• Published 13th Oct 2019
  • 12,706 Views, 2,779 Comments

Spike of All Trades - Ariamaki



"Wouldn't it be great if life were like a game?", some people ask. Spike can definitively answer... "Maybe."

  • ...
43
 2,779
 12,706

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 63: Musical Manipulation

Putting their thoughts (and all the stuff Pinkie had brought) in order brought up some concerns. Twilight wanted to make as much progress as possible on learning the intricacies of her own MP, using her newly-enhanced maximums and the Party system's meters to better learn herself. Spike wanted to start putting his foot down on single-stat training, focusing on grinding his attributes as far as possible to figure out how soon he could meet the Story Arc's needs. And Pinkie... really just wanted to help, although she had big plans for some collaborative cooking along with Spike to get dinner ready for that night.

They had a wide spread of things they wanted to do, some of which involved cooperation and most of which needed them to work separately yet in the same space. At times they'd be moving from one concept to the other very quickly, and other times they'd focus on one thing for hours straight. Somehow they had to take advantage of the Party system, their supplies, each other, and their own niches all without any advance preparation.

"...Are you thinking what I'm thinking, Pinkie?"

"I think so Spike, but where are we going to get a one-mare-band on such short notice?"

"Uh. You brought one with you?"

Pinkie giggled and snorted, shouldering the harness of her instrument assemblage.
"Right! Haha."

Twilight looked at the two of them like they'd... Well, not like they'd grown second heads. More like they were Pinkie and Spike, which was entirely true but maybe more emphatic than usual. Spike pulled a scroll and ink out of his inventory and started jotting down ideas. Twilight probably couldn’t see his face from this angle, but he knew the smirk was audible in his voice.
"We're gonna need a montage."

"I. Yes. But. Alright, in the literary sense I can certainly agree that this would be the optimal scenario for that sort of thing. And there are records of Heartsongs producing effects of perceptive time dilation and significant increases in endurance and effectiveness... But are you saying you're going to try to force a montage?"

"Less force and more compose: Cantus has picked up a few songs from other ponies. All of those are original compositions they sang to themselves in times of need or high emotion. So... I figure if I'm the Gamer I might as well try to metagame myself."

It seemed like Twilight wanted to lecture him on the implausibility of that concept, but it was clear that her curiosity was going to win that fight. So rather than wait, Spike turned his impromptu lyric sheet towards Pinkie and began taking her notes on... notes, the musical kind. Within minutes they had a rough sketch of a first draft down. None of them were really songwriters in any meaningful capacity, Heartsongs aside. That much was made extremely obvious when Twilight wrinkled her nose at their lyrics sheet before eventually sighing in assent.

"Alright. We'll give it a try: Do you have a backup plan? I seem to remember you saying that the Cantus buff made a significant difference in training with the Crusaders."

He nodded, because that was the entire reason he was going out on this limb.
"I do, actually! When me and Pinkie were finishing up the tamale prep yesterday, I picked up a song that enhances Vitality, as well as Stamina recovery. It's not going to help us do more stuff in less time, but it should help us use the time we do have more efficiently."

"Good enough. In which case... Pinkie?"

The pink party pony put her prodigious pipes to the point of powering all the woodwinds and bellows in her rig. A few hoof-pumps, tail waggles, and mane-shakes at the strings and percussion later... They had a decent beat laid down for the lyrics to go on top of. He'd wait for the piece to come back around to the introduction (which was slower than the chorus and verses) and then they'd give this thing a shot.

Spike's opportunity came sooner than he expected, and he began forcing MP through his veins into the sequence that would trigger Cantus.

Sometimes you need to take some effort, and make your minutes count!

He could feel his magic trying to get a foothold in the music, a grip which slowly grew more steady. On the next line Twilight interjected with her part, and then Pinkie with hers, all right on the beat.

You've got a lot to do - and not much time - before you're down and out.

His MP was dwindling fast, so he began to fall into the Exposure-enhanced grip of meditation. Omphaloskepsis smoothed out the drop and he could tell it was starting to work. The effects were shaky, and slow... But it was working.

Working with friends can make it better, but if that's not enough?

Pinkie was smiling at him from behind her harmonica, Twilight had her Dissertation Face on, and they had eight hours between now and dinner. It was time to groove.

Work a song into it, a beat and a rhyme, and call reality's bluff!


Current Song: "Montage Song (Untitled Draft)" (+Growth, +EXP Gain, Minor Time Dilation)


Twilight was running an incredible number of calculations inside of her head, even as the magic around her kept dozens of objects in suspension. He could see hints of white light pouring out from the corners of her clenched eyelids, at least when he wasn't looking away. Pinkie had started him off with a series of stretches, crunches, lunges and lifting exercises. A week ago his body would have been an inflamed mess and he'd be aching or bedridden for days after just ten minutes. Now?

Your Strength has increased by one! Your Dexterity has increased by one!

Now there was nothing but blue sky ahead.

It's a montage song!
With composure, speed and grace.

Pinkie was so glad that Spike had brought her into this early. She'd been having sort of a gloomy-doomy mood lately and it was really good for her to get out and do things. Not usual things, those only made it worse: She'd decided to make the zacahuil on a random weekday for a reason, after all! And just like the tamale, this was exciting and new and extremely fun! For her, at least: Twilight had been spending the entire musical number doing mental brainy things, and now even Spike was reading... Although when he shot her a thumbs-up with one clawed hand, she decided it was appropriate to cheer even for things like that.


A skill has been created through a special action! Through lexivorous consumption a skill to inundate the mind with data, [Photographic Speedreading] has been created!


We've got a lot to do!
Against the clock we're in a race.

Unlocking a technique for reading as quickly as he could stabilize the text in front of his eyes... The timing was too good. He'd already been suspecting that the 'engine' of his game was trying to force him down certain avenues, and this cinched it. Either that, or Equestria's natural musical montage magic was interacting with his powers to produce appropriate dividends. He didn't particularly care either way: If Spike's engine was taking him for a ride? He'd strap himself into the seat and plunge down the road care-free, just to see where it took him.

We have to learn fast, our efforts need to last!
We've gotta stand fast or we'll end up last.

She'd 'accidentally' bumped into Twilight's levitating objects the first seven times, if anypony asked. Asking would have been silly because of course Pinkie wasn’t doing it on purpose... And it felt like her purple pal wasn't participating, and today had been way too alliterative for that to be OK! Until she realized that Twilight was the one doing it on purpose, bringing stuff near Pinkie just to mess with her! At that point it became a game. Or maybe it had been a game from the start and she'd been the last one to realize it for a change? It didn't matter much given the workout she was getting, chasing down the quill that had just drawn a crude moustache on her flank.

Cross-rhyming a word against itself absolutely breaks a rule!
But when the work is experimental, not trying makes you the fool!

It would have been easy to assume that Pinkie's influence had somehow corrupted Spike, when he first suggested trying to force a Heartsong. But given that his 'Cantus' ability allowed him to initiate them at will with known songs... Twilight was willing to give it a shot. And yes, her heart hadn't really been in it at first. But she noticed the change in the flow of time by the first chorus, and at that point it was undeniable. They had a lot of research to do in the near future... But for now, she was getting ever-closer to pinning down the value of her own MP, so that could wait. And in the meantime she could enjoy herself while working: She decided to give Pinkie a few backup dancers during the next chorus, in the form of animated spellbooks.

It's a montage song!
Doing many things at once
We've got so much to do!
Even if we're weighed down by lunch.

Pinkie slowed down as she came off the chorus, lying on her back and kicking her hoofsies up in the air: She really was feeling a bit burdened, which is saying a lot giving her usual appetite!

"I think the midline in the second chorus should end on crunch for a better rhyme: Somethin’ like ‘Time pressure, working in crunch’ or that sorta thing. Can we try starting over?"

He took a deep breath, while Twilight was still fully engrossed in her own research and had kept up the song without really thinking about it... Which seemed to be enough to keep the Cantus-controlled Heartsong going, even if Spike himself had stopped.

"I don't know if we'll have to restart... Keep the music live, hum a few bars, and let me try something."

Spike drew his mana back through his body, and began marshalling its flow more carefully. He'd noticed that the recorded lyrics in the menu for Cantus were strange: Differences in color and typography seemed to imply some level of... Criticism? Was his ability conscious? No, it would be more accurate to call it subconscious: His subconscious, given form through the power. That would certainly explain the system’s sense of humor.

Adjustments were made and corrections applied, and he couldn't help but grin when he saw the text change to a more consistent hue. He added an instrumental break behind Twilight's interjection about the fast/fast last/last rhymes, tightened up the second chorus, wrote a new verse... And then Spike's mana started slipping away in huge drafts, drawn down different paths adjacent to the old ones. He was reinvigorated, and could see that it was having the same effect on Twilight and Pinkie.

Spike didn’t even have to communicate the change in the lyrics to his partners: They both clearly picked up on the adjustments, some instinct of Heartsong or a natural effect of the ‘Accompanied’ mechanic. Either way, the song began to naturally morph into its new form during the next instrumental solo.

"Alright, so that worked. Second verse, not the same as the first, let's go ponies!"


By adapting the means of [Internal Alchemy] without the skill, your Mastery increases by 10%

Current Song: "Montage Song (Second Draft)" (++Growth, +EXP Gain, Moderate Time Dilation)


And the beat went on, and on, and on...

PreviousChapters Next