• Published 17th Nov 2018
  • 6,486 Views, 245 Comments

Long Live The Empress - Mystic Sunrise



The once and future ruler of Equus is reborn. But what does this have to do with Twilight Sparkle?

  • ...
53
 245
 6,486

Coronation/End Of an Era

And then came a day that would live forever in memory, a day that none all across Equus had ever thought they would live to see.

For months, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna had been sending invites to all heads of state or those who represented them, to attend an event of special significance in Canterlot, though what that event was, the princesses refused to speak of. Few refused the request, for it was rare for either princess to ask something like this to any country, and to ask the leaders of all the countries of the world. It must have been important, and so almost all agreed. Those who did not attend were not missed.

But it was not only the leaders that came. All races, high and low born, began to converge on Canterlot. No summons had been sent, but all races could feel it in their souls. A call they could not ignore. It was like. It was like...

It was like a mother calling her children home.

And so, they came, and soon Canterlot was overfilled so that no more room could be found if they tried. A tent city went up in the valley below the capitol, and Ponyville herself was soon taking in as many as they could, and it still was not enough. Spells had been set up so that those that could not see the stage, could see everything as it happened, as well as in every major or minor city of the world.

At last, came an evening when from the walls, the entire valley floor below Canterlot, and to the horizon beyond, could be seen filled to overflowing with tents and pavilions, and all night lights were burning as all watched for the dawn. And when the sun rose in the clear morning above the mountain in the east, then all the bells rang, and all the banners broke and flowed in the wind.

Upon the tallest tower of the castle, the standard of the Two Sisters, the sun and moon circling each other in an eternal dance, was raised over Equestria for the last time.


"That is a lot of ponies down there," Amber whistled as she looked down from a high window. "Way more than we had our first time."

Crystal gave her a surprised look as she looked down as well. "Really? Why? I would think you girls would have had more than we would."

Diamond chuckled as she too looked down on the massive crowds with a faraway look. "Ponyland was nowhere near as unified as Equestria is. It took a long time for our roles to get around to everyone."

Ivy rolled her eyes at the memories. "Plus, more than a few cracked heads for those who did not get the message. Hopefully, it will not come to that this time."

Cosmos giggled. "I get the feeling that there will be some heads to crack. Ponies, especially these days, are just that dumb in many cases. Look at the Traditionalists and what they have threatened to do."

Her Exarchs shared concerned looks. This was something that had been on their minds for months now. "And if they do try and do something?" Celestial asked. "Today is the perfect chance for them to do something. And it would be a massacre if it got violent. I know some of them found explosives."

Cosmos frowned, for this thought had occurred to her as well. "Then we will make this a very public demonstration of their failure, and that their way of thinking has no place in what we will try to build. If it comes to violence? Then you girls have my full permission to show no mercy to these traitors. For they deserve nothing but death."

The girls smirked, unable to help it, as they all felt the same way about the group. They had no place in the world that was to come. Either they would learn to accept it or be left behind and forgotten about as an ugly face from an earlier time in the days to come.

At that moment, Celestia poked her head inside the room they were all in. She was smiling. "Everyone. It is time."

Cosmos nodded. Turning back to her Exarchs, she smiled. "Are you ready"

The girls took a moment to process what was about to happen before they spoke as one. "We are ready."


Outside, the crowd was getting impatient. What was all of this for anyway? And why was it taking so long?

In the front row, right next to the end of the stage, sat the families of Cosmos and her Exarchs. All knew what was to come and their daughter's roles to play in it. But they still couldn't believe it, as Twilight Velvet sniffed happily, leaning into Night Light, as Sci Twi smiled next to them. This was very weird for her but the two were just like the family she knew and loved.

The human Crystal sat with her counterpart's parents. To call all of this weird for her was a massive understatement, but the ponies next to her treated her just like their own Crystal, and that was a small comfort at least. She still could not believe her girlfriend was a literal goddess. She was the luckiest girl in the world. In any world in fact.

Anyone who said otherwise was a poopy head, and too stupid for their own good.

Next to the families sat Cosmos' Ponyville friends and the Rainbooms. Ponies had wondered why there were two of each of the heroes, but Celestia had been quick to say that they were clones Twilight had created and that it was not right to exclude them from the proceedings.

At that moment, the trumpets sounded as Princess Celestia and Princess Luna came to the end of the stage, their faces unrestrained joy. But it was most anyone's guess at what.

"Friends from near and far, old and new," Celestia began. "We are gathered here today to witness a momentous occasion. For over a thousand years, my sister and I have ruled Equestria. Even in the time when she was gone, Luna was still with me in spirit."

Luna nodded. "But it was never our place to rule for so long. That role belongs to another, and today. We give her back that birthright. As was foretold long ago in the Age of War."

Celestia nodded as she turned back to the main entrance of the castle. "Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you for the very first time. Cosmos!"

The crowd turned as the door opened. First came ten ponies, two of each tribe. What shocked many was that two of them were only fillies, neither of which had a cutie mark yet. As they came to the center of the walkway, they turned as one and stood facing each other, their faces an impassive mask. But it was who came next that all looked towards and soon forgot about the other ten.

She was Twilight Sparkle, and yet, not Princess Twilight at the same time. Armor the same color as her coat protected her vital areas, and in the center of the breastplate sat the Element of Magic itself. At her side, six wings lay folded neatly. Her eyes showed wisdom beyond her years. As she passed the first ponies, they fell in line behind her, protecting her rear.

As she came to stand before the princesses, everyone could see how much taller she was than the sisters. She bowed as came within distance of the two. Celestia and Luna smiled as they too bowed and ignited their horns. Magic soon began to flow out of them and into Cosmos herself, who seemed to glow as she absorbed the magic, a small crown appearing on her brow as she did.

After several minutes the trio stood. Celestia and Luna looked winded and drained but otherwise fine as they stood at her side. "Now come the days of the Empress. May they be long and prosperous," Celestia intoned.

Luna nodded. "Henceforth, we renounce any and all ties to the crown. It is ours no longer to bear. Hail Cosmos!"

Cosmos smiled as stood at the edge of the stage. As one, everyone watching the ceremony bowed in deference, no matter their station or where they came from.

Cosmos waived them up. "Please, rise. Let this mark the end of the era of isolation. No more can we be divided by petty differences and vendettas. Our world has suffered enough for it. Now, let us all march forward towards a better tomorrow. Together we can reclaim what was lost in the Age of Wonders."

She spread her wings, letting her magic flow freely now. "Till all are one!"

And as the fireworks went off, all believed in their hearts that promise. No matter how long it. "Till all are one!" Was soon heard all across the world.

Author's Note:

Yes. That is a Transformers the Movie (1986) reference at the end. No, I'm not sorry. That's also a Return of the King reference as well near the beginning. What happens next? I don't know. I will return to this universe in the future with more stories though.

Comments ( 4 )

Happy to see this getting a ending not many stories do these days

11159760
I've actually had the ending done and written for a long time now. Unfortunately, I lost the original draft, so I had to redo it from memory. Damn :fluttercry:.

Xalok #4 · Feb 22nd, 2022 · · 1 ·

11160596
God that sounds like a motivational killer to lose a part of your work

Login or register to comment