• Published 13th Oct 2019
  • 12,706 Views, 2,779 Comments

Spike of All Trades - Ariamaki



"Wouldn't it be great if life were like a game?", some people ask. Spike can definitively answer... "Maybe."

  • ...
43
 2,779
 12,706

PreviousChapters Next
The Party: Part 2

Author's Note:

Chapter 78
The Party: Part 2
- OR -
Auspicious Assorted Allies Arrival

Even though they didn't use the 'montage song' this time? The hours between lunch and dinner flew by fast as far as Spike was concerned. Pinkie was a shockingly good teacher for this sort of thing: Running him through the paces of everything from the table settings to the table service, how to fill every role from top to bottom. He knew better than to question how she knew so much about fancy Prench dinner services given her stated aversion to high-class 'stuffy' parties... If he did bother to ask, she'd probably just parrot off something about the Party Patrol or whatever they were called.

After the last few months of spending more time together, and this last week especially getting closer and making hints back and forth... This felt like a calm period, a time for them to be alone together with a task to focus on but no need to worry about ‘that’. Shoulders would bump here and there, Pinkie would straighten his lapels and gaze into his eyes... At some point she'd gotten the top hat back, and he had to admit it suited her.

One of their more playful exchanges was interrupted by distant hoofsteps approaching the Library: Spike recognized it out of habit and his ever-expanding sensory skills, while Pinkie probably got more of a jolt from Pinkie Sense than anything. They both stepped back twice, creating a nicely deniable distance and breaking the spell that hung in the air.

"...Thanks."

"Anytime, Spike."

Spike didn't want to let it go quite so easily, so he winked at her and reached across the gap to brush a claw through her mane, moving a strand out from under the brim of her hat.
"I'll hold you to that."

He quickly turned and made his way to the front door, ignoring the gentle sizzling-steaming sound of Pinkie's overheated expression.

The door opened to reveal quite a few more faces than he was expecting: Rather than arriving one at a time across the course of the next half-hour? All four of the girls had apparently met up on their way through town and trotted to the Library together. Rarity was looking resplendent as always, and there was a brief double-take where she obviously was about to ask 'who he was wearing', so to speak... But then she remembered what he’d been up to lately with his powers, and just smiled.

Applejack hadn't gone out of her way to dress up or down: Mane and tail tied in their usual style, hat omnipresent. Fluttershy was wearing a simple green shift, and Rainbow Dash had a pair of her nicer flight goggles hung around her neck like a talisman. On anypony else it would seem lazy or dismissive, but Spike recognized it as the closest she got to accessorizing outside of the Gala.

"Whoooeee Spike, ya sure went all out! And don't think Ah don't see ya back there Pinkie."

The party planning pony pronked her way over to the front door with a wide smile, already recovered from Spike's little tease... Although not against payback, as she managed to run her tail all the way from his legs up to his neck out of view of the others.
"Hee! I figured if we're going to get together for a shindig we might as well make it a big one!"

"Are we licensed for shindiggery?"

"Yes! But not skullduggery, so please don't stab anypony in the back."

They both cracked up laughing, while their guests mostly just looked bemused or confused. A bit of explaining later and everypony was inside and moving to their seats, with quite a few comments on Pinkie's decorations. Fitting Spike's theory, half the comments were compliments and the other half were surprised that Twilight let her go so far over the top. Not a single pony actually questioned what the decorations were.

Jovial conversations and random pleasantries took up their time for a few minutes. Applejack and Pinkie discussed some techniques for baking filling directly inside of apples, Fluttershy and Rarity discussed their next spa date, and Rainbow Dash grilled Spike about his latest skills and pickups, while he fired back with questions about weather manipulation and her exercise regimens. If he wanted to keep his growth on pace, a personal trainer or at least some solid advice would help.

Quiet fell over the room when the clock struck: While the rest of their friends had a little inkling that tonight was going to be different, between Spike's outfit and the decor? It really struck home when Twilight Sparkle stepped out, precisely on time and not a second earlier. Her earlier point about Pinkie's decorations seemed a little hypocritical given that she was not only wearing a sun dress, but a little amulet of the self-same star. Nopony questioned it, or maybe they all had some idea what this was about: He wouldn't be surprised if they had suspicions like his own.

"Thank you all so much for being here tonight: I'm sorry we're putting on such a production, but as you've probably guessed at this point... Well, we'll have a lot to talk about later. But first, I know I am definitely famished, and Spike decided to go for broke preparing tonight's meal. So... Spike?"

He stood from his chair (making sure to straighten the headcloth Pinkie had made for him) and made a slight bow. Rainbow Dash giggled, and Applejack tipped her hat in return. Fluttershy and Rarity had a better grasp of the formalities involved, while Pinkie and Twilight both just smiled.

Spike was hoping to position this as his last big step out of his 'old' self and into his new life as The Gamer proper. Once this party was over, he'd have all the preparations and concepts set to start properly seeking the Benediction and tackling all the quests ahead. So for tonight? He'd start by honing all his skills, delivering the results of his labor to help and please those close to him.

"Good evening everypony: My name is Spike and I will be both the chef and the table-service waiter for our event. Tonight's meal will be served as seven courses, with coffee to close.”

Rainbow interrupted with a whistled intake of breath, but Rarity nudged her until she was quiet. Spike just smiled and waved his claw: He was going to be hamming it up tonight, no questions. Audience reactions were a positive, not a problem.
"Wine and water are both available at request and tableside, along with simple bread and butter.
Specialty beverages include rose quartz spritzers, emerald juleps, and sapphire cornflower tea."

Applejack seemed surprised at the drink list, but everypony else had either seen or sampled his gem-infused cooking personally. That, and they all trusted him as a friend who cared about their safety.

After a pause requests came up for beverages, and he quickly began procuring one bottle and glass after another from his Inventory. He hadn't been able to get a serving cart on short notice, but blatantly pulling things from thin air was probably more appropriate for his image anyways. A gout of fire breath, twisted in mid-air with External Mana Control, lit the series of candles around the table.

Once everypony was back to talking and enjoying their drinks, he went to present the first dish.

PreviousChapters Next