• Published 9th Apr 2018
  • 625 Views, 9 Comments

The Mare and the Mailbox - sevenofeleven



A mare encounters a strange stalker.

  • ...
 9
 625

Chapter One

The Mare and the Mailbox


Golden Harvest, Goldie had thought that the day was going to be fine. A few hours later, that changed…

It had been close, she had been listening to her favorite band, Stone Roaches singing, “I want to be a horse” when screams from the hallway and not too distant rumblings got her attention.

Then somepony banged on her door and yelled, “There's a monster heading this way. Get out!”

Goldie had scant seconds to go to her closet and get the iron lockbox that had all of her important documents and bolt out the door. She gasped and panted as she left her building and crossed the street.

Several ponies joined her then other ones showed up with their cellphones to watch the events. Assorted howls and blasts of magic threatened to deafen her until the battle moved away. Then her building collapsed with a roar and a choking red dust cloud. Among the gasps and cheers, there were groans and cries.

Then it started to rain. The raindrops mixed with Goldie's tears and she took another look at the lockbox that was now all of her possessions. In her mind, the same words went over and over like a favorite song. What am I going to do? I have no home. What am I going to do?


Hours later, Goldie lay in a Catastrophic Services bed with a thin scratchy brown blanket over her yellow withers. It was better than nothing, but she barely cared. Her bright green eyes stared off into the distance. There were so many churning thoughts of loss. Her comfy home that she had spent years in was gone. Reassuring thoughts that Catastrophic Services would help her find a new home or that her friends would help by letting her stay at their homes were drowned out by her current gloomy outlook.

“Excuse me, Ms. Harvest?”

Scenes of her friends shaking their heads as she asked them for help filled her mind. Even if they said yes, there was the issue of being a burden. She didn’t hear anything while absorbed in her thoughts.

“Ms. Harvest?” Somepony said a bit louder.

The idea that Catastrophic Services could help was also dismissed. She could imagine them showing her all sorts of homes with rents that she couldn’t afford. The word around town was that since they had a princess nearby, lots of outsiders and businesses were moving in. Also some of her customers complained of rent going up. Maybe there was nothing that could be done about that and she was going to be homeless, but maybe that voice she barely heard could help?

The voice sighed. “I have some good news for you, but I see that you're in no shape to talk.”
Somepony turned to walk away.

Goldie croaked, “Wait.” She forced her body to sit up. Even her orange mane and tail felt heavy like lead. She saw a brown earth pony stallion with a black mane and tail turn around and face her.

“I'm Home Seller. Several of your friends reached out to me and requested that I find a decent home for you.”

Goldie blinked.

Home Seller looked around then at Goldie “I've found a low-cost home for you.”

Goldie blinked again. She really didn't want to get her hopes up. But the idea that she could have a new home was enticing. It wouldn't feel like her last place, but what would? Besides, it beat living on the street. “Please show me.”

“First, I would like to offer my condolences for your loss. I can't imagine the pain,” Home Seller said then pulled a binder out of his saddlebags. He flipped through some pages and stopped at an entry. It was a two story house with a yellow paint job with white highlights.

“Now, this house has a few minor issues, needs some paint and the lawn needs a bit of work. The neighborhood is under-utilized but the price is low. We have a deal with the property owner to rent this house to you for fifty bits a month. I'll even throw in a cart so you don't have to carry stuff in your mouth.”

Goldie got out of bed and craned her neck to look at the house. It was as Home Seller said. A thought snaked in, maybe it was worse than that? She pushed that thought back, it might be a long time before she could find a house that was decent and affordable. The low price of fifty bits also seemed suspicious. “Why is this neighborhood under-utilized? Do changelings live nearby? Is it on a monster migration path?”

Home Seller looked at her and then away. “Um, most ponies see this as a starter neighborhood. They make enough money then they move out. Please understand that I have the same friends you do. If I cheat you, they would get back to me and I like having friends.”

Goldie gazed at the pictures of the house. She just knew there was something off somewhere but what could she do? Maybe she was better off not looking a gift pony in the mouth? “Fine, give me the paperwork.”

Home Seller smiled.


When Goldie appeared in Sunrise Heights next day, she was filled with dismay. Every other house was boarded up and looked so awful she expected to see a condemned sign. The other homes looked like the laziest ponies lived there. Trash and carts without wheels covered their yellow grass yards. She had watched too many movies on crime and horror to not recognize a dead zone where anypony could just disappear without a trace. On the other hoof, those were just fictional, and this was real life. She sighed and turned her gaze to her new home.

Home Seller’s pictures kinda downplayed the peeling paint problem. There were so many paint chips that foals from miles around would be poisoned. Goldie sighed again, she hated painting. Paint always seemed to splash everywhere and the remover stuff made her cough and choke. She reluctantly turned her gaze to the lawn.

Dead, now, this was beyond death. The pale brown dirt wouldn't support the most aggressive of weeds. Goldie was quite sure even plastic plants would wither away. Years of raising carrots had given her a good feel for soil and this stuff in her lawn didn't deserve the name. Heck, even in its most optimistic of days, it didn't deserve to even think the word.

Again Goldie sighed. She worried about what she had paid for. Another look around found her something else to sigh about. The mailbox was black with a red flag. A quick glance down the block showed that even the abandoned houses had decent looking white mailboxes.

Why did her house have an edgelord mailbox?

She sighed again, then pulled the mewling cart up to her doorway. The poor thing squeaked like a kitten in pain. Goldie didn't understand where the noise was coming from. Every part that moved was oiled. Heck, the cart dripped oil. She looked down with a frown. It would suck if the cart leaked onto her walkway. Too late, there were some stains. Again, she shrugged. That could be dealt with later, she didn't want to end the day sleeping on a bare floor.

At least the key worked in the door without any fuss. Goldie stepped into the house expecting all sorts of terrible stuff. Well, at first glance she could see that the foyer and the living room needed a painting and furniture. That wasn't too much of a problem. She cantered to the kitchen and looked at the fridge.

It looked like a white fridge with no extra goodies but with no obvious issues. She opened the fridge and was surprised that it was empty and didn't stink. The freezer box was also empty. That was a bit annoying since there was no ice tray. Goldie closed the fridge and tried out the kitchen faucet.

After some gurgling and spitting, the water flowed out brown and rusty, but it didn’t take long for the water to clear. A small smile tried to cross her face. She replaced it with a frown when she thought about there might be other issues with the rest of the house. It might be too early to celebrate.

Goldie searched the house thoroughly, upstairs and downstairs. She expected gaping holes, armies of vermin or other issues. Instead, she just found that the house needed a fresh coat of paint and that the shower curtain was a bit grimy. She allowed herself a smile, then went downstairs to get her stuff out of the cart.

CS had been generous: they had provided food and water, bedding, a futon, and some other necessities. This was another time Goldie was glad she was self-employed selling carrots and carrot accessories. She could take some time to move in and then get back to work. Stall location fees don’t pay themselves.

After a few more hours getting items out of the cart, putting her futon in just the right spot and finally making dinner, she started to yawn. Goldie smiled again, it seemed like things were getting better. Tomorrow, she would continue moving in. She went off to bed somewhat happy.


Morning came with the chirping of birds and a metallic screech. Goldie looked out the window just in time to see a gray pegasus with a blonde mane and tail fly down the block. She went downstairs to the mailbox and found that the flag was up. She was surprised at the amount she got: a bunch of bills, some items from CS and a plain gray envelope. She took the bundle indoors and sat on the staircase.

The CS stuff was a hoof-full: orientation pamphlets, some booklets about keeping a positive outlook and phone numbers to counselors. There was a lot to wade through. Finally, she read the gray envelope.

Your mane and tail are like the setting sun, I'm in love!

She gaped, not sure what to make of it. Somepony was in love with her? A bright smile covered her face. This week was already looking up for her. Goldie got the cart and spent the day taking it back to Home Seller's office. When she got back home, it was ’Scrub The Black Stains From The Leaking Cart’ time. Goldie could've done with less of that.


The next day, she got another gray envelope. She opened it while smiling.

I wish I could be a pretty flower or the cloud pattern that brings a smile to your face and makes your emerald eyes glow. I envy the gentle breezes that caress your soft yellow fur.

That put a glow in her heart and her hooves felt lighter. Somepony around here was interested in her. For a moment, she stopped and thought about who. She had a lot of stallion customers that she knew for years. Why would they wait now to send her letters? Some of them were married. Goldie frowned, that could get messy. What about somepony in the neighborhood? She hadn’t seen anypony at all. How did they even know she was here? Maybe it was Home Seller or someone from CS? Home Seller just seemed to be just a salespony and the CS folks were just helping out. There was no romantic spark from either of them. She shook her head, it seemed that for now the source of the letters would have to be an interesting mystery.

Maybe the answer would come in her dreams? She smiled and went upstairs.


The next week brought more letters. Unlike the previous set, these had a pleading almost desperate feel to them. These letters made her want to cringe.

You walk past me like I don’t exist. Please, please free me from this lonely hell. Write me please.

Maybe, she thought, I don’t want to meet this stallion.

The next week came and Goldie went back to work. That was welcome because she needed more spending money. She would have to save some bits to hire somepony to paint her house. Let that pony and helpers fuss with paint in their fur.

Goldie was surprised when her friends Blueberry Curls and Daisy dropped by her stall. Business was slow so the visit was welcome.

Blueberry was the first to stick out her pale yellow hoof. “Yo, homie! How are you doin’?”

Daisy rolled her green eyes. “Really Blue? Don't you know Goldie has been through a lot? A hoof bump won't do! Come here for a hug!” She threw open her pale magenta forelegs.

Goldie gladly moved in for a hug. She didn't realize how lonely she was.

Blueberry sighed. “So how's your new crib?”

For a second, Goldie wondered what Blueberry was talking about. That happened every once in a while. Blueberry used to live in Da Broncos, north of Manehattan. They had a different way of talking there. Then she remembered that crib could also mean home. “It needs a good lick of paint, and the lawn is dead. But other than that it's good.”

Daisy smiled. “Hey, if you need help with painting, I can help.”

Blueberry nodded and made her curls bounce. “No probs. You can count on me too. So did Home Seller do right by you?”

Daisy looked at Goldie. “ He's kinda skeezy but sometimes you can see there's a decent pony underneath.”

Blueberry frowned. “Gotta look hard, real hard!” Her eyes narrowed like she was peering into his soul.

Goldie wasn’t sure she wanted to talk about her dead zone neighborhood. She had few complaints with the house. Blueberry’s statement made her nervous. It was like she was trying to force Goldie to feel buyer’s remorse. Then again, maybe she needed to know what else was wrong.

Blueberry and Daisy exchanged glances.

“Goldie, where is the house? What neighborhood?” Daisy said.

“Sunrise Heights,” Goldie said.

Again, Blueberry and Daisy exchanged glances.

Goldie didn't like that. She just knew bad news was coming.

Daisy sighed. “Sunrise Heights. Well, it's not a bad neighborhood-”

Blueberry interrupted. “Seriously? It's a 'hood in which ponies find it so bad they bust their plots to make enough to move out. What did Home Seller tell you? Don't worry about his feelings!” She narrowed her eyes like she was sending him stink.

Goldie looked down then up. “He told me the neighborhood was a starter neighborhood.”

Daisy looked at Blueberry. “That's not a lie.”

Blueberry waved her left foreleg dismissively. “I've heard stuff about that area that would turn your mane white. Maybe you would be better off living near a changeling hive, Goldie.”

Goldie shook her head. “Changelings are gross. I don't want to live near them. Hey, the neighborhood is very quiet. I’m happy with my new home.”

Blueberry nodded. “No probs. Let us know when we can come by for a housewarming. Though we'll keep the heat down since I doubt that area has a fire department.”

Daisy rolled her eyes. “Really Blue, do you have to be so dramatic?”

Blueberry struck a modeling pose. “Yes, that's why you love me.”

Daisy placed her forehooves on the side of her head. “Oh, my!”

Goldie burst out laughing. She would've laughed some more, but a customer came by.

Daisy and Blueberry waved and left the stall.

Goldie decided to plan when she could invite them to her house when it had decent furniture. Right now, a futon and a kitchen table with one chair weren’t enough. The day slowed down again and she went home.


As usual, there were more love letters, but Goldie had lost interest. There was also a bit of fear too. Again she wondered why would a stallion not want to meet her even though the letters screamed that he wanted her.

It wasn’t like she was a snooty pony with her muzzle in the air. No, she thought of herself as a down to earth pony. Anypony could talk to her.

Another strange thought surfaced. How did the stallion get his letters in her mailbox when she was home on the weekends? Raising the flag made quite a screech. She should’ve been able to see somepony put the letters in when she was home. But no, she never saw anypony. When she was at work, well, that was another story. Somehow, she has to be able to see who’s sending her these letters. Then she remembered how one of the other sellers in the market caught some thieves. Strawberry used some sort of camera. There was a Thaumaturgy Shack , a place where ponies can buy some magical artifacts and toys not far from her stall. She could buy a device from them that would allow her to see who was leaving the letters. Goldie smiled, now she would find out how the love-filled letters got in her mailbox


The next day she bought the Divinex Watch System 300, it was kinda expensive. Maybe she could've saved those hundred bits, but Goldie wanted to know. The nice thing about the Divinex was that unlike a camera that needed line of sight, she could put it off to the side of a window facing the mailbox. No pony would see it, and she would find out what she needed to know. The device had other features like the ability to send text alerts to her phone. That would be too distracting but the movement activated picture printer was a better option.

After the device was set up, Goldie went to bed. The next day she went to work hoping that her mystery would be solved. Hours dragged on but she managed to sell some carrots. By the time she got home, it was dark. She looked at the pile of pictures on the floor, hopefully. Now, she thought, I will find out who is leaving these messages.

Goldie scooped up the photos and went into the kitchen to look at them. Of course, she turned on the lights. Each picture had a timestamp so it was easy to put them in order. The pictures just showed the mailmare dropping off letters and flying down the block. Later on, two fillies just strolled past her house. They were too interested in their cellphones to even look around.

After looking at the pictures several times, Goldie felt disappointed. That meant that the unicorn placing the pictures in her mailbox was using magic. She thought about going outside and going down the block to check on her neighbors. Maybe her unknown letter writer lived down the block? A chill raced down her back and the idea was abandoned. She knew better than to walk around this area at night.

For a moment, she stopped. Why was she so scared to step out at night? She had never heard or saw anything dangerous. It was just a feeling that being outside at night wasn't safe. Goldie shrugged. The time to fuss with that wasn't now. It was almost time to deal with sleep. She trudged off to bed.


When the sun rose and birds chirped, Goldie went outside to inspect the mailbox. The pole was covered with white peeling paint. That wasn't different than the other mailboxes in the area. She sniffed around, there was nothing offensive. Just the smell of sun-warmed paint..

Gingerly, she placed a hoof on the mailbox. Nothing happened.

Then she heard a rustle and the flag went up with a screech.

Goldie looked around, there was nopony in the area. Slowly she opened the mailbox. Maybe there was a squirrel inside? She hadn't seen any in the area. Or maybe it was a nasty rat? Hadn't seen any around here either. That made her pause. This was the type of area they liked. Lots of abandoned buildings, not that many ponies. Was she living in an area that was so messed up that rats turned up their filthy little snouts at it? With a frown, she pushed that thought back and gathered up her courage to open the door. Nothing jumped out. There was the usual gray envelope.

For a moment she looked at it as though it was going to bite before taking the letter back in the house. Of course, the letter had the usual love-sick stuff in it.

Your touch was like the faintest sweetest breeze.

Goldie was sure some unicorn was messing with her. For now, she had no idea what to do about the letters. There was something she had to do. Take a shower.

She was having a good time under the warm water belting out “Open your eyes” when she heard something metallic scraping across the bathroom floor. For a quick second, she thought she saw something dark on the floor through the curtain. Goldie yanked the shower curtain back only to see nothing. She peered closely at the floor and saw a black scuff mark.

Goldie dried herself off with a blanket. The shape seen through the curtain was almost the size of a mailbox. She almost didn’t want to believe that. There was one thing to do to verify what she saw. She went out to the mailbox and tried to look under it. That was too much work so she went back inside the house and got a mirror. It took her a few seconds to see what she dreaded. A white mark on the underside of the mailbox. It wasn't paint, it was from the bathroom tile floor.

She stepped back and almost dropped the mirror. Maybe a unicorn was messing with her? But a stranger thought rose up. She blocked it. No, she wouldn't accept that. Goldie went back into the house to get ready for work.


During the long and annoying day, she was too busy to think about what happened. As the sunset and the shadows grew, her thoughts turned to her problem. When she got to the mailbox, the flag was up. She got the gray envelope and sighed. Goldie waited until she was inside to read the message inside.

Your voice is sweeter than the voices of alicorns. Please sing some more.

Fear ran its frozen claws down her back. She had no idea what to do with this. It was just a prank by some sicko unicorn, she thought. There was another idea, but again, she didn't let it form.

What could she do? Calling the police was out. They wouldn't be interested unless she got hurt or killed. Also, since the letters were nice and not hateful, she could imagine the cops either not being interested or waiting a while before helping. Goldie needed somepony with magical powers.

Maybe Twilight Sparkle could help? Goldie didn’t really know her other than from the one time when the princess told her she was doing a great job watering plants. Then again, she knew Applejack better because Applejack sold apples at the market. It might be possible to use her to get to the princess. That idea was dashed when Goldie remembered that she hadn’t seen Applejack for a few days. Rumors from customers had it that the Elements of Harmony were all over Equestria, doing whatever elements do. She still needed some magical help.

Then she remembered Daisy had a friend that was a researcher at Hoofvard. Hoofvard was one of the most prestigious schools of magic. It was a long shot. but maybe this researcher could convince her unseen admirer to leave her alone. If he couldn’t do anything, maybe he knew somepony that could help her out. Goldie smiled; was there maybe a light at the end of this nightmare tunnel?

She fell asleep still smiling. In her dream, she was walking down a busy street. It had a familiar but not familiar feel to it. Assorted ponies and creatures thronged the sidewalk. Not enough for her to feel crowded though. The sun shone warmly on her coat. Goldie trotted past stores with vaguely familiar facades, but it didn’t scare her. It just seemed like she could walk down this street forever.

Goldie gazed in a window, and saw something that made her flinch. She saw in the reflection a black stallion with bright red eyes. He was just standing there looking. Goldie looked across the street, but the stallion was gone.

Cool grey clouds moved in, and the warm sun cooled off. She walked down the street. It seemed that this area wasn’t as high class as the other one. The items for sale were tacky and some looked like they had been used before. Windows were smeared with dirt and cracked. Also, the passersby were more noisy and vaguely threatening. Then there were the whiffs of manure and rotten vegetables she would get once in a while. Goldie decided to turn around and go back to the better neighborhood, but the crowd seemed too thick in that direction. She sighed and continued down the street.

She saw the black stallion again, he was across the street. Then a zebra covered with oozing sores blocked her view for a few moments. When the sickly creature was gone, so was the black stallion.

Goldie wanted to wake up, things were getting worse. The sun was gone and night was moving in. Now, few stores had windows, most of them were boarded up and covered with threatening looking graffiti. Even the sidewalk was cracked and Goldie had to watch her step. She didn’t want to think what would happen if she fell down. The half-sick cursing and thronging crowd would probably trample her without a second thought.

She continued down the street while decrepit creatures that barely looked like ponies crowded and pushed against her. The smells were more intense now, too bad they were all disgusting. Rotting flesh, vomit, manure and other smells that Goldie didn’t want to know assaulted her nose.

Goldie didn’t know why but she kept seeing the black stallion in the crowd everywhere. She would look and see him, something would block her view then when it cleared, the stallion would be gone. Then he would show up somewhere else.

Finally, she pushed her way through the crowd to look down the street. What she saw, made her want to wake up even more. A few blocks away, the street ended in darkness with just a few red flickers of light.

Something pulled her back into the throng. Goldie kicked something that squished but it didn’t do any good. She was being carried toward the blackness. Again, she thrashed and kicked but more creatures showed up to replace the ones she smashed.

The darkness was four blocks away, now, it was only two blocks. The stench was enough for Goldie to barf up her guts. Now, she was one block away. The ponies and creatures were just a writhing river of black and red flesh carrying her to the darkness. Then she was a half a block from the cold hungry void. There it was right in front of her. Something screeched. It sounded like when the flag on the mailbox is raised. She had little time to think about it as she flew toward the darkness...

Goldie awoke with a scream!

After that nightmare she didn’t want to sleep anymore, but Goldie knew she had to get more sleep. She spent too many hours staring at the ceiling until sleep finally came. A moment later, the alarm clock went off.
She had to gulp coffee to keep going and not break her jaw yawning through the too long day. Of course, buying all of that coffee cut into her pay and when the day was finally over, she felt run down. The only good thing was getting the phone number of Spellfixer, a friend of a friend. She drank some more coffee and called him. To her surprise, he agreed to meet her in a local Hayburger's at lunchtime the next day. Maybe she thought, things were finally going her way. Then she remembered that she had to go home and sleep. Her smile faded.


Goldie stepped into the Hayburgers and regretted it. The place was just too noisy. Crying foals, colts and fillies talking loudly, and of course, ponies on cell phones. She wondered if she should get some earplugs. With a sigh, she continued into the crowded place.

She focused on getting through the churning crowd and finding Spellfixer. He had given a description of himself over the phone, red coat, yellow eyes and a dark blue mane cut short.

Spellfixer saw her and waved.

She had to do some pushing through the crowd to get to her seat. Nopony complained and finally she was able to sit at Spellfixer’s table.

Spellfixer held up his right forehoof. “Give me a second.”

Goldie watched as his horn flashed. The cacophony around them lowered in volume until it was an indistinct mutter. “What did you do?” she asked him.

Spellfixer smiled. “I cast a spell that helps us hear each other but stops others from overhearing us. You can talk to me in complete confidence; nopony will eavesdrop. Well, Ms. Harvest.”

“Please call me Goldie,” Goldie said.

“Goldie, please tell me why you need my help,” Spellfixer said while keeping an eye on the crowd.

Goldie sighed. There was a lot to tell and she wasn’t sure if all of it would fit in the time they had. She told Spellfixer what had happened to her.

He just nodded then sipped more of his shake. “Do you have the pictures from the Divinex Watch System?”

“Yes, but the pony never showed up on it,” Goldie said then looked away at the crowd then she looked back.

“Well, it's possible to hack a divination spell, but you have to be very skilled at it,” Spellfixer said.

Goldie nodded.

“Well, Goldie, you have my interest. I don’t like when ponies take advantage of other ponies because they can. This guy might need some persuasion to leave you alone.” Spellfixer’s eyes narrowed. “If you want to know why I don’t charge you, well, I spend a lot of my time in magical research and I sometimes like to get my hooves dirty with real world situations.”
He smiled. “Also Daisy seemed to be really concerned about you.”

“Sounds great, but how do I know you can help me?” Goldie said then gazed at Spellfixer.

Spellfixer straightened up and gave Goldie a frank look. “I have a Ph.Ds in Invocation, the manipulation of energy and Transmutation, changing the properties of matter. I also have degrees in some other magic areas, but they might not be relevant to your situation. I don’t deal with ghosts and the like. Don’t have the background for that. If that pesky love letter writer is beyond my skills to deal with, I have colleagues that can help me. I will call them if needed. Do you still want my help?”

That put her at ease. If Spellfixer failed, he will get help. Eventually, things will be taken care of. Then a strange though snaked in. What if it wasn’t a unicorn? She pushed that thought away.

“Um, do I have to pay you?” Goldie leaned forward.

“Ha, nope. I might need some food and a bed.” Spellfixer waved a fore leg dismissively.

Goldie frowned. “I sleep in a futon from CS, and it's getting lumpy.”

Spellfixer laughed. “Catastrophic Services is getting lumpy? Now that's news!”

Goldie laughed. “My futon is getting lumpy. I don't have a bed yet.”

“Don't worry, I'll just buy a sleeping bag and expense it. So, let's see. You get off of work at five?” He checked his watch.

“Yes.” Goldie nodded.

“Well, I can meet you at your stall and then we can go to your home.” Spellfixer said then looked up at the churning mass of ponies walking past.

“Do you know where the produce stalls are?” Goldie said while looking to see if she had to start shoving her way clear.

“I'll follow my nose. Don't worry. Do you need me to help you escape?” Spellfixer said.

Goldie shook her head, then got up. She rushed off through the crowd. It was busy at her stall later and she was still dealing with customers when she saw Spellfixer standing outside.

He waited patiently until the last customer left then walked in.

“Would you like some fine carrots sir?” Goldie said and smiled.

Spellfixer frowned. “Not now, but can I buy some from you later? I still feel some of my earlier lunch. Thank goodness, you don’t sell celery. Horrid stuff. Did you know they made a soda out of celery in Manehattan?”

“No, I didn't.” Goldie placed the last batch of carrots in the storage bin and locked it.

“Drank a can of the stomach-churning stuff on a bet. Kept it down too. Do you need help?” He grimaced then held out a fore leg.

“Thank you but I’m fine. I just have to clean up but it won't take long.” A few minutes later they were walking to the bus stop. Spellfixer shared some stories and made the ride home interesting.

When they reached Goldie's stop and got off, Spellfixer grimaced. “There's a strange feel here.” He looked at Goldie.

She looked back at him with a confused look on her face. “What's wrong?”

He looked around. “This neighborhood, there’s something off about it. Unfortunately, I can’t quite describe what I’m feeling.”

Spellfixer straightened up. “Well, that’s another thing to check out tomorrow. No problem, we have a mailbox to study. Though be be honest, I probably will do a more in-depth scan in the morning when I’m fully rested.”

They walked to the house.

Goldie tried to remember the last time she had walked with a stallion. No memories came to mind.

Spellfixer stood in front of the mailbox. His horn went glowed red then green. He whispered, “Damn, almost got something.”

“Got what?” Goldie peered at Spellfixer. She wondered if she would get an answer so soon.

“Hmm, I almost sensed something. Maybe it was nothing.” Spellfixer looked at Goldie.

A strange thought arose in Goldie’s mind. What if there was no unicorn and- She pushed that thought away. It was just too crazy. It was a unicorn messing with her for some reason.“What do you sense?”

At that moment, Spellfixer's stomach growled. “Hunger, and I have to hit the little colt's room.”

“No, the mailbox!” Goldie’s eyes narrowed.

“Well, I thought I sensed something, but I really have to go!” Spellfixer said then looked at the house.

Goldie cantered to the door and unlocked it. “Straight past the kitchen, you can't miss it.” She was a bit disappointed that Spellfixer had learned nothing but then again maybe she was rushing things.

Spellfixer nodded in thanks before he galloped past her so quickly that her mane and tail blew back.

Goldie went to the kitchen then washed her forehooves so she could prepare dinner. She had made dinners a lot for herself but now she had a stallion as a guest to check out her cooking. Then again she was going to be warming up food from the freezer.

An hour later after eating, Spellfixer looked at the pictures from the surveillance system. “Well now, that's disquieting. It seems that the fillies and mailmare sensed something about the mailbox. I wonder why I can't? Maybe it's the time? What do you think?”

Goldie shrugged. “I sniffed the mailbox and didn't smell anything other than sun-warmed paint.”

“No matter. I thank you for the tasty yam and okra pies.” Spellfixer waved a foreleg.

Goldie smiled. “Well, you can thank Marie Calenhorse for the pies.”

Spellfixer put his right forehoof over his heart. “What would I be without Ms. Calenhorse or Buckton Market? I'll tell you, hungry!”

They both laughed until Goldie yawned.

Spellfixer grinned. “Come, Goldie, I will show you a special type of magic.”

“Um, I think it might be too early for that. I barely know you,” Goldie said and stepped back.

Spellfixer flinched. “What? Oh! Well, no, not that. Do you want to see how I solved the bed problem?”

“Really?” Goldie’s ears perked up. She loved seeing magic being done.

“Yes. Show me to a room that has the least amount of paint chips. I get hungry at night,” Spellfixer smiled.

“Really?” Goldie peered at Spellfixer.

“No,” Spellfixer smiled.

Goldie took him to the bedroom upstairs then went back downstairs for a broom. She spent a bit of time sweeping. While she swept, she wondered how long it would take before she knew the truth. So far, Spellfixer hadn’t found anything, but then again maybe he was tired. It was probably too much to ask him to work at night. Maybe she would learn more in the morning?

When the floor was clear, Spellfixer pulled out a drawing of a fancy bed from his saddlebags then placed the picture on the floor. “Watch and be amazed!” His horn glowed blue and red.

The drawing turned into a bed. It was too small for a pony but the right size for a mouse. Spellfixer grunted as the bed grew larger.

Goldie's eyes widened too as she watched the bed expand.

Spellfixer slumped to his knees. “Darn, I didn't think the power requirements were this high. Well, it's done.”

Goldie didn't think so. The bed was still a bit smaller than Spellfixer.

He looked at the bed. “I can sleep in it even though my legs will stick out. I wish you a good rest.”

“I hope so, but I doubt it.” Goldie sighed. She remembered some of the nightmare.

“Why?” Spellfixer leaned forward.

“I had a pretty bad nightmare the night before last. There’s this black coated, red-eyed stallion.. He doesn't do anything but things just go badly.”

“Hmm. I don’t know what to do with that. Well, get what you can. I, um, can’t really help you with nightmares. I know someone who could help you. I’ll give her a call if you still have problems. Have to make a note to tweak the bed expander spell. Good night.”

“Good night.” Goldie headed downstairs to clean up the kitchen. It seemed that maybe just maybe things were going to get better. Maybe she would get a good night sleep too.

That wish got granted when she awoke. No dreams about strange ponies. She cantered upstairs to Spellfixer's room and knocked. There was no reply. She opened the door.

His bed was empty. She could still see his imprint in the bed sheets but he was gone. Goldie went through the house looking for her missing guest. There was no sign of him anywhere. No notes either. She had to get ready for work and reluctantly gave up on the search. Maybe he got called by his bosses and had to go to the office or something? It seemed like a faint hope but that was all she had. Goldie showered and left for work.

It was a busy day at the stall, there was little time to worry about Spellfixer. As the sun started to set, worries like the lengthening shadows started to creep in. After what seemed like eons she was at her house. Even though the moon was rising, the dark windows gave her a clue that Spellfixer hadn't returned. She entered her house and looked for him anyway.

Silence and shadows were all she found. Then her phone rang, making her jump. “H-hello?”

A gruff voice was on the other side. “This is Firestone, one of Spellfixer's colleagues. He has a message for you. It's not a unicorn, it's the mailbox. Get out now! I will arrive soon with help but please get your plot out of that house and away from that mailbox now!”

“What? How is Spellfixer?”

“GO NOW!”

Goldie dropped the phone and ran to a closet where she kept her lock box. A thought ran through her head. Again, she was on the run from things. Wait, this wasn't some three-story high monster she was fleeing, it was a mailbox. Anger started to boil inside her. She tried to use logic against her rising fury, but it failed. She looked out the window and saw the silvery light of the moon bathe the mailbox.

The freakin thing looked so innocent, she thought, as she dropped her lock box outside. Her fury rose up and she could barely contain it. Goldie cantered up to the mailbox. “Here's a gentle caress for you!” Then she struck the mailbox. It rang like a bell.

Her vision filled with red as she struck the mailbox with her left forehoof, then turned and kicked it with a strong rear hoof. Her target flew off the pole and landed in the street. Goldie didn't waste any time cantering over and stomping on the mailbox with her forehooves until it was flat and the flag broke off and flew across the street.

“DO YOU LOVE ME NOW?” she yelled. Then Goldie looked around. In any other neighborhood, somepony would be watching her, but there was no one. She might have been on the moon. That thought extinguished the embers of rage. Then she heard a strange noise.

It sounded like someone playing the sound of something being crumpled up backward. She didn't want to look, but she had to. The mailbox was no longer flat, as if she hadn’t stomped it in blind rage. A chill raced down her back. She ran back into the yard for her lockbox, and grabbed it in a panic before she ran down the road. One look back showed the flag moving across the road to the mailbox. She didn't want to be around when the mailbox repaired itself.

Goldie stopped watching and faced forward. She galloped away. Maybe, she thought, I can escape.

One moment she was galloping down a deserted street for her life and the next she was in a black void. Every few minutes, red streaks would zip past her. Goldie learned quickly not to look at them too closely. Her eyes would start burning. She tried to move around but nothing happened.

Then the screaming started. It was filled with feelings of betrayal and rage. Goldie looked around for an exit but there was nothing, but the eye searing red lines. They started to fly around her. She tried to kick her way out, but the lines congealed into an uncomfortable chair. Again, she tried to squirm but she was held fast. Goldie couldn’t move her head.

A voice boomed, “You’re one of them. Ones who take my emotions and throw them away like trash, like manure.”

Goldie tried to reply but it was like screaming into a hurricane.

“I sat on that post and bared my soul to you and you ignored me!” The cage made of red light shook Goldie like a terrier shaking a rat.

“They betrayed me too! But I got back at them,” images of different mares appeared in front of Goldie. There were so many. Then the images changed to some female dragons and even a few changelings.

Her mind spun as she thought about all of the victims and the time involved. She wondered if she would survive this. Again, Goldie tried to escape but she was held fast.

“You even brought an interloper to replace me! I’ve dealt with him,” images of stallions and male dragons also appeared in front of Goldie.

She recognized Spellfixer as the first one.

“I sent them all away, interlopers and betrayers, but not before I gave them my messages to others. Soon you, betrayer, will have a message to share.” A red shape flashed into view in front of Goldie.

Just by looking at it Goldie could tell it was sharp. She had knives at the stall with which to cut up carrots and she could see the bright cutting edge. The red shininess approaching her had that feel too.

The sharpness was almost up to her face when it faded away. The redness shook her again then dropped her. Before Goldie passed out she smelled old hay fry oil...


Goldie sprang upright screaming, “It got me, let me go!” She kept screaming, “Let me go! Don’t cut me up!” until somepony held her close for a few moments.

Then the pony stepped back. “Do you feel better now?”

Goldie looked at her comforter. She saw a gray-coated unicorn mare with the blue and white striped mane.

The mare smiled. “My name is Rune Scriber. I'm from AID, Anomalous Incident Division,” the mare said and stuck out a forehoof to bump.

Goldie bumped her hoof then frowned. “Did you get it?”

“What?” Rune looked at Goldie.

Goldie reached for Rune, but a stern glare kept her back. “The mailbox! Tell me you guys crushed it! Smashed it! It killed so many, I saw their faces. Year after year that thing killed so many. Tell me your people got it under control somewhere or that it’s dead!”

Rune shook her head. She didn’t feel comfortable telling Goldie that AID agents efforts to contain the mailbox entity had failed. They took it to a containment site and an hour later, the mailbox was back on its post. It would be a tough pill to swallow for Goldie to know that her tormentor was at large and nopony could do anything about it.

Goldie frowned and looked away. “It’s gonna come and cut me! I just know it!” She put her head in her hooves and started crying.

Rune sighed. What Goldie had gone through was definitely hard to bear. Even seasoned AID agents would not fare any better. Then she thought about what Goldie said about the victims.

After Spellfixer had been found by an employee at Hayburgers, a team was sent to the area. It seemed that the entity used this place as a dumping ground over decades or maybe centuries. Preliminary scans had shown layers of mailboxes with obscene and obsessive messages cut into them. Below that layer were bodies of mares. More scans would need to be done. What Goldie had seen and experienced was corroborated by Spellfixer’s interview.

Rune went through her bag, and pulled out a padded black case, then she opened it. Inside was a black rectangular memory wiping device. Besides removing memories it was capable of adding new ones. She made sure that the business end was aimed away from her. This would be a bad time for a newbie mistake.

“Goldie, please look at me,” Rune said and held up the device.

Goldie turned to look at Rune.

Rune activated the device.

Goldie’s eyes went blank.

“Goldie, you will forget what you saw in the mailbox entity. You will forget that there was a mailbox entity. You will believe that the situation was caused by a too shy unicorn stallion with mental issues. You will also forget that you were here before. When you awake, this will be new to you. Now, you will go to sleep and awake in a few moments somewhat tired,” Rune hit the execute button then put the class B memwipe back in her saddlebags.

Goldie slumped back into bed. A few moments later, she woke up. She looked around.

Rune nodded. “Good afternoon.”

Goldie yawned and covered her mouth. “Sorry. Where am I?” She sat up.

“You’re in Ponyville General.” Rune said.

“How long have I been here?” Goldie looked around at the pale-green walls of the private hospital room.

“Three or four days. Don't worry, you just have a few bumps and bruises. Not sure about your mental state,” Rune said.

“My mental state is fine,” Goldie said then frowned.

“Do you remember how you got here?” Rune said.

“Um, I remember galloping here and then there was the smell of old hay fries,” Goldie said. She peered at the unicorn mare on the bed next to her.

“Sorry for all of the questions. My name is Rune Scriber. I'm from AID, Anomalous Incident Division,” the Rune said and stuck out a forehoof to bump. “I work with Spellfixer who should’ve stayed in the research division and Firestone.”

Goldie slowly bumped her hoof. “My name is Golden Harvest. How did I get here?”

“Well, we sent out a team to your house. They were able to sense some magic on your mailbox and track it to the unicorn stallion that was obsessively stalking you. Unfortunately he teleported you to the local Hayburger’s dumpster. We were able to find out he hated the place, and wanted to punish you a bit,” Rune said then leaned forward. The bed creaked.

Goldie frowned. “Do I have to worry about him anymore?”

Rune shook her head. “No. We took him in for questioning. He did have some mental issues, so we sent him to Equestrian Acres for rehabilitation. To make sure you would be safe, we took the liberty to find you another apartment. This one is a bit of a commute but it’s closer than your previous home. I have the lease here if you want to sign it now.”

It sounded like a good deal to Goldie but a bit of fear still remained. “What if he escapes and looks for me?”

Rune gazed at Goldie. “Don’t worry, I will give you some numbers to call and agents will watch you for a few years. We’re not going to abandon you.”

Goldie looked around then back at Rune . “What about Spellfixer?”

Rune sighed. “He ended up in the same dumpster we found you. The unicorn stallion carved some messages into Spellfixer’s fur. Lucky for Spell, an employee heard his groans. Poor Spell will need some skin grafts, but he will survive.”

“What sort of messages?” Goldie leaned forward.

“Well, some of the language was quite profane so I won't sully your ears. Basically, it boiled down to obsessive rantings. ‘Mine’, ‘she is mine,’ and similar sentences,” Rune said while waving a fore hoof dismissively.

Goldie grimaced. The idea that somepony was mean enough to cut words into a living being was frightening. Then she wondered if that had happened to her. “Did he carve something into me?”

Rune shook her head. “No. Your situation was very interesting. Did you know that Firestone and his colleagues were riding toward you in a cab while you were galloping away from your house with a lockbox in your mouth?”

“I didn't see them. I don’t remember anything until I woke up here. Wait, I remember smelling old hay fry oil,” Goldie sniffed one of her forelegs, and grimaced. “Eww, hay fried mare.”

Rune smiled. “Well, you disappeared before Firestone could get your attention. The lockbox was left on the ground.”

Panic filled Goldie's face. “My lockbox? Do you have it?”

Rune nodded. A bright blue glow covered her horn and the lockbox floated up from somewhere and moved to the foot of Goldie's bed.

Goldie crawled to the foot of the bed to look at her lock box. She hoofed in the combination, and the lid popped open. Was it all there, she wondered. It took her a few moments to look at the important documents like her birth certificate, and stall location license. The family pictures and knick knacks from a bygone, and still cherished age were next. While she checked out the contents of the lockbox, the hospital and recent events faded from memory to be replaced by memories of the past. Finally, she gazed longingly at the last picture, a group photo of her family. Now she was the only one left. Death and change had taken them all. As she closed the lock box, the current memories returned.

Two business cards floated over to Goldie.

“One is our phone number. If you see something strange or it happens to you, call us. The other card is the number of a very good relationship counselor,” Rune said then she left the cards on Goldie's bed.

Goldie smiled just for a moment. “I won't need that number, I'll make sure to only date non-obsessive mailboxes.”

They both laughed.

Goldie's smile faded first.

Comments ( 9 )

Of course the Equestrian version of the foundation would have a public face :)

Your mane and tail are like the setting sun, I'm in love!

You know what... The very first letter woulda made me cringe and creeped me out already.:twilightoops:

I wish I could be a pretty flower or the cloud pattern that brings a smile to your face and makes your emerald eyes glow. I envy the gentle breezes that caress your soft yellow fur.

This... This... this is getting out of hoof. I woulda DROPPED the letter, BOLTED inside and SLAMMED my door shut knowing there is random creepy dude WATCHING me somewhere I don't even know. BAD neighborhood, BAD things happen. Lesson of life, man. Lesson of life. :applecry:

Darn it, Goldie, whatcha just get yourself into...:facehoof:

it was an interesting story, a couple parts of it felt rushed and needed more details to work but it was a good read

9048295
Thanks for checking out the story.
Which areas felt rushed?

9053341
too exhausted all the time to read through again to point out each one but it's mostly the transition scenes

Surprised Equestrian Foundation bothers hiding stuff, unless it's got a memetic effect or is otherwise made dangerous/unsafe/unobtainable due to knowledge.

The mailbox would just be seen as a cursed object, or the building itself as haunted. Cursed and dangerous magical hoohikcery is common. If its not a mesurable magical effect just make the cover up that its cursed.

Login or register to comment