• Published 26th Jul 2012
  • 2,084 Views, 26 Comments

The Real Pinkie Pie - Naryyn

  • ...
10
 26
 2,084

The Truth is Not Always Best

Magic surrounded the large boulder as Twilight Sparkle concentrated with all her might. A loud pop sounded through the room and Twilight smiled at the confused looking bull standing where the boulder was. “You have done well my faithful student.” Princess Celestia said stepping next to Twilight, “I think you are ready to teach in my school.”

Before she could respond, a loud pounding sound woke her up and Pinkie Pie barged into the room. “Twilight! Wake up wake up wake up!”

Rubbing the sleep from her eyes she looked at her friend bouncing around the room with a massive smile on her face. “Pinkie? What are you doing here? The library hasn’t been opened yet.”

“I know, but I have some big news that I couldn’t keep to myself anymore!”

Twilight was slightly confused at what her friend was saying and let go of her dream. “Well what is it Pinkie? I know it has to be something great if you’re waking me up this early for it.”

Pinkie stopped bouncing, although she kept trotting in place, “My sister Blinkie Pie is coming to visit today and I can’t wait for you to meet her! She rarely gets time off from the farm to come see me because daddy doesn’t believe in vacations.”

“That’s nice Pinkie but what about Inkie? I haven’t met her either and I would really like too.” Getting out of bed Twilight saw that Pinkie’s smile had been replaced with a slight frown.

“Inkie came last week, I guess I forgot to let you know.” She smiled again cheerfully, “There is always next time Twilight, but at least you get to meet Blinkie today!”

“Yeah although I am a little nervous to meet another member of the Pie family. She doesn’t have the energy you do right Pinkie?”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about Twilight.” She said before bouncing towards the door, “Let’s go, she should be walking into town right about now.”

Twilight shook her head and followed Pinkie out the door. I don’t think I’ll ever understand what Pinkie is all about. Oh well, I guess it’s better not to question her again after the tail twitching thing. Before leaving the library she left a note for Spike instructing him to look after patrons that may arrive while she was out.

As they walked through town Pinkie was talking about the things she used to do with her sister, but Twilight wasn’t paying attention, her thoughts were clouded by the dream Pinkie interrupted. Would Princess Celestia let me teach at her school? I know it was just a dream but it felt like there was more to it than that. I really wish Pinkie wouldn’t have barged in like she did.

Pinkie’s voice broke through her thoughts, “Look Twilight there she is!” This snapped her out of her concentration and she looked at where Pinkie was pointing. What she saw was not what she expected as Pinkie’s sister. Walking towards them was a beautiful young mare with a small grin on her face. What surprised Twilight more was that Blinkie’s coat was a dark grey, and her mane and tail were a brilliant platinum color that was straighter than she’d ever seen before.

“That’s your sister Pinkie?”

“Yep, that’s Blinkie!”

“Wow, she’s so much different that I thought.”

Pinkie didn’t seem to hear her though as Blinkie came close enough for her to hug. “Blinkie! How are you doing? I missed you so so much!”

“I’m doing fine Inkie, how have you been since I last visited?” Blinkie said as they broke their hug.

Pinkie didn’t say anything about being called the wrong name, instead she just continued with the conversation. “Oh I’ve been great! I met lot’s of new friends and helped stop some bad things from happening around town.” Twilight coughed lightly and Pinkie’s eyes widened, “Oh right I almost forgot, Blinkie this is my friend Twilight! She is Princess Celestia’s personal student, isn’t that great?”

Blinkie looked Twilight up and down before responding, “Pleased to meet you Miss Twilight, I hope you have been keeping my sister out of trouble.”

Smiling back she replied, “I try my best but as I’m sure you know already, she is quite a hoof-full.”

“Indeed,” Blinkie turned back to Pinkie, “Shall we continue these pleasantries inside Sugar Cube Corner? I am a little famished from the walk over here.”

“Sure thing sis, I’ll cook us up some cupcakes!” With that she bounced her way into the bakery without waiting for Twilight and Blinkie.

After they got settled into their seats and Pinkie was in the kitchen singing one of her songs while she baked, Twilight spoke up suddenly. “I’m sorry to bother you with this Blinkie but why is it that when you called Pinkie by Inkie’s name she didn’t react at all, but when I mention her she acts really strange?”

Blinkie’s face saddened and she sighed, “Well I was hoping I wouldn’t have to tell one of her friends about this, but it looks like I have no choice but to explain.”

"Explain what?”

Blinkie lowered her voice, “Pinkie isn’t who she says she is.”

Twilight frowned, “What do you mean?”

“The pony in the kitchen is actually Inkie, not Pinkie.”

“What?” Twilight shouted, “What do you mean she isn’t Pinkie?” Luckily Pinkie was making quite a ruckus and didn’t hear the outburst.

“Will you please keep your voice down? You don’t want to know what will happen if she over hears us.”

“I’m sorry, please continue.”

“Thank you, now as I was saying, Inkie has been living her life as Pinkie because she lost her mind to guilt over what happened to the real Pinkie.”

“Wait, the real Pinkie? What happened?” This is so confusing, Twilight thought, what could possibly have happened to drive a pony to live a lie?

“Well most of what Inkie probably told you about our childhood is true except for one small detail. Our sister Pinkie Pie had an accident out in the North field shortly after getting her cutie mark. She and Inkie were playing among the crop when Pinkie tripped and hit her head on a sharp rock jutting out of the ground.”

Twilight felt tears slowly running down her cheeks, “Oh dear Celestia that’s awful!”

Blinkie nodded, “Yes it is, and Inkie was so frightened at the sight of the blood that she couldn’t call for help. Our father found them about an hour later but by that time it was too late. Pinkie had died on the cold ground with no-pony but Inkie by her side.”

Tears flowed freely down Twilight’s face now and she couldn’t think of anything to say to Blinkie. This is so awful I can’t believe the real Pinkie died when she was just a filly. I couldn’t imagine what it would have been like to lose a family member that young.

Blinkie hesitated before moving on, “Inkie was so devastated by what happened that she blamed herself. Our parents tried to explain to her that it wasn’t her fault but she refused to listen to them. A few months passed and her mind had completely gone, when she had convinced herself that she was actually Pinkie.”

Twilight interrupted, “One thing I don’t understand is Pinkie told me that Inkie’s coat was a lighter grey than yours, how is it that it’s pink now?”

“Easy, Inkie believes that she is Pinkie so strongly that her body actually changed to fit her new mental state.”

“Alright I guess that makes sense but how come she isn’t in some kind of mental hospital where she can get some help?”

Blinkie shook her head, “She was for a little while but after an incident with a doctor, they decided it would be best to release her into a community that didn’t know who she was.”

“Why? Wouldn’t she be a danger to other ponies?”

The grey mare smiled, “Surprisingly no, unless somepony tries to tell her who she actually is, then she goes into a state between personalities. When this happens there is no way of knowing what she might do.”

Wiping her eyes Twilight said, “Are there any precautions in place to stop anything bad from happening?”

Nodding Blinkie replied, “Mr. and Mrs. Cake are actually highly trained psychiatrists here to watch over Inkie and make sure nothing sets her off.”

Just then Pinkie burst into the room with a cupcake covered plate balanced on her head. “Cupcakes are ready! Who wants to eat?”

Blinkie smiled and raised her hoof, “I do!” she turned back to Twilight and whispered, “Remember you cannot mention this to anypony. I like you Twilight and I do not want to relocate her because you let it slip one day.”

Twilight swiped her hoof across her mouth and said, “Don’t worry, I’ll make sure no-pony finds out, you have my word.”

Pinkie placed the plate on the table and sat down, “What are you guys talking about?”

Twilight managed to speak up before blinkie, “Oh you know, we were just getting to know each other.” Blinkie smiled at Twilight, “Wow Pinkie those smell delicious!”

The pink pony beamed, “Yep! I only use this recipe when one of my sisters come to visit.”

“They really are the greatest Pinkie, I always appreciate you making them.” The grey mare said as she picked up a cupcake and started to eat.

They spent the rest of the day telling stories and cracking jokes until finally it came time for Blinkie to leave. She gave both of them a hug, said her goodbyes and left. As they watched her walk away Pinkie spoke up, “Wow Twilight, I have never seen my sister coming to like somepony she just met so quickly, what did you two talk about?”

Twilight sniffled back tears, “Just some old stories Pinkie. Just some old stories.”

Comments ( 26 )

Lovely! Great work and a shocking backstory. Keep at it! :twilightsmile:

I should have checked the tags before reading.:fluttercry: You just got yourself a like!:pinkiesad2:

I has a sad nao :pinkiesad2:

Ice

Seems a bit short and you could have used a flashback to add detail and length to it instead of just giving a brief explanation. However somewhat good.

Short, Bitter, and a little dark. I'm okay with this.

Not bad, not bad at all.:pinkiesad2:

A bit of an infodump, and not much else.:unsuresweetie:

Will put this on read later. Just had to see that based only on the summary...well, I just had an image in my head of Pinkie running away from Pac-Man.

I have several comments:

one, Blinkie could have just responded "Oh did I? I must have misspoken." and avoid any risk to Inkie having a psychotic breakdown.

two, reminds me of This ending of silent ponyville just a wee bit

three, as others have said, it would have been more emotional and moving if you put in a flash back or something. Making longer would definitely help

978910
I am not quite sure what you mean by that first comment, as for the second one I have never read that story before so any likeness to it is purely coincidental.

Went way too fast. And seconding that I immediately thought of that Silent Ponyville ending. I just read it a couple days ago.

978910
Same here. Also reminds me of Silent Ponyville.

Anyways, that was a good story.

I LOVE the concept of the story. But it went by way to fast. I think it should have been stretched out with more detail.

And I agree with Donald-Trump-Card, Blinkie could have just said that she had accidentally called Pinkie Inkie.

It's... okay. The idea is good, but sounds very similar to Silent Ponyville save that Pinkie wasn't murdered, she died accidentally. I'm not too upset about the pacing of things, but it is a bit fast. Also, Inkie didn't have to tell Twi-she could've just said "I said Inkie? Oops, my mistake," and boom, problem averted. I probably would've done something like this.
"Oh, did I call her Inkie? My mistake," smiled Inkie, and Twilight nodded.
"They are very similar," she agreed, and Inkie sighed.
"No they're not," she said resignedly, and Twilight tilted her head, staring at the grey mare confusedly.
"What do you mean?"
"Pinkie isn't Pinkie. The Pinkie you know is... Inkie." Insert backstory here.

Besides that, there's a couple grammatical/mechanical mistakes that are noticeable, but not bad per se. Overall, have a thumb.

Yes! These are the kind of sad stories I like! You did very well on this story and I hope to read more stories from you soon!

So, Blinkie is a pathological liar who likes to make up traumatic stories.:pinkiegasp:

That's surprising.

I like this, uh-huh. Very nice backstory too. :twilightsmile:

Interesting read and I think I know where you got the idea from. (Party of None comes to mind.):pinkiecrazy:

I'm depressed now thanks:pinkiesad2:

I guess that explains why when she turns into Pinkamena her color dulls and her hair turns straight.

I can't... I don't want to... :pinkiesad2: I can't stop thinking "OMG, Pinkie is dead? Pinkie is dead? Pinkie is dead? Oh wait, this is a fan-fiction :facehoof:" :pinkiecrazy::rainbowlaugh:

I would sooner believe that pigs fly.

That's new and haven't seen anything like this before. I like it! :pinkiehappy:

The concept was nice but the story went way too fast, if there were any spelling or grammatical errors that I never noticed, I blame sleep deprivation.

This is a new kind of story. I like it.:twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment