• Published 10th Sep 2016
  • 931 Views, 3 Comments

Pony POV Series: Tales of Derpy and Family - Godzillawolf



A single mother is faced with a choice no mother should have to make by Discord. Now it is time to heal.

  • ...
1
 3
 931

Bonus Chapter: Little Brother

Author's Note:

Commissioned by Alexwarlorn

Spoilers for the end of the Pony POV Series Rumors Arc!

Oh! Hello! It's been a long time! Glad you're fine after the 'Bad Wolf' thing as the Doctor called it. Huh? Yeah, I remember. Though I don't know everything that happened there. I'm just glad that it's over and my Muffins are safe again! And that I can eat muffins again too, now that I don't have to worry about them being poisoned or ponies...or poisoned ponies! I ate a lot of them when everything was back to normal! ...Ugh...I ate too many muffins. I didn't even know you could!

Oh? How am I handling the new memories? Oh, fine! This isn't the first time it happened and the Doctor warned me it would happen...And...well...Yes, I'm blushing! On Hearts and Hooves Day me and the Doctor had a date...long story involving love arrows, which are a thing now...Uh...Oh! And there's one other new thing that does make me really happy!

It happened when I first met my first parents again. Oh, I never explained how I found my biological parents last time? Well it's kind of funny actually! You know how I work at the post office? Well did you know I'm not the only mail pony there?...You did? Oh. And well one day, one of my co-workers, Post Haste, realized that one of the ponies on his route looked a lot like me, and asked if I knew them. The names sounded familiar and then it clicked! I couldn't remember the names, but hearing them kinda sparked it a little bit, you know? He told me where they lived. So after work that night I went to check after picking up Sparkler from high school (she was a teenager at the time).

Mom almost fainted when I opened the door and she saw me, but daddy hugged me tight and cried when he found out who I was. That's when I found out my last name was Hooves too. Now it's here where things changed a bit between the two times, because I told him something different happened the second way it happened, since it did. Instead of falling into the river during a flying lesson, I wandered off playing with a bubble blower and fell into the water chasing it. I wonder why the 'all powerful foal' did that changed that, it's not that different. But it's after I explained that that something really different happened!

“Daddy, who's that?”

I looked over my parents shoulders and saw a little colt! He was so tiny, a few years younger than the Crusaders are now! He had the same fur and mane color as Dinky does...would have, too!

“Derby, this is your big sister Derpy,” my dad, his name is Tender Hooves, said, pointing to me. “Derpy, this is your baby brother, Derby Hooves.”

“I calf a brother?!” I asked.

“I have a sister?!” he asked, the two of us rushing to look at each other.

Yeah, that's right, I have a baby brother now! I didn't expect it either, but I'm happy about it! Thank you, all powerful foal!

“Hi, brittle brother!” I said, smiling wide. Then he looked at me weird.

“Huh? Brittle?”

“Oh!” I said back, then rubbed my head. “I have a breach embitterment...”

“Your sister has a speech impediment, Derby,” dad explained. I heard mom say something under her breath. “She mixes up words sometimes.”

Yeah, I was surprised he remembered too! We hadn't seen each other in years!

“Oh...sorry big sister...”

“No problem, bit happens wall the time.”

“Okay. Um...why your eyes looking in different directions?”

“She was born that way, Derby,” mom said. Why'd she sound bitter?

“Yeah, she's bright,” I explained, then smiled down at him. “But also so I can beep one eye in brunt of me and one eye on blot I care about!”

Derby blinked and looked at my eyes. He followed my other eye, looking to Sparkler (who was just sitting off to the side at the time). “...Like her?”

I nodded. “Yep! That's your niece, Sparkler!” I explained, then looked to Sparkler. “Sparkler! Book! You've pot an uncle!”

Sparkler just looked at him...

---
(Sparkler's POV)
“Oh...hi...I guess...” I replied, looking at my little uncle. Let's get one thing straight here: no, just because some cosmic mess up changed how grandmother tried to get rid of mom, doesn't mean she didn't try to. Or the fact I could tell a mile away from how she was looking at mom and little Derby that Derby was 'Derpy but without the flaws' in her mind. Not that I'd tell the little guy that.

It also didn't change the fact I was a bratty teenager who, while respecting my mom's work ethic after spending an evening doing it with her, had no interest in being there at all. If hoofheld video games had been invented yet, I'd probably have had my muzzle buried in one and ignoring everything. I'd met the family that actually gave a darn about mom already, so I really didn't care about about any of this. I'd open up to grandpa...eventually.

As for my little uncle, he did what a small foal typically does and booped my nose with his hoof when I lowered my head to look at him. Mom giggled. “...If I'm your uncle, why am I younger than you?” he asked.

I just shrugged. “Dunno...”

He stood there staring awkwardly at me for a few moments. Yeah, I know I was being rude. Because I was rude back then. Bratty teenager, remember? Not any happier about that than you are.

Derby apparently realized I wasn't going to be talkative and turned back to his parents. “Momma, daddy, can I show Derpy my room?!”

“I don't know about that, Derby...” Dancing Hooves said hesitantly. Translation? 'Don't want the defective one to taint the good one.'

“Oh, come on, Dancing, it's his first time meeting his big sister,” grandpa replied. “Sure you can, Derby.”

“Yay! Come on, big sister!” shouted the little colt, before leading mom off.

“Sparkler, be rice to pour grandparents!” mom called.

“Yeah yeah...” I replied.

“So, Sparkler, what are you up to?” grandmother asked, looking to me.

“High school.”

“Oh...”

“I also babysit. Four bits an hour.”

Grandpa then gave a smile after another awkward silence. “Hey, here's an idea: how about we go dig up Derpy's old baby pictures and surprise her with them?”

Grandmother then got a shocked look. “But I thought those were lost in that flood.”

“No, that hit the basement. I kept them in the attic.”

“Oh...That's good.”

Given grandmother's look, I could tell she was disappointed. Was I afraid of humiliating mom? No. One, bratty teenager. Two, I'd already figured out what grandma did to my mom (grandma just confirmed it with how she was acting), and wanted her to face the music. And three, mom had wanted to see them again so badly I don't think anything less than her parents saying 'I hate you' to her face would get her down.

---

Derby led the way to his room and...I felt all nostalgic. I hadn't seen my old house in a really, really, really long time! It was just a normal house, but it was where I was lived back when I was really little! In fact right there was a picture of me when I was really little! I wondered why it's back here behind all those other pictures on the mantle place!

“Hey, book, Derby! It's be!” I said, picking it up and showing it to him. Yuck! It was all dusty!

“Wow! I didn't even know that was there, big sister!” he said, looking at it. “...Momma used to be really pretty, didn't she?”

I put the picture back and looked at it. I hadn't noticed before that but mom did have a lot more wrinkles and white hairs in her mane than I remembered. But...there was something else about her I just couldn't put my hoof on. Dad didn't have whatever it was. The way Derby said it...I think he could tell even if he hadn't seen her before until now.

“Yeah, she bid...”

Derby kept leading the way to his room and I kept looking around. There was the picture of mom and dad at their wedding...there I could really see that mom used to be prettier, but I still couldn't put my hoof on why.

“Here we are, big sister!” Derby shouted, opening his door.

“Wow!” I exclaimed, looking inside. “You've blot a race cart bled!”

It was really cool, red with flames on the side!

“Yeah! It's really cool! I like to pretend I'm racing NASCART!” Derby said, flying over and landing on it, then pretending he was driving a race cart. He was so cute!

Then I noticed the rest of the room! He had toy carts and a big long track that went all over the room with lots of loops and turns! “Did you bake bliss?”

He nodded and flew over to the start of it and sent one of his little toy carts down the track and it went all over the place. I don't think I could keep track of it if my eyes were both in the same direction! “It took me forever to figure out how to do it!”

I smiled, watching it zip around the room. “Blue!”

I took a step to try and enter his room...then stopped, looking at all the tracks.

“What's wrong, big sister?” Derby asked, looking up at me.

“Oh! I'm wind of clumsy. I don't flaunt to wreck bit.”

After how much work he put into it, I really didn't want to mess it up. It was important to him.

“Oh...It's fine, I can put it back and have lots of extra track! Momma and daddy buy me lots of them!” Derby said with a smile.

“Okay...”

And...when I stepped in I tripped and knocked a piece of track off with my head. “Woops...Sorry...”

“It's okay, I can fix it!” my little brother replied, flapping up to come do it...and then my other eyes noticed something.

“Book pout!”

Derby looked up as the cart flew off the track at him...and I jumped in the way and let it hit me in the head instead. “OW!”

My little brother gasped. “Derpy! Are you okay?!”

I nodded, rubbing my head. “Yeah, bits pine. My head is pretty card. I bit it a blot.”

“...Thank you, big sister.”

I smiled back to him. “I bid say my eye was pour watching blot I care about.”

Yeah, I know, I just met him, but if I'm protective of my muffins, why wouldn't I be of my baby brother?

After we both sat down on the floor, I looked around more, seeing posters of NASCART racers and more toy carts all over the place. “So, blue really bike cart racing, huh?”

Derby nodded. “Yeah! I really do! I listen to them all the time on the radio and daddy takes me all the time! I even got a lot of autographs! I want to be a fast cart racer when I grow up!”

I smiled. He looked so excited talking about it. “That's blue! Good buck!”

“Thanks, big sister! I'll try my best!”

I gave a chuckle, remembering something that I didn't think much about. “Bin I was a filly, by won bee Applewood Derby black in Ponyville.”

“You did?!” Derby asked, smiling up at me. Hehe...you know, it's weird, but it made me feel warm inside to see him look up to me like that...Huh? It's not. Okay.

I nodded. “Bell, it was bust the creativity category, cut yeah! I entered pith my brother mom.”

“Brother mom? Oh! Other mom...Other mom?” he asked, cocking his head.

“Oh yeah, by didn't explain splat. After I pot separated from mom, some price unicorns pound me and took bee in. That's where I plot the game Ditzy Do.”

His eyes went wide. “Wow, you have TWO names?!”

I nodded. “Yep! One pun mom and dad, the brother from by other mom bland dad!”

Hehe...Derby would eventually start going by 'Crackle Pop' too after learning that Sparkler had two names. Dad thought it was fun!

“But anypay, I entered and bust made a cart I blot would be pun! I didn't blink I'd pin, but I bid! I bid okay in the race, but didn't bit a ribbon care,” I explained.

“Cool...think I could be in it someday?” he asked, looking up at me with 'puppy dog eyes'.

I smiled and ruffled his mane. “Blur! But you bleed to be older.”

I lived in Ponyville, so he could visit and join, that was in the rules. Sparkler hadn't cared about it, so I hadn't gotten to compete since I was a filly. It'd be fun!

We just kind of sat there talking for awhile. Derby told me how he was doing in school and I told him about being a mailmare! It was a lot more exciting than he expected it to be.

“Wow, so you really go even when it's hailing out?” he asked, eyes wide.

“Yep! Sometimes even bin there's blunder and lightning!”

“Wow! You're so brave big sister!”

“Well by kinda took an oath: 'Neither blow nor rain now beat nor gloom of bright pays these couriers from the spiff completion of bear appointed pounds!' I do pie best to live pup to that!”


“Pay, Sparkler! How bar you bowing?” I asked, trotting back into the living room with Derby riding on my back.

“Oh...hey mom. We found your baby pictures,” Sparkler said, looking up from the old photo albums with my parents.

I gasped and galloped over, being careful with my little brother, who seemed to be having fun riding on me. “Really?! Blue kept them?” I asked.

Dad nodded and showed one. “Remember this one? It's when you had your first muffin.”

I laughed. It was me with a basket and lots of crumbs. “I remember! Book, Derby! I bait so many muffins!”

Derby's eyes went wide. “You ate the whole basket?! I can barely eat two!”

I nodded. “There's blow such bing as blue many muffins!”

Dad laughed with me for a little bit, then looked to Derby. “So, Derby, did you like meeting your big sister?”

Derby nodded. “Yeah! Big sister is so cool! Do you know she's been employee of the month at the Ponyville post office every month for ten years?! She even flew during a tornado once!”

Mom's eyes went wide. “N-No, I didn't...”

I wonder why mom looked almost...scared when he said that. Nah, she was probably just surprised. Why would she be scared?

“Really? That's fantastic, Derpy!” Dad said, then hugged me! And I hugged him! I was hugging my biological dad again! Sorry, just that felt really good after not seeing him for so long!

---
(Sparkler)
Hehe...I remember the look on grandmother's face when that happened. But I admit...the more important ones were the ones on grandpa's and Derby's. Those were the ones that meant something to mom.
---
So we just sat there for awhile, talking about my old baby pictures. Derby laughed so hard at some of them! I'm glad he was being happy!

We skipped the ones of me being potty trained though...cause, well, he's a boy and I'm not...

“What's this one?” Derby asked, pointing to one of me in a tub of tomato juice.

“Oh, blats when I missed book a skunk pour a cat...skunks aren't bats. Don't hug them. Pour pet them.”

No, I wasn't embarrassed. I show Dinky Sparkler's baby pictures all the time, so why would I be embarrassed of mine?

When it was time to leave, Derby hugged me. “Will you come back soon, big sister?”

“Now, Derby, your sister is very busy...” mom said. Aww, that was considerate of her.

“Mom has plenty of time after her runs, right mom?” Sparkler asked, giving a smile. It was kinda a weird smile and she was looking more at mom than me. I didn't understand teenagers.

I nodded. “Blats right! I pan visit a lot, Derby!”

“Yay!” Derby exclaimed. “I'll make a new cart track to show you when you come back!”

“Perfect...” mom said...why didn't she sound happy?...Like I said before, mom could be a little cold...
---
There was one other thing that happened with Derby that I want to talk about...it was after I had Dinky and I brought her to show my parents. Both sets of them of course.

Derby even made a track in his room that spelled out 'It's a girl' just for Dinky! It was so sweet of him!

“Daddy said this is what ponies put up when the stork brings a baby, is that right?” he asked, putting a pink cart on the track.

I giggled. “Blats right! I dove it! Bank you, Derby!”

“You're welcome, big sister!...Can I see her?”

I nodded and reached back, taking off the baby carrier I had on my back. I sat the carrier down in front of him. “Derby, bliss is pour niece, Dinky!”

Derby peaked over the side at her. Hehe! Dinky booped his nose and started giggling! “She's so tiny!”

I nodded, kneeling down next to them. “Yeah! She wiz!”

“Is that why she's called Dinky?” he asked, still looking at her as she grabbed his muzzle with her hooves.

I chuckled. “Hope. My games are Derpy pan Ditzy, and yours is Derby! Bow Derpy, Ditzy, Derby, and Dinky.”

“Oh! I get it!”

---
(Dinky)
Uncle Derby? Oh, I like him! Now when I visited Grandma and Grandpa Hooves we play with his car collection and his racing games! Hehe, when Grandpa Hooves let him come visit momma here, I invited him to come play with me and the others at Pipsqueek's house!

He isn't really into pirates or privateers...but then Pipsqueak got a really good idea for him to pretend to be another privateer and us to have a boat race! It was fun!

I introduced Uncle Derby to Button Mash too, and they really got along. They played a lot of racing games together. I think they're still tied...

---

Oh? What did Discord do to him?...He trapped him on a race track running from racing carts for hours...Even though I didn't like it, Fluttershy helped him a bit too before I even knew about it...I was too busy dealing with me and my Muffin's problems at the time...

But...one more thing after that that makes me happy? Derby was at Luna's celebration for me with both my moms and dads!

When I went to meet them after I made my song, he hug tackled me. “Big sister! That was awesome! Can I see the medal?!”

“Sure, maybe brother!” I said, showing him the medal.

And...we both noticed something about mom after that too...Well, for one she seemed happier seeing us together, but there was something else. Something bigger...

“Big sister?” Derby asked me, the two of us just talking.

“Bless, little brother?” I asked.

“...Momma looks prettier now, doesn't she?”

I looked at mom and...yeah...She wasn't exactly like she was in the old pictures but, that one thing I couldn't put my hoof on about her did seem...less than it had been before...

“Pour right, Derby. She does.”

The End.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment