Shimmer.

I hated her. I loved her. No one but me should have her, No one but me deserved her.

And now no one could get her.




Into the night, I go... Alone. Goodbye. Thank you for watching.

Comments ( 7 )

Not bad, I think you got Columbo right. Despite it being something like two decades since I saw a Columbo mystery, this felt just like what I remember. I do think both him and Los Angeles should have a more pony style name. I do know an EQG story came up with such a name for Los Angeles, but neither that name nor the title comes to mind at the moment.

However, it makes no sense as a sequel to 'Oh, ma'am just one more thing', after all in that they're married to different people. Also I don't like Rarity as the killer, I think it might've been better if'n this were all a story within a story. Imagine the girls getting together just like old times, and Dash gets things going with which one of us would you kill, why and how. Whereas the others just gave those three answers, Rarity has to do a whole elaborate story involving a show she grew up with.

Finally, there are a couple minor mistakes (Twilight had a motif) in there. If'n you like, I'd be happy to give it a quick once over for you.

9818527
Well, it's not a sequel in the correct meaning, but a sequel in spirit, as it was comments on that story that spurred me to write this.

Also, a more poniefied name was on my mind briefly , but in the end I felt that Columbo must be Columbo and nopony else. And he is from LA. Also, I have seen maps that place Duckburg somewhere on the westcoast in the real U.S, so I think my choice has some merit.

If you would like to go through it and find my mistakes, sure. I would be more than grateful.
Thank you for reading.

9818564
Nods, "I like to play with readers a bit, give them clues and use puns or meanings for names, see if they figure out what I'm up to. As to mistakes, sure, don't suppose you write in Google docs and can give me the suggest link? It's easier to find stuff in there and correct it."

9817049
You just described 90% of tue show. :-p

Good enough. I'm not sure why you tried to conceal Rarity's identity; It was her or Twilight and Twilight was suspected to early to make anyone think it was her, plus the whole point of Columbo is that its a Thriller where we know how the murder was committed. Still good, though.

10249021
Thank you. :pinkiehappy: Oh, I am aware that it's not classic Columbo to do it like this.
I has two reasons. The first one is that I can't help putting twists in my stories, and when it comes to thrillers I want that reveal. The second is that I had recently re-read "the murder of Roger Ackroyd" and I really wanted to try my hand at an unreliable narrator.

Login or register to comment