• Published 20th Nov 2017
  • 3,589 Views, 1,748 Comments

The Last Migration - Starscribe



When disaster forces the fierce griffins to seek shelter in Equestrian land, can two very different societies coexist? Or will the ancient enemies tear each other apart?

  • ...
28
 1,748
 3,589

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 26: Boarding Party

Gina was not the sort of bird who had to deal with the big picture of politics. She didn’t have to see the relationships between the great houses, or their slow machinations as they constantly fought to out-maneuver each other. Her own house had been part of that great game once, though she hadn’t been anywhere near the top. The birds of Purity had been unwilling to sacrifice their purity to do what was necessary to keep a great house from being torn apart from all sides. Now Purity was gone, divided into the masses of birds of other bloodlines.

But how much longer could Accipio continue as they were, consuming another great house every decade or so? Eventually their waring and politicking would create a world where only one house remained, and the emperor it produced would rule for all of time.

Even if he’s from house Virtue, that would be a terrible ending for our kind. Even if the emperor came from house Purity, and they were still living together in their ancestral homeland, it would’ve made her nervous. But the future was even less certain now that they were guests at the whim of ponies.

Now it seemed house Vengeance had taken the first steps to ensuring they would be guests no longer.

Gina moved slowly along the deck, passing Hogarth with a nod as she walked. Captain Hookbeak seemed to have his eye mostly on the sky, scanning for pony ships.

Below them, Equestria passed by as quickly as their engines could take them. But however swift the Lapwing was, it couldn’t outrun the smoke its engines made as they flew. The chances that some pony ship wouldn’t be waiting to intercept them were very small.

What was worse, Gideon and his Vengeance monks now skulked across the deck, practicing their various crafts in whatever corners they could find. They wore the sacred robes with distinction, but even so Gina could muster little respect for them. There was no denying the danger they had brought to every bird by circumventing the pony injunction on firearms. They could sing sweet songs about obeying the words of the treaty all they wanted—when Equestria heard about this, there would be war.

Gina found herself settling in beside Isabel on the deck. The pony was near the bow, watching as settlements went by far below them. Compared to the destruction of their homeland, Equestria seemed almost unscathed by the apocalypse. Even the signs of ordinary war were absent—Accipio was a land of mighty fortresses, where every hill was fortified with some ancient redoubt, or equally ancient burial site.

Equestria had no such places. Their cities weren’t fortresses tucked against the mountains, but more sprawling versions of the slave-settlements that worked the land of Accipio. No walls, no cannons, nothing.

“Do you regret coming here?” Gina asked, her voice low. There was nothing to stop her from conversing with her slaves—but the priests from Vengeance were watching. There were old customs about the way to treat slaves. She didn’t want some birds working for the honorless Vengeance to overhear what she was thinking. “Or maybe you wish you were down there.”

“No,” Isabel said. “I don’t think so. Maybe you didn’t need me… but it’s nice to see Equestria up close. I always wanted to… see it. Not live here—they’re too primitive for me. I don’t want to live with barbarians. But maybe once everything is safe I’ll be able to visit.”

Gina was about to reply, but she didn’t get the chance. Someone shouted from behind her, and she spun around to see it was Hookbeak. “Equestrian vessels ahead, Imperator! What are your orders?”

Gina nodded once to the unicorn, then took to the air, gliding swiftly to the upper deck beside the captain. “Can you get away, Hookbeak?”

The old bird shook his head. “Afraid not, Imperator. There’s three of them this time, all along the border. Take a look.” He held out his spyglass for her, and Gina squinted at the lens to look. There were three of them all-right, modern Equestrian vessels with the odd-looking hulls and magical engines. She’d heard rumors some of these new ships had cannons on them too, though as of yet they’d never had the displeasure of finding out. The day an Equestrian ship actually fired on an Accipian ship might be the beginning of the end of the world.

“Those flags.” She passed the binoculars back. “What are they signaling?”

Captain Hookbeak took his spyglass back, staring through the lenses for a few seconds. “That’s… they think we’re a merchant ship. Makes sense, with no Accipian flag flying. But once they get closer they’re going to see all of us, and know we’re not from that midden of Griffonstone. Our heading makes that mighty obvious.”

“And we can’t outrun them?” Gina looked past him, to the empty places where cannons would be on the side of their ship. Removing them had meant a significantly reduced weight, meant they were nimble—but it also meant they were defenseless. Emperor Gaius had obeyed the treaty in every respect when sending them—except for the part about ponies no longer allowing them across the border.

“No chance,” Hookbeak said. “Well, we can delay them. Come about, make for Equestrian territory with all speed. But they’re in their own lands. They’ll have reinforcements coming from the north to cut us off.

“We’re doing what Equestria wanted,” Gina muttered. “It’s okay. That’s what we’ll tell them. There’s nothing aboard we need be concerned about.” She glanced briefly down at the deck, where Isabel was still watching the countryside below them. Almost nothing to be concerned about.

She straightened. “Captain Hookbeak, signal our surrender. We’ll reduce speed and allow ourselves to be boarded.”

A few of the sailors all around them seemed visibly annoyed with this pronouncement. One of them muttered something she couldn’t hear to another sailor—she could only catch the word “female,” and from his tone it was obvious it hadn’t been flattering.

She didn’t know what the bird had said, but she didn’t much care. She pretended as though she hadn’t heard. Hookbeak, for his part, only saluted before shouting his orders. The Lapwing began to slow, a griffon near the bow flashing a few flags in rhythm to the distant pony ship. Gina didn’t know what they meant, but she assumed it was surrender.

“One more thing, Hookbeak. Raise our flag. Make sure they know who they’re boarding.”

“Aye, ma’am.”

She returned to the front of the ship, settling in beside Isabel. “You should… probably get below decks, Isabel,” she suggested. “And… while you’re at it, give me that slave-collar.” It wasn’t locked. Like all of Gina’s slaves, Isabel was loyal to the core, and her collar was not a restraint. Even Hogarth’s heavy iron band was more for intimidation’s sake, as well as reassuring citizen birds that he was “under control.” It had no lock.

Isabel removed the slave-collar without hesitation. But Gina wasn’t the kind of master who expected absolute, unquestioning obedience from her slaves. Not when they might have better ideas. “It might be better if I stay up here,” she said, her voice appropriately deferential. “It they search and find me, it will be worse than if I’m on the deck when they get here. I can take off the necklace, but I can’t remove this.” She twisted her right hind leg slightly, exposing the long-healed scar of her brand.

Few masters still branded their slaves—that barbaric practice had fallen out of favor a long time ago. But many of the slaves Gina had obtained for her own household had been by confiscation, taken from some of the worst families in Accipio. Birds who didn’t treat honor the way Virtue did.

Gina tucked the slave-collar away into her money-pouch, nodding once to Isabel. “Good idea. And if they ask…”

“I’ll say I’m a member of your household,” Isabel said. “It’s true. They’re ponies, they won’t have the courage to question you. They’re barbarians and cowards all.”

They watched in silence as the three pony airships closed in around them. She could see as they got closer that the rumor of Equestrian ships having cannons appeared to be just that—these ships had a single ballista atop their decks, as though they were on their way to a museum display.

As they neared, the birds of the Griffonstone monastery gathered near the top deck. All except for Gideon, who joined Gina on the bow to watch.

“An interesting tactic, allowing them to get this close,” he whispered. “We can see their numbers, certainly. Their weaknesses. How will we destroy them?”

“Through cooperation,” Gina said, unable to keep the spite from her tone. “Once they realize we are here enforcing the will of their princesses, they will be helpless but to leave us alone.”

Her mockery didn’t elicit so much as a smile from the monk. He looked her up and down with a withering stare. “Don’t think that just because Purity was willing to bend the knee that the rest of us are so easily broken. We won’t be ridden like a slave by the weak will of prey. My birds will not submit to these slaves dressing up and pretending to be soldiers. They will learn their place in time.”

“You will cooperate, by authority of Emperor Gaius,” she said, flashing her seal briefly at him. “If your birds resist, you will not return for trial. I’ll have your wings bound and throw you overboard myself.”

It wasn’t entirely an empty threat. Imperial commands were absolute, and she did carry his authority. At least so far as returning these birds to Accipian territory. But Gideon was from an important branch of house Vengeance. “You know who I am,” he said, his voice low. She could see the glint of his claws, purposefully extended for a moment. “There is no greater master of arms in all Accipio. I could kill every soldier aboard those ships without a gun. The only reason any of your crew is still alive is my cousin’s respect for Gaius. You would not do well to test it.”

The pony ships were very close now. She could see the pegasi moving through the air all around them, wearing their light scale-mail armor. They carried crossbows, most of them, though some had blades instead. No firearms to speak of. The center ship appeared be moving alongside, with a few ponies preparing to bring across the bridge that would connect them. They were being boarded.

“Your skills are impressive,” Gina agreed. “I saw some of your tournaments, before you took the vow of service to the ancestors. But don’t think Gaius sent this ship unprepared to deal with you. If you raise your claws against me or those ponies, I swear on the old blood of Purity you won’t leave my ship alive.”

He met her gaze in an electric silence, yellow eyes boring into her light blue. But she didn’t look away, not for a second. Not until the voice of a gruff pony sounded from behind them. “All aboard, line up and present yourselves for inspection! Any wearing weapons will toss them to the deck and not pick them up again. If you’re carrying contraband, present it now—it’ll go quicker for all of us. Will the officer in charge please present themselves and their writ of passage.” And on and on.

Gina turned her back on Gideon. The gesture took enormous courage—showing ones back directly after a confrontation like this was a dangerous gamble. Vulnerability like that invited attack, but it was also an expression of contempt. As Gina was female, that made the move even more pronounced. You are beneath my notice. I know I have power over you. And at least for the moment, she was right. She could smell the bird’s anger following her across the deck, but Gideon didn’t strike her.

“That would be me,” she said, stopping before the pony in the fanciest uniform. She removed her large knife from her belt in an exaggerated way, tossing it to the side. Then she extended a talon. “My name is Gina of house Virtue. We travel under the sacred auspice of the emperor himself.” She removed the seal, handing over the wrought gold to the officer. “I trust you’ll find everything in order.”

PreviousChapters Next