• Published 20th Nov 2017
  • 3,589 Views, 1,748 Comments

The Last Migration - Starscribe



When disaster forces the fierce griffins to seek shelter in Equestrian land, can two very different societies coexist? Or will the ancient enemies tear each other apart?

  • ...
28
 1,748
 3,589

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 32: Unwilling Recruit

Velar sat in the garden courtyard of the Canterlot General Hospital, pretending that he wasn’t a prisoner. It wasn’t hard—his guards kept their presence discrete, and they hadn’t tormented him with shackles or any other indignities. He hadn’t missed the armed guards always lurking just out of sight—but as long as they didn’t keep him locked up inside anymore, that didn’t matter.

The Equestrians might not be much for war, but damn if they didn’t know how to keep a garden. There were so many different flowers, so much that was alive, he could almost pretend he was safe behind the walls of a Virtue monastery.

Starlight Glimmer hadn’t come back with more secrets for him to give away, and Velar was beginning to wonder if she ever would. Maybe the ponies would keep him captive in this garden until his father agreed to give up everything that Accipio had won for themselves. Except he never would, which meant that Velar would live here until he died.

Or until a commando team could extract him. There were plenty of skilled servants of the crown who weren’t griffons. Plenty who could slip into Equestrian territory and get out again.

Of course there was one aspect of being here that he could never mistake—the way that the ponies acted. Sure, the doctors treated him with respect, they still told stories of the way he’d turned down griffon medicine in favor of their own pony method. But the visitors, the other patients—Velar knew revulsion when he saw it.

But why were so many of them afraid of him?

Velar didn’t walk around the grounds covered in blood, and he didn’t come at every pony child with glittering claws and a snapping beak. He sat calmly in the shade, watching the equestrian weather crews work the sky, and occasionally said a few words of greeting to the gardener.

“Don’t get too close,” he had heard a young mother whisper, shuffling her young child away from him. “Don’t look at him.”

But today things were different. The sky above Canterlot had gone hazy, and no weather team had arrived to clear it. He couldn’t hear the usual rumble of carts from outside the hospital either, or the cheery voices of ponies form within the building. There wasn’t a single other patron in the garden with him.

He tried asking his guards—without success. When that failed, Velar could do nothing but return to his comfortable place and hope that Equestria would need him. He’d already given his word to Starlight that he wouldn’t try to escape. He could revoke it if he could tell her in person. But until then, he might as well be wearing iron manacles for all his chances of escaping. If a team of Accipian infiltrators broke into the hospital right now, they would have to restrain him to get him away. He’d given his word.

Eventually someone did come—not the commandos. But Starlight Glimmer. She wasn’t followed by a member of hospital security, but a squad of half a dozen Royal Guards, all wearing the full armor of war.

Velar rose from his perch, and felt only a slight moment of discomfort at his gut. While the short fur there was a little embarrassing, there was no chance of his insides spilling out onto the dirt anymore. Zoya had been wrong about Equestrian medicine after all. It could do every incredible thing Starlight Glimmer had promised.

“Hey, Starlight,” Velar said, without any of the formality he’d always observed around her in Accipio. “All this for our date?”

The unicorn almost tripped on the bridge and slipped into the shallow pond. But she composed herself, and settled onto the hill beside him with a bit of magic. The soldiers didn’t get any closer, but spread out to cover the doors. Velar recognized that wariness. These were veterans, and they expected genuine danger here. Strange that they weren’t watching him with fear. So what do they know that I don’t know?

“Unfortunately not,” Starlight said. She sounded pained—afraid, maybe. Or she’d been crying. “You need to come with us. Equestria is under attack. There are warships on their way to Canterlot right now. We’re taking you into protective custody.”

“Warships?” He raised an eyebrow, but didn’t resist. Two of the soldiers had stopped on the other side of the bridge, ready to compel him if he fought. Besides, this hospital was no home to Velar. He’d rather be wherever these ponies were going anyway. At least as a political bargaining chip he would be doing something. “My father declared war, then?”

“No,” Starlight said. “He hasn’t. We haven’t had any formal contact with him since the withdrawal from New Scythia.”

“Whatever’s happening, my father would not invade without a formal declaration of war. Unity is displeased when your enemy does not receive an honest chance to defend himself. Strength should triumph, not trickery.”

“Tell the warships that,” Starlight muttered, though there was something of her old humor in her voice when she said it. “Just come with me, Velar. Maybe you’ll be helpful like before. I’m sure Celestia would be grateful for your advice.”

“I won’t betray Accipio,” he said, walking slowly towards her. Slow enough that the guards wouldn’t think he was attacking her. He had nothing with him, no possessions of his own. It wasn’t as though he could read a book alone here in the dark. Had to be able to read to do that. “But I don’t think this is a war. If I had to guess, I’d say one of the great houses has decided to force both of us into the conflict they really wanted. My guess is the warships came from just one city, and they’ll be flying just one flag.”

But Starlight didn’t confirm his suspicions until they had made their way out of the hospital and into a waiting chariot—a chariot with metal walls and no horses to drive it. Yet it started to rumble forward up the slope towards the castle anyway.

Velar wanted to ask exactly what was going on, maybe have Starlight explain the strange machine to him—but he didn’t get the chance.

“It didn’t start with the warships,” she said. “Not the ones heading for Canterlot right now. It started yesterday, when one of your ships attacked three of ours.”

“Which ship?” Velar asked, settling into the seat across from Starlight. Any desire to tease her about the date he was still waiting for faded away in the seriousness of her accusations. “Do you know its name? I know most ships in my father’s navy.”

“The Lapwing,” Starlight replied, not even hesitating to consider. She seemed on the edge of panic every minute, rocking slowly back and forth. She looked like she needed a hug. “It was destroyed. Along with the Wayfarer. Both went down with all hooves, we think. And the Flash Magnus and Sister of Balance got away. Stars only know where they went, but we’re pretty sure ponies weren’t the ones commanding them when they flew off. They could’ve reached three ports by now, even if they were reduced to flying with sails.”

“The Lapwing…” Velar repeated. “That was Hookbeak’s sloop. Used to carry… ten eighteen-pound guns, I think. But we left those behind in Accipio. So far as I know, she was completely unarmed. Like most of the ships in my father’s navy. There’s been talk of taking them apart to make cheap houses, but…” He trailed off. Starlight wasn’t interested in the supply side of Griffon naval logistics.

“Was Hookbeak a fierce warrior?” Starlight asked, urgent. “We’re trying to figure out why that ship was trying to run the blockade in the first place. But they were on their way from Griffonstone, whatever the reason.”

“You told me there were birds who wouldn’t leave holed up in there,” Velar said. “Maybe they were the ride. If my father told you he was going to do something, then he was. If that meant obeying a treaty, then he’d obey the treaty. That’s the way house Virtue works.”

Starlight Glimmer stared down at her hooves for a long time, silent. Outside the carriage, they were pulling through the gates of Canterlot Castle. The carriage window gave him an ample view of the near-mythical Equestrian capital. This was the city that no invading army had ever held. Several had walked through these streets over the years, but none of them could keep them.

Now here he was, being led inside almost like an honored guest. “Let’s try and figure this out,” Velar said, resting one wing gently on Starlight’s shoulder for a moment. She straightened, staring down at it, but didn’t push him away.

“O-okay.”

“So, there was a battle between pony ships and a griffon ship. Two ships go down, and the survivors end up aboard a couple of pony ships, you don’t know where they went.”

“Not yet.” Starlight winced. “We sent a warship to track them down. They were the ones who told us about the battle. They brought pictures as well, but there won’t be any forensic experts to go over them if Canterlot burns to the ground.”

“You know the warships are coming,” Velar said, ignoring the remark. “Sightings? Our engines could outpace a pony in flight. Why aren’t we under attack already?”

“Because…” Starlight looked like she didn’t want to say. Then she said anyway. “Because the messages came by telegraph. Even small towns have their own stations by now. It was obvious from their direction where they were headed. There isn’t anything else of strategic value this way.”

“It’s… a strategy we’ve been thinking about for a long time,” Velar admitted. He could see Starlight pull away as he said it, eyes widening. He extended his claws flat in a pacifying gesture. “Not since the treaty! Before that! Equestria was the one country we could never conquer. We’ve tried… Lots of invasions never succeeded. Talking about how it might actually succeed is like… a common conversation in wine houses. Everyone likes to armchair general, you know.”

“I don’t,” Starlight said. She still looked shaken by the news. “But tell me anyway. What are they doing?”

Their carriage seemed to be heading straight for a wall—at least until the wall opened. There was a ramp under there, with pony soldiers assembled inside. Electric lights glowed an even amber inside, directing them towards parts unknown.

“Trying to fix the mistakes with all the previous invasions,” Velar said. “I’ll… spare all the explanation and cut right to the point. It doesn’t matter if we’re better supplied, if we’re better fighters, or if we’re better armed. In the end every war with Equestria has been lost because you have Alicorns and we don’t. The Old Magic can work well enough against your unicorns when we’re prepared to pay with blood, but there’s not enough blood in the whole world to do what your Alicorns can do. There’s some speculation that even if we won so long as Celestia was alive she might just cook the planet out of spite. Those who… believe she actually does anything with the sun, I mean.”

They settled to a stop alongside many similar carriages. He got a few seconds to appreciate the mechanism on one of them—a delicate framework of brass and spinning gears—before the doors opened and guards were ushering them out.

“They’re not going for Canterlot,” Starlight said. “They’re trying to kill the princesses.”

He nodded, following her past a checkpoint of more armored pony guards, then into a long, twisting stairwell. He barely even watched the guards shepherding them in. “That’s how you make the war go better this time. Your generals and ships and armies can all be replaced, but Alicorns not so much. Though… I guess you have a few more now. I haven’t had a conversation like this since before anyone in Accipio knew that. I don’t know what the old strategies planned for them.”

Somewhere high above, Velar heard the first explosion.

PreviousChapters Next