• Published 20th Nov 2017
  • 3,588 Views, 1,748 Comments

The Last Migration - Starscribe



When disaster forces the fierce griffins to seek shelter in Equestrian land, can two very different societies coexist? Or will the ancient enemies tear each other apart?

  • ...
28
 1,748
 3,588

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 25: Sphere of Influence

Twilight Sparkle knew she didn’t have much time to act. Freezing water poured in from all around them, water that was cold enough to reach through her fur right to her soul the instant it touched. Much of this priceless relic was being destroyed in that contact, shelves knocked over, scrolls that had been preserved by the ice now being torn to shreds as that same ice melted.

Any thoughts of relief—that the artifact might still be working—would have to wait for the moment where her and her friends escaped with their lives.

Twilight projected a shield. Not a very large one—one of the simple ones, almost a parlor trick. The sort of shields her brother had insisted she learn by rote from her earliest years. She still couldn’t do them nearly as well as Shining could—but she didn’t need to. The water blasted away from her, and Twilight settled on clear ground again. She could hear screams—her friends, justifiably terrified as they were swept away.

Twilight took careful aim, and teleported Spike to land beside her. Applejack and Fluttershy came next, since they’d been in the room with her and were the easiest to reach. With each teleport, she made the shield a little bigger. But her concentration wasn’t infinite, and the room was filling with water. Once it carried the others out of sight, her chances of accurately targeting them were small.

Will the shield hold if this tower collapses on us?

She probably couldn’t have done it, except that her friends had all been gathered around to see the device in action. Twilight collapsed onto the ground, even as they were completely submerged. The light of the tower was twinged an even deeper blue by the water all around them. She felt herself shivering, felt the pressure against her shield, and knew that she didn’t have the energy for another teleport. If I drop this shield, we will all die.

“Woah.” Rainbow Dash nudged the edge of the bubble with one hoof, then quickly pulled it back. “Nice one, egghead.” She was the only one that hadn’t flopped wetly to the floor. The icy water had a way of sucking the energy out of a pony.

Twilight herself felt it. But she couldn’t give up. Even if I could hold the shield for hours, our air won’t last that long. The bubble wasn’t big. They’d have an hour at most, unless she did something drastic.

“Thanks,” she said, dropping to her haunches. But she didn’t dare lie down to rest, even for a moment. A shield was an easy spell to maintain, except for the weight of all the water pressing on her. This tower was tall, and water was heavy. “I can’t get us out of here, though. It’s… so hard just to keep us dry. If I try anything else, the bubble might pop.”

“Well, don’t try anything else then, darling. We’re all here, we can… solve this mystery together.”

“Easy peasy.” Rainbow looked around, scanning the room with attentive eyes. “This is straight out of Daring Do. Water traps are pretty common in her books. Except… she usually escapes before it gets this bad. She’s a pegasus, so she can’t just bubble herself like this and wait.”

“It’s not a trap,” Twilight said. “It’s just… a natural consequence of melting the ice. This tower must be somewhere real low, maybe at the bottom of a valley. The ice is melting and filling it.” Something didn’t seem quite right about that—the land hadn’t changed that much since the golden age of the Crystal Empire. But she wasn’t sure what else could explain this.

“I don’t see what the fuss is about.” Applejack gestured out of the bubble. “This thing is safe enough, right? Why don’t we just walk up the stairs and get out the way we got in?”

“Usually it’s because Ahuizotl locked us in,” Rainbow suggested. “Or because the floor caved in, or maybe there’s a sand golem blocking the exit.”

“Now what the hay is that?”

“I want to meet a sand golem!” Pinkie Pie offered, helpfully. “I bet my sister would really like that. A rock she could talk to… it would be like a dream come true!”

“I believe we should be more focused.” Rarity had somehow dried herself out, and was already recovering more of her poise. “Twilight, dear, is there any reason we can’t just walk our way out? Can this shield spell be moved?”

“Maybe.” Twilight shifted uneasily on her hooves. But the spell didn’t falter, even when she took a tentative step. It did take more of her concentration, though. If she moved the magic around, she wasn’t going to be able to help her friends with any other obstacles they encountered along the way. “I suppose so.”

“You could just do what you did with the breezies that time,” Rainbow Dash suggested. “You could make us all into seaponies, and we could swim out.”

“No.” Twilight shook her head vigorously. “I couldn’t even manage a light spell right now. If I tried to transfigure something, we might not survive.” She turned back towards the stairs. The tower still looked intact. Not only that, but it was still glowing blue, energy still radiating out from the artifact. The water even seemed to be warming up. “Let’s just try and climb out. Stay close to me. I won’t be able to go very fast. And don’t touch anything outside the shield. You might be able to break it from the inside, and if you do…”

If anypony did, they would all die. But she didn’t want to say as much to her friends.

They began making their slow way up the tower. Priceless relics now floated destroyed all around them. Twilight watched ink bleeding from parchment before her eyes. Endless mysteries of their ancestors were wiped away by the ice. She probably would’ve been brought to tears by it, if she wasn’t already so desperate just to hang on to her magic.

There were a few close calls—a few times the sudden change of pressure shattered the crystal stairs in front of them, or something heavy drifted near the shield and Twilight had to hold still and brace herself against it. But they had fought many dangers together, plenty worse than this. If they could survive the eruption of Mons Ignis, if they could survive the griffons, they could survive a little cold.

Eventually Twilight saw the first few rays of faint sunlight filtering in from the top of the tower. It would be fully dark soon, and there would be little in the way of shelter now. Their entire camp had been washed away in the flood. But there was light, and they were still alive, so she could worry about that threat as it came.

They crested the edge of the water a few seconds later, into one of the upper levels of the tower. This hadn’t been a records room—whatever had been stored here had not been protected from time as well as some of what was hiding deeper.

“What are we waiting for?” Rainbow Dash was somehow flying, keeping right near the edge of the shield. Ready to surge right out of it and up the steps. “That’s the trapdoor leading out! We’re done here!”

“I’m waiting to see if…” Twilight could barely talk anymore. Even that much strain threatened to make her lose concentration and break the shield. She didn’t, though it was a very near thing. She watched the water level, and found it wasn’t rising anymore. Actually it was dropping, though so slowly that she had to stare for several seconds to see it had gone down at all. As it faded, frost collected on the floor where the water had been, freezing into a thin layer of ice. Up here wasn’t quite as warm as it had been right in the base of the tower.

Twilight flopped to one side, letting the shield fall. Her head throbbed from the effort, but she’d gotten them out. She didn’t even care that the crystal floor was wet and it started sucking the heat out of her again.

“I’m gonna see what’s out there,” Rainbow Dash announced, zipping up the tower and away.

Twilight watched her go, though everything was becoming dim. She could still see the beam of magical energy shooting up the length of the tower, and vaguely feel the power passing through it. It was a good thing Rainbow Dash had the sense not to fly across the stream—there was no telling what it might do to her.

Her friends’ voices faded to blurs after that. A few others went up the stairs to join Rainbow Dash on the roof, but Twilight didn’t follow.

“Here.” Spike extended a claw, a bundle of something dark and warm in it. A blanket. It wasn’t even wet.

Twilight didn’t question him, didn’t try to force him to take the blanket for himself. She let him throw it over her, and it helped squash her shivers. “Thanks,” she muttered, her words mushing together. “Used… more magic than I…”

“No problem,” Spike responded, grinning proudly at her. “You just rest. We’ll… work this out.”

“Look who’s growing up,” Twilight muttered, bemused. But she was already feeling better. Most of her exhaustion was magical, and she wasn’t keeping the shield up anymore.

“Yeah, well. Everypony’s got to grow up a little quicker when the world is ending around us,” Spike said. “I just hope this works. I don’t wanna fight the griffons. That seems like such a waste.”

“It would be,” Twilight said. “It would be a terrible waste for everypony. I thought we had the best pony for the job…” Except that Starlight Glimmer had slipped up. The griffons had tricked them into keeping pony slaves. Maybe they never would’ve given them up… but now there were ponies calling for war. Probably the griffons were hearing similar voices in Accipio. The emperor did not seem like he was going to compromise anytime soon. But neither was Princess Celestia.

“Hey, uh… Twi?” Applejack’s voice, from the top of the stairs. “I reckon you should take a look at this.”

“Sure.” Twilight rose, shaking herself out. She still felt cold, would’ve rather curled up right there and taken a nap. But her friends were counting on her. She tossed Spike his blanket and made her way up the stairs. He followed close behind, dutiful as ever.

There was no damage to the upper steps, and the layer of ice and snow that had once collected here was gone. Twilight emerged onto the roof beside the others, and stared out at what they had done. She did not need to ask Applejack what it was she was supposed to see.

The tower was now located in the exact center of a perfectly round lake. It wasn’t as deep as the tower was tall—perhaps a third that, and slowly getting shallower. There were a few little islands rising from the water, though not as many as she would’ve liked. Far, far in the distance, she could vaguely make out a wall of ice, stretching high above the water.

A layer of fog rose from the water, as though twisting and dancing through the air in front of her. There was even a boat on the lake.

Their balloon, floating slowly away. By some miracle it had managed to keep from being dragged under and flooded. Thank Celestia we didn’t take one with a chemical engine. Twilight didn’t understand how those worked as well as the magic ones, but she knew that if water got into the chemicals, they could explode.

As she watched, she could see a little line of light occasionally appear, connecting the top of the tower to some invisible point far in away. Back towards the Crystal Empire.

“We did it,” Rarity said, her voice low. “I’m having trouble believing it. But we did it. It’s so… it’s so warm. A few more hours and it might be warm enough to set up a beach resort.”

“I don’t like it,” Rainbow Dash muttered. “You can’t just tinker with the climate like this and expect nothing to happen. Warm air out in the middle of nowhere like this… I don’t like it. This is weather school 101 stuff, Twi.”

“Maybe we should worry about gettin’ our balloon back?” Applejack suggested, pointing. “I dunno if ya’ll noticed, but it’s floating away.”

“Yeah.” Twilight followed it with her eyes. “Rainbow, Fluttershy. Let’s fly out there and drag it back to the tower. We’ll… we have to stick around here long enough to see if anything bad happens. Then maybe…” There were the records downstairs, perhaps some of them had survived the flood. Even if they hadn’t, Twilight guessed there would be other ways to locate the rest of these towers. They all had the same effective range. They could probably assume the ancients had used them as efficiently as possible—used the position of this one to guess at where its neighbors might be.

Even if this worked, even if they found them all—there was no telling whether it would help deal with Accipio. But we can’t just sit around and wait for them to invade. We have to do something.

PreviousChapters Next