• Published 20th Nov 2017
  • 3,591 Views, 1,748 Comments

The Last Migration - Starscribe



When disaster forces the fierce griffins to seek shelter in Equestrian land, can two very different societies coexist? Or will the ancient enemies tear each other apart?

  • ...
28
 1,748
 3,591

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 19: Blood of Honor

Starlight Glimmer stared down in horror as the coliseum floor exploded into activity. The smoke from a single gunshot still lingered in the air, obscuring the mob that was taking place below.

She’d been worried enough for Velar’s fate as he began a duel without real weapons or flight against an enemy that was far larger and stronger than himself. But the not-prince hadn’t even seemed to hear her objections, or notice his mother’s terrified eyes.

Then the slave he’d volunteered to save had shot him in the back. With a rifle that wasn’t supposed to work.

Velar’s bodyguards had moved so quickly that the traitorous slave hadn’t had time for a second shot. Even as he worked the action with a claw, the first of many fletched shafts sunk into his face. The minotaur backed away in horror, dropping his weapons and cowering from the assault within.

“Get Zoya,” she heard the emperor shout to one of his guards, even as the stadium dissolved into chaos. “Looked like that shot went into his chest. Unity grant it didn’t hit him in the heart.”

Over a dozen guards surrounded the box—where had they come from so quickly? Two of them seemed specifically assigned to protect her, though they also didn’t let her get close to the royal family. Starlight’s screams were lost in the chaos.

The crowd below had broken into outright brawling. Valor slaves attacked Vengeance, and noble birds were starting to join in. Starlight didn’t hear anymore gunshots though—nor did she see any more sign of firearms.

It doesn’t work, it’s just a training rifle. Velar had been wrong—and that might have cost him his life.

Starlight Glimmer could’ve teleported away—maybe she should have. At such a time of turmoil, it was possible and likely that a diplomat like herself would be targeted. But she couldn’t bring herself to leave, not when she didn’t know if Velar would be okay.

“You need to get back to the pony quarter,” said the burly guard protecting her, as they made their way out of the stadium and hurried through the city. There was a stretcher up ahead, protected by more of the royal guards. “It might not be safe. We don’t know if this attempt is isolated or part of something bigger.”

“I’m not leaving,” Starlight argued, shoving him with her magic until they were back in the line going towards the palace. “Velar might need help!”

“We have doctors,” argued the gruff bird, glaring her down. She’d never seen a beak quite so pointed. “There’s nothing you can do.”

“Really?” Her horn glowed, as half a dozen spells ran through her mind. “I don’t think you know who I am. I don’t think you have any idea what I can do!” She was practically screaming now, as incensed as so many of the townspeople. It sounded like an out-and-out riot had finally started, and the stands were being torn to pieces. “What if not having pony magic around is the reason he dies? Maybe turning away one of Equestria’s most powerful spellcasters isn’t a great plan! Celestia knows I wouldn’t have stood there and let my prince get shot!”

Probably harsher words than any guard deserved, but she wasn’t exactly in the mood for being tactful.

A few more tense seconds of standoff, and the guards stopped trying to take her away to the pony quarter. She joined them the rest of the way to the castle, where a zebra was already waiting with an entourage to receive the stretcher. Starlight smelled incense as they led her away, and she tried to follow.

The emperor stopped her. “Starlight Glimmer—I am sorry you had to be here during such a tumultuous time. But I don’t think we will be able to continue with the day’s affairs. It might be best if you kept a low profile in the city for a few days. It would make the watch’s job much easier.”

“Is Velar going to live?” she asked, voice shaking. Probably she should’ve been worried about the greater political implications, like pulling every pony out of the city immediately following an assassination attempt like this.

But she didn’t care—she didn’t care about respecting the emperor, didn’t care about anything. Except what it had been like to watch a griffon shouting about the dishonor of an uneven match gunned down by the one he’d been trying to help.

“This is obviously Vengeance’s doing,” Guinevere was saying to someone wearing armor, just ahead of them. “Make sure Santiago isn’t permitted to leave the city until our investigation is complete. It was one of his birds.”

The emperor didn’t fill her head with empty words, as she had half expected. “I do not know, ambassador. My son is tough and determined. I have seen him endure many things. It’s possible he will survive. The old magic can preserve many who might otherwise fall. But ultimately, the cost of preserving one life that should be lost is another. I know my son… he would never consent for that price to be paid, even if it were the life of a willing friend. Even if it were a slave… he would refuse. Without a life to give in exchange, there is only so much Zoya can do.”

The emperor turned away from her, walking down the hall into the palace. “If you have faith in your polytheistic pony gods, perhaps you should pray to them for help. Velar can use all the divine aid he can gain.”

The emperor left her there. Guards barred her from entering the throne room, and she could tell from their belligerent expressions she would not be bullying her way past them. She could teleport, of course, but that wouldn’t exactly endear her to anyone. Or help Velar.

I should probably be packing. The Stalwart Stratus will be here tomorrow, and I’ll be on it. She had a feeling a lot of birds were going to hate her soon—taking away their weather magic and magical farming on the very day after such a tragedy. But it wasn’t her decision to make. Except in as much as she had been responsible for causing it in the first place.

Instead of going back to pack the last of her things, Starlight Glimmer followed the griffon doctors. She followed them past a few guards, all the way to the medical area in the back of the palace. There she finally encountered Anthony of Velar’s personal guard. And Starlight Glimmer knew she would be going no further.

“Sorry,” he said, without malice. Griffons didn’t sweat, but this one still looked ragged. He leaned on a war staff with his whole body shaking, tail smacking against the tile beneath him. “You can’t interfere. The doctors need their concentration.”

She didn’t argue with him, but she didn’t give up either. Starlight sat down directly across from him, maybe a few feet away. “You never could’ve seen that coming,” she muttered, voice low. “Velar was telling me about training rifles. He didn’t think they were dangerous.”

“Doesn’t matter,” Anthony said, still lacking anger. “That’s why the noble and great birds have bodyguards.” He turned his head towards the window, looking out over the city. Distant shouting still rang out from far away, though at least it wasn’t burning down. Somewhere as dry as this, that was a fire that would not be easy to extinguish. “Velar was the best house Valor ever had. Emperor Gaius… I’ve been watching his son since his first molting. I always knew… knew that one day he would take the throne, and finally the suffering of our empire would be over. He would be the one to solve all the problems that no emperor before him had the courage to fight.”

Anthony shook his head, smacking the wall with his staff. “I think I got swept up in Velar’s optimism. His… naivete. His Accipio would be too wonderful to live in. Unity could never allow it—our lives would be too easy, and we wouldn’t grow strong. So they take away the great ones. If he dies… Velar won’t be the first great bird of his generation to fall. It’s poetry that a bird of house Purity would be the one to pull the trigger. That’s vengeance for you, eh?” He laughed, a spiteful, bitter sound.

“You killed the one responsible,” Starlight said, lowering her voice a little. She could hardly comprehend the words she was speaking here—death was almost never a possible punishment in Equestria. Even the most terrible criminals had been locked away, or frozen in stone, or something similar. Actually killing someone? But that was how griffons did things. “Doesn’t that make it better? Isn’t that why you kill people?”

Anthony laughed again. “We kill murderers because it is honorable, not because it makes a difference. If Velar dies, Accipio will still suffer. Gaius is too honorable to have a secret flock of bastards lining up.”

“Does he have any daughters?”

Anthony shook his head. He didn’t get to say anything else, as the door immediately banged open.

It was a zebra, shrunken with age and weighed down with disappointment. She shook her head slowly. “Anthony,” she said, ignoring Starlight completely. “Go to the emperor. Tell him the bullet penetrated the stomach and the intestine. It will certainly become infected and kill him. The heir refuses the use of my magic. He must be convinced, or…”

“Aye,” Anthony said, taking off and flying away through the hallway on swift wings.

“You,” the zebra said. Starlight Glimmer realized she recognized her now, though she hadn’t while she’d been overwhelmed and confused with the weight of Velar’s impending death. This was Zoya, something like a court wizard to the empire. Starlight could smell the acrid, almost rotting smell of necromancy on the air around her. Blood magic was a forbidden, terrible art. “The equestrian is here to judge us, yes? To cast disdainful glances at those who use the tools nature has given them.”

Blood magic’s powers were incredible enough that Starlight herself had studied a little—but ultimately rejected them even at her worst. The cost of every spell was simply too high. But she wasn’t here to lecture. If Velar did use the old magic, she probably wouldn’t say a word.

There was no use lying to herself.

“I’m here to help,” she said. And she didn’t hesitate—not long enough for the zebra to interrupt her, as she clearly wanted to do. “No, I know you know your magic better than anyone. I hear you’re the best in the world. But if the prince… if the heir to house Virtue won’t use it, you don’t just have to give up. There’s another kind of magic available.” She lit up her horn for a second, mostly for effect. “Mine.”

“Inferior magic,” Zoya muttered, waving a hoof. “Ineffective. If he were not so defiant in his refusal to accept my help, he would already be healed.”

“You’re probably right,” Starlight said, though she wasn’t actually sure. “But he won’t. And my magic won’t cost anyone but me. He doesn’t have to agree to anything.”

Zoya finally seemed to look at her. The disdain gradually faded from her eyes. “Don’t think I do not know you, ambassador. You are Starlight Glimmer. The spirits whisper to me that you have gone beyond time. They say you can bend the minds of others, and twist their fates. Medical magic is something else. I do not think one such as you would know it.”

“I know first aid,” she argued. “But you’re right, I don’t. But I don’t have to be his doctor. There’s a spell… fairly difficult, but not for me. Stasis. I could freeze the moment he’s in right now, then summon experts in medical magic from Equestria. If it took them a week to get here, it would make no difference—time would not pass for Velar.” And I know it won’t take a week, because the flagship will get here tomorrow. There’s probably a royal surgeon waiting in the medical bay right now.

Zoya’s thoughtful expression deepened. “That is… an inferior option. You unicorns are proud of your abilities, but they are feeble things compared to those who are willing to pay for their spells. But… if the emperor cannot convince him… we would be fools to refuse an inferior option when the alternative is waiting for him to die.”

Already the emperor and his wife were coming down the hall, expressions twisted. “You must convince them to allow it,” Zoya finally said. “I will accept your help if it is our last resort. But I do not have the ability to make such decisions.”

“I’ll ask them,” Starlight said, though she already felt better. She knew the emperor well enough by now—or at least she thought she did. Gaius was a proud bird, but not an irrational kind of pride. He would not refuse the help Velar desperately needed when it was offered at his moment of need.

Starlight swallowed, preparing herself to make the case. It was time to save an idiot.

PreviousChapters Next