• Published 20th Mar 2017
  • 2,607 Views, 219 Comments

Heavy Rock - CoffeeMinion



Limestone Pie and Flash Sentry find unexpected love and unimaginable loudness as they navigate a path through social anxiety, heavy guitars, and the occasional love triangle.

  • ...
5
 219
 2,607

Tracks 12 & 13: My Road / Bring Heavy Rock To The Land

Limestone’s days passed in a blur of work at the quarry, practicing with Pinkie in the basement, and seeing Flash whenever possible. She hadn’t felt so busy in years. But as days turned to weeks and eventually became a month or more, she also found herself brooding less over the minor setbacks in her day-to-day life than she could remember in a long time, if only because she didn’t have time enough to focus on them.

Somehow things only got busier when Flash booked them a spot in an amateur music night at the club where they had practiced. Limestone felt good about having a concrete date and a couple more weeks to work on the one complex bass line Flash had given her, but the date still came roaring up on them faster than she could prepare. In fact, their final practice session on the night before the show eventually descended into a debacle of frustration and thrown burritos, followed by some shamefaced mopping of the club.

Very late that same night, Flash and Limestone talked briefly over the phone, expressing their regrets for how things had gone and looking forward to seeing each other at the show.


On the morning of the show, Limestone stood alone on the back porch of her house, holding a steaming mug of coffee and staring down the sunlit road to the quarry. She startled as she heard the back door open, and she turned, raising her eyebrows with surprise at who approached her.

“Marble?”

Her youngest sister shrunk back at the attention, as if trying to hide behind her own coffee mug. She was dressed in the same sort of shapeless potato-sack outfit as usual, and Limestone couldn’t help but think that she’d look like some kind of homeless waif if it wasn’t for the mug and her new pair of tennis shoes.

Limestone frowned. “Well, are you gonna say something, or are you just here to invade my private thinking time?”

Marble seemed to give this a great deal of consideration.

“Ugh. What is it? Can’t you see I’ve got a lot to think about here? Everything’s changing for me. I’m hanging out more with Pinkie and Maud so we can get the songs down, I’m letting Dad cover more shifts so I can practice bass…” She took a swig from her mug, savoring its bitterness. “I’ve even got to decide if I’m going to enroll in community college in the Spring, or next Summer, or Fall. And the show’s tonight! So I’m busy, Marble. Do you mind?”

The girl cracked a tiny, timid smile.

“What? What’s that supposed to mean? Why can’t you just say something for once?!”

“I’m proud,” Marble whispered.

Limestone stopped. “You’re… proud of me?”

Marble nodded, and her smile grew deeper. “Mmm-hmm.”

Limestone shook her head. “So it doesn’t matter that I’m a walking train wreck half the time, and I have no idea what I’m doing with my life? I mean, where are Flash and I going after this show?”

Marble looked down at her coffee and took a small sip.

“Or maybe I do know,” Limestone said. “Or I can guess. He’s a good guy on the edge of some big changes in his life. I guess I’m really not so different. I don’t know if those changes are going to keep us together or split us apart. We’re both still trying to make up our minds about what we’re doing.”

“Mmm-hmm.”

Limestone eyed her sister. “Well, what about you? Maud’s got her college thing, and Pinkie’s Pinkie, and maybe I’m getting my act together, but where are you going?”

Marble shuffled a couple of steps closer. Then: “Watching.”

“Marble, I don’t want to scare you off, but you’ve gotta do more than just watch at some point in your life. I mean, so what if you’re not as determined as Maud is, or as Pinkie as Pinkie is? You have to do something if you want something different to happen. You…”

Limestone trailed off. Marble’s smile deepened.

“You’re watching me,” Limestone said quietly. “Because I never have been like Maud or Pinkie. Because I went through homeschool too, and I didn’t really do anything but hide myself away from the world once it was over.” She raised her eyebrows. “And maybe you and me are a little more alike than we’d like to admit.”

“Mmm-hmm.”

Limestone took another bitter swig of coffee. “Well I guess I’d better make good with this boy, then. And we’d better play a decent show!” She hesitated. “Do you want to come tonight? I mean, do you even like the sort of stuff we play?”

Marble gave her a cautious smile and a nod. “You guys rock,” she whispered.


On the night of the show, Limestone and Pinkie drove together to the club. Pinkie’s drum kit took up most of her back seat, so Maud offered to drive everyone else.

The two of them parked on the street outside the club, hauled Pinkie’s kit up to the back entrance, and knocked. Mr. Stripes let them in and eyed the girls as they lugged the heavy instruments, but declined to offer help.

On their way through the backstage area, they passed a few musicians who Pinkie seemed to know: one girl tuning a good-sized cello; a couple girls bickering next to a full-sized keyboard on a stand; and even one girl with large, poofy hair, who seemed to be practicing guttural growls to whatever she was listening to on her earbuds.

Eventually they found Flash tuning his guitar while sitting on an amp at the edge of the stage, which had been curtained-off by heavy black drapes hanging from a track near the ceiling.

He jumped up and set his guitar down. “Oh, hey guys, do you need a hand?”

“Not now,” Limestone grumbled, half-dropping Pinkie’s kick-drum to the floor.

“Hey! Watch it, sister!” Pinkie shouted. “That’s a genuine Pasty!

Flash gave them a plaintive frown. “I’m sorry; I didn’t hear you guys come in.”

Limestone pointed at his amp. “Maybe ‘if it’s too loud, you’re too old?’”

The two of them locked eyes for a long, tense moment, before both of them chuckled and broke into grins.

“That was lame,” Flash said.

“It’s all I’ve got right now.” She looked over at the curtains. “How many people do we have out there?”

Flash pointed his thumb toward them. “Check it out if you want. It’s not a bad turnout for an amateur music night, and it’ll only get bigger; it’s still a half-hour till they kick things off.”

Limestone walked over and poked her head out between the curtains. She frowned as the first thing she noticed was her family sitting front-and-center near the stage. Maud and her Dad gave brief nods, Marble gave a timid wave, and her Mom gave a weary look that was consistent with Pinkie having coerced her into coming. But Limestone looked past them and estimated that the place was about half-full; mostly with a mix of CHS students and kids from the community college.

“I guess we’d better not screw this up,” Limestone muttered.

“We could,” Flash said, directly behind her. Limestone jumped, and pulled her head back behind the curtain. “Sorry,” Flash said. “I just mean… this is for fun, right? No pressure if it doesn’t go well. It doesn’t say anything bad about you. Or about us.”

Limestone frowned. “I need to do this. I don’t care if you fret half your notes wrong, or if Pinkie screws up the time; I need to play my best tonight.”

He smiled, and took her hand. “I know. I can’t tell you that I totally understand, but I know.”

She squeezed his hand. “Thank you. For making this happen, and for calling me out when I go off half-cocked about dumb stuff. I…” She looked away. “At some point we should really figure out what’s coming next for us.”

“I know.” He let go of her hand. “I mean, I don’t know. I guess it’s what we want to make of it. But don’t give up on it until we find something we can’t deal with together. I’m not.”

Limestone grinned. “You sound pretty serious there, Charlie.”

He rolled his eyes. “One of these days, I’ve gotta get you to stop calling me that.”

“That one might cost you.” She followed-up her words with a wink.

Flash smiled. “You gonna tell me what it costs?”

“I will if we can pull this off tonight.”

“All right then, Limestone Pie; we have a deal.”

They shook on it, and smiled, and each held on for longer than a business handshake would require.


The first act to go up on the stage was the poofy-haired girl, who bellowed, groaned, and shrieked along to a couple of tracks she put on over the club’s sound system. Watching from off to the side of the stage, Limestone couldn’t deny that the girl had killer stage presence and seemed to know what she was doing, but it was like she simply couldn’t sing, and was doing everything she possibly could to draw attention from that fact. Worse, Limestone watched as her family ended up covering their ears and looking at each other with disapproval. All except Maud, who sat impassive as always.

The girl with the cello went up next, and even though Limestone found her music boring, she felt much more comfortable watching her family’s reactions to that one. Her mom even started bobbing her head in time to the music.

After several minutes of the cellist’s short set, Limestone felt a hand on her arm. She turned, seeing Flash leaning close to her and looking serious. “We’re next,” he whispered.

Limestone felt a surge of adrenaline and nervous energy. She gave Flash a smile and a nod, then put her hands on the black bass slung around her neck.

“Limestone, even if this doesn’t go well, I…”

Maybe it was the nerves that got the better of her, or maybe it was the anticipation of going out and playing in front of her family that emboldened her—but either way, Limestone very quickly reached up with both hands, gripped the back of Flash’s head, and pulled him down into a brief kiss. And the watchword here was brief, because no sooner did it happen then they heard the crowd begin to applaud, and Mr. Stripes was upon them, separating them and shooing them out toward the stage.

Limestone and Flash staggered out into the crowd’s sight, blushing and looking at each other with wide-eyed uncertainty. They seemed to notice the crowd only as an afterthought, and it took several seconds of standing there motionless for Limestone to realize her dad had stood up and was applauding them loudly.

Oh Dad, if only you knew, she thought to herself.

Pinkie bounced out from backstage, gave them a big wink and a grin, then headed over to her drum kit. She started a drumroll…

...and that was the thing that brought Flash and Limestone’s concentration back. They smiled at each other briefly before Flash headed over to his place at the other side of the stage. That left Limestone to step up to the microphone at the front of the stage, gripping her bass hard.

Pinkie ended the drumroll with a cymbal crash. Limestone licked her lips, then thumbed her bass’ volume knob all the way up.

“Tell them our names!” Pinkie stage-whispered from the drum throne.

“I’m Limestone,” she said into the mic, savoring the way it made her voice boom through the club. “He’s Flash. She’s Pinkie.” She paused, giving the room a look that fit somewhere between a smile and a snarl. “And we’re here to rock!

Flash opened with a divebomb that gave Limestone goosebumps; Pinkie came in with a strong midtempo beat; and Limestone hammered out a series of deep notes that made the whole building shake. Adrenaline coursed through her veins as she sucked in a deep lungful of breath and started bellowing the song’s lyrics, some of which still would’ve made her blush if she hadn’t been overwhelmed by the deafening sound and thunderous vibration of their music.

She and Flash locked eyes, and he moved closer to her, bobbing back and forth while giving her an overly-theatrical “mean-rock” grimace. Limestone smiled as much as she dared while fighting to make sure her aching fingers kept in time with Pinkie’s relentless beat.

They blazed into their second song without a break. It was even faster than the first, and its staccato riffs taxed Limestone’s weary arms. She was sweating bullets by the time it soared into the homestretch with a short, frenetic solo by Flash, and she resigned herself to plucking out a couple of recurring notes while struggling to catch her breath as she let Flash and Pinkie finish up the heavy lifting.

They ended with a bang, and found themselves standing in silence, watching the quiet audience’s stunned faces.

Then the whole place lit up with cheers and clapping. People jumped to their feet, pumped their arms, and roared at them for more. Limestone watched in shock as her family joined those standing. Maud grinned, Dad whistled and cheered, Mom gave a polite clap, and Marble…

Well, Marble whooped and hollered louder than anyone, throwing her hands up in the air and clapping, and joining the chorus screaming for more.

Limestone turned to Flash and found him smiling wide. “Not done yet,” he said over the din of the room. “Still got one song, right?”

“Yeah, but first, one thing.” She gave him a deep smile. “That kiss really sucked.”

Flash laughed. “Oh yeah. Totally.”

“Wanna try again?”

He winked at her. “Practice makes perfect, right?”

“Shut up, Charlie,” she said, letting her bass hang low across her chest, and pulling him in for a longer, warmer, and much more electric kiss than their brief travesty before. The feeling it gave Limestone was nothing like the bone-shaking sensation of her jackhammer or bass, but nonetheless it stirred something within her that she found just as compelling.

For their part, the crowd roared even louder at the sight.

“Hey! We’re trying to play a show here!” Pinkie shouted, jarring them back to attention.

Flash looked sheepish, and put his hands back on his guitar. “She’s right, you know,” he said with a smile.

Limestone smiled as she rolled rolled her eyes. “Always so serious with you guys.” She turned back to the crowd. “All right, we’ve got one more in us. Are you ready?”

They shouted that they were in no uncertain terms. Marble in particular seemed ready to come tear it from them if they would not give it willingly.

“Pinkie… hit it!

And she did, kickstarting their sonic declaration of life, of hope—of a romance that defied all expectations.

For once again, as one, Limestone and Flash rocked.

Author's Note:

At last we come to the song(s) that inspired this. It has just as much slow burning buildup as the story does, but I encourage you to check it out; IMO it's the perfect coda to the story itself. Just be sure to crank the volume at 2:40!

Also, the ever-talented Bluegrass Brooke has created something for your viewing pleasure in hand-drawn and digital versions! :heart: