• Published 17th Nov 2018
  • 6,497 Views, 245 Comments

Long Live The Empress - Mystic Sunrise



The once and future ruler of Equus is reborn. But what does this have to do with Twilight Sparkle?

  • ...
53
 245
 6,497

Empress and Emperor

Cosmos had to admit. Her opponent knew his way around the board. Far more than she gave him credit for in the beginning. Then again, she had a good idea of who she was playing, so it wasn't much of a surprise. For the moment she smiled across at the stallion. "I never did get your name Mr.?"

He smiled as he moved a piece. "Oberon if you please. My mother had a thing for legends of the fey. I rather like it."

Cosmos hid a smirk. Oh, he was good. "So then Oberon. What brings you to Ponyville? Not many visits from down south," she asked, moving a piece.

He smirked. She was good for one so young. Better than he had expected. "I was in Appleloosa when a Caramel Apple told me quite a tale."

Cosmos smirked as well. "Did he now? What exactly did he tell you?"

Oberon studied his next move a moment before replying. "He told how Tirek and Discord had both been destroyed by a power that put the princesses to shame."

"And you believed him?" Cosmos asked.

He shrugged. "The Apple Family is known for their honesty. I was inclined to believe him, so I came to see for myself. My sons don't believe it."

Cosmos nodded. "They sound like smart stallions. You must be proud."

Oberon's smile grew. "I am sure they will be happy to hear that," he said as he moved to end their game. "And I believe that is checkmate princess."

Cosmos blinked as she looked at the board. He indeed had her, fair and square too. She chuckled. Not many could say that they had beaten her at chess.

The flash of green flame behind Oberon's eyes though confirmed her suspicions of who he really was so Cosmos decided to end this charade now as she leaned over the board.

"Good game. Blackthorn."

The stallion raised an eyebrow and gave a small smile. "Blackthorn? I am afraid you have me confused with somepony else."

Cosmos only smiled wider. "I think I'm fairly certain who you are, Mr. Oberon. That is just your middle name though. Don't believe me? The full assumed name ends in Lyonesse. You are the patriarch of the Court of Thorns. Your 'Beloved' is Empress Blackrose Titania Avalon of the Court of Roses. When you were young- and mortal- you put a certain poison in her drink and-"

"Enough," the stallion interjected. His voice was calm, but firm and his amused expression were gone. Around them, Cosmos could sens an invisible dome of mag reminiscent of a Zone of Silence spell, but of different construction and sophistication far beyond mortal and even most local divines standards in this corner of the multiverse.

He gave her a glare, cold and calculating, measuring her and doubt trying to divine what exactly she really was. "It is as we expected; those minute expressions when we mention our disguised name and our sons, the certain chess gambits we know are still beyond the Princess of Friendship's ability to play... You too are far more than what you seem, and evidently, you know more about us then any others besides our beloved should know, Princess... If that is what you truly are."

Cosmos smiled as she ignited her horn and dropped her disguise, reverting back to her true form. Blackthorn's only response was a raised eyebrow at the new alicorn across from him.

"You are right about one thing. I am far more than I once was," Cosmos replied. "What you heard of Tirek and Discord is true. I will not hesitate to do so again against those who threaten Equestria." Her smile grew. "And I'll let you in on a little secret. That was done with only a tenth of one percent of my power."

"Is that a threat?" Blackthorn asked.

Cosmos chuckled. "Threat? Oh no. I don't make threats. I make promises. Threats are for lesser beings." Her smile softened. "But I digress. I have no reason to give you that. Not yet. So you can call off your Black Maidens."

Blackthorn chuckled. "Some might say otherwise. What are you, for are clearly not Princess Twilight Sparkle."

Cosmos smiled coyly. "I am still Twilight Sparkle, but I am now as I was meant to be. In simple terms, just call me a passing through 10th-dimensional being who stuck her nose back into a universe she once abandoned."

"That makes little sense," Blackthorn replied.

Cosmos clapped her hooves excitedly. "Then you already know more about me than most ever figure out. I'm not supposed to make sense by any mortal standard."

He smiled. "Then why speak with me? You clearly don't need to learn more about us, though I will not say anything if you expect me to."

Cosmos's smile dropped. "Because you will be the messenger for all changelings. I would've done the same with any of your kind. You just happen to be the one. What I'm about to tell you will be heard by every 'ling of every hive of your line and your beloved's."

Blackthorn frowned. "I do not like being used like this, but I am curious as to what you have to say."

Cosmos nodded. "Then listen well. A reckoning is coming for all your kind, emperor. The wedding will be made right. The question then Blackthorn, is how many hives will burn before you and your beloved heed the point and make the piece, or find another way to get love."

Blackthorn's frown deepened. "That is saying much. What would your fellow princesses think?"

Cosmos shrugged. "I neither know or care what they think of it. I answer to none but myself. Chrysalis will learn the price of attacking Equestria as I force her to watch as her hive is purged. She will die last. And I promise, her death will not come quick."

"What gives you that right? What gives you the right to judge us?" Blackthorn asked.

Cosmos spat. "You lost that right the moment your race attacked Equestria. Chrysalis holds no rights as the leader of a race or nation. Only you and Blackrose do. She is a wanted terrorist and criminal." She sat back. "No Blackthorn. Do not presume to lecture me on rights. If you're as smart as I hope you are, then you will take the point."

His frown deepened as he bit back a retort. Beneath her calm exterior, he could feel an unfathomable amount of power rolling, held in check only by a will of steel.

After a time he smiled. "Very well Princess Twilight. Be warned though. I do not speak for all. Our beloved I feel will heed the point, but I cannot speak for her children."

Cosmos smiled as then tension fell away. "That is all I ask. I won't stop your kind from feeding to survive. If any want to talk, I'm more than willing to listen." She chuckled. "Besides, I like playing someone who can give me a run for my money."

Blackthorn chuckled as well. "As do I. It is so hard to find someone competent enough to make it worthwhile these days."

Author's Note:

If you've ever read Ponies & Dragons (Just Have Fun), then you'll recognize Emperor Blackthorn from it. Not fully the same in some ways though. Caramel's bit with him is a shout out to how we first met him in that story.

And yes. Chrysalis will die before the end of the story. Not sure about Thorax yet. If you've seen the Red Wedding from Game of Thrones, you have some idea of what will happen.