• Published 13th Oct 2019
  • 12,708 Views, 2,779 Comments

Spike of All Trades - Ariamaki



"Wouldn't it be great if life were like a game?", some people ask. Spike can definitively answer... "Maybe."

  • ...
43
 2,779
 12,708

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 66: Dreaming Discussion

Spike wasn't sure how long he drifted. The impact of the Heartsong he'd 'composed' was rather extreme, probably a sign that he was overreaching his grasp. He lost all sense of time and every perception of the outside world, save for things within an inch of his scales. His MP had dropped down to the very bottom of the meter and refused to rise, while his HP and Stamina constantly drained in slow, steady drips. In return? His perception of time on the inside was stretched out.

He'd had dreams, and he was sure many ponies had, where it felt like he experienced entire days or weeks in what ended up being hours. This was starting to step into that same territory by using the power of Cantus and his meditation combined, along with other processes he didn't understand just yet. And since it was so close to a proper dream-state, he had a feeling that eventually-


A potentially unwanted intrusion has been detected. Permit mental projection?


Spike nodded, or thought about the idea of nodding: That was apparently close enough.

"...I shall admit that it was uncertain if thine idea would work."

He didn't have to open his eyes... He wasn't even sure if he could without ruining the effect? He could perceive Luna's presence, but he couldn't actually see her, or himself. It would be kind of weird to treat it like an issue of Mystic School Train and just picture them both inside of his... insides. It seemed like Luna could tell that he was hesitating: He wouldn't be surprised if she said she ran into a lot of dreams this weird or even moreso.

"Shall we persist on voice alone, or carve out a space to stretch our legs in, as it were?"

"Second one sounds a lot better. Emphasis on sounds, though: I'm not sure how to even start."

Without words, she directed him into the process. Her magic reached out and began to make subtle adjustments to their environment. But she wasn't actually changing anything, more like... Suggesting. She made those motions and he followed suit, like a martial arts student copying the instructor's movements. Through visualization and willpower a space took shape inside of his self-image, coexisting safely with its surroundings. It was a simple cave-like hollow, dark and nearly featureless.

"Splendid work! Now you must simply visualize another version of yourself: And do not be worried, outside of true Dreaming it is quite common to make mistakes in this portion. I will still know it is you, of course."

He probably wouldn't have been able to perfectly visualize himself before he acquired his skills, that much was true. But he had spent a huge chunk of the last two days in Omphaloskepsis, viewing himself from the inside out. On top of that his Eidetic Memory worked perfectly well on mirrors, so even with all of his recent physical changes? Spike brought a perfect copy of his mental self-image into being with no effort or hesitation.

Within the cave he could see and move and act as if it were a fully real space, even though it was only a mental projection. 'Above', or so it felt, his body continued to run on autopilot and maintain the Heartsong and trance. So now he really was dreaming, or as close as he could force himself. This would be very interesting to experiment with later...

Before he could follow that avenue much further, Princess Luna materialized in his newly-carved-out dreamspace cave. She was as regal and stark as ever, dark blues and night black standing out cleanly against the distant dim-red cavern in his mind. Her regalia made no sound as she stepped forward and gave him a look from top to toe.
"Very close, for a first time. The changes in height and proportion are totally normal, I assure thee."

He blinked and looked himself over, before realizing the problem.
"Oh! Nope, this is all a hundred percent accurate: I had a growth spurt the other day!"

Spike didn't even get to explain the details, or the real big news, before Luna swept him up into a hug with her wings and hooves alike. He returned it, laughing a little at just how... well. If any pony knew how often he'd dreamed of growing up? It was definitely her.

"Truly a joyous occasion! I see now why we were called here this evening."

"Haha, no that's... That is a much weirder thing than just some height. But they are connected!"

A part of him had definitely leaned towards waiting to reveal all of this, get Luna and Celestia and Cadance all together first. Not to mention Shining and the rest of the family! But they were all busy ponies and Canterlot was far away. Even assuming they could open up a space in their schedules soon? It would be a lot to ask for a roundtable meeting with them all without something more substantial to discuss. Twilight could justify a big meeting for her reveal with the girls because they were going to get together anyways, just like every weekend.

Instead Spike decided that the best route was to explain the underpinnings and details first, saving the nitty-gritty of his Story Arc for the face-to-face meeting. Which meant that here in the Dreaming, he took the chance to explain his newfound nature as The Gamer to Princess Luna.

If it had been Celestia here in her stead, he was positive she'd have stayed quiet the entire time, only interjecting as needed to move things along or provide an extremely specific reply. Luna was much more vigorous and involved, cutting him off frequently and asking a barrage of questions, some of which he had never contemplated himself. By the time he got to the end of it all, she was looking at him with a peculiar expression and slowly pacing in a very small circuit.

"A game engine personified, powers tailored to the user and defined through the medium of modern entertainment. 'Twere I a more superstitious mare I would question my acquisition of that very hobby over the last year... But no, these are clearly distinct events."

"Yeah, it seems like the ability has a lot of power but I really doubt it's... what would Twilight call it, retrocausal? It didn't reach back in time and change things. At least, if it did? Then we would have bigger problems."

That got a wide smile from her, and she gave him another embrace: This one with her wings alone, her chin dipped down around his shoulder.
"I am so terribly proud, Spike: Although I have spent time with you less often than I would like in these years, you have played no small part in my rescue and rehabilitation both. And now this... It is a fitting power, and exactly the kind of glory you deserve after being short-shrifted so long."

He teared up a little at that, momentarily: The feeling faded strangely fast, probably due to the nature of their not-quite-dreaming state.
"Thanks, Luna. Coming from you that means a lot... I have some other things to talk about, but maybe we should save them for later? I don't want to keep you from your duties."

Now it was Luna's turn to correct him, giggling and looking off into the distance.
"You need not concern yourself with that: Thanks to your friend Rarity, I have acquired assistance in that regard this last year."

Spike wasn't sure what she meant by that, although thinking back to the last time he'd seen Luna...
"Oh! Does it have something to do with the Tantabus incident?"

"Indeed! The creature was originally a part of mine own magic, after all: Turning it to a new purpose was not a difficult task. Working together we can take more time with each individual dream... Or I can take a break from the work, if need be."

"Well, I'll have to thank it next time I see it! It'll be a nice change of pace from when it was a huge monster threatening to destroy Ponyville."

His alicorn aunt raised an eyebrow at that.
"Art thou really one to speak on such a matter?"

"...Takes one to know one?"

They both lost themselves in a giggle-fit at that, until eventually Luna stood tall again.
"Ah! Speaking of the village, I should say: I plan to visit soon!"

"Really?"

"Yes, truthfully! As I said in my letter, I had been hoping to make time to come and thank the Elements and yourself for all you have done, once again. Although I did have another reason..."

Spike didn't have to put too much thought into figuring that part out.
"You probably wanted to visit the new Arcade, right? Like, not just for games, but I know that the couple who own it are Night Guards."

"Astute observation again. Yes, the Ammo couple are among my favorite scions, although no blood of mine flows in them."

He considered bringing up the Benediction, given how she was nearly saying it outright... But that was still probably best saved for a later time.
"Did you know they were coming out here?"

"Know? They were assigned here by my hoof! Well, to an extent. I knew they wished to spend some of their bits, branch out into new skills, and relocate their work closer to family. Given that Ponyville is home to their precious niece and a newly-available estate for investment... Well, suffice to say that Sister and I have been seeking ways to assign more agents of the Diarchy to Ponyville regardless."

He thought back over the four years that he'd lived here. Specifically he thought about the near-monthly disasters, mishaps, insanity and 'Just Ponyville Things' they dealt with.
"Good plan. Extremely, highly appreciated good plan."

Luna accepted the praise demurely, as she always did: The few times he'd come back and seen her and Celestia ruling over their Courts, neither of them made a big deal out of thanks or gratitude. It was a reflex that stayed steady even among family and friends.
"Thank you, Spike."

"And thank you, for coming to visit me like this: It means a lot that you'd make the time, even if you do have somepony... somespell? Somespirit? Something helping share the workload."

"Hah! It was no loss to spend this time, as it seems this dream is proceeding with unusual slowness... Perhaps due to one of your aforementioned abilities?"

"Got it in one shot, Princess: It's taking a lot out of me, but I'm trying to experiment as much as possible. Multitasking seems to be one of my new strong suits."

"As if 'twere not before: I have seen the labors to which you strive for Twilight Sparkle's sake."

Even if she didn't see him and Twilight too often... Yeah, that tracks.
"What can I say: Nopony in the Sparkle household likes to sit still. No dragon, either!"

Luna reached out to ruffle his spines before turning and walking noiselessly across the dream.
"See that it stays that way dear Spike. In our findings? Power attracts attention in many ways."

That gave him something to chew on as he drifted back into the meditative trance, letting his mentally-imagined space dissolve... And then bringing it back together again, along with the visualization of himself. That had been an interesting new trick she'd shown him, so maybe with enough repetition he'd work it into a new skill! Sure her last message had probably been meant as a warning, but if so... His power would attract attention anyway, why not go for broke?

PreviousChapters Next