• Published 22nd Apr 2017
  • 454 Views, 11 Comments

Eleven Little Ponies - Forefront1



After Equestria was left without the monarchs or the elements of harmony, an elite assassin agency was created in the crystal empire to protect the citizens of Equestria. Will a traitorous mole ruin the organization?

  • ...
2
 11
 454

Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Location: Appleoosa, Equestria
Time: 11:59
Target: Equestria Defector
Agent: Sheriff Braeburn

The little town of Appleoosa was quiet on this sunny day. The wind kicked up dust and dirt as it travelled across the desert. The main street was void of all life, with only a few stray tumbleweeds to roll across the road. The sun beat down on this cloudless day with a heat that would most city folk inside.

Braeburn stood inside his sheriff’s office, staring out across the town. Looking down at his pocket watch, he saw that it was a minute before high noon. His most recent mission from the core had him tracking down an Equestrian citizen turned spy who had been last seen in Appleoosa. It was unknown who they were working for, but it wouldn’t matter once they were dead. Braeburn had been searching for them for nearly a week and almost gave up hope. Luckily, a mysterious note appeared on his desk the night before, stating that the spy was planning to leave the next day and would give him one shot to catch them at high noon.

Looking back down at his watch again, braeburn counted down the final seconds to noon.

5...4...3...2...1...0.

At that moment the town’s clock tower began to chime, signalling the new hour.

Showtime. Braeburn thought to himself as he walked out into the street.
The clock chimed once more, echoing through the town creating a somewhat eerie scene. As Braeburn stood at the end of the road in front of his building, a cloaked figure walked around the corner at the other side of the road. Braeburn glared at the mysterious figure as he reached back for his pistol.

“Why the heads up partner?” Braeburn asked, cautiously inching forward.

“I figured I’d have myself a good ol’ fashioned showdown before fleeing Equestria.” The figure chuckled in a deep raspy voice.

“Who ya working for?” Braeburn inquired.

“That don’t matter none.” The stallion quipped. “I heard you got bigger problems anyways.”

“How did you know about that?” Braeburn asked, slowly pulling his gun out of his holster.

“Are ya kiddin’, everyone on the outside knows about the traitor. We just don’t know who it is.” The stallion replied with a laugh.

“Too bad.” Braeburn said, lining up a shot. “I could’ve used the info.”

As Braeburn drew his weapon a shot rang out from the stallion’s gun. At first, Braeburn thought that he’d been shot, but realized that he wasn’t the target when he looked to his left.

The front wheel of a wagon full of barrels had been blasted by Braeburn’s opponent and creaked under the weight of the cart. By the time Braeburn could react, the cart toppled over and he was knocked to the ground by the bunch of barrels. As he sat, dazed from the fall, Braeburn heard his adversary making his escape.

“Better luck next time partner! Hahaha!” The stallion shouted running off into the distance.

Braeburn struggled to get his gun for a parting shot but was stuck underneath the barrels. Discouraged, his head flopped back onto the ground as he let out a disgruntled sigh.

=====(Theme music!!!!)=====

Location: Appleoosa, Equestria
Time: 14:12

Later that same day, a discouraged Braeburn sat alone at a table in the town saloon. Due to the earlier engagement, the place was nearly empty as most ponies wanted to be safe in their houses. There were a few stallions making small talk with the bartender near the front of the building, and a couple talking in hushed tones at the back. An elderly pony played a slow song on the piano, offering a bit of ambient music.

Drowning out his sorrows, Braeburn took another swig of cider before dropping his head to the table. After a few moments of wallowing he heard the front door to the saloon swing open and a pair of ponies make their way to the table right behind him.

“Psst, Braeburn,” The pony behind him whispered. “It’s me, Bon Bon.” Agent Sweetie Drops whispered.

“And me too!” Agent Lyre Strings said loudly.

“SHHH! Quiet.” Sweetie Drops said in aggravation. “I got your call. What’s up?” She asked Braeburn.

“Oh Bon Bon, I dun messed up again.” Braeburn whined.

“What happened?”

“I was on assignment.” Braeburn said, stealthily passing her his mission file. “I was sent to get that there scoundrel, but he got the best of me and ran out of town.” He said, continuing to bang his head on the table.

“Why didn’t you go after him, you have jurisdiction outside of Appleloosa?” Sweetie Drops asked, looking over his file.

“What’s the point? I’ve failed every mission that I’ve been given.” Braeburn said throwing his hooves up in the air. The only reason I’m still in the Core is because you bail me out every time.” Braeburn said, turning to his friend.

“I only do it because I care.” Sweetie Drops said, placing the file on the table. “Besides, you’ll complete one someday.” She said, placing a hoof on Braeburn’s shoulder.

“This mission you were on,” Lyre Strings began to say, picking up the file. “How can we be sure that it’s real?”

“The target wasn’t one of us.” Braeburn said reassuringly. “Besides, why would the killer trust me to kill anyone?”

“How can we be sure you’re not the killer?” Lyre Strings said, staring at Braeburn.

“You think I could have come up with the plan to kill Flash?” Braeburn asked.

“Plus, if he was the killer, he wouldn’t be able to kill the last agent anyways.” Sweetie Drops added.

Braeburn responded with a slightly upset look.

“Sorry.” Sweetie Drops said, realizing her mistake.

“It’s alright.” Braeburn said, standing up from his chair. “But it’s true, I’m not the killer. Now, if you two would excuse me, I have to go report my failure to the Core...again.”

Downing what was left of his cider, Braeburn made his way out of the saloon. Leaving Agents Sweetie Drops and Lyre Strings alone.

“Dang it. I thought we were making progress.” Sweetie Drops said, closing the mission folder.

“It’s ok. C’mon, let’s go see if anypony else knows anything.” Lyre Strings said skipping out of the saloon.

Sweetie Drops rolled her eyes and begrudgingly followed behind.

==========

Location: Ponyville, Equestria
Time: 15:12

It was the middle of the afternoon and in Ponyville and the sun was still high in the sky. Fillies and colts ran through the town cheering and laughing, playing games outside. Couples took long walks through the park enjoying the wonderful weather together. At Sugarcube corner, families gathered to have an afternoon snack of ice cream, cookies, or other such pastries. Yet, unbeknownst to most civilians, a meeting of utmost importance was happening in a corner of the establishment.

“Gosh, this lemon tart muffin is amazing!” Ditzy Doo exclaimed, scarfing down another bite. “Are you sure you three don’t want any?” She asked the group of younger mares seated across from her.

“N-no I think we’re good.” Crusader Bloom responded awkwardly, looking over at her partners.

“Oh fine, more for me!” Ditzy Doo said with a grin, picking up another muffin. “So, what did you three want to talk to me about?” She asked the trio.

The three ponies subtly looked around them to see if they were alone. Crusader Sweetie motioned for Ditzy to come closer.

“We want to know if you have any information on the traitor.” She whispered.

“Information?” Ditzy repeated to no one in particular.

“Careful Ditzy, we need to know if we can trust these agents.” A voice said from her earpiece.

“I know Operator Wing, but what if they can help us?” Ditzy said to her assistant.

“That isn’t worth sacrificing confidential information, or worse yourself.” Glass Wing responded.

“Fine” Ditzy said with a chuckle, “I’ll be careful.”

“Who are you talking to?” Crusader Scoots interjected.

“Nobody.” Ditzy said, turning off her communicator’s microphone. “So, information…”

The group sat there for a moment as Ditzy pondered over the situation in her head. After a while she continued.

“All I know is that the traitor has to be one of the core members. They were able to infiltrate classified documents and replace them with forgeries. They were then able to convince two different agents to be on the same mission at the same time. One as quarry, and one as killer. My guess is that after it gets down to the final two representatives, the traitor will either flee the Pony Core, leaving the other to take the fall, or take care of them themselves.”

“Do you know of anyone who got a mission lately?” Sweetie asked Ditzy.

“If I remember, Sheriff Braeburn was hoping to complete his latest mission today.” Ditzy started.

“Pfft, as if.” Scoots muttered under her breath.

Ditzy looked at her with a bit of disappointment before continuing.

“Be nice, he is trying his best.” She pleaded. “Anyways, along with Braeburn, I believe Pantaloni is on assignment in Las Pegasus at the moment. That’s the only one’s I can think of.”

“Thanks for the heads up.” Crusader Bloom said standing up from the table. “I say we all keep a sharp eye and note anyone else going out on assignment. If there are any agent casualties, we need to know where and by whom.”

With that the Crusaders left with a small salute to Ditzy who waved back cheerfully. She turned on her communicator’s microphone before scarfing down more muffin.

“Are you sure you know what you are doing?” Glass Wing asked nervously.

“Rookie if there’s one thing you need to know about me...” Ditzy said confidently as she stood up and gathered her things. “...It’s that I never know what I’m doing.”

With that, she donned a pair of sunglasses, and headed out the door.

==========

Location: The Pony Core Headquarters
Time: 17:35

Sheriff Braeburn sighed as he slumped down in his seat at the Core table. It had been a long day and another failed mission for him. He was so sick and tired of coming back to the core a failure leaving others to pick up the slack. While he appreciated the help that Agent Sweetie Drops, Ditzy, and a few other agents had given him over the years, he wished he could complete his missions all on his own. At a time like this, he just wanted someone to talk to who would sympathize with him and give him words of encouragement.

“Tis I The Great and Powerful Trixie!”

Clearly it was not that time.

Trixie walked into the room as she walked into any room, with style and flair, hoping to impress anypony who might see her walk in. However, rather than see a crowd of people cheering her on, she saw a sad and lonely Sheriff Braeburn who was lying face down on the Pony Core Table.

“Cheer up friend! For today is your lucky day!” Trixie said triumphantly, tossing a hooful of confetti onto Braeburn.

“Could ya please...jus…not now.” Sheriff Braeburn sighed.

“Alright.” Trixie said in aggravation, sitting down next to Braeburn. “What is it this time?”

“Pony Core stuff, ya wouldn’t understand.” Braeburn said sadly without looking up from the table.

“Oh please, I’ve eavesdrop- I mean, listened in on enough Core meetings to practically be on the team.” Trixie said putting an arm around the depressed stallion.

“Okay, well, first off no.” Braeburn said lifting his head and raising an eyebrow at Trixie.

“Second off, just tell you most loyal friend Trixie what is wrong.” Trixie said, trying to look as innocent and kind as she could.

Braeburn was about to tell her off again but sank low in defeat when he realized just how futile that effort would be.

“Ah failed another mission Trixie.” He said, hanging his head once again. “I just want to be a respected member of the Core, but I can’t even do ma job right. And now there’s a mole in our respected organization! Ah just feel like Ah couldn’t help if Ah wanted to.”

Trixie watched as Braeburn lightly banged his head on the table below. She was about to respond before something caught her eye lying on the other end of the table.

“Is that the mission briefing over there?” She asked, motioning to a manila folder lying by itself.

Braeburn lifted his head and saw what she was talking about.

“No, Ah gave my file to Lyre Strings and Sweetie Drops.” He said as he stood up, and began walking to the folder.

It was a mission folder, but not one that Sheriff Braeburn had seen before. Flipping it open he saw the details of the mission and the requested target. Upon searching for the name of the organization and operative assigned, he discovered that its blank.

“Huh.” Braeburn said, examining more of the file.

“Wait!” Trixie exclaimed reading the mission as well. “What if this is fate giving you another chance?”

Braeburn simply looked at her with a blank and confused expression.

“Think about it Sheriff. You failed all your past missions. Then, just as you lose hope, this mission gets left here unassigned! It’s your chance.” Trixie said excitedly hopping up and down.

Thinking over the situation for a moment, Braeburn’s face began to light up.

“You’re right! This is another chance!” He said, quickly gathering his things.

“I have to get goin’, I gotta be halfway across Equestria in just a few hours!” He said, running out the door. “Oh and Trixie.” Braeburn said, poking his head back into the Pony Core mission room. “Thanks.”

As Braeburn left in a rush, Trixie let out a confident smile, if Braeburn was successful, she could say that she helped a member of the Core complete their mission. Then they would have to let her in. She then trotted off to see if the Colonel was in the building. If there was anyone she would enjoy bragging to, it would be him.

==========

Location: Las Pegasus, Equestria
Time: 20:47
Target: Mob Boss of the Diamond Dog Gang
Agent: Fantasia Pantaloni

Las Pegasus was lively as always as Pantaloni strutted into one of the finest casinos in Equestria. As a high class individual he would have no issue blending in with the normal crowd. The finest clothes, the most expensive accessories, and the confident attitude to match, he was totally unsuspected. He was especially haughty tonight as he felt this was what being in the business of espionage was all about. Finding a target and infiltrating beyond their protection, eliminating the threat, and getting out unseen all while ordering martinis and other cocktail foods. Fancy Pants never felt more at home.

Stepping into Flim and Flam’s casino, Pantaloni saw that the place was just as busy as ever. He often would stop by after one of his assignments to make a quick bit or simply relax with like minded peers. However, this time was no time for small talk. His mission debrief said that there was a well known mob boss trying to rig the games at the casino in order to rob them blind. Pantaloni had been sent there to find him and take him down before he made his escape.

Pantaloni figured the best course of action would be to scout out the many table and games to see which ponies had been getting extra “lucky” that evening. Ordering a few drinks, Pantaloni looked out over the sea of faces to try and pinpoint a suspect. Time went on and, after a few hours, Pantaloni thought he saw someone who met the few descriptions given to him in the mission folder, and who had also been making quite the earnings that night.

The stallion was a shorter, stocker fellow. He was dressed in a dark blue suit and had a black main slicked back over his orange fur. Pantaloni had noticed that he had been drifting from table to table, only staying a few rounds to win a bit before moving on. Most ponies would never notice it, but Fancy Pants had a keen eye for this sort of thing. Getting up from his table, Panataloni took off his tie clip that he got from the Pony Core. To many, it was a simple clip when, in actuality, held a spring loaded blade that could be activated with a flick of the hoof. Putting the clip in his left pocket, just in reach, he headed over to the table.

Walking up to the table, Pantaloni saw it was a blackjack table and his target had already amassed more chips in the time it took for Pantaloni to walk over. Trying to keep his cover, Pantaloni stood on the left side of the suspect, waiting for his moment to strike. Luckily for him, the moment came soon when the players revealed their hands and the stallion once again won.

“I believe that I will be taking those chips!” The stallion exclaimed, laughing heartily to himself.

“Been a good night for you I presume.” Panaloni said nonchalantly as he watched his
quarry place more chips on his already large pile.

“You know it, friend.” The stallion said with a chuckle.

“Well, I hope you continue to get lucky.” Pantaloni said, holding out his hoof for a shake.

The stallion reciprocated and fell right into Pantaloni’s trap. In an instant, Pantaloni pulled the stallion in closer to him. In one motion, he grabbed the clip knife and drew the blade. Just as he was about to assassinate the mob boss, a gunshot rang out.

The room fell silent and the mob boss looked in horror at Pantaloni. Pantaloni felt his body grow colder and more weak. He dropped his knife to the ground as his knees felt weak. Kneeling on the ground he saw blood beginning to pool on the floor below him.

==========

Location: Las Pegasus, Equestria
Time: 23:13
Target: Murder Attempt Suspect
Agent: Sheriff Braeburn

The patrons of the casino began to panic as the target dropped to the ground. Holding his trusty pistol out, Braeburn stared in disbelief. From across the casino, he saw his quarry’s legs go weak as they fell to the floor.

“Ah...Ah did it.” Braeburn whispered to himself.

As ponies ran from the establishment, Braeburn pushed his way through the crowd to get to his target. He had never been more excited on a mission. He had done it! He finally killed his target! His heart was pounding as he finally go to the victim.

At this point the casino was nearly cleared out, ponies were still scrambling to safety but in the immediate location, it was only him and his quarry. Braeburn saw that the suspect was nicely dressed and lying facedown on the ground. Seeing the knife in his hand, Braeburn knew he had the right guy. With a cocky smile, he slowly flipped the body over to be eye to eye with his quarry. As he flipped the stallion over, his joy quickly turned to horror.

As he flipped his target over he saw his colleague and friend Fancy Pants barely hanging on to life. Unable to process the situation, Braeburn dropped Fancy to the floor as he backed away in horror. Fancy Pants weakly raised his hoof towards his assaulter, as if to ask for help. A moment later, he fell limp.

“What have ah done?” Braeburn asked, panicking over the death of Pantaloni.

Suddenly, Braeburn heard sirens and shouting coming from outside the Casino. Knowing that his arrest would compromise the Pony Core, he fled the scene, giving one last look at the unconscious body of Fantasia Pantaloni, lying in a pool of blood on the floor of the casino.

Comments ( 2 )

I am an avid reader and writer on Fimfiction. So much so, that I simply do not have the time to be writing a long biography.

If you're so pressed for time, you could have left it blank.:pinkiehappy:

So....when's the next chapter?

Login or register to comment