• Published 13th Oct 2019
  • 12,708 Views, 2,779 Comments

Spike of All Trades - Ariamaki



"Wouldn't it be great if life were like a game?", some people ask. Spike can definitively answer... "Maybe."

  • ...
43
 2,779
 12,708

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 49: Bookend

Spike felt a good bit of (shared) pride as Twilight voraciously tore into the huge slab of tamale, periodically levitating over a mouthful of salad before washing it all down with one of his (gemless) juleps. She sat in content silence while eating, giving him two opportunities. First he gave her a basic run-down of The Gamer as he understood it: The fact that she was busy eating forestalled any questions that could interrupt his rundown. Second, he took a moment to step out of the kitchen and copy her character sheet onto an easel page.

Unlike with the Crusaders before, he had a lot more Observe to lean on, as well as Behind the Curtain... And less of a compulsion to hide details. Not only would Twilight want to research every single avenue of his power as soon as possible, but they had grown up together starting on the shared day of his hatching and her acquiring her Cutie Mark. There was very little they had to hide from each other after all that.

"Spike, this was phenomenal. And given the entire Library doesn't smell like a melange of spiced corn dough and squash, I'm going to guess you collaborated with Pinkie Pie on this?"

"Got it in one: I went over to meet with her pretty early in the day, we threw the zacahuil together, and then that cooked while I was going every-"

He heard Twilight's fork clatter onto the plate and stepped away from the kitchen's entrance so she could come skidding out of it a moment later.
"Really? But the zacahuil is a preserved cultural secret of-"

"The Minotaurs, I know! Pinkie did say she 'worked very hard' to learn it. Let's just hope she means actual hard work and not like, breaking and entering. I'd hate to be an accomplice to food crime."

That got her laughing... Laughter which trailed off when she saw what he was working on.
"Heeheehhh... Oh. So you can even see a kind of statistical profile?"

Spike nodded and put on the last few touches before switching from ink to an erasable graphite.
"Yeah, although like I said earlier? The copacetic name would be 'character sheet', given the source."

"...I really do owe you that apology for how I brushed you aside this morning."

"Eh, thinking about all the stuff I've been dismissive about over the years? I get it. Plus, you were probably nervous about your big day, eh?"

Twilight blushed at that, but she didn't move to correct him either.
"That aside, on top of the apology I do believe I promised we'd 'do science' to this whole thing: Although for once you're ahead of me on that!"

"Hah! Yeah, that's one way to put it. And this is a good starting point for that science: These are your stats, as I see them. Want some baselines for comparison?"

"If you'd be so kind."

That put things back into a footing they were more accustomed to. Spike started drawing out a few more sheets as he went, periodically moving over to Twilight's again in order to underline particularly interesting details. Lack of details in some cases: For whatever reason (although he had a good guess already) a lot of Twilight's sheet wasn't showing up for him in quite the same way as other ponies.

Twilight poked a hoof towards the top of the sheet, at her core attributes.
"These are basically the O+O statistics... I think. I'm a bit rusty on all the different editions."

"Yup: Give or take. The numbers and the scaling are both way off, but most of the names and functions are the same."

"...I'm noticing some conspicuous blanks elsewhere on the sheet."

"Well, you are level 31: I met some of Rarity's relatives earlier (long story, we'll get there) and they were practically in the 40s... while I was still only level one at the time. I couldn't see anything off of them, and while it didn't hit me at the time, I think it's based on the level gap. I'm Level 13 now, so even if you did gain four levels since this morning-"

"I'm sorry to keep doing the straight-mare bit but I WHAT since this morning?"

"Your title wasn't the only change from when you left: You were Level 27 when I woke you up."

She turned away from him at that, letting her mane cover her face entirely.
"Oh. Alright. So... moving on for now? Please?"

"Sure thing: Surprising nopony at all, your level isn't the only outlier. INT is out of control, and your mana is absolutely unreal. A normal pony's baseline, and my baseline this morning, would be five points of MP to every point of INT. I got a perk that doubles that and I can train my base with meditation, so if I compare the numbers... You must have several similar perks, multiplicative to each other, to have this much mana. I mean, you’re well into the next digit."

There wasn't even a perceptible blink as she did the math herself, just a moment where she turned to face the sheet and then a near-instant nod. That INT value wasn’t for show: She was terrifying in her field, something that always filled Spike with pride. It was one thing to have his closest family be such important ponies... but learning from Twilight, a pony basically defined by her knowledge? He recognized what a fantastic perk that was for a growing dragon. It also made explaining things infinitely easier, since once she got on board with the problem it often took only seconds for her to catch up to the details... Pinkie Sense and other oddities aside.

"My VIT, STR, DEX... Vitality, Strength, Dexterity? All better than the baseline minimum..."

"I think it's only a technical minimum: LUK at least, I've seen lower than 10 before."

"... Interesting. But my physical stats are only better than baseline minimum, and barely at that."

Spike did his best to shrug without messing up the new sheet he was copying out: His own. Things had definitely changed since this morning, even if he ignored the gigantic heap of unspent points.
"We've talked about that before Twilight: Your physical prowess isn't what makes you exceptional any more than I'm exceptional because of my height."

That seemed to cheer her up and pique her curiosity, as she started eyeing his new form.
"Speaking of which! I see a certain somedragon has picked up more than a few inches in my absence."

"Had to happen sometime, right? That's what you always said anyw-"

He couldn't finish before she pulled him into a hug, resting her muzzle directly into the crook of his shoulder and his neck. It let him feel, rather than hear, her shuddering sigh and deep breath.
"I'm sorry. I messed up badly this morning, and probably before that, and-"

"Ah! Nope. No self-recrimination, that helps nopony. Or, uh, so I've been told. Let's just... finish the little statistical overview and then talk about things. Would it help if we went to the couch?"

"Yes."

He dutifully turned towards the side room they had set aside for their longer talks. It was easier for both of them to do this kind of thing in a quiet, secluded, and comfortable place. Even at the best of times Twilight Sparkle wasn't the most extroverted pony, and when it came to talking about her own hang-ups and problems... Well, Spike had eventually decided they needed somewhere other than her bed to have those conversations, or they would be back to the days where she just never got out of bed.

Before he left, he put one last touch on the new copy of his character sheet: His signature, spat and shaped in green flames held in place with Stagnet.

Name: Spike
Class: The Gamer
Title: Number One Assistant

Level: Lv 13
HP: 327/327
MP: 413/413

STR: 17 (19) (-) (+)
DEX: 17 (19) (-) (+)
VIT: 17 (19) (-) (+)
INT: 17 (19) (-) (+)
WIS: 17 (19) (-) (+)
LUK: 17 (19) (-) (+)

POINTS: 72 (Confirm?)

[Gamer's Mind], [Gamer's Body], [Observe], [Cooking], [Earthshaper], [Dragon's Claws], [Omphaloskepsis], [Dragon's Heart], [Dragon's Mind], [Dragon's Breath], [Cantus], [Stagnet], [Dragon's Hoard], [Balanced Soul], [Exposure], [Craft], [Intimidate], [Dragon's Scales], [Dragon's Bones], [Dragon's Kitchen], [Susurration], [Layer]

Internal Alchemy 45%
[???] 3%
[???] 3%
[???] 3%
Sense Danger 80%
Detect Bloodthirst 80%

Author's Note:

Well there we go: Epilogue and wrap-up quadruple-sized chapter next week, and then we'll begin the prep period for Arc II! Hope you're all holding on, given the circumstances at the time I'm posting this chapter.

PreviousChapters Next