• Published 13th Oct 2019
  • 12,712 Views, 2,779 Comments

Spike of All Trades - Ariamaki



"Wouldn't it be great if life were like a game?", some people ask. Spike can definitively answer... "Maybe."

  • ...
43
 2,779
 12,712

PreviousChapters Next
Zero Hour: Part 10

Author's Note:

Chapter 91
Zero Hour: Part 10
- OR -
Pleas, Plans, Perceptions

By the time the two of them ironed everything out and then broke the party, the other Diamond Dogs had cleared the room. Now it was just Spike, Piercing, and King Rudy in the chamber. There was a long period of silence where all three of them kept an eye on each other... Spike wasn’t sure if it was his uncommon species or just their general presence that had gotten the King’s interest, but Rudy did keep looking back and forth between them in the quiet. On top of that, the presiding royal clearly had something he wanted to say. He kept offhandedly twisting at his ring, which got Spike's curiosity going. He decided to Observe the jewelry, but...


An aura of regnal propriety comprehensively blocks your vision of the target.
The current source of the aura has made an attempt to trace your actions...
The attempt has failed due to the nature of [The Gamer].


Crap. That last line would have been great news under normal circumstances, but there were only three people in the entire room. One was the ring's owner and another was a pegasus, so that only left one obvious source... But Spike felt like he was a pretty decent judge of character, and true to his assumptions? King Rudy only reacted with a brief flinch before giving him a broad toothy smile.

"A pleasure to see you have more than one trick to your name, 'Spike'."

"I figured I should show a little initiative before we talk about circumstances, right?"

"Not a bad plan, as far as they go. As for our circumstances... Woof."

Rudy began to explain exactly what had been happening, laying it out for his guests with little diversion or digression. It went something like this as far as Spike could tell:


Over the last year, the Dogs have been dealing with increasingly bad insect population problems. At first it was just the growth of existing groups, then the introduction of new species. They never could figure out the reason, especially given the intelligence of the average Diamond Dog. Even if there was no reason? There still had to be a source. They never found that either. Now they have been driven out of their own warrens, their homes, by one particular monster bug.

This specific monster’s no joke, and isn’t just a monster in the general 'strange Equestrian fauna' sense. The thing’s vicious and gigantic and hostile to everything it meets, even the other insects. Perhaps this was the source of the problem: An ur-predator creating its own sphere of influence wherever it felt fit. There were even rumored sightings of something worse, maybe more instances of the first creature. Either option would be unacceptable, and they were already having problems prior.

The Diamond Dogs have no intention of taking the entire situation lying down: Even a small community like theirs has its dignity. A problem like this was too big to solve overnight, but without outside assistance? Rudy is worried that it can't be solved period.

So the King found himself willing to talk, and bargain, and make a deal: He-and-his will stay put and go into a defensive stance rather than retreating. In return they need regular help clearing the infestation until they can push it back and take it out at the source. Sources plural is more likely given that there are multiple warring breeds causing problems, possibly including more than just the two which Spike and Piercing had already encountered.

All this was predicated on the idea of not taking the fight to the single enormous monster bug, but instead clearing out the other insects it was likely treating as food-slash-competition. That would force it to either retreat, show itself directly, or grow weaker over time. No matter which way it turned out and any way you cut it, those were positive outcomes for the Dogs.

Ideally they would need a small enough group to not rouse the insects before the assault, with bodies compact enough to fit into the tunnels without disturbing them... Not only that, but despite the small size required for safe entry? The team would then need enough power to actually take out the enemies and nests, then enough speed and/or survivability to get out alive after doing so.


"Which makes it convenient I came along. Like, not happy convenient but more like disturbing convenient."

Rudy’s muzzle twisted itself into a frown.
"...I had just been considering the same thing, yes. I assume from your reaction that you meet all of the requirements I mentioned on your own?"

"One individual, compact body, high power, fast and survivable? I'd like to think so, yeah."

"Do you consider that a problem?"

Spike took a minute to compose his thoughts before replying.
"I can't exactly explain my reasoning, because it's tied up in some personal stuff I've got going on. But to make a long story short, this entire thing sounds like a situation that was set up for me on purpose. Not to blame you, of course: You're the main victims here! It's just that you being victims for real doesn't mean this isn't also a setup."

King Rudy looked over at Piercing and shrugged.
"I assume your partner is not prone to paranoia?"

"Can't say I know him particularly well yet, but I'd doubt it. This really does sound a little too pat."

"Understood. In which case I will have to trouble you to contact your Princesses after all, since we-"

Spike raised a claw into the air between the two of them, interjecting with his best neutral expression.
"Hold on!"

He stepped closer to the throne, trying to hold back his smile. It was one thing to make this interjection but it was another thing entirely if he actually looked happy about it. But this was...
"I never said I wasn't going to help. I was just kind of... pointing out the details? Making sure we all had that possibility understood, before moving forward."

Piercing pulled him aside and started whispering.
"Kid, you're saying you think it's a trap but you want to do it anyways?"

"Pretty much? Trap is a strong word actually! I said set up but I meant it more like... Designed. The way somebody might design a scenario in a game or a session in a campaign."

The pegasus' eyes caught the light as he narrowed his gaze at Spike.
"...OK. I buy it. Get Luna's approval before you do anything stupid, natch, but I'll step back and let the two of you handle negotiations."

To his credit, Rudy did not question their discussion, since it obviously tied back into the 'personal stuff' that Spike had already deflected about before. Instead he nodded and clapped his paws together, the noise reverberating loudly in the open chamber. As if signalled (probably because they were) a group of Dogs led by Rover came through the door in back.

Rather than opening the party chat again, Mr. Ammo just leaned down to Spike and whispered.
"Double checking: You very sure?"

"Real people are at risk, I can certainly manage to survive or escape if there is a reason behind this all, and... I mean... Even if it's not a quest? There's the potential for a lot of growth and gains on top of helping these Dogs. And if it is a pre-planned quest being created for my sake, then I'm even further from understanding my power than I thought."

Piercing Ammunition clapped a hoof onto his shoulder and gave him a little smile. They didn’t know each other very well yet, but the gesture meant a lot coming from one of Rarity’s relatives (and Luna’s Guard).

"Understood. For what it's worth, even if anypony else disapproves? I think this is the right call."

"Heh, thanks."

As the new Dogs filed into the room, Spike started using Observe again. Cautiously at first, avoiding anything within a decent range of the King. Then more liberally, checking out individual pieces of clothing and the like. Spike wanted to get a good idea of what was going on with everything in the room while the King held court, because he'd stumbled onto an idea.

The circumstances certainly seemed too pat to be anything but a setup, but this was the strip of Equestria just on the border of Ponyville. Weirder things than these were much more normal in this territory. Plus, if he was being honest? He'd picked up so many abilities lately (with no sign of stopping) that lots of situations would look tailor-made for his skillset. But that also meant he could use those same skills to his advantage, including one of the least-called-upon in the whole lot so far...

"Indra's Net"

PreviousChapters Next