• Published 13th Oct 2019
  • 12,708 Views, 2,779 Comments

Spike of All Trades - Ariamaki



"Wouldn't it be great if life were like a game?", some people ask. Spike can definitively answer... "Maybe."

  • ...
43
 2,779
 12,708

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter ????????

The sound, although he couldn't describe it or remember it if you asked him, jarred Spike into conscious perception again. Nothing was familiar around him, not his room or his bed or any other part of the Library: He was somewhere else entirely. The last thing he could remember was talking with Twilight, and now...

He whirled in place, trying to take in everything around him: It didn't help. The world was an overwhelming castrophany of stimuli, one terrible display after another. The sky was black as jet, the ground was white as bone, and everywhere in between howled with a million chaotic shapes and shades. Only a few places of seeming stability caught his eye... Blades shone in the distance, the land covered in indistinct shapes that he parsed by instinct as hilts and pommels. Closer to claw there was fire and there was flame, raw combustion in all its uncountable hues. And beneath him?

No one learns of

Water lapped at his feet... No, it was something like water. Yet this substance was entirely without the real thing’s inviting warmth, nor even a refreshing chill. It was dull and present but nothing more; liquid without cause or function. The air itself was thick too, laden with sounds so arbitrary as to be meaningless. But those peaking and variable noises may as well have been silence compared to the constant current that ran underneath, a tone unlike any he'd ever heard. No, not a tone. It was a voice, speaking words in a steady cadence, and it sounded a little like this:

the absence of flames.

The uncountable sparks of fire went out all at once, more colors than anyone had ever known all gone in an instant. Emotionally he felt terrified and dispirited, but physically and spiritually he felt warmed in response; filled with something smokeless but still burning, bright burning. Spike had done nothing yet he knew he had taken those flames into himself, willingly or not. Fire in the belly...

No promise sweeter

His first thought was to figure out what happened. His first instinct was to run and never stop... and we all know which side wins in a situation like this. Waving claws and scampering feet quickly felt insufficient so he dropped to all fours, sprinting like a scaled jungle cat. His tail lashed out behind him with each leap, even as another set of words rose up out of the calamity again.

than a vanishing act.

In the distance, the hillock covered in swords vanished into thin air, streaming upwards like ice sublimating in a pan. He was filled, again, with a sense of rightness and improvement: This time it was the cold surety of metal, the perfection of industry and the work of artificers long since forgotten. Despite that feeling he wept as he ran, eyes blurred with tears. Hurtling around obstacles, he turned sharply to find some new destination.

No morning colder

At some point the earth and sky had exchanged themselves, flipping and twisting to leave his claws buried in black loamy soil and the sky filled with blinding white. The ‘water’ had fled from both sides when his attention was turned away, leaving everything stark and pure. Spike alone stood out with significance in this wide and vertiginous expanse.

than the ones we’ve lost.

And then he didn’t even have that, as the air and sky were obliterated. Everything vanished, and in their wake was left a sea, a sky, a land... An expanse of infinite grey sparks, floating and shifting. Some little scraps of pure white and black could be seen within the tangle of strange patterns, and Spike could feel the old world inside of him, the fire and the blades. But those were inside of him, and outside of him was nothing of substance: The only thing left was himself.

Nothing sharper

This was it. He only had these few moments before the voice carried forward inexorably and he himself would be lost, pulled into his own infinite gravity well. His whole life had been defined by voracious consumption, taking in gems and knowledge and stories and information, and now it ends the same way it began: In a freak burst of magic, unexpected by anyone.

than the God-sent truth-




...Nothing.

But not the nothing he expected.

Instead it was stillness: A freezing in the nature of things. He was stopped, and so was everything (which is to say nothing) around him. The only motion came from a hole in the distance, so very far away... It almost seemed to be a familiar shape. A squashed curve of pink and purple, rimmed with a bit of brown and a flash of white, like a muzzle with a...

“Or is that last line supposed to be ‘than a serpent’s tooth’? I can never keep those straight!”


-and the sky opened up.


Spike had only met Discord in the flesh once, during Twilight’s failed attempt to use him as ‘the new Rainbow Dash’ when Discord broke free... He had seen the statue several times since then in its new home much deeper in the Canterlot gardens. And the creature in front of him was oddly familiar, even if those memories were years old by now. A seamlessly stitched amalgam of some dozen or more creatures, primarily the major species that walked Equestria: A bit of pony here, some dragon there, griffon, minotaur and so forth. His grin was wicked and his eyes were wide as Spike slowly tried to orient himself in the strange void they inhabited.

“Oh Spikey-wikey. What a shame you’ve found yourself here. Terrible nights, curses, all that.”

“...What?”

“I was trying to make a copacetic reference! After all, you’re running around with that new-fangled mish-mash of Gamer powers, I figured I might as well drop some gamer cred into the conversation.”

“Right, sorry, trying logic with the entity of chaos. I meant 'what is this place and what are you doing here'!?”

The not-a-dragon (that distinction felt important, for some reason) casually filed his claws against the sparks in the air.
“Passing along some bits and bobs: Black holes and revelations, that sort of thing. The usual!”

Spike knew something was strange, but he couldn’t put his claw to it. It was more than likely just the presence of Discord being Discord... Wait. How, actually?
“And you got here...”

“Oh don’t worry your little head about that: Just think of me as a convenient mental scapegoat, with an emphasis on the goat! Odds are quite high that I’m not here at all, after all.”

“Right. Those sure were words. Cutting to the chase: What message are you so eager to tell me?”

Discord’s smile was wide and sharp, literally: The edges of the space around his head puckered like paper under a knife and then started to ooze a strange technicolor mist.

“Spike? You’re a mouth. A gaping maw with legs and a snarky personality. Certainly, you chew your food up real nice and spit it back out for the sake of others... But just because a mother bird is feeding its chicks, that means nothing to the worms it plucked or the flowers it crushed.”

What?”

When Discord’s mouth opened again the sound that came out was Spike’s own voice magnified a hundred, a million, ten trillion times. It was sound as a solid force, crushing and unquestionable. In any real environment that tremendous proclamation would have been the end of all things, but here it was ‘merely’ so powerful that it ripped away the remnants of Spike and the world around him. The echoes alone cast the breadth and depth of his perceptions to the void. The sound was so tremendous and terrible that it even shredded its speaker, Discord’s face and body blown away, drifting off in cartoonish shreds and tatters.

Despite that, the inchoate sound started to take form.

To make words.

They said:

Listen! Everything I love, I will devour...

- - - - - - - - -

Author's Note:

We resume in one week's time. Meanwhile... This. :V

PreviousChapters Next