• Published 13th Oct 2019
  • 12,708 Views, 2,779 Comments

Spike of All Trades - Ariamaki



"Wouldn't it be great if life were like a game?", some people ask. Spike can definitively answer... "Maybe."

  • ...
43
 2,779
 12,708

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 48: Returned, Revealed

That... that was a lot. Too much, even. Rather than try to take in those changes logically, Spike decided to grasp them in practice. As soon as he resumed meditating he felt the upsurge in power: His magic seemed like it was refined, made clearer: A substance that had been purified and elevated to a concentrated form. It also recovered much more quickly than before, and letting that go to waste would be sad. As such, Spike decided this could be his final review before the big test.

At first he directed the power into his 'Dragon's' skills, one after another in the same order he found them. Enhancing his claws, bolstering his stats, turning on his magic vision, lazily expelling a cloud of orange fire... Stretching his legs (and the rest of him), raising his defenses, letting resistances soak away the remaining damage from his growth.

Then he tried out Layer for the first time, since his MP was nearly full even after all of that. Each buff cast on himself felt potent in a way the Satisfying Meals hadn't: The energy was concentrated and put into play directly, instead of spread out and delivered by a physical source. As the description promised, the effects stacked together without any issue.

Spike's perception gained new clarity and stretched further away (enough so that he could vaguely tell the train was pulling into the station, but in his meditative haze he couldn't tell you how he knew that), his movements accelerated sharply, and his health recovered fast enough that the dings and cracks from the Dragon's Hoard weren't lasting even a second.

If anypony had been watching him he'd have looked like quite the spectacle right now. Spike could imagine how he seemed from the outside. A vaguely-familiar dragon, pulled and stretched into proportions easily double his original size. Flame pooled and flickered around his gaping maw, heat radiated off every one of his burnished scales. Wicked claws flickered and shone at each tip of ten long fingers, his hands the size of a full-grown pony's head.

The creature stirred in sudden jerks and bursts of high-speed movement, and despite its eyes being closed it seemed to be... waiting for something. And yet the absurdity of it all was that, even with his imposing frame and strangeness? He was just standing by a bench and waiting for the train like anypony else. He had made himself into easily the most shocking thing in Ponyville (at this exact moment in time, anyways), and-

"Spike?"

One pair of eyelids flew open, and then another. Twilight was standing near the open door of the closest train car, her few pieces of luggage levitating behind her. The angle was strange, she was so much lower than usual... It was like looking down at her from a ladder at the Library. If it weren't for the one thing that had changed about her while she was gone? Spike would have taken a moment to appreciate the absurdity of that. As it was? He immediately stopped everything he was doing, unfurling one buff after another and letting his Hoard pull him back down to his (new) normal height. Eye to eye with Twilight, ignoring the trepidation in her eyes... He looked over her head.

[Devoted Lover]
Twilight Sparkle
LV 31

"...Welcome back?"

Everything fell into place before Spike could think. A trip to Canterlot she hadn't told him about until the day-of, yet one that took an entire day from sunrise until deep in the evening. But it was also a trip Twilight had been prepared for: At least prepared enough to get new clothes from Rarity well in advance. Minimalist clothes, based on the things Rarity had said about using 'just a little' fabric. Celestia's letter had said that Twilight was coming, so they spent at least part of the day together, and now this change in her title... Even if Observe hadn't shown him a variety of status effects like Sealed by the Solar Sigil and Invictus Secundus, even if it hadn't displayed her class as Celestial Consort... He knew it.

This was the 'Proof'.


STORY ARC: My First Day As The Gamer
COMPLETED!

Reward: All Sub-Quest Rewards, All Quest Rewards, 50,000 EXP, 200 Bits, ???, ???, 'Proof'


What had been a modest shiver the first time he gained a level now hit like a full head-to-toe quake. An eruption of boxes flooded his vision, and he started going through them one by one: Twilight had made him wait all day, and he didn't want to call her out on the 'Proof' in public. He'd clear this up first and then they could go back home and talk things out over dinner.

The first handful of boxes were all levels, putting him up to 13 in total. It was a huge leap from this afternoon, and enormous compared to how he woke up. He'd gained even more points in all of his stats, more bits racked up alongside his earlier allowance and the matched-value from the fines... A skillbook appeared, but then whisked itself away just as quickly. He minimized the error message that came up as it did, since it wasn't a priority. Weird, sure. Priority? Not as much. The only things left (since his 'Proof' wasn't an object at all) were a few gems and a folded paper map... All of which reacted to his Quality Assurance skill.

Spike had taken a little time to do all of that, and was jarred out of his focus just as he finished.

"Spike, is everything-"

He quickly hammered shut all the rest of the UI pop-ups, turning towards his (there-is-no-word).
"Yeah! I mean, things are obviously a bit weird, but let's talk about that at home, alright?"

Twilight was clearly hesitating, and she scuffed one hoof along the ground and looked down at... Oh, she was looking to where his head height would have been, and was, when she left.
"Are you sure? Because-"

"I know why you went to Canterlot and I don't think you want to have that conversation out here."

She giggled, and it warmed his heart that even in this awkward situation her laughter was still as free and light as usual.
"Oh Spike, I was just-"

Rather than try to explain it the long way around, he just leaned forward and whispered her new title and watched for the reaction. He hadn't even gotten to the '-er' in 'Lover' when the color drained out of her face, and what had been a loose and casual smile turned into a manic rictus.
"AHHAHA WELL LET'S NOT WASTE ANY TIME THEN!"

He couldn't have wasted time even if he wanted to, since her next act was to abruptly teleport them both to the Library. He braced himself and tried to keep his eyes open during the process, hoping to see something of the nature of the advanced spell... But like every time, his eyes forced themselves closed as soon as they popped out of normal space and time, only reopening a half-second later as they arrived. Twilight was already levitating her bags up the stairs and trying not to hyperventilate.

"...Should I go get a paper bag?"

Twilight shook her head and dropped to her haunches, sitting on the floor and staring off into space. A moment passed, and another... Eventually she nodded to herself.
"I-it really says that about me?"

"Among other things, yeah: Want the entire list? I've gotten some practice writing down a pony's character sheet from the Crusaders earlier."

"The Cru- Right. Of course you did. Of course they did. And yes, I actually do want the entire list, although not right away. Can you remember it until later or should you write it down now? I'm not entirely certain how this..."

"I can't not remember it, I think: Picked up a skill for eidetic recall."

That got her attention, and she snapped her head over to look at him with gleaming eyes.
"Really? Oh Spike that's fantastic. I know this is all new and I shouldn't be thinking about the research applications already but think about the research applications!"

"Waaay ahead of you on that one... for once."

There was a moment of peaceable silence, and Spike could tell the earlier tension was dead. They had known each other for too long to let even something like this throw them off for longer than was totally necessary. He and Twilight were too close to break over something as measly as 'one of us has turned into a video game character and the other is sleeping with Equestria's god-ruler'...

"So you and Celestia, huh?"

"Wait it told you that part? I thought it just said Devoted Lover, not-"

Spike put a claw on her shoulder, really appreciating their new respective heights.
"It did, but first off: Who else would it be? What other pony, of all the ponies in Canterlot, could even think about being a match for you?"

She blushed at that but didn't stop him, instead just curling in on herself in a fit of embarrassment.
"Spiiike-"

"Also the nitty-gritty details in your status screen might have given me a bit too much nitty gritty, so unless somepony else is causing status effects with names like Invictus Secundus..."

She went quiet except for the sniffling, looking happy-yet-pensive: An introspective joy.
"That... It said that, too? That's quite flattering actually... Well. Yes, Celestia and I. Which means I suppose we both have a lot to talk about, huh?"

Spike nodded and pulled her towards the kitchen, glad for the segue.
"I was going to say 'you're darn straight we are', but then I realized you're now provably not!"

"That joke was awful! Did Pinkie rub off on you that much while I was gone?"

That innuendo was a reminder that whatever Gamer's Mind and Body did for him? Preventing a red-hot blush from creeping across his cheeks wasn't part of it. Twilight took her seat, giggling again, while he turned his face away and busied himself getting out the prepared food and snacks.
"W-well anyways, I saw this coming... sort of. The 'needing to talk' part at least. I went all out: Dig in!"

PreviousChapters Next