• Published 13th Oct 2019
  • 12,713 Views, 2,779 Comments

Spike of All Trades - Ariamaki



"Wouldn't it be great if life were like a game?", some people ask. Spike can definitively answer... "Maybe."

  • ...
43
 2,779
 12,713

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 53: Metal Map

Later that day yet again, putting us back in alignment with the passage of linear time...

Spike ticked off their morning accomplishments on his fingers one at a time.
"OK. Spars done, warning to the Princesses done, gem and buff testing done, dream discussed, breakfast cleared, Pinkie invited, I think that's everything handled?"

"Well you do still need to clean all the dishes and flatware from last night and this morning-"

"...after we check out the rewards I got from my 'story arc' quest last night!"

He watched as the warring sides of Twilight's brain (in this instance, 'Cleanliness and OCD' in the blue corner versus 'Curiosity and Selflessness' in the red corner) slug it out until one challenger reigned victorious. It only took about three seconds, but it was always three very fun seconds.
"...Well played. Alright, lay it on me. Or lay it on the table rather, Mr. Stickler About Phrasing."

The last twenty-odd hours had been a lot of a rush, the last few especially: Despite the elation when he had finished his first Story Arc? In the end Spike had just shoved all the popup windows and quest rewards into the equivalent of his 'Read It Later' shelf. Now he brought them all back to the forefront, messages and objects alike. There was a folded map, a few gems, a beautiful plain wooden box (smooth and curved like a clamshell), plus a piece of paper... That last bit seemed wrong. He could have sworn there was a skillbook involved. Well, maybe the various UI messages would explain that difference...

"Alright, do you want me to copy out the interface stuff or just recite it?"

"Recitation is fine! You did say there's a log, after all. We can get copies for my records later."

There was indeed a Log menu in his status screen, although its thoroughness might have been a side benefit of Eidetic Memory. Why jump to that conclusion? The Log contained (in a very well-organized and searchable tab system) every single item description, Observe, menu screen, and popup he had ever gotten as The Gamer. Perfect recall made even, uh, perfecter.

"So I got quite a few levels, putting me up to thirteen. A bunch of my Dragon's skills went up by at least four or five levels each: Maybe they tie into my main XP somehow? My raw stats went up from some of the sub-quest rewards, so they're seventeen across the board. Skills... Oh."

"'Oh'? Abrupt unexplained 'Oh' is usually not a good way to end a sentence, Spike: We've talked about unnecessary ominousity!"

"Well I was just... Look, it's better if I show you this part."

He grabbed a notebook and began sketching out the boxes he could see, and the messages in them. All of which confirmed... Well, the good news is his skill growth was probably going to stay just as fast as yesterday. The bad news was that his skill acquisition might take a turn...


The 40 WIS requirement of [Omphaloskepsis] has been waived due to special circumstances.
The 50 DEX requirement of [Dragon's Claws] has been waived due to special circumstances.
The 44 STR, DEX, VIT, INT, WIS, LUK requirements for [Balanced Soul] have been waived...


On and on the messages went, covering nearly half of the skills he had acquired: Every single one of the Dragon's skills, his meditation, his Balanced Soul, all of them were technically out of reach in terms of the required stats... That had been the real 'boost up the ladder' from the Story Arc of his first day. Not boosted experience or skill growth, but abnormal skill gain. He'd gotten access to a lot of things that should have been well beyond him in order to make up for the long portion of his life where he'd been... less than up-to-snuff.

The only message out of that lot, different from the others, stuck out like a sore thumb:
The 50 WIS requirement of [Dragon's Breath] has been waived due to prior personal affinity.

So his breath had been something natural for him... Maybe related to his species or subspecies as a dragon? They still didn't know nearly enough about draconic biology or magic to be sure, but he (along with Twilight and Celestia) had decided long ago that it wasn't a pressing concern.

"...Alright Spike, that 'oh' was justified. This is great news though! You got some very intriguing and potent skills early, and we know that your growth and progression from here won't be nearly as limited as we'd feared."

"I guess... But what if it's way harder to get skills? These are all fantastic, but I'll be the first to admit I like having more options when possible."

Twilight shrugged (which was always an interesting motion on a pony) at that.
"Then I guess you'll have more reason to double-down on statistical training, so you can be up to scratch for any new skills you come across. It might even speed up some of those Mastery items!"

"...I can live with that. In which case, moving on to the tangible rewards..."

Spike scrolled until he found the message that correlated with him being granted the skillbook from his big story arc yesterday... and the log item immediately following that was an error message.

Due to your skill source affinity, the acquisition of skillbooks has been delayed indefinitely.

"...I knew my power has been behaving like a real game in a lot of ways, but I didn't expect that to include release dates getting pushed back!"

Didn't he already have a skillbook though? He'd found one when using Quality Assurance on his inventory full of random stuff from the morning preparations... That was right, Able Actor's Advice. And it was where he left it in his Inventory, between a flashlight and a blanket.

"Lemme try something. Keep an eye out Twilight, this might go weird-ish."

Spike attempted to retrieve the book... And out came a single sheet of paper. The book itself was still clearly in his Inventory, but now he was holding something that looked like nothing more than a promotional poster. It advertised the book in gaudy colors and made some generic promises about the potential power of it, and had a release date of 'To Be Determined / Not Applicable'. On second glance, there was another matching flyer for the book he should have gotten from the First Day quest rewards in a different Inventory slot.

"Should I have seen something other than you retrieving some paper?"

"...Apparently not, although it's news to me. I guess I don't have an 'affinity' for skillbooks?"

"Well that doesn't seem right! We're all about books here in the Sparkle hou... I mean, at the Golden Oaks Library."

"Channeling your mother again?"

"Hush. But seriously... How do skillbooks usually work in video games? Is there something that would stop you from using them because you're a dragon?"

"Probably not... You just use them, they go away, you get the ski-"

Twilight's eyes narrowed.
"They what?"

"...go away? They're pretty much always consumable."

There was a brief flicker of orange sparks near the bottom of Twilight's mane as she shouted.
"Why!? They're books!"

"For balance purposes, I assume? They don't want you just teaching the entire party some rad skill because you found one copy of it. So the book gets destr-"

"Don't even say it!"

His (yet-invented relationship word) was huffing and puffing and trying not to have a minor panic attack over even the hypothetical destruction of a book... And yeah, given that? Spike could sort of see why his power had made the executive decision not to do skillbooks after all: It was better for his continued health if nothing else.

"M-moving on... I've got a map!"

That seemed to calm the unicorn down a little, and she looked over at it.
"Well, that's a map of the mountains underneath Canterlot... With two Xs on it?"

It only took a second for the facts to come together, and when they did he couldn't stop smiling.
"...Sweet Celestia I got a real treasure map!"

"Yarrharr and such, I suppose: Does it say what's at the marks?"

"Oh Twilight, you're so silly: Half the point of a treasure map is the surprise at the end!"

She was clearly unimpressed, but that was probably because she lacked true pirate spirit.
"Uh huh. And the rest?"

"Of the point of a treasure map, or of the loot? Because-"

"Spike."

"Fine, fine! But just you wait: Pinkie will be excited about my map."

"Spike, Pinkie would be excited by a crudely drawn map of her own house. She is excited, as a base state. She defaults to excitement."

He'd never thought of it that way, but at the same time...
"...That'd actually be kind of a fun gift for her at some point. I need to write that down. Oh wait, no I don't! Haha, eidetic memory jokes."

He stored the map into his inventory and wasn't terribly surprised to notice that his Map menu showed the marked spots now that he had seen and memorized them himself. Of course he'd never even been to that part of the Canter Mountains, but still: Nice to have a reminder.

That left the box and the loose gems... although 'gem' was really sort of a stretch. One was a strange rainbow-oily crystal formation, shaped into a boxy staircase of tiny flat layers, unlike anything he'd seen (or tasted) before. The other was a cute little charm made of carved metal, cold and grey... Maybe iron, or even steel? It was shaped like a unicorn horn, so detailed that even the little pores of the velvet were individually marked out.

"Two loose gems, which would be kind of a strange reward for anyone but a dragon. Still a bit strange that they aren't in a bigger quantity..."

Spike shrugged, very carefully balancing the gems in his palm.
"They're not for eating... Well I mean they are, but not like that. Remember how I said that the weird indestructible stone from Rarity's collection said it would 'improve Dragon's Breath', but had a failure chance?"

"Yes. These are the same?"

"Sort of the same."


Escherian Bismuth
Provides a new skill.
Failure Chance: 0.01%

Unihorn
Provides a new skill and improves Dragon's Breath... but you are not powerful enough.
Failure Chance: 93%


"One of them seems to be bismuth, and it's... usable. Failure chance under point-oh-one percent."

Twilight looked at him dubiously.
"That was .01 and not 'point, oh, one', right? You know how I am about p-value manipulation."

"Despite how much it makes everypony laugh, yes. And also yes: Zero dot zero one. Chance in ten thousand."

She shrugged, which was always fun when ponies did it.
"Acceptable in my eyes, if you were looking for advice. That's basically just a rounding error at this point, so I assume there's another reason you haven't eaten it already?"

"...Aren't heavy metals toxic?"

"One, dragon. Two, bismuth is the least toxic of the heavy metals, although I still wouldn't go around feeding it to a pony. You already eat semi-toxic rocks for fun, pleasure, and sustenance."

Twilight had a really good point: As such, she hadn't even finished her sentence by the time he popped the little staircase into his mouth and started biting in. The flavor was weirdly sour, then mint-cool, then the strange numbing heat of the weirder peppers... It came in waves and bursts until he felt totally set aside from himself, his tongue just kind of soaking it all in. When he finally came back from the Flavor Dimension there was a crisp and colorful skill popup hanging in the air.


[Disaffiliation] (Passive) Lv MAX EXP: N/A
Breaking the ties that bind us to certain preconceptions can be difficult. The things we learn are food will always be considered food, the things we learn are dangerous will always be considered dangerous. Severing those pre-established notions can expand the mind into new avenues.

All of the user's abilities that recognize one kind of (Earth) are expanded to recognize all others.
This means that powers which only impacted metals now work on gems, vice versa, and so on.

You have discovered your [Metal Affinity]!


"...Oh. Well that... um. One second."

Pulling the impervious sample out of his inventory showed that its chance of failure had dropped even further than last night's levelling binge had pushed it, bringing it into the mid-30s. And the Unihorn that still lay in his palm... was all the way down to 9%. Clearly Rarity's sample was stranger than modern metal alloys, while refined steel was still a step away from his familiar gems.

Explaining that to Twilight made her grin brighten and grow cheek-to-cheek instantly.
"Spike! That's fantastic: No recorded data has shown dragons directly consuming processed true metals, despite their hoarding tendencies... Which as we both know, are more connected to their growth than anything. This is a big deal!"

"Yeah, I won't deny that... Not to mention the whole 'Better chance of using these other weird pieces' thing. Personally I'm more excited about that part."

"Oh come on Spike, that's because you've clearly become a skill junkie."

"First off, you don't get to borrow insults from Shining Armor like that without knowing the context... and second off, why wouldn't I be? It's one thing to have more options in a game, but this is giving me more options in real life. And last I checked, a certain somepony in this conversation has no room to talk."

She tried to raise an eyebrow at him, but that always looked very silly on ponies... He appreciated it anyways. Having spent his whole life growing up with them, he knew ponies were inherently silly.
"Pardon me?"

"You literally catalogued and numbered the first hundred spells you learned, just because you could. And don't think I don't know you still keep a journal tracking all the new ones: You just stopped calling them by numbers."

Her embarrassed flush was so strong it washed from her cheeks all the way up into her crest, but that didn't stop Twilight from pushing the last item back towards Spike. He'd saved the box for last since an unknown container was only mysterious until you opened it... Savoring that last moment of mystery briefly, he finally relented and popped the lid with his claw.

Samples and pieces of nearly twenty different gemstones lay inside, small high-quality pieces of each surrounding one larger specimen... And every spot in the box was covered with a placard of slightly-transparent paper. The gems below were visible through the top layer, and the cover clearly wasn't just to keep them in place: Each card was inked with details.

In a normal gem collection you'd expect to see provenance, hardness, history, associations for magic and ritual... But here the lists were simpler, cleaner, shorter... And very specifically aimed at him. Flavor profiles, textures, melting points, potential benefits his Cooking abilities could yield from the gems... All of it listed in a tight, neat hoofwriting style he didn't recognize.

Rather than explain it to Twilight he just wordlessly spun the box, enjoying the way the smooth dark wood slid naturally on their table. If he could criticize any aspects of the rewards he had received, quality and craftsmanship were not among them.

"...Oh. I'm noticing that none of the successes from today are in here... In fact, none of the ones we attempted are represented. I wonder if this is like the Shroewinger experiment, where the contents of the box were not causally determined until you opened it?"

"Twilight, this whole Gamer thing has been enough of a headache without bringing arcane quanta theory into this... yet. I mean, we'll get there. Because it's you and me, so it's sort of inevitable."

She tapped the box with a hoof, carefully making sure not to disrupt any of the marking cards.
"Speaking of inevitability, should we..."

"No. Not yet, anyways. I've, well, I've got an idea already. I think I want to train my skills up a lot first, and get a feel for how important my practice is to getting hits when I make new recipes. So for now these are just going to get tucked into the Inventory..."

Twilight's slightly-longing glance at all the data cards in the box gave him pause.
"...after I do all that cleaning and prep we mentioned. Just in case you wanted to record all the details in the meantime."

She stood up with a huge smile, already levitating over ink and quill to do exactly that. She ruffled his spines with her hoof as they went their separate ways.
"Seriously: Number One Assistant."

- - - - - - - - -

PreviousChapters Next