• Published 17th Nov 2018
  • 6,493 Views, 245 Comments

Long Live The Empress - Mystic Sunrise



The once and future ruler of Equus is reborn. But what does this have to do with Twilight Sparkle?

  • ...
53
 245
 6,493

Matters of Love pt. 1

This, Twilight decided as she lay back in her seat with a sigh, was either the craziest idea she'd had since coming to Equestria. Or it was brilliant and would lead to something great. She was really hoping for the latter honestly.

As the Friendship Express headed north, she tried looking out the window to keep her mind off the uncomfortable stares she was getting from the other ponies in the car. It was almost working too.

She was used to the looks by now. All of Equestria had heard of her and the Rainbooms by this point. It was not a secret anymore that they existed and looked like the Mane 6, as their native counterparts were called.

But that did not mean she had to like them.

With a sigh, her thoughts turned to why she was on her way north like she was, and by herself no least. Twilight would've loved to have some company, even Spike, as different as he was from the puppy she knew, would've been a great company at the moment.

But Cosmos and her Exarchs were off visiting some cult village in the middle of nowhere lead by somepony named Starlight Glimmer. Sunset was in Canterlot visiting her family, and her Ponyville friends?

Rainbow and Pinkie were in Griffonstone, Rarity, and Applejack were in Manehatten, and Fluttershy was on a nature retreat with a friend of hers, Tree Hugger.

And with their native selves gone for the moment, the Rainbooms had been left to handle their chores and businesses. Twilight herself though had nothing better to do, and with her magic still not fully up to snuff, she had instead decided to go exploring.

Cosmos had said that if she wanted a place to start, Canterlot was always a good choice. Or if not there, the Crystal Empire. She had family in both, so she would not have to look for a place to stay.

Twilight was not sure how she felt about meeting her family here. If they were anything like her parents or brother back home, she had no doubt it would not be a problem. But she was not sure she was ready for that just yet.

And if she had any problems, then she could visit Cadance, who Twilight knew was keen to meet her. So far, the two of them had not met, but Twilight would be lying if she said she wasn't looking forward to it.

Cadance, it seemed, had been the foalsitter for Cosmos when she was a filly, something that sounded like when she had been Twilight's babysitter when she had been younger. If they were anything alike, Twilight knew they would get along.

That this Cadance was married to her brother Shining Armor still surprised her. Even more so when she had heard that they were now mom and dad to a newborn filly, Flurry Heart. That was something Twilight was still wrapping her head around.

And then, of course, had come the real kicker. Cosmos had not so subtly mentioned that if Twilight ever had problems of the heart, then Cadance was the pony who could help her the most. If Twilight knew what she meant.

Unfortunately, Twilight knew what she meant. Or she had an idea at least. It was not much of a secret now across Ponyville that she was crushing hard on Cosmos. Nopony had called her out on it yet at least. But Sunset had given her a knowing look more than once when she had caught Twilight staring at Cosmos's flanks.

Heck, Rarity had even started to take her measurements for a dress, one that Twilight had not even asked for by the way. And she knew there was no big event coming up that she would need a dress for. At least she did not think so.

How much of this Cosmos knew, only the mare herself knew. Not even the girls around her knew for sure, but they too had given Twilight knowing looks more than once. Crystal and Amber were the worst at hiding it, but Twilight knew what they were thinking. What all of Ponyville was thinking.

That she needed to get off her flank and do something about her crush while she still had a chance.

And that, unfortunately, was her problem. Cosmos was Twilight's first crush ever. She had never been into boys at all, and none of the girls at Crystal Prep had swung that way, so she had kept it all to herself.

Canterlot High, it seemed, did not have the same problem. From what little she had been able to pick up before coming to Equestria, it was not exactly a secret that Cosmos had a thing for the Human World's Crystal, and that the feeling was mutual. The aftermath of the Friendship Games had only cemented it.

And that, above anything else, was why Twilight had done nothing before now. While she and Canterlot High's Crystal had not interacted much, Twilight liked the younger girl and had seen what she and Cosmos had. As tenuous as it was.

She did not want to ruin that. It wouldn't be right to any of them for Twilight to get in the way. So, she had kept her feelings to herself, no matter how much it might hurt. And did it hurt. A lot. Far more than she ever thought a crush could hurt.

How much of this Cosmos knew was a mystery, but Twilight would not put it past her that she did know and was in the same boat Twilight herself was. But it was hard to tell with her.

In the end, it had been Fluttershy of all ponies who had convinced her that she needed to go see someone who could maybe help her figure it all out. And if matters of the heart were the problem, then Princess Cadance was the pony Twilight needed to talk to. She was the Princess of Love after all.

So, in the end, Twilight had worked up the courage and had asked Spike if he could send a letter, asking if she could come up to the Crystal Empire for a few days and visit. The response had come so fast that she had not even thought of a plan yet of how she would do this.

They were more than happy to have her visit, and she could stay as long as she wanted. So now, here she was, on a train ride to a place she had never been before, to ask somepony she barely knew for help on matters of love.

Twilight could think of a million different ways this could go wrong, as she turned her gaze away from the passing scenery. But she hoped it all worked out in the end.


As the train began to slow down, Twilight, shifted her saddlebags onto her withers before stretching for all she was worth. The train ride was comfortable at least, but it was still a long way from Ponyville all the way up here.

Looking around, she noticed that there were a few other ponies in the car with her. Perfect. She did not want to stand out even more than she already did. She got enough of that as it was already, and it was starting to annoy her to no end. She was not Cosmos, nor was she Princess Twilight.

Was that so hard to understand? Her friends, at least, knew and treated her as such. It was a small victory, she thought as the train finally stopped and she came to one of the doors. But one she would take all the same.

But as the door opened, and the orange Pegasus came into view, Twilight's mood sunk. "Let me guess. Shining Armor sent you as an escort for me?"

To his credit, Flash Sentry managed not to melt under the glare he was getting. "Yes, ma'am. This being your first time to the Crystal Empire, he thought it was prudent. Princess Cadance tried to stop him, but..."

Twilight sighed as she stepped down onto the platform. "But Shiny would not take no for an answer. He never does when it comes to me. At least that has not changed in this world."

Flash nodded as he fell in line beside her. "If it is all the same to you, Twilight. I don't like it either. If you are anything like Princess Twilight herself, you can take care of yourself, and do not need ponies like me." He gave her a hesitant smile. "Can I call you Twilight? It's much easier this way."

Twilight nodded. "Please do. Ponies confuse the two of us enough as it is. I want to get away from that. At least for a little while."

Flash nodded, relaxing as he did so. "So, what brings you all of the way up here? It is a long way from Ponyville, and this seems a bit much just for a social call for a pony you... Do not really know."

Twilight smiled a little. "You're right. But I hope Princess Cadance can help me with this. Love is her specialty from what I understand."

Flash nodded as the two passed the Crystal Heart. "Speaking from experience, nopony knows it better. She helped me find the mare I think I want to spend the rest of my life with." He smiled sheepishly. "Just do not tell either of them I said that."

Twilight chuckled. "Don't worry. Your secret is safe with me. I do not know many ponies here as it is, so I would not even know who to tell if I wanted to."

Flash nodded, before snapping to attention as Princess Cadance came down a stairway. "Your highness."

Cadance waved him off with a smile. "Flash. What have I said about calling me that?"

He only shook his head. "I can not do that ma'am. Orders from Captain Armor himself, and I would rather not end up on permanent latrine duty if it is all the same to you."

Cadance and Twilight giggled, as the elder alicorn pulled the younger into a hug. "I can take it from here, Sergeant. Return to your post. And I will have a word with Shining about his rules. You need to lighten up."

Flash saluted, before smiling at Twilight, before trotting off. Twilight rolled her eyes. "Is he always like that?"

Cadance chuckled. "No. He's actually really nice when he's off duty. But Flash is all business when on duty. All of the Crystal Guard is. But how are you, Twilight?" She ran a hoof through her mane. "Love the mane style. It suits you. And you make glasses look so cute!"

Twilight blushed brightly. "Cadance! Not so loud! And I am doing fine thank you. I just wish this was for fun."

Cadance's smile widened. "Love trouble?" At Twilight's shocked squeak, she giggled. "Twilight. No matter what world you are from, you are terrible at hiding what's on your mind. Especially for somepony who knows your counterpart rather well. Even when she's changed as much as she has."

Twilight groaned. Darn it. So much for keeping this secret for long. "Um. Yes. It does have something to do with love, and I do not know who else to ask."

Cadance nodded. "So. Does Cosmos know how you feel about her?" She smirked.

Twilight's jaw dropped in horror. "How did?!"

Cadance giggled. "I know? I have had my suspicions ever since you and your friends came to Equestria. I've seen how you look at her, and especially that shapely flank of hers." Her smirk grew as Twilight's roaring blush turned redder and redder. "And you've just confirmed all of it."

Twilight mumbled ineligibly for several seconds, before groaning and burying her face in her wings. "Okay, fine. I do love her. How could I not? She's beautiful, kind, smart, funny when she wants to be. And she was my first real friend. She saved me from doing something stupid at the Friendship Games. How can I not love her?"

Cadance's smirk evaporated and was replaced with a gentle smile, for she could feel the earnestness behind those words. "Does she know?"

Twilight could only shrug. "Maybe. At least I think she does. It's hard to know what's going on inside that head of hers. Not even her Exarchs know sometimes, and I've asked them."

Cadance sighed as the pair came to the Throne Room. "Twilight. I can't make Cosmos love you. Do not insult me by saying that thought hasn't crossed your mind. I can't make ponies love each other. I can only help those who share that kind of love come back to each other if they are falling apart, and only then if they both want it."

Twilight's ears fell. The thought had crossed her mind. "It did cross my mind once or twice. I can't help it. I feel like a schoolgirl on her first crush all over again. I can't get it out of my mind."

Cadance nodded, as she wrapped a wing around her sister-in-law. "Twilight. You know Cosmos loves you, correct?"

Twilight nodded sadly. "But I don't want that kind of love. I want more! Is that so bad?" She sniffed, letting her tears fall. "I want to be her everything. Damn whatever anyone says about it!"

Cadance's ears fell as well as she pulled Twilight close, letting the alicorn let out all of her emotions. "No, Twilight. It isn't wrong to want that. You are not the first pony to think like that about someone. Nor the first human methinks. You know you can't force this, correct?"

Twilight sniffed, nodding as she snuggled close, remembering all of the times she had done the same with her Cadance. "I know. I am not stupid enough to think I can make Cosmos love me the way I love her. I just," she sobbed. "I don't know what to do."

Cadance's heart fell. This was worse than she had thought. "There is one thing you can do, Twilight. Something that not even Cosmos can ignore. Show her. Show her much you love her. Show her how much you want to be her everything, no matter what."

Twilight gasped in horror as she pulled away. "Cadance! I can't do that! What if she says no?"

Cadance only smiled. "And what if she says yes? You can't think like that, Twilight. You will never find happiness like that. Cosmos loves you. Never doubt that she doesn't."

Twilight shook her head. "And what if she says no? I don't want to ruin our friendship. I couldn't take it." She waved her wings. "Especially if I really am as immortal as every alicorn is. Eternity is too long to be alone."

Cadance bit her lip, for she knew that Twilight had a point, for the thought had crossed her mind as well. "I can't tell you how she would react, Twilight. Only Cosmos can tell you that. But I refuse to think she would ever stop being your friend over something like this. I know she also has feelings for the human Crystal."

Twilight nodded. "And that is another thing. I won't take her away from Crystal. I don't know her very well at Canterlot High. But I know how happy they make each other. I will not ruin that for Crystal. It's not fair to her or Cosmos."

Cadance smiled. She could see that Twilight had put some thought into this. "Then you need to tell them both. Confess to Cosmos, and then you, her, and Crystal need to sit down and seriously talk about this. I cannot tell you how to do this, however. You must follow your heart."

Twilight nodded. She had been afraid of that. But no matter what, this long talk had done so much good for her mood and heart. "Thank you, Cadance. I'm sorry I took up so much of your time for this," she said as she stood, only to be pulled back down with a wing.

Cadance only smirked at her in a way she hadn't used since her foalsitting days. "Twilight. If you honestly think you will come all the way to the Crystal Empire to only talk to me, and then go straight back to Ponyvile without spending time with your family. You are sorely mistaken young filly. Spend a few days with us. I know Flurry Heart would love to meet you. Don't make me put you in timeout, young lady. I still know a few tricks from my foalsitting days."

Twilight gulped but couldn't hide a smile at the thought. "You know what? A vacation does sound good right about now."


By the time she returned to Ponyville, Twilight's heart soared higher than it had ever before. Just being around her family again always seemed to do that to her and playing with Flurry Heart had been such a balm that she hadn't known she needed.

So, she was rather put off to find that Cosmos wasn't even there and had returned to the Human World for some reason that made no sense to her. But her Exarchs were still there, so that helped.

"Relax," Amber smirked up at her. "You'll be fine. She should be back anytime now."

So, Twilight could only wait, rather impatiently it must be said, for her crush to return. So, when she saw Cosmos step back out of a tear in reality, with her heart all flutter, Twilight did the only thing she could think of at that moment.

And damn the consequences! Full speed ahead!

Author's Note:

Alright. Midnight Defender pointed out a few things to me earlier. In that I've included things from D&D, Forgotten Realms, Magic: The Gathering, and Wheel of Time. Two of those were on purpose.

But I've never read Wheel of Time, and I don't play Magic. So can someone please tell me what I'm using from them? Because I don't know. If I use anything from Everquest. That's also not on purpose.