• Published 20th Nov 2017
  • 3,590 Views, 1,748 Comments

The Last Migration - Starscribe



When disaster forces the fierce griffins to seek shelter in Equestrian land, can two very different societies coexist? Or will the ancient enemies tear each other apart?

  • ...
28
 1,748
 3,590

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 43: Emperor

“Evacuate the palace,” Velar whispered to Anthony, his voice low. “You can’t raise your weapons to help me, or else be taken by Starlight’s spell. I’ll have to fight this alone.”

“You’re more than an equal to him,” Anthony whispered back, before saluting one last time. “It’s our turn for some revenge, Velar. For your old man.”

“We’ll have it.” And he meant it. House Virtue was more than deserving after all that Vengeance had done to their city. And to his family.

Anthony rushed off. The evacuation order spread through distant shouts. Velar couldn’t follow them, or help. He would have to hope that they could figure things out. Santiago was just the sort of bird to try to use some helpless creature as a hostage to make him surrender… and he couldn’t, not with the terms set as they were. He would kill far more than any one bird, even if that bird was his mother. Or if they were Starlight.

Santiago seemed to guess what he was thinking, because he laughed bitterly. “You think I would dare involve someone not party to our duel? Well, maybe you’re not as dumb as you look.” He smacked the side of his head, and the helmet clanked down. “It was supposed to be your father who knew my vengeance, not you. You should’ve made like a good bird and stayed dead.”

“Unity protects the ones he loves,” Velar said, knocking his own helmet down with a smack. With a little effort of will, Velar summoned his weapon, which bled metal off his body in little rivulets until it had appeared there. A greatsword, easily as long as his entire body, surprisingly light for its size. But not weightless—it would still have inertia.

Santiago’s own weapon—a massive spiked warhammer—appeared a moment later. “You repeat the lies your priests whisper to slaves. You and I both know that they aren’t true. If Unity exists at all, it is to reward those who triumph and to punish the weak. Unity will judge me the better ruler for the empire, and the world after that.”

“We’ll see,” Velar said, rising up onto his hind legs. It was a fairly difficult position, one that few birds could master. Ancientstance granted greater reach and flexibility than many other forms, but far less stability. Santiago was no plush bird, pampered up in a palace. He assumed a perfect stance with his warhammer, low and ready to swing. “I don’t think Unity would judge your actions as strength. Trying to take advantage of Equestria at a time when we needed them most. They gave us kindness, and you rewarded them with a dagger.”

He swung—not swift enough that he expected to hit anything. And he didn’t—Santiago backed away, then followed up with his own strike. Not really aimed at Velar either, but the ground he was standing on. Stone splintered, but neither bird was hurt. It was only the opening exchange.

Velar’s own swing had enough momentum with it that he had to continue forward, towards the empty thrones. The high table was already on its side, and many of the benches the nobility used were overturned or hacked up. Was there a battle in here already? I thought Vengeance hadn’t breached the palace yet.

“It will be good to finally return the ponies to their place,” Santiago said, lifting his hammer high for another strike. But still they remained at a distance, each just on the edge of their reach. “They’ve remained unconquered for too long. Lording over us with myths about the sun and stories about immortality. We’ll see all that torn down when this is over… or, if some of it is true, then shared. Your father never should’ve accepted a peace bargain. Mine would’ve happily led the invasion in perfect loyalty. Fighting like this… only weakens us. We will need more tenacity when we fight Equestria.

“You will need an army,” Velar said, grinning smugly in his helmet. “A single Equestrian destroyed yours. If they’re not finished killing each other, they will be by the time I’m done with you.”

Santiago roared, smashing his warhammer down again, not even aiming at Velar this time. The stone above the castle basement was far weaker than his armor—it splintered, and Velar went tumbling with a screech. His whole body rumbled and thumped for a few seconds, until he crashed to the ground like a bag full of glass.

He was standing in the granary, surrounded by barrels of ale and huge bags of grain. His sword was on the other side of the room—and Santiago leapt down towards him, ready for another mighty swing of his hammer.

It was a long fall, long enough for Velar to dodge. Well, some of it. He couldn’t avoid the blow entirely, but he’d rather get hit by a bird in armor than a warhammer specifically chosen to shatter Voidsteel. Even so, he felt his breastplate crack under the impact, and one of the smaller plates on his hind legs shatter completely.

Velar ignored the pain, rolling Santiago off his back and smashing him into the ground with all the force he could. The hammer flew out of his hand, even as Velar smashed it against the stone basement. His gauntlet exploded, and Velar kept smashing, holding him down until his helmet started to crack.

But then Santiago threw him off and leapt onto him in a grapple.

It was as though all their many years of civilization were forgotten in an instant, and they were two wild predators meeting again in a jungle. Their massive armor hardly slowed them down as they battered together, first a slash from Velar, then a tackle from Santiago. They crashed together through a shelf of wine, and bright red liquid spilled all around them. Santiago held him down a second, apparently not realizing that Velar’s helmet was undamaged and that he couldn’t be drowned. But Velar reached down, gripped his sword from where it had fallen, and banished it away.

Then he was hoisted back up and kicked again.

Velar soared through the air, straight up through the opening they’d made to skid along the floor of the throne room. Benches shattered to splinters, though a few chunks sunk through one shoulder plate and into his flesh. Velar moaned, remember his training. He could hear pounding from downstairs—Santiago climbing. His armor couldn’t fly.

He burst through an open doorway moments later, clutching his warhammer in both claws again, and dripping with red liquid. Velar imagined it was all the blood of New Scythia, called back from the slaughter Santiago had ordered.

“Pitiful,” he said, advancing slowly across the room. “First blood already. I was hoping you would let me enjoy this. After the first time, I imagined you would be harder to kill.”

Velar didn’t call forth another weapon, though the sight of Santiago advancing towards him with a massive warhammer raised certainly made it hard to resist. One more blow might shatter his breastplate, and if that happened… the fight would be over. “You’re overestimating yourself,” Velar panted, backing up towards the throne. “I was ranked higher than you in the dueling ladder. Back in Accipio… you’re just seeing what you want to see.” He reached down, yanking out the chunk of wood in his knee. No sooner had he done it than the armor sealed down over him. It couldn’t heal the wound, but it would stop him from bleeding to death. At least until it’s removed, or the whole leg shatters. It was only buying time.

“Dueling is another lie,” Santiago said, smashing through the high table with his warhammer. He didn’t need to—but there was nothing stopping him either. Ancient wood went everywhere, and there was now nothing between them. Velar couldn’t back up any further, not with the throne behind him. “Think about it. Dueling is like honor—a list of rules, rules that prevent us from getting things done quickly. This war would never have happened without honor—we would’ve gone straight for Equestria’s capital, spent all those months training for an invasion. I’m sure you could’ve tortured that unicorn enough to write whatever letters back we wanted.” He lowered his voice dangerously. “When I get my claws on her, I know I’ll keep her alive long enough to enjoy it. I’ll never get back what’s owed to me after what she did to my army, but I can sure try. And… maybe pay the ponies back, once we reach Canterlot. That city is too proud.”

He shoved through the ruined wood towards Velar. Velar kept still, clutching at his wounded leg. Santiago swung.

But Velar wasn’t much slowed. While the huge hammer soared over his head, only the rod glanced off his back as he passed inside its reach. Velar tackled Santiago again, this time smashing him sideways into his mother’s throne. Broken marble showered down around them in a dusty haze, even as the back of Santiago’s breastplate cracked.

“That’s for trying to kill me!” he screamed, smashing Santiago’s head against the back of the throne. The helmet shattered into bits of dark metal, dissolving to smoke around his neck and drifting away. He gripped firmly against his shoulders, going back for another blow—but too slow. Santiago kicked him, and he staggered backward.

“Your mistake…” Santiago breathed, reaching under the gap in his armor with a claw. “...was assuming others live by the same rules.” A handgun emerged from inside, its barrel almost as wide as Velar’s eye.

He acted by reflex, trying to doge. But they were so close—Santiago couldn’t have missed if he tried.

There was a deafening explosion in the throne room. He thought he saw the gun explode in Santiago’s hand, sending bits of shrapnel in all directions and taking the claw with it.

Then Velar felt a charging buffalo strike him in the chest. The ground blurred past him, and the world turned to foggy haze. He heard a distant voice, maybe Santiago’s voice, maybe just the ringing of burst eardrums. It hurt everywhere, but he forced himself to look down. His breastplate had shattered, and the armor on his limbs was getting heavy. It had probably saved his life—but he was already losing speed.

Velar was only half aware, but he forced himself to his feet anyway, staring down Santiago as he advanced. The other griffon limped, avoiding putting his weight on the reddish blur that was his claw.

“Meaningless…” Santiago was saying, his voice drifting in and out. His warhammer banged and clanked as he dragged it along the hall towards him “Your priestess is the best in the world, and all… blood. To grow it back. When this is over, there will be plenty of blood to spare. I wonder whose I will use… Starlight Glimmer’s? Or Guinevere’s?” He reared onto his back legs, gripping the warhammer in his one good claw. He wouldn’t have to move much to bring it down on Velar, who could barely move to begin with.

Greater reach. But less mobility. Velar faced Santiago down, his whole body shaking. His limbs were freezing in place. He had enough energy left for one more movement, perhaps, before the whole suit locked and he would need technicians to remove it.

“Goodbye, Velar,” Santiago said, spitting blood onto him. “I’ll be a good emperor, I promise you that. Say hello to Gaius for me.”

He swung. Now. Velar focused his will, calling back his weapon—a pike this time, that appeared from Voidsteel. He surged forward into it, gripping it with both claws and driving it up through Santiago’s exposed neck. He felt hot blood for another few seconds, the crash as his hammer shattered a wall behind him.

A few coughing splutters escaped Santiago, his eyes wide with terror. Then he fell limp, and his weight took Velar down with him.

Velar fell hard, feeling his other shoulder shatter as he went down. But it didn’t matter—Santiago didn’t get up.

The war was over.

Author's Note:

Just a little more until the end here. I'll save my final thoughts for then.

PreviousChapters Next