• Published 20th Nov 2017
  • 3,588 Views, 1,748 Comments

The Last Migration - Starscribe



When disaster forces the fierce griffins to seek shelter in Equestrian land, can two very different societies coexist? Or will the ancient enemies tear each other apart?

  • ...
28
 1,748
 3,588

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 36: Sunbeam Open

Velar felt the Stalwart Stratus accelerate beneath his claws, so rapidly that he expected the engine to tear right out of some distant housing. They tilted upward, so steep that he dug his claws into the ground, feeling his beak tighten as he held himself in place by the map. Princess Luna seemed entirely unaffected by the change, and the crew were all in their seats.

Starlight Glimmer squealed and nearly slipped down a sudden slope out the door they’d used to come in, but Velar was too quick. He snatched her out of the air with his claws, settling her down against the map. “Are you alright?”

She barely even got the chance to answer before one of the pony crew shouted from up ahead. “Their cannons should be ready now. Brace for impact!”

Starlight Glimmer wrapped one of her legs around him, shivering and closing her eyes. Velar didn’t move, just held as still as he could. Unity protect them.

The officer’s timing was almost perfect. Several bangs all sounded in series, so loud and close that the shock of impact followed almost instantly. The Stalwart Stratus rocked slightly to port, but less than he might’ve expected.

While the captain called out for a damage report, Princess Luna studied the map. Velar followed her eyes, which watched the pair of larger carriers begin a standard bombing approach. They aren’t going to land an army after all.

“They’re aiming for the palace,” Velar shouted, hoping he would be loud enough for the princess to hear over the chaos in the bridge. “Maybe they have something new they hope can kill an Alicorn.”

The princess nodded, without anger for him despite his words. “They are wasting their time. The palace is the first place we evacuated.”

And they should know that. What are you playing at, Santiago? Velar squinted at the map, but there was no way he was going to be able to see details on the level of individual birds on the deck. There were a few colorful marks moving around through the air that he thought matched pony cutie parks. Luna’s own moon followed the Stalwart Stratus through the air as it kept arching upward.

“Sunbeam is halfway charged!” called another voice, loud enough that Velar could make it out over all the others. “Target is still clear!”

“Count on another volley!” shouted the weapons officer again. “Brace for impact!”

Instead of a few distant thumps, this time Velar heard a terrible explosion, before being almost yanked off his feet. He wrapped his empty foreleg around the map, holding on for dear life. At least one pony wasn’t so lucky, and went flying right out of their restraints.

Alarms blared into the sound of blasting wind, as everything that wasn’t nailed down was buffeted about the room.

Then Princess Luna’s horn began glowing, and the wind abruptly stopped. Velar shuddered, letting go of the map and following her gaze again. Out into the access corridor a gaping hole had cut straight through the ship, and air poured in. Unity what kind of guns are they using?

Captain Blason’s voice cut through the sudden stillness moments later, clawing her way back into her seat. At least one of the ponies that had been wandering the room had fallen to a heap and stopped moving. “Damage… report…”

A pony set down the plastic thing she’d been holding. “Engineering says we’re losing integrity, we have to slow down!”

“Looks like they’re aiming at our guts!” yelled somepony else. “Sunbeam is intact. Almost charged now! Do you still want me to target the bomber, Captain? We can’t let them keep shooting us like this!”

“Yes,” Blason said, voice grave. “Signal the Lavender Spirit that we’re about to fire. If we hit, they can kill the destroyer.”

“Goodbye, Canterlot Castle,” Princess Luna whispered, her voice wistful. “You were my favorite so far.”

The first of the bombers began dropping its load. Velar could see the dark blurs falling from high openings, moments before flashes of light began appearing on the castle. At this distance the bombs seemed like toys—but the image on the table showed the truth. Little bits and pieces of the castle were crumbling. One particularly large explosion struck at the base of a tower, and it went toppling over the edge of the mountain into the abyss.

“Why aren’t you stopping it?” Starlight asked, apparently recovering from the shock of the explosion at last. “Princess, you’re an Alicorn! Couldn’t you bring the shield back yourself? Even if it was only for a second. Or Celestia, she could do it! Why are you letting them do this?”

“Because Prince Velar is correct,” Luna said. She sounded like she was mourning the loss of a friend. “Nothing will rouse the reluctant and fearful of Equestria to action more swiftly than an insult like that. All castles crumble eventually, Starlight. There is nothing carved from stone or wrought from steel that can compare to the lives it would cost if we failed today. This is a price we are willing to pay.”

Another round of cannon fire blasted around them, though this time was far less effective than the second round. Just a little rocking to the port side for a second, with a few minor damage reports. And they’re not firing back with their cannons. I saw the guns… what are they doing? Why wait?

“Sunbeam has reached saturation!” called the weapons pony.

“Hold for ten, then fire!” Blason called. “We don’t want that thing coming down on Canterlot.”

“They have armor too,” Velar shouted, emotion rising in him. “Nothing’s going to bring them down with one shot! Fire as often as you can!”

Blason looked like she was about to do something stupid—but then Luna raised a wing, gesturing away. Then she fixed her eyes on Velar. “Do not do that again. If you have information to share, do it with me. I will decide what orders to give.” She didn’t even shout, despite the din of the ship’s engines, the air whistling through damage in the hull. Even so, Velar found every other sound fell away to nothing as she spoke. She spoke with the absolute certainty of leadership, command with no need to threaten. What would happen if he disobeyed remained unsaid.

“Apologizes,” he said, lowering his head. It was the first time he’d ever done that to a pony—he hadn’t bowed for them during the negotiations. “It won’t happen again.”

“Firing now!”

The front windows became suddenly pitch black. For a second Velar wondered what had happened, what on Equus the ponies were planning blinding themselves this way. Then he saw light.

Like the ancient roar of Unity through the chaos of creation, a single shaft of order cut through the darkness. It was so phenomenally bright it briefly restored color to the window, cutting a straight line over Canterlot to where the bomber was pivoting around for their second pass.

Then came the crack of thunder. It was as though lightning had struck twenty feet from his head. He was momentarily deafened by it. A lesser creature might’ve been overwhelmed by the light and sound, but Velar had spent his life on the battlefield. He kept watching the window, empty except for the shaft of light across the sky and the carrier.

Then the light went out, and the window returned to daylight. His eyes were still fixed on the place the carrier had been, so he saw it clear.

The airship split in half. Molten steel from its armored broadside splashed away from the point of impact, and charred wood left a trail of embers in its wake.

Then one half exploded. Whatever the Equestrians had used, it ignited the powder magazine. Velar barely had time to recover before the sky went black a second time, and another line of light connected with the second carrier. He heard the secondary explosion before color had returned.

Massive chunks of wood and metal began to rain down over the mountain.

Unity grant that Equestria will show mercy, Velar thought, lowering his head in silent prayer. Carriers like that typically had a hundred birds as crew, along with maybe a thousand marines if they were carrying an army. All dead in seconds.

Maybe they really do move the sun.

“The Spirit is firing on the destroyer!” called the same pony from before.

Velar tensed, preparing for the final display of Equestrian air superiority. He would witness the deaths of these oathbreakers and traitors even as his father had witnessed the death of Accipio itself.

Terrible lightning turned the sky to darkness, headed straight for the destroyer. Then it hit, and abruptly went out. Light returned and the airship was still following them, its cannons preparing for another volley.

Another symbol appeared on the map, right above the destroyer. It looked a little like the symbols he thought represented pony cutie marks, except that this one was solid black. Lots of little lines expanding from a central point.

Velar saw it a moment later—a figure hovered above the destroyer, his armor glowing like liquid gold. Even from a distance he thought he could feel the power of it. Voidsteel didn’t just destroy the spells used against it—it incorporated their power unto itself.

I thought my father’s armor was the only one that could do that.

And so it had been. But so far as he knew, none of them had ever been struck with such incredible amounts of magic before.

“Lilac Sky is firing!”

“Don’t!” Velar said, this time to the princess. “You’re just making him stronger!”

“Tell them to hold their fi—” Luna began, but too late.

Lightning crossed the sky again, aimed straight for the destroyer. It was even less effective this time, not even getting near it before curving straight towards the bird in armor. He was glowing so brightly now that Velar could see him clearly even at this enormous distance. Not well enough to identify which set of Voidsteel he was wearing, or who he might be. It wouldn’t be Santiago, right? He’d never come on such a dangerous mission himself.

A sudden, eerie silence descended on the battle. The destroyer didn’t fire its next volley, no ponies called out damage reports. Every eye was fixed on that glowing figure. Then he yelled, his voice magically amplified by the power of the Voidsteel. Thanks to the infusion he’d just received, his voice was loud enough that Velar could hear it clearly even through the Stalwart Stratus.

“EQUESTRIAN COWARDS! COME OUT FROM BEHIND YOUR LITTLE PONIES AND SHOW ME HONOR! FIGHT ME HERE, OR I WILL DESTROY THIS CITY! SEND ME YOUR ALICORNS!”

“He can’t destroy the city with that,” Starlight Glimmer said from beside Velar. She wasn’t like the sailors surrounding them—she’d obviously been seriously shaken by the deaths. Her voice sounded very small, and higher pitched than before. “Two shots from the sunbeam couldn’t destroy a city, even if he could use all their magic perfectly.”

“No,” Princess Luna agreed. “But they could kill thousands. My sister and I have always put the lives of our ponies before our own.” The air beside them began to shimmer, then tore open. Princess Luna nodded to Velar. “You should witness this, heir to Gaius Renault. Join us.”

“Princess, no!” Starlight called. But she wasn’t clinging to the princess—she was holding onto him. “Don’t go! This is obviously what they were planning all along!”

She shrugged. The air opened onto the top of a distant ship, where griffons rushed about the deck, pointing rifles at the spot. They didn’t fire, though. Maybe they knew how useless that would be against a princess.

Not far away on the deck, the air opened again, and Princess Celestia emerged, her mane alight with red like the hottest July afternoon.

Velar pried Starlight’s hoof away from his foreleg, then followed the princess through the opening. He heard the crack of air behind him as his claws settled onto the deck of the griffon destroyer.

Lord Giovanni landed on the deck just ahead of them, his armor no longer black. It lit up so brightly that he could hardly look at it, had to shield his eyes with a wing. At least he didn’t deafen them with his words. “And now the weak have come to die,” he said. “After all these centuries, Accipio will finally have its victory.”

PreviousChapters Next