• Published 9th Jan 2019
  • 994 Views, 23 Comments

SHERLOCK HOLMES: The Ticking of Hearts - DIO Brando



The greatest detective is suddenly launched into another world. Dazed and confused, he figures out that he's just in time to solve one of the greatest murder cases in the history of Equestria.

  • ...
1
 23
 994

A Most Fearful Forest of Ferocious Fiends

"Thank you again for bringing me on this journey," Twilight said. The three of them—herself, Sherlock, and Watson—were walking towards the Everfree Forest. It was a dark and treacherous place from what little Holmes had heard, but likewise the residence of the aforementioned Zecora who was rather intrinsic to their investigation. Holmes figured it important that they endeavor to understand the device first, being as it was inexplicably linked to the culprit by some extraordinary means. The device still fascinated him, as it behaved somewhat like a compass. It did move as they walked, but he chose for the time to remain ignorant of it's direction for sake of first interpreting it's behavior. Holmes held true to himself the fact that none should follow what they don't understand, lest they be guided with ill intention.

"It is sincerely my pleasure to have you along for the ride, per se," Holmes said with a smile, "after all, I was thinking it would be in our best interest to have one of the native citizens accompany us along the way regardless."

The walk was long, and Holmes didn't much care for the silence. He observed his surroundings, looking at the architecture of the buildings in Ponyville and likewise taking into account the citizens surrounding—many of which offered glares and stares of concern and almost tumultuous curiosity. Their fascination gleamed like comets within the sky, as rumor spread quickly of the famed myth's presence. Fortunately, however, many were too shy or unsure to approach the trio on their disembarkation, as in walking they looked rather busy. Holmes turned to Twilight.

"I suppose it is good to have a preliminary understanding of your magic, as you call it," he pointed out. Twilight turned with a look of interest and near excitement as he continued, "how does such magnificent power work?"

"Well, the history of magic is long and complicated," Twilight began, "and there are many different kinds of magic attuned to different purposes, creatures, and capabilities. There are many forms of illegal magic, and many more forms of rudimentary magic."

"Such a thing being referred to as 'rudimentary' baffles my mind greatly," Holmes admitted. Twilight couldn't hold back a giddy squee before continuing her explanation.

"Well, to start, all three of the equine races have magic within their bodies," she explained, "earth ponies have magic that enhances their endurance and strength—you'll never see a pegasus trying to beat them in a hoof-wrestle. Pegasi, of course, have magic that allows them both to fly and walk on clouds."

"That does make more sense, oddly," Watson chimed in, "I don't know much about aerodynamism, but these wings I have don't seem to be innately capable of flight purely by motor coordination."

"That's absolutely correct," Twilight said with a gleeful smile, "the pegasus channels magic through their wings to fly, through their hooves to step on clouds, and through both to manipulate weather for the rest of us."

"I see you've saved the most interesting for last," Sherlock pointed out. Twilight offered a giggle.

"The unicorns, yes," she continued, "our magic is the most direct and most variable. Our horns safely channel raw magical energy, directing it towards a purpose and means by our intent. Whether casting long-winded spells, creating a variety of potions with fewer ingredients, activating sigils and alchemical circles, or what have you, the unicorn's horn is the all-purpose tool of magic both general and archaic."

"There in lies the question," Holmes said, pausing to face her directly, "what are you, being all three?"

Twilight paused as well, Watson taking a moment longer to realize they had stopped.

"Oh!" she exclaimed, "of course, the alicorn. Goddesses of Equestria."

"Goddesses?" Watson asked, "what madness is this?"

"Not madness, dear Watson," Holmes retorted, "difference. In a land where magic is rudimentary, is it so odd to say that deities walk among their people?"

"I suppose you're right," Watson said, scratching his head a bit, "a lot to get used to at one time."

The three continued walking as Twilight began to explain Equestrian history a brief yet detailed manner, a manner by which Holmes was able to pick up on exactly the context he required to contextualize his theories. It wasn't much longer that the trio left the borders of Ponyville and happened upon the entrance to the Everfree forest. As expected, it was as a mark of certain doom, providing a foreboding aura of caution to all who thought to enter. Yet, having known the lands well, the Princess escorted them through without hesitation.

Strange sounds emanated from within the darkness of the forest. A snapping of twigs from the shadows, the rustling of leaves from unknown wind, the sounds of creatures unseen. It was enough to strike fear into Watson, who remained close to the princess and detective in hopes that nothing awful would happen. Sherlock, however, was more fascinated with how the forest seemed to change as they continued—moreso with Twilight's confident navigation of it. Before he could endeavor to observe the surroundings much further, however, he caught a particularly foul odor.

"What a rancid smell," Watson complained, turning to Sherlock as the detective chuckled in response.

"It is to be expected in woods," Sherlock said, "perhaps a dying animal, or—"

"A living one," Twilight interrupted, signaling them to stop. A loud howl was heard after, as the thumping of heavy footsteps shook the ground beneath them.

"That doesn't sound particularly pleasant," Sherlock pointed out. Watson shot him a glare.

"Wonderful that you should point out the obvious, Holmes!" Watson said in a frustrated whisper before Twilight gave a shhh.

The three waited as the stomping grew dreadfully close. The sound rang from every direction, yet it was distinctly from one source. It was apparent at this moment that the forest seemed to play tricks on those within, yet this was surely less trick than danger. The three of them stood on guard as the thumping stopped, seeing no sign of any antagonizing creatures. Holmes sniffed the air once more, as the foul odor had become far more intense. From wherever it's source, it was assuredly the creature they heard creating it.

Holmes closed his eyes, perking up an ear as he heard a twig snapping. In that moment, as if time had stopped, he pictured what might happen next. A large creature, jumping from the right—nay from the left. It would go for the princess, she was the most powerful among them. It howled, so it is likely similar to a creature with canine features. It's tracking of them suggested that it was on the hunt for food. It would have to determine which of them were most threatening, as well as which were most likely to escape. It's pause indicated that it was preparing for it's attack, and that it was going to be quick. Dodging it one time would not be enough, it would attempt to attack once more immediately after as it lost it's advantage of stealth. Of course, Sherlock would likewise have lost his advantage of defensive proximity. From that point, he would have to figure out what exactly the creature was in order to deal with it. All he knew was that it was large and hungry. There was a rock on the ground, sizable enough to at least distract a creature of such size, and he knew the rock was close enough to get to upon the first dodge.

Holmes opened his eyes, staring at the space in front of him as he kicked Watson back and pulled the Princess forward. Before the two could respond, they witnessed the large creature soaring over them in a lunge before running into a tree. Sherlock knocked the rock loose before turning to see a large wolf made of twigs and leaves with a glow within it's eyes that was certainly magical. As the animal opened it's jaws towards a terrified Watson, Sherlock managed to pick up the rock and hurl it towards the creature's face, earning it's attention rather quickly as it prepared to lunge for him.

"That's as far as I thought ahead, we should probably run," he quickly suggested as the creature jumped for him, "go!"

He pushed Twilight out of the way again before jumping forward at the lunging predator and stepping on it's face. His balance wasn't at it's best, but as he slipped down the side of the large wolf he managed to stick his landing beside Watson. The creature gave a snarl as it turned to them once more.

"Watson, now might be a lovely time to learn flight," Sherlock said as the creature made it's way closer to them.

"Flight?!" Watson shouted, "I'm still adjusting to walking!"

A bolt of magic suddenly pierced the creatures head, causing it to explode as the body fell upon the ground. Sherlock and Watson exchanged looks as they turned to see Twilight's horn steaming.

"I'm quite the bookworm, but I've fought bigger," Twilight pointed out, "now come on! It won't stay down for long."

Sherlock was confused for a moment before turning to see the twigs slowly twirling upon the ground back to the creature's neck. He and Watson gave a nod to one another as they began to run. While they were not as fast, the time which it took for the wolf's head to reform was more than enough for them to get out of sight. After several more moments, it gave another loud howl as the stomping seemed to grow quieter.

"Is there anything else out to kill us that we should know about, your highness?" Watson asked with a tone of frustration. Twilight turned back to him with a sigh.

"I was hoping we wouldn't need a crash course on the most dangerous place in Equestria before entering," she admitted, "just don't step on the blue flowers."

Watson attempted to protest before Holmes shot him a look. The doctor gave a groan as they continued to travel the forest, seeing in the distance a dim light. Soon, it became several lights, and a visible residence that seemed rather full of magical trinkets that appeared more familiar to the practice of voodoo to Holmes and Watson. Twilight began to walk faster as she approached the door, giving a gentle knock.

"Man, man, and equine, at my abode," a voice spoke from behind the door as it slowly opened, "after having walked a treacherous road."

In front of them now was a Zebra. No doubt, it was Zecora, and as expected she was heavily adorned for her craft. Holmes found it rather interesting that other equine species were just as capable of speech and sapience. Fascinated to learn more, he smiled as he greeted her.

"You must be Zecora," Holmes said. Zecora looked him up and down, before turning to do the same with Watson.

"Creatures from far away, please, do enjoy your stay," she replied with a smile as she motioned for them to enter. Sherlock and Twilight stepped in while Watson cautiously followed, "tell me, one of intellect, why me, do you select?"

"The unheeded wise results endless demise and continued rise of darkened skies," Holmes replied, "where ignorance beholds those truths untold salvation unfolds to young and old." Holmes held up the watch, handing it to Zecora before he continued, "The watch you see has baffled me, as in my land things this grand form not by hand. Made from crystal and gold, be it young or old? It tells not the hour, but shows the way, does it lead to devour or wish us to stay?"

Zecora leaned over to Twilight with a grin.

"I like this one," she whispered.

Author's Note:

Huh, has it been another year already?

Comments ( 4 )

10663975
I'm attempting to finish both this one and Flame of the Sun by next month if not earlier. Simultaneously writing another album for Spotify, working solo on a survival horror game, running a YouTube channel for aforementioned music, keeping up a Discord server for aforementioned channel, and working on my artistic skills to do my own graphic design. :pinkiecrazy:

"I like this one," she whispered.

One wonders why, leat till they ponder a fly.

11130706
Writing those rhymes and making them not sound cringe at the same time was not easy

11130674
Hallelujah! Thanks for resurrecting this fic (again)! Still love this story. :pinkiehappy:
Schedule sounds crazy as hell, so good luck, take breaks as needed, and thanks for making time to finish this. :heart:

Login or register to comment