• Published 5th Aug 2016
  • 1,884 Views, 4 Comments

Bound by Moonlight - Indulgence



A little retelling of one of Equestria’s older tales about the Sun, the Moon, and their star.

  • ...
3
 4
 1,884

Acceptance

Steps, only steps, sounding as two distinct sets within a multitude of rhythmic others following respectively behind. The first of the pair walked a steady pace, consciously slowed, calm and collected as they strolled to the click of their golden shoes. The second meanwhile was far more erratic, not quite able to keep in step, every so often breaking into a swifter trot to keep up. All other hooves meanwhile were as one, evidently trying as individuals to make themselves quieter, but prevented from anything close to muteness by their armoured forms.

Celestia let her movements remain slowed. There had and would always be the need to rush, torn constantly between the various palace departments or otherwise called to some crisis elsewhere, but for now her time was her own. When she had first got up the will to dig herself out from the mausoleum she had made of her bedroom everything, including her being, had been in antithesis. The world had been the court chamber, caught in only chaos as quite literal mountains of business were worked through, nopony besides herself seeming to have been able to make a single decision in her absence. Atop the throne she had simply sat, deliberated and commanded, nothing more, working merely mechanically and on instinct. Only when her bodyguards had stepped in (although in truth she could not remember having ordered them to do so) had this come to a halt, their commander reminding her of business elsewhere, whilst the rest formed a shield between herself and all others from their gold clad ranks.

The Sun in pausing to let the one at her side keep up a little easier, brought a forehoof to the royal jewellery yoked about her neck. It was not that she did not care, more in fact the opposite. She wanted to fix everything; for all in her realm to be gifted happiness. In of itself such a burden was immense, yet she had always born it, until a final straw had broken her back. The need for her to go on was hard to square with the guilt that she could not mend the one thing she was most desperate to.

But go on you must.

From the original chaos of court a picket of sentries (noticeably more so than normal, but again not on her order) had been her guides, and the princess had followed, drifting. Incapable of or not up to much more, she had let herself be led, more a mark of inattentiveness than trust. This path had eventually brought Celestia to one of the citadel’s many auditoriums, its seats filled with a mass of smiling colts and fillies, each one a hopeful entrant to her School for Gifted Unicorns. All her subjects were her children, she cared for them as any mother would, and in return their happy expressions made her feel like a guilty parent.

A small shape bumped into the Sun’s side, drawing her eyes downward, greeted by a lavender face tinged in embarrassed pink.

‘Sorry Princess…’ the filly attempted timidly, gaze falling likewise to the safer view of her own hooves, awkwardly shuffling.

Celestia shook her head with a warm smile on her lips, coaxing the young unicorn back up from the floor. ‘It’s fine Twilight, we’re almost there.’

They continued for a little further onward, making their way through the almost labyrinthine web of corridors which permeated the palace. Neither really felt the need of words, each simultaneously nervous and elated in their own way. A small distance behind them both, the unusually large contingent of the Solar Guard remained in attendance, drawing back enough to give privacy but still close. The soldiers collectively wore a blank slate of an aspect through their helms’ visors, features attempting to emulate their steely armour. Their sovereign however, herself (although not particularly of late) a master of concealment, saw through the disguise. They were concerned for their charge, something that was guiltily touching to her, appreciating better their presence.

Their steps stopped before one of the unending hallway’s many side doors, ornately carved and therefore nondescript like the rest. As it opened in a golden glow though, so too did the openness beyond it within. Tessellated panels formed one wall entirely of glass, leaving the turret room afloat as if set in the sky, whilst all others were formed of bookshelves reaching as high as the far off ceiling. A circling balcony ran around the space’s edge, interlinked by a bridge across its middle, marking the point between two floors which the enormous room actually straddled. Its little features however brought it back to earth: the long ruby drapes tucked at the window’s corners, a bed sat central, with further cosy furniture placed here and there, and even the books all around. Each of the tomes’ cracked spines, coloured in a rainbow of tones, spoke of care and use, lovingly chosen and preserved as opposed to decoratively placed. It was a palatial suite and library’s worth of knowledge essentially combined, yet in spite of this still managed to be homely and inviting.

The princess again looked down to her side, finding the lavender filly again shuffling in place, except this time in nervy anticipation as if about to receive a Hearth Warming’s Day present. Despite herself, Twilight took a tentative step forward, before glancing back over her shoulder. Continued smiles and an encouraging nod loosed the young unicorn into motion, skipping delightedly in exploration. The Sun meanwhile just beamed happily in at the threshold.

Not for the first time that day the Solar Princess was struck by déjà vu, accompanied by a disparate mixture of feelings. At the very least in her mind’s eye, there was a marked similarity between the purple form scampering about the bedroom and one dark navy not so long ago. The two were much of a muchness, an observation most obvious in Twilight’s quiet pride and celebrations in her earlier magical success, a near mirror image to Luna as she began to master her own powers. Familiarity was a reminder and therefore there was pain in it, but at the same time the memories were happy ones.

Celestia still had her regrets and for now they would remain, their weight her self-imposed punishment. This was no end however, and somehow she had to accept that, no matter how hard it was to do so. She would have to learn to live with it, if for no other reason for the sake of all those that relied on her. Although the feat seemed impossible, eventually she would have the chance to try and make amends. Until then though she would attempt to do so by proxy; lending herself to nurturing another so similar, so full of potential if given the chance to flourish. Perhaps through this she could be better; better as the older sister she had failed to be and maybe, just maybe, with that she could be content.

---

Well that was certainly eventful.

‘You can say that again.’

From on high the stars twinkled, shining their gentle light down on Canterlot. In many ways the evening was perfect, never a given bearing in mind the days which had preceded it, warmed and still. Closer inspection of the imperial capital would have revealed damaged blemishes in amongst its perfect buildings, but as things were nopony paid them any heed. The city and its inhabitants were understandably instead engrossed in celebration; a royal wedding was after all far from a regular event, not to mention salvation from an invasion by insectoid monsters believed to be long extinct. It was likely therefore that the various parties consuming many of the streets would continue long into the night. Things were no different inside the palace walls, a kaleidoscope of dancing colours blazing out through the great hall’s windows.

Set high above the streets below, on a pure white balcony stained technicolour by the world behind it; Twilight laid her head upon her forehooves. She let out a broad yawn, one that Rarity would have been sure to catch her on were she not beyond the prying eyes of the party within. “Eventful” was perhaps the nicest way she had yet heard the invasion of Equestria by love-sucking parasites described, but it was nonetheless fitting. Days of preparation and suspicion had begot a day of battle, in of itself a proverbial rollercoaster, leading into victory and therefore yet more preparation. All in all it had been “eventful”, for want of a better word. There had been fear, often raised up as sheer terror, she had seen her mentor falter and fall and her homeland brought to the brink of true catastrophe. For now therefore she was adrift, as if becalmed, tired and yet still on residual edge.

The lavender unicorn let her head stay rested on her forehooves, leant atop the balcony’s railing at its edge. Another weary yawn broke through her features. Tired was not the half of it, she was quite literally done, both mentally and physically. Even the silken nothingness of her dress felt heavy on her being, despite the pale pinkish garment’s minimalist construction, only embellished with a single star at its chest (a compromise with its extravagant creator who had wanted to adorn it with much more). There remained a great many questions left unanswered, subsumed in the motion blur of events, whilst at the same time impossibly through it all something was still nagging at the back of her mind. There was still somepony she had not yet got to see again, something which had brought her a great deal of foalish excitement in the prospect of visiting the imperial capital, as yet unfulfilled. ‘Well, at least everything came through in the end…’

‘Good evening Twilight Sparkle.’

Eep!

Internally Twilight’s mind failed to articulate anything other than a tongue-tied squeak, instantly recognising the imperious tone which greeted her. Turning (or more correctly stumbling round unsure on the spot) her vision met the alicorn it expected, except clothed in the pale blues of an evening gown, rolling like soft clouds about her slender navy form. Faced with this the mere student found her outward tongue as lacking as her inner one. ‘Erm… oh I… hi… I mean good evening your highness.’ Mentally she face-hoofed at her own awkwardness.

Luna in contrast seemed to much better embody courtly etiquette, giving a smile and a bowed nod in return, but remaining on the cusp of entrance. For a moment more the princess lingered between worlds, neither here nor there, pause breaking the confidence of her air. ‘We are… I-I’m sorry, I did not mean to startle, but may I join you for a while?’

‘Erm…’ Again Twilight faltered, although this time as if startled by a mirror, surprised in the other’s comparative timidity. ‘Please, by all means your highness.’

As always, your eloquence is awe-inspiring!

In rediscovering her voice proper, so too did her mind, but it had only critique to level in its words. As ever she was her own most vocal critic. This was little helped as her heart in tandem had leapt up from her chest.

‘Thank you’ the princess simply replied, still in politeness, but with something else betrayed behind her tones. By her junior’s words she was granted motion, drawing to her side with a respectful distance between. Silence swiftly fell amongst the pair, both stood and looking out from their shared precipice.

Say something!

‘Were you at the reception earlier majesty?’ Twilight began, seeking to chase away the noise of quiet. ‘I didn’t see you earlier?’

Luna’s ears twitched at the question, but she did not turn to face her enquirer. ‘Please, the titles are unnecessary, just Luna is fine. I’d much prefer you call me that.’ The princess remained looking straight ahead, an uncharacteristic pink hue however just visible on her cheeks as she made her request. ‘In answer: no I wasn’t, more’s the pity, so the “Invasion of Canterlot” as it’s being called can be listed as something else I’ve missed.’ In this her blush became a darkened frown, regretful, to her viewer’s displeasure. ‘For now I fill in for Tia, at least until the end of the festivities. My sister wishes you a goodnight by the way.’ Then all was silent again, only broken by the background noise of celebrations from behind them.

Something more would be good! Speak!

‘Your night is beautiful.’

Oh bravo!

The navy alicorn thanked with a smile, although her azure eyes ignored her ether, rather focused on the revelry below it. ‘Thank you, it’s nice to have the chance to share it with everypony.’ There was once more the threat of loaded quiet between them, stretched by the minds of those trapped in it beyond its meagre reality, until Luna chose to continue unprovoked. ‘I… I should pre-emptively apologise for what I’m about to say, I don’t mean to cast more of a shadow than I normally do, but I feel it needs saying anyway. I’m sorry…’

‘For what?’ Twilight blurted, instantly regretting the interrupting slipup, the other mare’s solemn expression having spurred her to reaction.

Luna held up a forehoof, finally turning to let their irises come to meet, apologetically begging to be allowed to go on. ‘I never got the chance to apologise before for my… other self, for threatening both you and your friends. So now I’m sorry, I’m truly sorry.’ The alicorn could not maintain their gaze, embarrassed back into looking out over the city. ‘Something else I’ve neglected to give you is my thanks.’ Although more than clunky, stumbled uncertainly over, the word’s solemnity still captured their audience. ‘From what I have heard you were one of the few, if not the only one beyond Tia, to remember my return. In this you likely knew more than most, recognised what I am… was, but you didn’t flee or turn your back. I want you to know that it meant a lot, and you have my gratitude for all you did to help me. Thank you.’

Twilight fell deeper into her stunned silence, entirely unprepared for the unexpected outpouring. Even her mind had chosen to shut up for the moment, wanting only to listen. She felt rooted in place, yet in want of motion, as if transfixed. On the one hoof she was aglow in the princess’ presence, appreciating the thanks far more than the sum of their simple words, whilst at the same time loathing the pained guilt written in the sovereign’s features. She wanted to move, to comfort, to fix, but she remained stilled.

‘What did you think of the wedding?’ Luna asked suddenly, her gaze dropping further to her hooves. ‘Of Cadence and your brother’s match I mean? It did after all kind of come out of the blue.’

An answer took a while to formulate, the question taking its already destabilised target off guard. ‘I don’t know, at first I was unsure about the whole thing, and then the Chrysalis issue further muddled things. “Out of the blue” is one term for it, in that I didn’t even know that they were together, but they’ve known each other for an age, mostly through me. I guess I just didn’t see it before and it’s going to take me a while to get used to it. Like I said though, they’ve known each other so long and at the same time they’re really similar, so it does make logical sense. That’s the way it’s supposed to be right?’

Luna gave a small, almost invisible, nod, but in this it was noticeable that her ears fell ever so slightly. Abruptly she turned about, vision still locked on the floor, making a few strides away to whence she had come.

What did you say!?

‘Luna?’ Twilight on instinct fell a single step in pursuit, her lone called out word thankfully halting the other mare in flight.

‘I-I’m sorry Twilight, I’m… I’m not very good at this.’ Even from behind it was clear that the princess’ cheeks were again burnt a cute shade of pink. ‘I… I have another confession to make.’ In saying this, the alicorn made a reluctant turn, adding: ‘do you know of my dreamwalking abilities?’

‘Yes.’ The student was well aware of the Princess of the Night’s power to enter other ponies’ dreams, if not satisfactorily so as far as her instinctive inquisitiveness was concerned. She had only learned so much from her unsuccessful studies, discovering this seemingly unique element of the dark alicorn’s powers, but little else besides. She remained ignorant of their extent or purpose for example. Concern however created her simple affirmation, reigning in her intrigue, not wanting to make any interruption.

‘I thought that you would, although it is kind of an open secret about me.’ The princess managed to raise herself to another brief smile. ‘Or rather it once was, as it would seem that most even basic knowledge of me and my place in Equestria has been generally lost to time.’ With this her image darkened once more. ‘But I digress, evasively to my shame.’ Despite her self-reproach she still shuffled awkwardly on the spot, still hesitating. ‘I’ve seen your dreams, principally those concerning… myself’ the alicorn finally admitted, this confession begetting a stream of further words after her timid start. ‘I’m truly sorry, I know I had absolutely no right to, but I… I didn’t want to overleap my limited responsibilities, or more importantly to break your trust but I-I… I like you, a lot, and I had to know what you thought of me in return…’

Twilight remained quiet as the princess trailed off; the other mare seeming shrunk despite her taller stature, with shoulders slumped. She was lost for what to say, and burned for it, feeling utterly incapable. The sight was a mirror, unpleasantly so, being herself well acquainted with the insecurity composed throughout its features. She hated more than anything being the cause, but equally her heart danced in what Luna said. In any case she did not know how to react, her body only taking a step towards the object of this confusion on impulse.

‘Please don’t hate me for it…’

This last little plea drew the lavender unicorn across the last few steps dividing them, bringing a supportive forehoof to her opposite’s shoulder. ‘I like you too…’

‘I know you do.’ The dark alicorn’s eyes remained low, stealing glances upward rather than letting their gazes truly meet. ‘Or rather, I know that you don’t. The Princess of the Night who holds sway in your thoughts and myself are two very different ponies. You make me a great many things I wish I was; a great many things I wish I could be for you.’ Luna winced; regret playing at the corners of her irises, averted vision set in the past. ‘But I’m not, I’m damaged, and I don’t want to hurt you, so…’

Moving fluidly without thought Twilight’s forehoof guided Luna’s muzzle to her own, bringing their lips to meet in turn. As far as kisses were concerned theirs was far from special, its unsure initiator being far too inexperienced, whilst the partner she had taken by surprise was long out of practice when it came to intimacy. Neither however felt the need to pull away, eyes at last lost in one another’s, initially wearing the said same expression of abject shock, cut with more than a small amount of fright. Gradually though this faded, lost as lids fluttered contentedly closed. Together their lips and eventually timid tongues found far greater wordless eloquence, although passion-fuelled whispering only cares and mutual reassurance. Like this they conversed, drifting away on what the other expressed and the promises they made in kind.

---

A cold chill worked its way again across her spine, as if some creature devoid of life exhaled icily at her back.

Poor little Lulu! Don’t cry; your tears will get you nowhere.

The first droplets of tears nonetheless fell, running their way down her cheeks whilst the world blurred, fluid beneath a blinked stream of water.

No matter how much you might try to convince yourself otherwise, you’re still the weak-willed little filly you’ve always been at heart, the same one, small and side-lined, which I saved.

The princess’ gaze had fallen to her hooves, shying from the mirror’s scene before her and all besides, in every way in her mind’s eye embodying the lonely creature she was accused of being.

I can save you again though, you know I can.

Cold, she felt so cold, the cool of the night’s air biting about her form. More than this however, its voice chilled her like a nightmare, except far too real as it whispered at her ear.

We both know I’m right, about this and so many other things. Surely you can remember all the fun we had, all you were with me to help and guide you. Look at me Lulu.

‘Luna?’

A fresh voice, seemingly quite close and yet still distant, stretching with a yawn as it threw off the mantle of sleep.

Come now, just look at me.

‘Luna?’

The other softer voice called to her once more, marginally louder this time, yet maintaining its comparative muteness. It made no demands, just quietly questioned in a concerned tone.

Look at me!

Luna’s eyes were startled to attention, drawn to her mirrored opposite, set still in the looking glass. Behind her the inky being leered over her at her left side, matched azure orbs glaring into her like daggers, feline pupils drawn thin as razorblades. Bestial, the thing gnashed the glittering serrations which overflowed its maw, hissing and spitting in the same way a cat might if trapped in a corner. In this it was a predator, it was demanding and it seethed with an innately threatening air, but at the same time there was desperation just below its jet black surface.

Let me back in!

Its snarls grew fiercer, snapping at the princess’ unprotected form, dark ichor dripping from its bared fangs. In an instant however this sharply drawn visage vanished, burst apart in a silent scream as another far different pierced through from its back. This new brighter aspect broke through the shadows, always illuminating in spite of its shaded background, or perhaps made more so surrounded by darkness. In a few short steps the lavender figure came to her side, matching strands of mane allowed to forego their usual orderliness in favour of being peacefully tousled. A new picture filled the reflective pane: an image of the two of them side by side, although for her all that really mattered in it was Twilight. In fact more precisely all that held her attentions were the unicorn’s deep violet irises, both orbs looking into her through the glass, holding onto her and comfortingly whispering without the need of words.

‘It’s okay, I’m here. It was just a bad dream.’

Maintaining their gaze, Twilight drew in closer to her partner, softly nuzzling against the taller alicorn’s neck. Her presence was a reassurance and it was an unconditional reminder, as much as being in turn a warming comfort.

‘I know and love who you really are, don’t forget that. Everything else is void. I love you.’

Luna in equally silent reply extended a wing, bringing it to tightly enfold the one beside her, drawing them both into a mutually protective cuddle. The alicorn let herself turn away and into the hug, nuzzling back whilst unthinkingly raising a forehoof to run lightly through her partner’s hair. Twilight followed in close mimicry, each guiding the other onward, matched in feathery caresses and stolen kisses until finally their lips met. Unbeknownst to either of them the pale light which had been trickling in at the veiled windows broke into a sudden torrent, the moon outside blossoming as its full face, leaving them both stood in a pool of silver. They remained blind to all beyond as likewise the princess’ stars burst back into life in a rolling wave across her mane and tail, one tinged just visibly purple new amongst their number. The room shimmered, shadows pushed away to its edges, the two of them together at its centre.

Comments ( 2 )

I like it. Good job:twilightsmile:
I especially loved the ending :raritystarry:

7976946 Fair point. I'm aware i'm prone to getting a bit tangential, it's a fault i'm continuing to work on. Thanks for the comment

Login or register to comment