• Published 25th Apr 2018
  • 1,917 Views, 56 Comments

Forgotten Realms, Bear forgotten Kings - The Ironclad Knight



Long ago the lands of Equis once housed another great kingdom, all scholars know this, but now? All that's left are cadavers & buried ruins... Yet one soul remains. One Forgotten King...

  • ...
2
 56
 1,917
This story has been marked as having adult content. Please click below to confirm you are of legal age to view adult material in your country.

Confirm
Comments ( 17 )

Okay, I can see where you want to go with that title, but you actually made an easy but funny mistake in it: you used "bare" - as in unclothed or otherwise naked - in place of "bear" - as in to carry or bring forth. Homophones are nasty like that.

IT LIVES!!!!!!!!!! Well things have gotten interesting.

9470323
Your completely right! And thus I have fixed it! Thanks for pointing that out to me!

You have a new fan.

9470436
/)°0°(\

My very first, truly Offical Fan?!

It’s like my first birthday party all over again!

ok i am enjoying this. ok i am tracking this. ok my thumb just went up.

Well that escalated quickly.

And instant grimdark... :facehoof:

Really? Was that really necessary? All this time, and we just get a bunch of ponies splattered by golems?

9473320
I’m sorry if what this chapter did made you upset, truly I am, and I can’t say if this’ll be a more common occurrence or not but do know that I did this simply to portray just how dangerous the city is. Even after all it’s inhabitants have gone...

Hopefully my following chapters will be more of what you wanna see, but I understand if you’ve lost interest because of this, some stories are just not fulfilling to some people. And I respect that!

Right, sudden gore and violence. Whether it's a onetime occurence or not, that Everyone rating seems woefully inaccurate right now.

9474080
You’re absolutely correct, and I’ve quickly corrected that mistake of mine! Thank you for bringing that to my attention! I hope I can chalk that error up to this being my first attempt at a story!

And again I must apologize to anyone whose upset by the direction this story took, if it upsets you then I’m sorry.
But I did what I thought was right and in tune with what I’d established so far in the story.
And, in tune with what I’ve said before in reference to criticism, I will learn from your words & do my duty to avoid such gore-filled chapters in the future!

9474197
No problem. Just be careful to tag correctly in the future. Not very good for anyone to jar any readers not expecting something.

9473906 It's the sort of thing you want to set up right away, or lead into gradually.

It's called 'setting the tone'. Think of how the Indiana Jones movies set up: an opening scene which immediately shows the audience what to expect.

Or take "Schindler's List". Yes, most know the history already, but the movie doesn't take advantage of that. It slowly escalates the tension and horror of the events, gradually, until that shocking moment of the ghetto massacre which finally strips away the last veneer of civility and introduced the vile 'main villain' Amon Goeth.

In a contrast, consider movies with awkward tone and sudden escalations of violence out of the blue which ticked everyone off. Or reveals that felt utterly absurd and out of place. We can pick from quite a list of Shyamalan films for that...

There's also the problem that we could pretty much see this coming because the ponies were doing something clearly stupid. Hey, there are magically-imbued things from a civilization we know nothing about. Let's pour magic into them despite having NO F'ING CLUE what will happen! Surely nothing can possibly go wrong! Seriously, if you framed that scene with just a little more sarcasm, it'd be comedic, because no sane person of any expertise in that area would ever do something that stupid.

If Twilight Sparkle was there, on the other hoof... well, let's face it, she's an idiot at common sense. She WOULD do it, because her messing up spells and causing half the problems she has to fix is quite established.

But these characters we've barely had 3,000 words to get to know. The world hasn't been established, they haven't really been established... and right off the bat all four characters you introduce us to are dead. Well, now we know not to have a vested interest in anyone, because at any moment they're going to do something dumb and get bumped off.

That's not an inviting tone for any story. Not even a generic horror movie, where at least one of the group of intended victims makes it to almost the end.

9475332
You are completely correct!
I’ll admit I completely overlooked this when making this chapter. Though I must admit this can be chalked up to me being inexperienced in writing stories, however that is not a viable excuse, so I will do the more mature thing and learn from my mistake!
So in future chapters I’ll do my very best to give the ponies more logical actions, and I’ll try to better establish a tone.

Again, I’m sorry I disappointed you Alondro, I hope that I can potentially fix it in future chapters should you decide to keep interest with the story!

9475547 It'd be best to establish how competent these ponies are in their respective fields. And keep in mind the characters personalities and experience. You need at least ONE cautionary character, because you never want have a team where everyone blindly rushes in without hesitation, unless you're talking about a typical hero group in a battle or sword-and-sorcery story. And even then, adding in a 'voice of reason' or someone who's naturally worried makes it feel more organic.

Also, consider the larger world. Is this world exactly the same as the show's Equestria? At what time in the show is it taking place? How do major nation-affecting events from the show influence the actions and thoughts of the characters? If it's pre-NMM, then perhaps they will be utterly incautious, as they've had a thousand years where NOTHING bad has happened (apparently!). If it's immediately post-Discord, then good lord would they ever be freaked out about statues with traces of magic! If it's post Crystal Empire, they'd have learned to be wary of magical traps. The information gleaned by the Bearers is the sort that would assuredly filter down among related professions.

Always remember, the best stories realize that their narrative isn't taking place in a vacuum. There's a whole world out there that's having an influence on the characters. This is true even in a cloistered, claustrophobic setting. A typical person is going to have the outside world on his or her mind, even if the only notion is trying to escape to it from the horror they're trapped within.

You can always have one or two of the 'obsessed' personalities detached from everything else as part of their eccentricities. But they should be the exception for characters, not the rule. You couldn't have a functioning society if everyone within it was only ever concerned with their own narrow field of vision and constantly forgot the rest of the world existed. Again: imagine a world where everyone had Lavender Unicorn Syndrome... with no Spike to feed them now and then. :twilightblush:

When will you update this??

is this story dead or is the author taking a break?

Login or register to comment