• Published 2nd Jan 2019
  • 2,840 Views, 64 Comments

Unity: One Year Later - Kieva Lynn



One year after the end of 'Unity,' life continues with new friends and a new threat...

  • ...
3
 64
 2,840

Epilogues

Epilogue One: (Window Opening Day)

Near the end of the day, with the sun setting in the west creating a vibrant riot of colors in the sky, Twilight Sparkle trotted towards the Town Hall Building, a large ancient book held in her magical aura. It had been a busy day, what with the public windows opening and the arrival of Tess and her friends, but the unicorn had one more duty to perform, which she was concerned couldn't wait. Not that the knowledge underlying Twilight's concern was new to her. But prior to this day, she had thought it a mere coincidence. Now she was less certain.

So Twilight went into the hall, to a locked chamber in the back, which had been set aside for this special purpose after contact with Eqqus and Earth had been reestablished. She undid the locks, stepped through the door, and re-locked it behind her. The chamber was twelve feet square, with a nine foot ceiling, devoid of furnishings or decorations. It contained only a small magical glyph drawn on the floor. Twilight stepped to the glyph, tapped the middle three times in quick succession, then stepped back to wait.

She didn't have to wait long. By tapping the glyph, Twilight had essentially 'rang the bell' at the private window facility back in Canterlot, letting the princesses know she needed to speak with them. In less than three minutes, both Celestia and Luna appeared. “Good evening my student.” Celestia said. “What have you?”

“Something weird. And probably nothing. But after today, I feel you should be aware.”

“Yes?” Luna asked.

“You remember Starswirl's twenty-seventh prophecy? The one that we still have only a fragment of, and so far as we can tell the only one that hasn't yet come to pass?” Twilight asked. As both Alicorns nodded, she continued “In our time here, I've read a lot of human books. Fiction as well as non-fiction. In one of those novels, there is a passage which bears an uncanny resemblance to the prophecy. I actually noticed it nearly a year ago, but dismissed it as coincidence.” Here Twilight looked up from the book she was holding, meeting each of the Princesses' eyes in turn. “Today, we met a kidnapped airship full of the peoples the book talked about, who insisted that the book was a mostly accurate account of historical events.”

Luna looked at Celestia. “A moment sister?” She asked, and stepped out of range of the window. Celestia followed.

XXXXX

“Could this be the beginning?” Luna wondered.

“Possible but not probable.” Celestia answered. “Remember, Mother's warning concerned a threat from outside.”

“Strewth. But we should have the Skybolts perform recon on the valley, just to be sure she's still there and nothing has changed.”

“Agreed.”

XXXXX

They were only gone for a moment before returning to the window. “You are wise to bring this to our attention Twilight.” Luna said. “We will begin investigations into the matter at once.”

“Thank you Princess.” Twilight said. “I'll do the same here.”

“Excellent. Then if there is nothing else-” (Here Celestia yawned deeply, to Luna's amusement) “We will end this meeting.”

“Of course. I'll let you know if I learn anything.” Twilight said. The window vanished, and she looked down at the book she held, and read again the last surviving fragment of Starswirl's twenty-seventh prophecy:

“One ring for the dark queen,

Who reclines on her throne,

In the changeling vale,

Where magics fail...”

Epilogue Two: (Two Days Post-Arcadia Arrival)

Fluttershy rose with the sun and tended to the morning needs of her animal friends before returning to her house to prepare breakfast. Silver Spoon was still in bed sound asleep, hardly a surprise on a Saturday. The smell of cooking breakfast would wake her, Fluttershy thought with a smile. She cracked a trio of eggs into a bowl, whipped them up, and was just about to turn on the stove when a knock sounded at her door. “Who could it be this early?” She wondered.

Fluttershy opened the door, and squeaked out a slight 'Eep!” as she beheld the caller: He was easily the tallest human she had ever seen, or so she thought at first. A second, closer look revealed he wasn't that tall at all; his fashion choices just made it seem that way.

“Oh my, forgive me my dear, I had no intentions to startle you.” The man said.

Fluttershy studied the man. In spite of his odd manner of dress he had a kindly glint in his eyes and she somehow felt sure that here was one who could indeed be very dangerous, but had no desire or plan to do so. “Oh, that's okay.” She whispered. “You didn't really scare me, I just didn't recognize you and you're dressed so oddly... Would you like to come in? I have water hot for tea.”

“Tea would be lovely, thank you.”

A few minutes later, they were drinking tea together in the kitchen. “Um, if it's okay for me to ask, why did you come to my door?” Fluttershy asked.

“Well your home is the first one comes to after entering the gates. And I very much need your assistance. You see, I'm searching for a very old friend of mine.”

“A friend? And you think he might be here?”

“Well I don't know about that. But I do know that he was living among you ponyfolk the last time I saw him.”

“And, um, when was that?”

“Oh, it's hard to remember precisely that far back... well over a thousand years, at least.”

Fluttershy cocked her head in confusion. “Um, but, humans don't live that long. Ponies either. And, even if we did, we only met humans less than two years ago.”

“Well I never said he was human or pony did I?” The man sipped his tea. “Never said such of myself either. And as for the other, man and pony did indeed meet long ago, not that such matters now.”

“But you hope to find this friend, and thought he might be here?”

“Oh yes it is imperative that I find him. A great many prophecies are coming to a head. And even if he's not here well, perhaps you or one of your brethren can point me in the right direction.”

“I'd be happy to try... What was his name?”

“Well like myself he has many. Among your people, I believe he was known as Starswirl-”

“Starswirl the Bearded!?” Fluttershy exclaimed.

“'The Bearded'? No, no, he did indeed have an impressive beard but it wasn't a part of his name. No, I knew him as Starswirl the Violet.”

“I've never heard of him called that before.” Fluttershy said.

“Hmmm... Nevertheless it is true... I remember his name and color as well as I remember my own.”

“Your own?”

“Oh dear me. I've done you a discourtesy my dear, and forgotten to introduce myself.” He bowed. “I am Gandalf... Gandalf the Gray...”

Author's Note:

I know, I know... Trust me, there is an explanation for how he's here, and why he's still the Gray, in the coming story.

And speaking of the coming story: I'm currently working on chapter fifteen. I want a buffer of at least twenty-six (six months basically) before I start publishing. At the rate I'm currently writing, that should take about six weeks. Finally, to those who have been concerned that the chapters here haven't been building on each other, fear not. Things do begin to link together in the next installment.

Comments ( 13 )

Wut?


This provokes some real questions, and is going to some very strange places. I can hardly wait to see what happens next!

bad news for ponies. If there is a ring for the changelings, there one for ponies. Or three

Why does that sound like Chrysalis was supposed to have that but it was brought here instead. Also I wonder why Gandalf was sent here and why he is in his weaker form.

“I'd be happy to try... What was his name?”

“Well like myself he has many. Among your people, I believe he was known as Starswirl-”

“Starswirl the Bearded!?” Fluttershy exclaimed.

“'The Bearded'? No, no, he did indeed have an impressive beard but it wasn't a part of his name. No, I knew him as Starswirl the Violet.”

“I've never heard of him called that before.” Fluttershy said.

“Hmmm... Nevertheless it is true... I remember his name and color as well as I remember my own.”

“Your own?”

“Oh dear me. I've done you a discourtesy my dear, and forgotten to introduce myself.” He bowed. “I am Gandalf... Gandalf the Gray...”

I just got goosebumps reading that

Keep in mind that in the cosmology of LoR, Gandalf is essentially a weak Angel.

And he just called Starswirl by a name similar to his, and seemed to think he should still be around. (I mean, in the show he is, but that's because of sealing-time shenanigans).

Food for thought.

Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
Yes, I wrote that entirely from memory. No, I don't have a life, why do you ask?

One ring for the peguses who live in the clouds. One ring for the unicorns in their ivory towers. One ring for the ponies bound to Earth.

9459115
There are children and foals in the audience and they will need their good sleep! :twilightsheepish:

Nice interquel.

“One ring for the dark queen,

Who reclines on her throne,

In the changeling vale,

Where magics fail...”

Aww hell....

“Oh dear me. I've done you a discourtesy my dear, and forgotten to introduce myself.” He bowed. “I am Gandalf... Gandalf the Gray...”

Oh good, the cavalry.
...
No, I really can't say I'm all that surprised.
Wasn't expecting him though.

Sweet mackerel! i didn't even know the sequel to unity was out, i am so sad to miss its grand "unveiling" so to speak.

Im so going to binge read this, thanks alot Kieva Lynn!

Login or register to comment