• Published 22nd Apr 2017
  • 449 Views, 11 Comments

Eleven Little Ponies - Forefront1



After Equestria was left without the monarchs or the elements of harmony, an elite assassin agency was created in the crystal empire to protect the citizens of Equestria. Will a traitorous mole ruin the organization?

  • ...
2
 11
 449

Chapter 1

Eleven Little Ponies

Chapter 1

Location: The Canterlot Mountains, Equestria
Time: 02:34
Target: YakYakistani Military Official
Agent: Sweetie Drops

The snow was whirling about at the top of the Canterlot Mountains, virtually blinding anyone unfortunate enough to be outside during this blizzard. The wind howled over the peaks, only causing those below to shiver more. Outside of a top secret YakYakistan base atop the mountain, three figures slowly trudged through the snow towards the two guards standing in front of the door. Two of them, one on either side of the middle figure, were giant burly yaks dragging a much smaller pony in between. The pony, head covered with a burlap sack, seemed to be unconscious, as it was not moving with any of its own power. The yaks also seemed to be carrying a leather saddle bag, presumably from their captive. When they finally reached the two guards at the door, they were waved in out of the cold.

The base was nearly silent, with only the occasional far off voice or clanging metal to disturb the peace. The three found themselves in a dimly lit hallway with multiple locked rooms on either side. Upon reaching one of the rooms, the door opened from the inside and the two yaks dragged the pony inside. Inside the room was a single chair and a table, the typical interrogation setup. There were another two yaks on either side of the table, patiently waiting for the prisoner. The two carrying the pony, tied it to the chair, placed her saddle bag in the corner of the room, and took their leave. The pony was still unconscious as its head slumped against the table with very little movement.

The room was quiet while the two guards watched their captive. After a few moments of waiting, the pony began to awaken. It slowly picked her head off of the table and tried to get a grasp at her surroundings. However, it was startled when the door was thrown open.

In walked a huge yak, easily bigger and stronger than the others. His horns were large and had sharper points than his allies and his coat was a much darker shade. He was visibly enraged, although the pony could only grasp that from his voice.

“GET UP!!!” The yak shouted.

The pony’s head shot back and darted back and forth, as if trying to throw the sack off. The yak continued to the other side of the table and began glaring at his captive before speaking again.

“Now tell us, how you find yak’s secret hideout!?” The yak shouted again.

The pony sat still for a moment before struggling a bit in the binds. As it could tell that escape was impossible, it motioned to each of the ropes and said in a deep voice.

“Untie me, and I’ll tell you.”

The large yak pondered this request for a moment before motioning to his friends to untie the pony. As the ropes fell to the floor the pony gently rubbed where the ropes had been tied. The pony then gently leaned in towards the big yak and motioned for him to come closer. Awaiting an answer, the yak listened to his prisoner. Once the two were a few inches away, the room was silent in anticipation.

Then, breaking the silence, the pony said in a rather feminine voice, “Sorry about this.”

The large yak looked rather confused for a moment before the pony headbutted him with all her strength. The yak reeled back in pain as he stumbled away from the table. The pony then balanced herself on the table with her front legs and brought her back legs up off the ground. She kicked the two guards square in the jaw with each leg. There were two loud cracks, as there were some broken bones and the two guards fell back and slammed each of their heads on the back wall. The larger yak, regaining composure got up off the ground to lunge at the pony. However, instead of a pony he was met with a chair to the face, as he too was knocked to the ground. The three yaks groaned quietly in pain, too shocked and injured to continue fighting. The pony, completely untouched, stood back on all fours and took off the burlap sack covering her head.

Once her head was uncovered, the pony’s pink and navy blue mane fell down by her sides which she took a moment to adjust. As she walked over to her saddlebag on the floor she spoke into a radio watch on her front right leg.

“Special Agent Sweetie Drops to headquarters. I’m in.” Sweetie Drops whispered as she gathered her things.

To her dismay her call was only met with static.

“Dang it! Too high up.” Sweetie Drops mumbled to herself.

Slowly creaking the door open, she scoped out her surroundings. The hallway was empty, and there was no sign of anyone heading her way. Before she ventured out, she turned to the lead yak, still writhing on the ground, and noticed that he had brought a combat knife with him. Sweetie quickly grabbed it and then snuck out into the rest of the base.

Since no other yak knew about her escape, the base was easy to sneak through. There was the occasional yak patrol switching posts, but nothing hiding behind a crate couldn’t solve. She knew the layout of the base from studying it prior to being caught, so she knew where to find her target. After a few more minutes of stealthing around, Sweetie Drops made it to the office of Captain Gruber, one of King Rutherford’s higher-ups.

Sweetie Drops quietly crept up to the door and put an ear to it to try and figure out what was going on. Inside she heard two yaks talking to one another, however she was unable to make out what they were saying. She decided that this was her best time to strike. Taking a deep breath, she knocked on the door and stepped to the side. On the other side, both yaks stopped talking and one opened the door.

Brandishing the knife, Sweetie jumped out from the side of the door and took out the yak who answered. The other yak went to grab her but she unlodged the knife from the first yak and sliced the other one across the chest. The knife worked better than she expected because both yaks went down immediately. Sweetie then saw her target in the room behind a desk and without hesitation threw the knife across the room, getting it stuck in the figure’s chest. The victim went down and began gasping for air due to his injury.

Sweetie took a few heavy breaths, before standing up straight again. As she walked over to her target she began to talk to him.

“So Captain Gruber, I bet you think you're so clever. Hiding out right behind Canterlot.” She said with a chuckle. “I thought we made it clear that we won’t let anyone mess with Equestria, let alone a small platoon of yaks. So if you could just let me know why you all are-”

“Bon Bon…” The figure said, from the floor.

At this point Sweetie Drops knew something was up. She recognized that voice, and it was definitely not her target. Running around the desk, Sweetie gasped as she realized her mistake. There, lying on the ground was not her target, but one of her allies.

“Flash Sentry?” Agent Drops said in horror.

Flash nodded weakly, before finally succumbing to his injury.

“This is not good.” Sweetie Drops said, staring wide eyed at what she had done.

=====(Cue theme music!!!)=====

Location: Ponyville, Equestria
Time: 11:47
Target: Breakfast
Agent: Ditzy Doo

It was an average day in Ponyville. All of the citizens were bustling around, greeting one another, doing their daily tasks. At this time in the day, no place in town was busier than Sugarcube corner. The entire town knew that the cakes made the best breakfast pastries around, and with the recent loss of their prized baker, ponies thought it best to help out anyway they could. Especially if that meant stuffing their faces with sweets.

This morning, a visitor from out of town strolled into Sugarcube corner knowing exactly what she wanted. She waited patiently as the line went down. The staff was hard at work, the two cake twins, still young, frantically keeping up with the orders while Mr. and Mrs. Cake prepared the food in the back; so the line moved quickly. After a few minutes of waiting the visitor finally reached the front of the line to place her morning.

“Good morning Ms. Hooves!” Pumpkin Cake said in a peppy tone. “What would you like this morning.”

The wall eyed pegasus gave a cheerful smile and then replied.

“Hello Pumpkin! I think today I’ll have a blueberry muffin and a chocolate muffin.”

“Miss Derpy,” Pumpkin’s brother chimed in. “We have a special on muffins today, buy two get one free!”

“Oh thank you! In that case two chocolate!” Derpy replied.

Pumpkin grabbed the three muffins from the display case, put them in a bag, and handed them to Derpy who took them happily. Handing the filly bits for the muffins including a generous tip, Derpy headed outside to a table.

She was not more than halfway finished with her first muffin before her radio watch began to buzz.

“Ditzy Doo, come in Ditzy Doo, do you copy?” said a masculine voice.

“Doctor, how many times do I have to tell you to just call me Derpy?” Derpy replied to the voice.

“I would Ditzy,” Her friend replied. “But you know the rules. TPC guidelines instruct that all radio communications use proper code names.” The stallion replied.

“Time Turner, since when have you followed the rules?” Derpy replied in a suggestive tone.

“That’s Doctor Whooves to you Derp- I mean Ditzy.” Doctor Whooves replied sharply.

“Whatever.” Ditzy said with a chuckle, continuing to munch on her breakfast. “So what’s up?”

“First, I called to remind you that you have an upcoming meeting with the core later today.” Dr. Whooves said with a exasperated sigh.

“Is it already the end of the month?” Ditzy asked curiously. “Time does fly.”

“Yes, so you have that coming up, and I also called to let you know that we finally found you a personal communications operator.” Doctor Whooves continued.

“Oh, goody. Are they on now?” Ditzy asked excitedly.

“No, he starts tomorrow.” Doctor Whooves replied. “He’s a bit of a rookie. Complete stranger as well.” He explained. “He’s finishing up training today. But don’t let that fool you, I hear he’s a dedicated worker.” Doctor Whooves said reassuringly.

“Well that’s good to hear. I look forward to working with him.” Ditzy replied, scarfing down the last of her muffins. “Well, I’d better get going.” She continued, standing up and looking towards the horizon. “The Crystal Empire is a long way away.”

==========

Location: The Crystal Empire, Equestria
Time: 16:24
The Pony Core Headquarters

In the center of the Crystal Empire castle a large group of ponies was gathered around a large circular table. They were quietly chatting amongst themselves and catching up since the last time they were all gathered. At one point, the main doors to the room were flung open and a very odd figure came marching into the room.
“Attention!” A tall draconequus in military uniform called out. “This meeting of the Pony Core will come to attention!”

With that, all of the chatter died down and all members turned their attention to their Colonel.

“First item of business: Roll Call.” Discord said, creating a clipboard and a set of reading glasses out of thin air.

“Ditzy Doo of the Cloudsdale Espionage Association.”

“Here!” Derpy replied, sticking a hoof in the air.

“Commander Spitfire and Captain Soarin from the The Wonderbolts Academy of Defense.” Discord continued to read.

“Yes Sir.” The two responded in unison with a salute.

“Talon Claw of the LGA.”

“That’s me.” Gilda replied, raising a few of her talons.

“Crusader Scoots, Crusader Sweetie, and Crusader Bloom: Cutie Mark Crusaders.”

“We’re here.” Apple Bloom replied, with her friends standing on either side of her.

“Sheriff Braeburn, head of the Appeloosa Law Enforcement.”

“Yeehaw!” He replied enthusiastically.

Discord went to read the next entry on the list but before he was able to a yellow stallion with brown hair ran over and whispered something into Discord’s ear.

With a roll of his eyes and a groan Discord continued and said, “And introducing… Miss Melody, Countess Coloratura, DJ-Pon3, and Weird ‘ol Sandwich. The Independent Musicians of Equestria.”

Suddenly, club music started playing and Vinyl Scratch, Octavia, Coloratura, and Cheese Sandwich came dancing into the room.

As the music stopped Discord muttered under his breath, “ugh, musicians.”

Gaining his composure, Discord continued.

“Fantasia Pantaloni, a member of the Canterlot Elite Society.”

“Present.” Fancy Pants said elegantly.

“Daring Do from the Everfree Forest Defense.”

“Here.” She said with a tip of her hat.

“And finally, Agent Sweetie Drops of the Ponville Assassins Agency.”

Bon Bon gave a sheepish nod before taking her seat.

As the rest of the group sat down, everyone gaze turned towards Sweetie Drops. She sunk lower in her chair as she could sense their judgemental glares staring her down.

“No good traitor.” Crusader Scoots said under her breath to the two of her friends.

Those nearby nodded in agreement before mingling with the other assassins.

“Hey, you four.” Sheriff Braeburn said, motioning to the four musicians. “Y’all did a darn good job when y’all came to Appleloosa. Mind givin’ a fan of yers some free merchandise?” He asked with a confident grin.

“Sorry, we don’t give out free merchandise, part of our policy.” Wierd ‘ol Sandwich said with a dismissive wave.

“Dang it.” Braeburn said, hitting the table with his hoof.

“We would make an exception for you of course Commander Spitfire.” Weird ‘ol Sandwich added with a big smile and a wink.

Spitfire simply rolled her eyes in response.

Suddenly, trumpets began to play as the group looked over and saw a quartet of four Discords playing and one Discord with a scroll and monocle.

“Hear ye! Hear ye! Please welcome, as always, the leader of The Pony Core, The Chief!” The Colonel said with a bow.

As the two main doors opened, Shining Armor made his grand entrance wearing his suit of armor as usual. He carried with him a simple manila folder with a few files sticking out the sides. Everyone in the room stood at attention and watched as their leader took his place on his throne.

“At ease.” The Chief said, as everyone took their seats again.

“Now, onto our first order of-” The Chief began.

“Wait! Don’t forget me!” Shouted a voice from outside the room.

Everyone at once turned their attention to the door and groaned simultaneously.

“Ugh, not her again.” The Chief grumbled under his breath.

At that moment the doors flung open and there was a puff of smoke concealing the pony on the other side.

“You didn’t think that you could forget me did you?” The voice exclaimed from beyond the smoke.

Just then, Trixie ran through the smoke and struck a triumphant pose for everyone.

“It is I. The Great and Powerful Trixie!” She said with a big grin on her face.

The room replied with blank stares silence.

“For the last time,” The Chief said, hitting his head with his hoof. “You are not a member of The Pony Core.”

“I am too!” Trixie shouted in reply, sliding over a chair from the side of the room. “If I wasn’t then why did nobody stop me on my way in here?”

“That is because this is your 15th time breaking into one of our meetings, the guards gave up after 12.” The Chief said with a sigh.

“They did seem a bit grumpy when I got here.” Trixie replied.

The Chief let out a small sigh of defeat before continuing his briefing.

“As I was saying, onto our first order of business.” The chief said grabbing a file out of the folder in front of him.

“I regret to inform you that one of our agents, Flash Sentry, was killed this morning.” The Chief said, grabbing his file photo out of the folder.

The group gasped in shock and began quietly panicking over the situation.

“By another agent seated at this table.” The Chief continued, turning his head to Agent Sweetie Drops.

“I reckon that we need to do something about this traitor.” Crusader Bloom said standing up at her seat. “Agent Sweetie Drops!”

The rest of the assassins cheered in a agreement. Bon Bon shrunk back in her seat, afraid of what would happen next.

“Enough!” The Chief shouted in an effort to quiet the crowd.

The room went silent as the assassins sat back down.

“Our records show that Agent Sweetie Drops was on a mission.” The Chief continued. “After reviewing her case file, we have discovered that the assignment was a forgery. The only way that someone could get forged mission assignments onto our records was if they were seated at this very table.”

The group quietly looked around the room at one another in suspicion.

“Our numbers are thinning.” The Chief continued. “When I began this organization, I recruited you all to help keep the peace in Equestria, since it no longer had official rulers. Since then, neighboring nations have tried countless times to take over this weakened country, all stopped because of us. However, I fear there is a power struggle beginning. Someone in this room is a double agent, working for someone on the outside.They want to see someone else take control of this land. If the Pony Core falls, Equestria will be plunged into chaos.”

“Did you say chaos?” The Colonel said with a grin.

“Not now.” The Chief rebuked sternly.

“I want you all on your guard until this situation taken care of.” The Chief said to the core members. “Also, Agent Sweetie Drops’ position in the Core has been terminated effective immediately.” The Chief said dismissively.

“Wait what?!” She asked in utter shock.

“Now, I understand that you killing Flash Sentry was a mistake. However, we cannot take the chance of you running around without consequence.” The Chief replied calmly.

“You can’t get rid of me! If you take away Ponyville’s seat then the traitor only gets want they want.” She continued to protest.

“Calm down agent.” The Chief said sternly. “I’m not taking away Ponyville’s seat in the Core, just yours. Meet your new replacement.”

With that, the Colonel walked over to the doors and opened them for the new guest. As they opened, a green unicorn with white and turquoise hair stepped into the room.

“May I introduce to the Core, Agent Lyre Strings.” The Chief said proudly.

“Hello everypony!” Lyra said cheerfully.

“Lyra?” Sweetie Drops said, completely stunned.

“Hi Bon Bon!” Lyra said with another smile.

“How did you get into the Core?”

“They just came to Ponyville and asked around. I told them I knew you.” Lyra replied simply.

“All right everyone. Your missions will continue as normal, but as of now we are on high alert until this killer is found.” The Chief commanded. “Pony Core, dismissed.”

Then everyone got up and went their separate ways, all equally as unnerved. As many were leaving the room, a lone Zebra walked in and approached Daring Do.

“Sorry I missed the Core meeting, I lost track of time while I was eating.” Zecora said to her friend.

“No worries, I’ll fill you in.” Daring Do replied. “Apparently, there is a defector in the Core killing other assassins. I say we head back to Everfree and lie low for a while.”

Zecora nodded and the two assassins headed on their way leaving only Agent Sweetie Drops in the main room to ponder the situation. All of a sudden a voice from thin air spoke to her.

“I bet you want to solve this mystery don’t you?” The voice of the Colonel called out.

“Discord I am not in the mood, show yourself!” Sweetie Drops said bluntly.

“Please, call me Colonel. But enough about me, I know you want to get to the bottom of this. I can help.” Discord said smugly.

“How?”

“Do you remember the event that started this Core, the Ponyville Massacre?”

“Yes, I was working for Canterlot at the time and was sent to investigate.”

“There was a survivor.” Discord said with a grin. “A...I guess I would say friend of mine. Applejack, of the Apple family.”

“How come I didn’t hear about this?” Sweetie Drops asked.

“Because she didn’t want you to.” Discord replied. “After the event she went into hiding and devoted her time to solving mysteries like this. Her own sister doesn’t even know. But I bet, if you contacted her, she would be willing to help you out. Here’s her business card.” Discord said pulling a card out of thin air.

“Wait so she’s a secret detective but has business cards?” Sweetie Drops asked in complete confusion.

“You ask too many questions. Just contact her and solve this mystery. You’ll probably be reinstated, maybe even promoted.” Discord said walking out of the room. “Good luck.”

Sweetie Drops looked at the card in her hoof and contemplated her next move. Reading the card she saw a location that Applejack could be found. Sweetie Drops remembered that location. It was Fluttershy’s cabin on the edge of the forest. Obviously not in use since its owner was gone. The perfect place to hide. Standing in silence for a moment she thought about her options.

“You’ve messed with the wrong mare you no good murderer. Now, you’re gonna pay. I’m on the case.” She said to herself as she headed out to the address on the card.

Author's Note:

As with the prequel, I WILL NOT be following the exact story that Rooster Teeth did. This first chapter is similar to introduce characters but the story will separate. There will be references and possibly similarities, but don't assume that my story will end the same way. I hope you enjoy.