• Published 14th May 2018
  • 643 Views, 18 Comments

Of Nightmares and Chaotic Love - Snow Quill



Back when Equestria was young, an equally young Discord and Luna are betrothed. When Luna becomes Nightmare Moon, what will Discord do in his grief?

  • ...
2
 18
 643

Epilogue

Author's Note:

Well it only took me 2 years to finish lol. I know I pulled this story from the site for a minute and that’s because I was all ‘I’m gonna rewrite it and make it better! Yeah!’ And long story short that did not happen. I just couldn’t change anything, this story is my baby and I couldn’t bring myself to try and make all these big revisions and stuff. So here it is again, the completed thing. Hope you guys enjoyed and thanks to everyone who read :yay:

(Image at bottom drawn by me)

~~3 Months Later~~

I sigh softly as I look over the awning of the airship, staring down at the water below. A salty breeze blew through my fur as I slowly close my eyes, thinking back on the last three months. I am startled by a hoof on my shoulder, looking back to see Luna holding a cup of tea.

“Calm darling, ‘tis only us. Here, drink.”

I sigh softly and take the cup, barely able to hold it in my claw. I move away from the edge and sit down, slowly bringing the cup to my lips and sipping. Luna sat beside me, snuggling into my side. “How are th-you, feeling today?”

Internally I sigh as she tries to correct her speech, setting the tea to the side and flexing my paw and claw. “Well I was able to hold the cup without dropping it. That’s better than last week.”

She smiled and kissed my cheek. “Wonderous news Discord! Soon thou shall be back to thy old self. We look forward to the tea parties.”

I chuckle softly and wrap my arms around her, kissing her forehead. It had been a long three months since Luna and Celestia found me in the Forgotten Bogs south of Equestria. When my mother disowned and banished me all those years ago I lost all will to live. Unfortunately, it was rather difficult to die as an almost immortal being.

So I just sat, not eating or drinking or even practicing magic. I spent the nearly thousand years drifting between nightmares and guilty consciousness. I reflected on all that had happened, playing memories over and over in my mind until I began to hallucinate Luna there with me. The last 400 years I’d spent in a sort of fever dream, living out what I hoped my life would be with Luna.

Then, that fateful day, when I was finally close to dying, I heard her. I actually heard her. I thought it another hallucination, but it was her. All the years of not using any magic or energy left me greatly weakened, and when I did try to call upon them my body was overwhelmed and I passed out.

I later learned I was unconscious for three days, Luna running herself ragged as she tried to find something to bring me back. The answer ending up coming not from one of the millions of scrolls and books between Canterlot and the Castle of the Two Sisters, but from a zebra shaman who’d taken residence in the Everfree Forest. There were two main kinds of magic in our world you see, Harmony Magic and Chaos Magic, with varying sub-levels under them.

Luna and Celestia used mostly Harmony Magic, as did most of Equestria. I used purely Chaos Magic. Chaos Magic, as its name applies, is a fickle thing. Even when I was healthy my magical abilities were in flux, even if I did have a powerful baseline. Anyways, by going so long without magic my connection to it became weaker and weaker, and even if I wanted to I would be unable to call upon them.

As it turns out, the shamans of Zebrica use a mix of harmony and chaos magic. As such, they have many remedies to help heal magical connection. The tea that Luna gave me is brewed to help naturally strengthen my connection. Made with a mixture of ginger, lemon and basil leaves, it actually didn’t taste all too bad.

Even with the tea, it’s taken me 3 months to be able to stand and walk again.

I sigh, picking the cup back up and sipping at it more, letting it warm my throat and stomach as it makes its way through my body. Luna nuzzles my neck, bringing a wing to rest over my chest.

“Are you sure about this Discord? We can wait a little longer…”

I bite my lip, letting out a shaky breath as the now empty tea cup is placed to the side. “I have to Luna. She was my mother, even if…”

I look away, heaving a heavier sigh. Luna kisses my neck. “I understand. I am here to support you.”

I nod and close my eyes, breathing deeply. I feel Luna shift against my side a bit and focus on the sensations to ground myself. Her soft fur, the slight tickle of her ethereal mane, her heartbeat, steady and calming.

The intercom buzzed above us, the captain's voice coming out and taking me out of my meditation. “We are nearly to the Hippogriff Kingdom’s airship landing strip. Please move indoors and buckle in, landing estimated for ten minutes.”

Luna nuzzled me and stood up, offering a hoof. I slowly open my eyes and take her hoof, standing up and swaying for a moment before stabilizing myself. Internally I cursed at my weakness, but externally I forced a smile to hopefully set Luna at ease.

With her help we steadily make our way indoors, sitting on seats and buckling in. “Five minutes to landing, please make sure you are buckled in. I repeat, five minutes.”

I close my eyes and drum my claw on the armrest, thinking about what I would say. I wasn’t sure what would be quite appropriate, it had been so many years and the last we saw of each other was hardly the best memory.

A sudden lurch brought me out of my thoughts, the captains voice crackling over the intercom that we had landed and could disembark.

I unbuckled myself and stood with Luna’s help, slowly making our way to the exit. The first thing that hit me was the salty air, much more powerful now than when we were soaring above it. I inhale deeply and smile; I was home.

I made my way down the docks and headed towards the Palace, gaining the odd look here and there from the Hippogriffs. I did my best not to let it get to me, no doubt I was scrubbed from the history books as a Prince, but detailed as the monster I am. Was.

Luna keeps beside me the entire time, her fluffy wing wrapped around my waist as she looks all around and marvels at what was once my home. I realized that we never had the chance to come here before…

‘Hmm, maybe our honeymoon should be here then. Plenty of private beaches and lovely caves. That’s what I will do. It’ll be a lovely surprise for my dear.’

I smile at my thoughts, glancing down at Luna. ‘Yes, I think she would love it.’

Soon, we reached the gates to the Palace, the guards hesitant to let me in. They finally conceded at Luna’s withering glare and sharp voice, much to my amusement. We crossed to the gardens, where members of the royal family were buried and memorialized in stone.

My breath caught in my throat as I saw her statue, as regal looking as she was in her life. I stepped forward, barely noticing Luna stepping back to give me space. My claw made contact with the statue, holding her front hoof, and I bowed my head. “Hello mother, it’s been a while, hasn’t it?”

~~1 Year Later~~

The castle was a hustle and bustle of activity, even more than normal. It wasn’t too much a surprise, even if it was a little annoying. Weddings were big deals for ponies, as I was quickly learning. And if a wedding was big, a royal wedding was momentous.

And so, every day I found myself surrounded by seamstresses, cake designers, floral arrangers, music conductors, even napkin consultants. Napkin Consultants!

My poker face must not have been as good as I thought when the napkin consultant came in, Luna quickly choosing one out of 3 identical shades of white and ushering the pony out.

Thankfully, not all the of planning was completely inane. I actually found it fun to look at the different flowers, different representations and meanings in the arrangements. Even arranging the guest seating was intriguing, mostly because I knew I could cause a little bit of chaos by putting that pony into a certain group.

Luna only pretended to disapprove when my plans came to light, but the slight smirk pulling at her lips told me all I needed to know.

As each day passed more planning was completed, and I regained my former strength. There were a few occasions of a flower exploding into whipped cream, a broom chasing a maid, and the lovely sounds of ribbiting cucumber sandwiches.

My harmless chaos was met with suspicion at first, but soon enough ponies were laughing along with me. Even Celestia seemed to warm back up a bit, even if she did still throw the occasional scowl and scolding my way.

My relationship with Celestia since my return would be best described as an autumn day. Chilly winds blowing through to shake the leaves, yet the sun shining still. Sometimes it was warm, other times it was cold. I know it bugged Luna a bit, but she couldn’t do much to force either of us to apologize or attempt a ‘making up’ for what happened all those years ago.

I didn’t mind as much, a little distrust and contempt kept things nice and chaotic after all.

I yawn dramatically and stretch out over my throne, blinking blearily down at the pony before us now. “My apologies, my darling Lulu kept me up all night with her feathers, oh the things Pegasi can do with their wings...What was it you were prattling on about?”

The young unicorn’s mouth dropped, a bright red blush spreading across his green coat.

To my side Luna sputtered, having taking a sip of tea at a rather inopportune time. A grin slowly spread on my face as a halo appeared above my head. “My my, you ponies have gotten so vulgar, we simply had a tickle fight.”

The unicorn coughed awkwardly, looking down at his notes. “I uh, ahem, we were discussing drink options.”

I hummed. “Tea, wine and juice. Get a variety of each, whatever you feel is appropriate. We finished?”

Luna sighed but nodded her agreement. “Yes, we have the up,our confidence in your abilities. You are excused.”

The unicorn let out a sigh of relief, quickly backing out of the room. I jumped in surprise as my side was buffeted by a wing, Luna’s dark blue cheeks burning with a blush. I snicker and peck her cheek, “Whaaaat? Don’t tell me you are actually mad at me darling.”

I pout playfully and lean over her lap, giving the best puppy dog eyes I could. She held out for an impressive 10 seconds before breaking and giggling as she pet my mane. “Oh Discord, we could never stay mad at you.”

~~

I paced around the dressing room, nervously gnawing on my claw. It was only five minutes to the start of the wedding ceremony and I couldn’t believe it was actually happening. Part of me was convinced I was still living in a fever dream in the Forgotten Bogs, that none of this was real.

There was a knock on the door, the voice on the other side making me groan. “Yes, yes, come in Celestia.”

The door opened and she walked in, smiling softly. “Are you ready Discord?”

I bit my tongue on all the snide comments running through my head, mostly centering on that this wedding had been delayed for over 1,000 years because of her.

Instead I ignore her gaze, staring into the mirror and adjusting the silk rose on my blue velvet vest. “Shouldn’t you be at the altar? Or is that student of yours officiating?”

“No, I shall be officiating the ceremony. I just wanted to check on the groom and make sure he wasn’t getting cold hooves.”

She looks like she’s expecting something from me, but what I have no idea. “I’m fine Celestia. I’ve been waiting for over 1,000 years, I am more than ready. Now go on, I don’t want to wait any longer than necessary and I doubt Luna is feeling more patient than I am.”

I spoke with a little more bite than I intended, but I didn’t care. This was my wedding day, after months of planning and years of waiting, I felt I was allowed some snippiness.

Celestia didn’t show any reaction to my words, only nodding and leaving.

I sighed in relief and glanced at the clock. “Well, I suppose it’s time.”

I waited a minute more before walking out the door and down the hallway to the ballroom. I slowly took a deep breath and rolled my shoulders before nodding to the guards to open the door.

There was a swell of music as I entered, ponies and hippogriffs on either side nodding as I passed. I did my best to keep my hands steady, my stride even. The room was more crowded than I expected, making my stomach tingle in a sudden bout of nerves.

I finally reached the altar, nodding tersely at Celestia before turning to watch the doors for Luna’s entrance.

The music swelled once more into the classical march of the bride as she entered but I barely heard a note.

She walked with her head high, a serene smile on her face. Her billowing mane was pulled into a ponytail - how the stylist pulled it off I’ll never know - her dress teal with a sweetheart bodice and sleeves of colored silk. The same silk was sewn into her skirt and the rose I wore on my vest.

I find myself smiling as she approaches the altar, craning my neck downward to keep eye contact. Celestia clears her throat before beginning.

“Mare and gentlecolts, creatures of all ages, we are gathered here to honor an ancient pact, a royal betrothal between Princess Luna and Prince Discord.”

She paused a moment, probably for dramatic effect or something equally idiotic, “It is more than a betrothal that has kept these two together, for they found common ground, a friend, a likeminded soulmate to confide in.”

Celestia nodded to Luna. “My sister found true love and I shall be forever grateful she has found happiness.”

She nodded at me. “Equestria is not only gaining a prince, but I am gaining a brother and friend.”

I internally frowned, quickly debating the cost of having words with her later. She continued. “Without further ado, the couple have written their own vows and shall recite them now. Luna?”

Luna lets out a shaky breath as tears fill her eyes. “Discord, since we met you have been there for us, the nights we spent counting the stars are some of our fondest memories. Through it all you have loved us, and we have loved you. We would give you the world, but today we have but a humble ring.”

She looked to the side, where a small purple dragon was holding a pillow. She floated up a large, silver band inlaid with the daintiest swirls of sapphire. “This ring is an unbroken circle, such as our love shall never break. You are our moon and stars, from this night and every night.”

I couldn’t help myself, a few tears slipping down my cheeks as some slipped down hers. I offered my shaky claw, sniffling as she placed the ring on my claw. Celestia nodded at me. “Luna, my love, I cannot think of a time I am happier than when I am with you. Our nights stargazing, our afternoons cuddling, the occasional innocent prank.”

There was chuckling from the crowd but I tuned it out. “I have loved you from the day we met. I have waited over 1,000 years for this moment and I never want to spend a minute away from you again. This ring,”

I floated up a similar ring to the one on my claw, this one with a sapphire set into the center and sized for a horn. “This ring shall always be a solid reminder of our commitment, and on those terrible nights we may have to spend apart, let this ground you in my eternal love.”

Luna dipped her head a little and I slid it onto her horn. Celestia flared her wings behind us, proclaiming, “By the power vested in me, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may- Oh!”

I didn’t wait for the last bit, sweeping Luna into my arms and pressing my lips to hers.

The crowd erupted behind us but I held onto Luna, my love, my rock, my wife.

Comments ( 2 )

Its not bad but the emotional issues were never resolved. Celestia never was forced to face the fact that she ignored her sister and tried to interfere with her relationship with her fiance. Discord only cause trouble as punishment for her ignoring Luna.

10834406
*shrug* yeah, this is like, my first published story on here so I didn’t have nearly as much experience on how to actually resolve plot points lol. I might get around to re-writing it someday because it does have a special place in my heart but who knows. Thanks for the read though!

Login or register to comment