• Published 13th Oct 2019
  • 12,713 Views, 2,779 Comments

Spike of All Trades - Ariamaki



"Wouldn't it be great if life were like a game?", some people ask. Spike can definitively answer... "Maybe."

  • ...
43
 2,779
 12,713

PreviousChapters Next
Zero Hour: Part 18

Spike divvied up the physical rewards into three parts, leaving the system benefits for last.

First up was the money: Real bits! Enemies dropped money in a lot of role-playing games whether it made sense or not. Shining said it dated back to how loot was calculated in the earliest versions of O+O, often hoarded by the monster or found in some barterable form like pelts or whatever. In this case, Spike was far more likely to chalk it up to his system being cheeky and weird: Fifty coins in a thin velvet purse. He didn't put them in the bag, they just kinda came like that.

The second item of note was the first proper item: A small black buckler shield, attached to straps made of some unfamiliar stretchy material. It was sized perfectly to fit his forearm when he was in his new day-to-day size, although the buckle holes and the elasticity meant it would probably scale up and down well.

Its description was a lot less straightforward than its appearance.


Glittershield
Rating: Rare
Defense: Special

A very small wrist-strap buckler made of chitinous shell. While it appears jet black under normal circumstances, when exposed to outside stress its true colors rise to the surface effervescently.

(+) Keep What's Precious: The user of the Glittershield cannot be impacted by any attack that strikes it directly, even if the effects should spread beyond or penetrate through the shield.

(-) Drop What's Not: The user of the Glittershield cannot protect anything with it except for their own person. Attempting to guard anyone or anything else will forfeit the shield's defenses.


So a shield with total immunity to attacks if he could block them with an extremely tiny target, and if he were only defending himself. It was an interesting trade-off, one he'd have to think hard about how to use... Or if he should use it at all. Would something that protected himself at the cost of others really fit his personality or upbringing? Maybe he'd figure out a novel use-case or situation where he could still use it to the benefit of friends and allies. On the bright side he was questing solo right now, so the negative feature was almost moot.

The last item was a sphere about the size of Spike's torso, like a gigantic shimmering pearl or a crystal ball. Its surface was constantly shining with iridescent shades, every color in and out of the rainbow. Despite the variety on display it was overwhelmingly dominated by three roiling clouds: One a crisp metallic silver, one a bright smoky red, and a placid deep grey. Without reading the description Spike probably couldn't have told you what the item was... Except for the sense of familiarity it radiated as he saw his own reflection on the surface.


Glittershell Egg Clutch
Rating: Unique

When a Glittershell beetle is cast out or otherwise separated from its swarm, biological imperative will drive it to roam far afield in order to undertake two tasks. First is to focus all of their growth and ability, however much that is, into self-defense and protection. This is all for the sake of the second task: An asexually-produced clutch of eggs that cannibalizes every other aspect of their creator, meant to be the foundation for a new swarm after they pass.

This particular clutch has been baptized by force and fire and mana in excess: The grubs within will be heavily immunized against physical trauma, heat and flame, and magic of all kinds.


"Certainly explains the injuries. And the lack of any other beetles, too. It was just... waiting."

Spike would have felt terrible if he had only seen the first half of this description... But the last line changed the tenor of the rest entirely. His fight against the mother (parent?) of these eggs hadn't caused any harm: It had done great good for the kids. An idea was brewing in his head already, but he did want to check the last of the spoils before he settled on anything. Those gains were in the system: His first Slayer Medal and a permanent choice between two mutually-exclusive perks.


[Neophyte Insect Slayer]
You've begun to practice the battling of insect infestations. There is still a long road ahead if you wish to master this field!

+10% damage dealt and -10% damage taken when fighting insects.
0.1% chance to completely ignore the special traits of insect enemies.
Insects may be more wary (Insect Enmity) or more accepting (Insect Affinity) of your presence.
This title scales and upgrades as you achieve more victories against insect-kind.

Insect Enmity
Slayer Bonus
As a profligate killer of arthropodae and insecti, your perception of these foes is ever-growing.

You can easily recognize the actions of any creature classified as an Insect by Observe.
This includes figuring out habits, spotting habitats, predicting attacks, and seeing weaknesses.
The requirements for Insect Slayer progression are reduced, and this bonus scales with medals.

Insect Affinity
Slayer Bonus
By hunting and driving out the crawling creatures, you grow to understand them more truthfully.

You better empathize with and understand any creature classified as an Insect by Observe.
This includes understanding their drives and behaviors, dietary needs and living requirements.
The benefits of Insect Slayer medals are improved, and medals improve your comprehension.


The medal's default perks were rock-solid and he'd be able to get a lot of use out of them in his future trips back here. As for the other two aspects? Since he could only get one and not the other, it wasn't much of a choice at all. Looking down at the egg clutch in his claws, Spike picked 'Affinity' without a second thought.

The bonuses for the Slayer medal changed immediately, with the offense and defense jumping up to +12% and -12%, while the chance to ignore special traits fully doubled. Doubling a tenth of a percent wasn't a qualitative difference but still! At the same time, he felt a shift in his memories of the past fights. Annoyingly it wasn't anything he could pin down... He just knew something was different, and even with Eidetic Memory it wasn't easy to parse just what.

'Oh well, that can come later. These benefits supposedly scale up with the medal anyways, so on my future trips out here I might get to make a breakthrough! Right now I have something else to break through.'

Spike had no intention of cracking the egg casing immediately: Hatching would come in time. Stars, he probably had a better idea of that than any other creature alive given his origin story. Haaaa, he used to think of it like that back in the day, when he was grasping for straws at how to feel accomplished: It wasn't how he was born, it was an origin story! But now that he was the Gamer he had another one, a second origin, and this one had an equally-large impact on how his life was shaping up.

'Alright, enough delays: Knife time, part two, second verse not the same as the first!'

A portion of his cooking kit came out of his inventory and he turned his attention to the first subject: The bug bits had come back out of the bag starting with a Bermite. He knew there was a word for the workers who prepared meat in civilizations and cultures that ate it often: Ponyville only had a single fishmonger dishing out to all the pegasi and the curious others alike, but he was pretty sure monger wasn't right. EIther that or calling somebody a 'warmonger' was a way weirder insult than he'd ever assumed.

Spike's system didn't come with a lexicon, but he was able to provide his own thanks to (just a bit arbitrarily) storing some books during his training. The unabridged dictionary informed him that the word he wanted was butcher. A bit grim, but this whole affair had gotten somber towards the end anyways. Fair's fair!

Since he still wanted to be able to craft and work with the armor plating afterwards, he couldn't just treat this thing like a lobster and cook it in the shell: He'd have to strip the plates off all the meat before that point. It was tough going, and he ruined more than a few limbs and even a main body segment (thorax, apparently, thanks dictionary) before getting the hang of it.

Storing the meat and armor in his inventory even had the double-edged "benefit" of grading their quality by nature of how each piece stacked. Starting from the forty specimens in good enough condition to work with at all, he got down to almost thirty before he managed to consistently finish one without any Degraded or Damaged parts. Towards the last dozen his work improved to the point of consistent Pristine and Perfect labels, and in a final bit of extractional experimentation he pulled out an entire flawless set of organs for Twilight's future study.

They'd discussed the idea of him potentially bringing back 'specimens' for her work, given that he was almost certainly going to get involved in something weird because of the Gamer. It hadn't been until later, in the aftermath of the big dinner, that they had come to a few related conclusions about his Inventory. Twilight felt that the most logical explanation was a deliberately incomplete pocket dimension, space sans time. Combining that with a previous point where he'd made a joke about specimen coolers and she'd gotten that sort of contemplative distracted look and...

Suffice to say he was prepping these organs for SCIENCE!

Doing the same with Mountain Crawlers was far harder. Spike learned that in the most annoying possible way when the first sample managed to depressurize on contact. The blowout afterwards expelled dozens of glues and acids into the kitchen, not to mention the impact on Spike himself.... Or the gasses. Or the raw inexplicable smoke. Thankfully the Diamond Dogs didn't have magical fire alarms or that would have been really hard to explain.

Four or five carcasses (carcii?) later he was able to get their oddly thick and durable exteriors off without causing any troubles for the interior. Actually getting the interior taken apart in a useful fashion was far more of a trial. Spike eventually had to dig down into Heartsongs and the Dragon's Eye in order to combine small-scale time dilation with super-focused vision and touch. That made for results, and eventually Twilight got her second set of bug organs (borgans) while Spike got another fully intact cluster for his own experiments.

After a long session of grinding he managed to get a variety of Specializations for Crafting and Cooking: [Disassembly], [Preparations], and [Butchery]. They weren't Skills in their own right but they gained their own experience and levels, giving them the potential for focused growth. Maybe in the future he could work on taking things apart and putting them back together, get something like 'Crafting: Assembly' to match?

The major haul from all of this was much more complicated, and he'd been forced to improvise a lot of containers once he realized how many potentially-useful liquids were involved. Between Bermite hemolymph, Crawler blood, and the two-dozen-odd other fluids inside any given Mountain Crawler? He had a lot of decanting to do. Thankfully all of the assorted Crawler fluids were content to stay in their pressurized bladders, but Spike had to craft up two gigantic clay vessels (in the Greycian style) for the blood-equivalents.

From the Bermites he managed to get a pile of armor plates and pieces that, mounded up into a pyramidal heap, was taller than Spike himself. The sorta-shed skins of the Mountain Crawlers added up to another gigantic pile, and between the two he was already starting to get a lot of ideas about armor and accessories for future testing.

Leaving Twilight's portion of everything (some of which might even end up in a natural history museum: He was pretty proud of the last few extractions) that just left the meat. A lot of meat. Given the way the other bugs avoided the Glittershell's territory earlier, Spike had a feeling it was their natural predator... Just in case he set aside half of the meat for the future hatchlings. That still left a veritable mountain of assorted insectile proteins that would need to be tested, tried, and cooked for his going-away-for-now feast with the Dogs.

Spike reiterated to himself: He was about to start testing out recipes based on bug bits and rocks in order to feed himself and a bunch of displaced Diamond Dogs.

'...Dang it. I'm not allowed to rag on Twilight for her weird life anymore, am I?'

- - - -

In the end things went more smoothly than expected: Most of his effort went into preparing the ingredients, making and serving the meal were trivial after. 'Braised Bermite with Bauxite' was an immediate hit, and while it took a bit more to catch on? Even the 'Marinated Malachite Mountain Crawler' got cleaned out in the long run. Spike didn't bother keeping (many) excess portions, both because his pony friends probably wouldn't dig it and because the buffs were pretty niche.

'Digging it' was really the operative phrase: The Bermite dish raised carrying capacity while the Crawler improved stonework and tunneling. Fantastic stuff for Diamond Dogs, fitting for Spike's niche... Not super helpful for anypony he knew. Come to think of it Applejack might appreciate the hauling power, but she also might take offense at the idea that she'd need help with that.

It felt right on a couple of levels (scheduling, personal, convenience, dramatism) to head back to town just as dawn broke. To fill the intervening hours Spike sat down with the Diamond Dogs (the ones that weren't sleeping or working) to try his hand at the local entertainment. With how abruptly they left behind their real home they hadn't exactly brought a lot of things to do... But if there was one thing he'd learned, it was that all thinking beings were driven to play and creative endeavors.

That was how the cultural exchange began: On the outskirts of a village that rarely made the news for reasons other than monster attacks, in temporary tunnels under vast barrens. A dragon traded dogs his food and advice in return for their palm tricks and dice, swapped modern music for mole-manic myths, taught them how to roleplay and learned in turn how to play-fight. He went out into the open air hours later, saying his goodbyes quickly and without much concern.

After all, he'd be back real soon.

Author's Note:

Chapter 99
Zero Hour: Part 18
- OR -
Disassembly, Departure

PreviousChapters Next