• Published 20th Nov 2017
  • 3,591 Views, 1,748 Comments

The Last Migration - Starscribe



When disaster forces the fierce griffins to seek shelter in Equestrian land, can two very different societies coexist? Or will the ancient enemies tear each other apart?

  • ...
28
 1,748
 3,591

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 24: Weather Station

“You really think we’re gonna find somewhere for the griffons to live all the way out here?” Applejack asked. Her voice was obviously skeptical, and Twilight could see why. Past the Crystal Empire, the north was an absolute wasteland. Twilight had never seen this land before the great eruption, though something told her global cooling had only made it worse. Their little balloon struggled to stay airborne, and probably would’ve fallen right out of the sky if it wasn’t for the magic protecting it.

She looked for signs of life—forests would be ideal, since that would mean large scale life. But she saw nothing.

The yaks lived up here, though far, far to the east. From what she’d seen of their society, they barely weathered these winters. How a species with much less natural insulation and no wilderness farming experience would do up here… Twilight Sparkle could already tell they were doomed.

Twilight sighed, slumping against the side of her basket. “There were stories… back when the Crystal Empire was actually an empire, instead of just one city—they had a whole network of magic keeping the north from getting this cold. I was hoping we might be able to find some of it. Now that the Crystal Heart is back, we could probably switch it back on. That would give the griffons somewhere to live that isn’t in our territory.”

“North, south…” Rainbow Dash settled in beside her, trying to hide her shivering inside a thick jacket. Even the pegasus was having trouble up here. Her other friends weren’t doing much better—poor Fluttershy looked like she’d been eaten alive by a monster made of wool and white fluff. Only Applejack wore nothing more than usual, apparently staying warm on pure stubbornness. “I don’t see the difference. Why is putting them up here better than keeping them down there?”

“Because, dear,” Rarity began, not actually moving from her own warm perch below a small mountain of blankets. Spike was in there too, somewhere. “Because the land here would be fertile, if only we could warm it up. And if we did warm it, everypony living here would depend on the Crystal Heart to stay warm. The griffons simply couldn’t do anything barbaric, because as soon as they did the Heart would stop working and they’d all freeze.”

“I don’t like it,” Applejack said, to nopony in particular. Icicles had formed along her back, and snow had stuck in her tail and mane, but she didn’t seem to notice. “Trickin’ them birds up here with better land and then holdin’ em hostage just don’t seem right to me. Both sides trickin’ each other like this will get somepony hurt. Later, if not sooner.”

“It wasn’t our first choice,” Twilight said, frowning slightly at the truth in Applejack’s words. But so far as she could see it, the griffons were the ones being deceitful, and they had been from the beginning. Equestria had its demands, and they had made them clear from the start. Apparently they’d been asking too much for the birds to tolerate, but at least they had been honest about it. That was more than she could say for the birds. “But we know most of their homeland isn’t livable anymore. We already know they have enough airships to move their whole population around. If we just dump them on a shore covered with ash where all the plants are dead, they’ll fly straight back looking for blood.”

General acknowledgement from her friends. At least they could see sense. If only the griffons could be so easily convinced. “The dragon lands aren’t being used that much, but there’s no convincing Ember of that. She says if refugees show up there, they’ll eat them.” Twilight shivered at the thought. It was hard to tell when the dragon was being facetious about such a claim. Plenty of ponies had died that way, in ancient history. Griffons must not taste all that different.

“There’s something down there,” interrupted Rainbow Dash, pointing with one wing.

Twilight followed her gaze, and after a few seconds of staring she could just make out what her friend had been talking about. There, rising just above the snow, was a crystal spire of brilliant pink with a clear stone set into its top. She had taken it for a large hunk of ice, but the cut was too perfect. Not only that, but the snow didn’t seem to quite touch the crystal. It got very close, then stopped just above its surface as though prevented by an invisible barrier.

Twilight immediately vented some of the lift gas, guiding their balloon down towards the spire. Well, as best she could. “Give us a push, Rainbow,” she asked, hoping it sounded polite.

“Yeah, yeah.” She got out. “You’ve got wings too, princess.”


“Somepony’s got to steer,” she answered, smiling sheepishly. Her friend rolled her eyes, then took one of the ropes on the outside and started to pull. There was a chance that they could just ride the wind down to the ground, but if they did they could end up miles away. In snow that thick, a pony was likely to sink well past their head without the proper gear.

A few minutes later and they had touched down as close to the tower as they dared. “Alright, everypony. We need to get down through the snow. Any ideas?”

Rarity made a vague gesture from inside the blankets. “Maybe you should just teleport the snow away. It’s not like anypony will miss it.”

Twilight shook her head. “It isn’t that easy. I could teleport us down under the snow if I knew there was somewhere to send us to. But nopony really knows what these weather stations looked like. Even the crystal ponies don’t seem to remember very much.” Indeed, if there had been any weather station operators in the Crystal Empire, none of them had ever got their memories back. More likely those ponies had been on the outskirts, and so had been taken by Sombra while he was conquering things.

“We could melt our way down?” Applejack suggested. “I can see trees out there in the distance. We could start a big bonfire, let the heat work its way down…”

“That’s silly,” Pinkie Pie observed. “The water will just put our fire out. And while we’re trying to start it over and over again, we’ll just keep getting colder and colder.”

It was daytime now, and already Twilight could see that her friends would be in bad shape if they stayed down here past nightfall. But if we don’t get it switched back on before we leave, we might never find this place again.

“If this was a Daring Do book there’d be an entrance up here on top for us to find,” Rainbow Dash suggested. “Maybe we can look for some riddles or something along the outside, then climb down some stairs on the inside.”

Twilight doubted there would be many secret puzzles on something that had been a public utility a long time ago, but that didn’t mean her friend’s plan had no merit. “There might be some kind of access,” she agreed. “Crystal ponies didn’t have wings, so they probably needed a way to get out onto the roof to fix things. Let’s see what we can find.”

And they looked. Well, some of them looked. The others stayed on the hot-air-balloon, clustered around the burner that they used to heat the air. Twilight got progressively more worried as their last few hours of daylight went by, without much success. It was just starting to get dark by the time Fluttershy of all ponies found the way in. Hidden under a layer of ice, there was a hatch all frozen over. Twilight melted it with a careful spell, then opened the passage down into the crystal spire.

She had dark memories of spiral staircases like this, but at least it wasn’t filled with packed-in snow. “Rainbow, bring the rope ladder. Help everypony up here, and tell them to bring our supplies. We’ll make camp in here for the night.”

“Aye, princess!” She saluted, grinning mischievously as she did so. As she flew off, Twilight made her way down into the dark.

She expected Fluttershy to follow, but the pegasus stubbornly remained on the other side of the threshold. “You go ahead. I’ll wait for everypony else.”

Twilight shrugged, lighting her horn with a faint glow before diving off the steps. It was a surprisingly long way down, before the tower opened into a chamber that she found strikingly familiar. It reminded her of the crystal palace, with a central focus of transparent blue stone waiting to receive some important charm. Like the crystal heart, though this one was barely as tall as her hoof. So obviously not intended for the same thing. Twilight was right—there were no riddles, no traps, nothing like that. Just a few rooms with long-decayed furniture, though a few items had survived remarkably intact.

Anything made of wood had been dissolved to organic sludge, but the crystal empire had made its finer things out of rock. That was a little more enduring. She found one room that had more little stones in it than a jeweler’s shop, and even had equipment that would’ve fit well in one. Dozens and dozens of little cubbies, alongside polished magnifiers, and tiny metal hammers.

The more she saw, the more intimidated she felt. The Crystal Empire didn’t just make it warmer with these things… I bet they could control their weather as well as we can. There were markings on each little box, written in a script that Twilight couldn’t read. It was not the Crystal Empire’s language, which she’d picked up in little bits and pieces. It seemed more like a number system.

“Ooooooooh!” Rarity exclaimed from behind her, a second glow joining Twilight’s. She could make out other voices from behind her as well—her friends had arrived. “Quite the assortment of gemstones in here. Such pure crystals!”

“Don’t,” Twilight said, extending a wing to stop her. “It all stays here. Even if this weather station isn’t working anymore, there might be enough here to reverse engineer how it worked. Or… maybe it is still working.”

“Weather station?” Rainbow Dash walked up beside her, staring around at the little workbenches. They were arranged on the outside wall, so that each would be illuminated by a window. Through the window was only a view of solid blue. “This doesn’t look much like a weather station to me. Where are the moisture accumulators? Where’s the rainbow separator? I mostly worked delivery, but even I can tell you that this is all wrong.”

“It’s a different science,” Rarity cut in, before Rainbow could go on. “It’s closer to the way unicorns regulate Canterlot’s weather. Simply and elegantly.”

“You mean boring,” Rainbow said. “No passion to it, just the same rain or the same sun day after day.”

“Griffons didn’t even have that in Accipio,” Twilight muttered. “All we really have to do is make it warmer. I’m guessing we can put one of these gems into the projector in the other room, then… it’ll come back on?”

“I like this one,” Pinkie Pie said, flouncing over with a bright yellow crystal covered in spines. “It looks like sunshine. We could use some sunshine.”

“Anypony have a better idea?”

Only these two had joined Twilight in the gem room—the others seemed to be setting up camp in the projection room.

“Okay, Pinkie. But be very gentle. The instant it seems like something is going wrong, we take it out again.”

Pinkie Pie was already out of the room by the time she finished speaking, settling the crystal into its waiting receptacle.

Twilight tensed, afraid that nothing at all would happen. That fear was in vain. The entire tower was instantly illuminated with bright blue, pouring in from where they’d entered down the empty central shaft around the stairs. Where it struck the condenser it was transformed to smooth, warm yellow, before being refracted up the structure of the tower itself.

Her friends all turned to stare, some of them making satisfied sounds as the warmth washed over them. Warm it certainly was—at least compared to the subzero nightmare outside. Not too far away, Twilight could hear the sound of ice cracking and shifting. Like they’d just made the ground itself angry.

“Well I’ll be,” Applejack muttered. “Got it on your first try.”

That was about when the door behind her exploded outward, and a torrent of water poured in.

PreviousChapters Next