• Published 20th Nov 2017
  • 3,589 Views, 1,748 Comments

The Last Migration - Starscribe



When disaster forces the fierce griffins to seek shelter in Equestrian land, can two very different societies coexist? Or will the ancient enemies tear each other apart?

  • ...
28
 1,748
 3,589

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 18: Bird and Blood

Velar didn’t think it was all that strange for a bird of courage and bravery to volunteer to assist a noble cause in the Tournament of Freedom. He’d spent his childhood sleeping in war camps and listening to stories of Gavin the Just, and the loyal friend he made in the minotaur Mel’darak, when he volunteered to assist the creature in just such an event as this. Griffins were creatures of superior moral character, that was where their right to rule came from in the first place. If the former wasn’t true, then the latter wouldn’t be either.

He would have expected his own father—as virtuous and upright as he was crafty—to see the political advantage to such a move. What could show the slaves whose work they now depended on for survival how valuable they were to Accipio then a ruler protecting a slave in a disadvantaged contest?

Gaius did not raise a claw to stop him, as he could have done. He also didn’t express any kind of endorsement. He could see the typical fearful, frightened reaction from Guinevere he would’ve expected from any female. Nature just hadn’t equipped females to understand the importance of things like this. A show of virtue could inspire these birds—and maybe help Starlight understand them a little better. Maybe she wouldn’t hate him so much if she saw how much he cared about every citizen of Accipio, even its slaves.

He landed on the tournament ground, a few strides ahead of his personal guard. Anthony hurried to catch up with him. “Please, sire. Let me fight in your place. You don’t belong here. You shouldn’t be in danger like this.”

“It isn’t even to first blood,” Velar argued, waving Anthony off with a dismissive wing. “It’s just to submission, and we won’t be using real weapons. If I lose, I step out of the ring and that’s that. What’s the danger?”

Velar had the advantage in this contest now—he knew the enemy, and what he was armed with. Velar selected the heaviest, slowest armor, made from steel and padded with cloth. Without spikes on the morning star, it could withstand several direct hits without subjecting him to injury. The perfect protection from a foe like this.

As soon as he selected it, tournament armorers rushed over to help him into it. The armor was crude and didn’t protect as well as proper plate did—a true set of plate armor would’ve been tailored to his body, and fit in overlapping sections with chain mail underneath. There was none of the latter here, since there would be no blades to stop in this contest. Only blows, for which thick cloth was lighter, cheaper, and more effective.

“I knew there was at least one bird in this stadium who remembered what we used to be like,” said Gallard, striding over with apparent confidence and watching the armorers at their work. “I didn’t think it would be from house Virtue.” There was bitterness there that this young bird should not have been old enough to feel. He looked about Velar’s age—he should’ve been about the same age when clan Purity had been conquered. They had been the last imperial clan, after all. There was a reason Virtue now ruled, and it was not their superior virtue alone.

“You could refuse my help,” Velar said good-naturedly, though he made no move to stop the armorers at their work. “My noble mother would probably buy your freedom right now out of gratitude. And you’d stop my friend Anthony here from having a heart attack.”

Gallard only shook his head. “I don’t see any other volunteers. I can’t refuse you.”

Velar nodded. The armorers were working quickly, and nearly done now. The suit fit poorly, and there were several gaps a blade or arrow could’ve been shoved through to kill him. But there would be neither in this bout, and so it would be fine. Just uncomfortable. “We can sing about the victory tonight in my favorite winehouse. I promise you’ve never had wine until you’ve had Gracie’s Cranberry Sour.”

Gallard looked away. “We have to win first. Do you think you can do that, uh…” He trailed off. “I don’t know all the heirs, I’m sorry. You’re the emperor’s son.”

“Velar,” he supplied, pride only slightly wounded. But this was a slave. It wasn’t terribly surprising that he wouldn’t be abreast of the state of every noble family. The Purity clan had been mostly bought by Vengeance when their house fell, at least those that had become slaves at all.

Velar selected a warhammer from among the many weapons, one with a handle long enough he could swing it from outside the minotaur’s reach. It was a massive hunk of metal, maybe even meant for those wearing the enchanted armor. Lots of hand-me-downs end up in this arena. It was badly dented and the handle looked like it was a few blows from coming off. But that was no worry either—he could get a new weapon if this one broke during the bout.

These were not the duels to the death that had been the mainstay of ancient Accipio. Such violent conflicts were reserved for matters of succession in civilized times. It would do no empire any good if any of the ruling houses thought they could challenge for the throne at any time and survive it. Like house Purity, the price for defeat was terrible. Regardless of which side of the conflict you were on.

“We have a second!” shouted the referee—who had been much too quiet to hear from the upper stands. She was more here for the competitors, a few volumes of the tournament rules open at her table beside the arena. The birds took the ancient customs very seriously.

“This is your last chance to change your mind, competitor Torgo. Are you certain you submit to the results of this bout? Whichever side wins will proceed to finals. Whichever side loses will exit the tournament completely.”

“I’m sure,” said the massive muscular slave. Now that Velar was up close, he could see just how massive he was. The minotaur was covered with scars, and had arms that were as thick as Velar’s neck. “I could do three. But I will not invite loss by testing it.” He stepped into the ring, dragging the massive flail weapon along through the plain dirt behind him.

Velar looked around the stadium, and was a little disappointed by what he saw. The ancient stories of battles like these had taken place in Scythia, or in others of the ancient cities. There were supposed to be huge pillars of stone, and a hundred thousand cheering birds. Instead there was a sky too orange with ash and raised wooden benches. Most of the birds watched from clouds instead of the ancient architecture of their forefathers. Those wonders were now buried in ash.

“The bout proceeds until all members of one side yield!” shouted the referee, mostly for the other slaves. They would have to do this soon enough. And Velar wouldn’t be helping all of them. But he could help this one. “They need only make their intentions clear by stepping over the dividing line. If you are forced out, it will not be considered a forfeit so long as you reenter the arena within ten seconds.” She gestured, and a nearby slave smacked a massive bronze gong. Smacked it loud enough that Velar’s ears rang with the noise.

Velar stepped over the line and into the arena beside Gallard. He kept his voice low, exactly as he might do on the battlefield. It would’ve been quite easy to have this conversation before entering the arena, but that was theoretically against the rules. The entire custom was meant to symbolize the events of many of their most important stories, where unlikely allies had arrived at the last moment to rescue a bird in need. That meant you couldn’t coordinate or strategize until it began.

“Have you ever fought a minotaur before?”

Gallard shook his head. Their opponent began to close on them, taking slow, confident steps. He lifted the flail in his paw and began to spin it around and around, building momentum. Even without spikes that could crack my head open if I lose my helmet.

“We have to flank him!” Velar whispered under his breath, voice harsh and urgent. “Wear him down. No individual blow will incapacitate him. And it’s better if we don’t draw blood, even by accident.” Unlike actual contests to first blood, this one would continue in the event of a minor wound. There were many old stories of such battles, where a heroic bird had fought until they died, even though that kind of sacrifice wasn’t required. “You try and beat his legs with the butt of the rifle! Forget the blade, it’s more dangerous to us. If you stab him hard enough to make him bleed, he might go into a frenzy.”

“Is that real?” Gallard sounded doubtful. “That only happens in songs!”

Velar glared at him. “It’s real! And if it happens, you lose. He’ll fight until he dies.”

Many of the accidental deaths in tournaments like this came from such events—a minotaur would enter a rage, then beat their enemy into submission. Then keep beating them until riflemen had to put them down. By then, often both candidates were dead. There were no riflemen around the arena now—the birds watching had crossbows. He could see Anthony whispering to them even now, likely instructing them to be ready to kill to protect Velar if that happened.

Velar might be the son of the emperor—but unless someone in this bout broke the rules, there would be no consequences for anything that happened from this moment on. They were not clan Vengeance, likely to ignore the spirit of the tournament’s rules if something happened. But the minotaur won’t be trying to kill us. Just get us to surrender.

Velar spared a glance for the stands, and was pleased to see Starlight Glimmer practically hanging out of their box, watching the conflict below with obvious fear on her face. She cares what happens to me. I knew I wasn’t a total failure at this diplomacy stuff. That was what their relationship was called, right? Diplomatic?

Velar couldn’t dodge very effectively, not wearing plate. As Torgo finally closed on the two of them, he planted his legs as firmly as he could, preparing for the fight. The minotaur towered over him, taller than a bird in Voidsteel. Not nearly as dangerous—if Torgo had Voidsteel and Velar didn’t, he would’ve taken to the air and tried to bring the minotaur down with rifle fire. It could happen, if you had enough powder and the armored foe didn’t have friends. Otherwise, just run. “I’ll fight him from the front. Do as much damage from behind as you can. Back off when he targets you, and I’ll try to get his attention. We can do this.”

Torgo laughed loudly, his voice echoing through the stadium. “I never thought I’d fight a prince before. Son of the emperor, pampered bird in a cage. This is rare chance.”

He swung—completely ignoring Gallard.

Velar spun the hammer in the air, catching the flail around the haft and wrenching backward. The movement was perfect—or as perfect as it needed to be. He didn’t need much precision when there were no spikes to avoid on the flail.

He had hoped to yank the weapon out of the minotaur’s hand, but no luck. Torgo didn’t let go, and so the gesture sent him smashing to the floor beside Velar.

“Now!” He couldn’t retaliate with his own weapon twisted up in the flail—his claws were covered, just like the minotaur’s horns. But Gallard could. Even that awful rifle could land a few thumps.

And Gallard did. Velar heard a strange clicking sound, one he knew shouldn’t have been possible. Then there was an explosion, and a blast of dark smoke through the air around him.

He felt the pain in his chest as though it belonged to someone else. The bullet went right through the thin steel on his back.

His ears were still ringing—he couldn’t hear the shouts. He wobbled, toppling forward beside his tripped enemy. Red blood oozed out through his armored front.

He shot me. The thought came only with surprise, not anger or betrayal. There was too much shock for that. Then he collapsed, and didn’t think about anything.

PreviousChapters Next