• Published 13th Oct 2019
  • 12,695 Views, 2,779 Comments

Spike of All Trades - Ariamaki



"Wouldn't it be great if life were like a game?", some people ask. Spike can definitively answer... "Maybe."

  • ...
43
 2,779
 12,695

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 59: Plans...

Spike startled when Twilight finished her impassioned speech, and realization dawned on him.

"...Say that again but slower."

He couldn't see her expression given his focus, but he had to imagine it was half-confusion half-bemusement. Befusion?
"Um. This is an advancement that po-"

He started swiping through his character sheet, looking for the information he was thinking of while waving at Twilight with his other claw.
"The bit before that! Sorry."

"Oh! The two of you helped me achieve a lifelong goal?"

There it was. The dropdown with his Title option. Option singular, apart from just being The Gamer.


[Number One Assistant]

You gain a special sense of what others need to achieve their goals.
All benefits of your aid and assistance are increased significantly.
WARNING: Simple acts of kindness can have far-reaching repercussions.


He could have stressed over this internally before telling anypony else about it, but... Why? He had a pair of friends right here, and two more heads meant two more sources of insight. It wasn't like hiding it would really help him any.

So Spike explained both what he found, and his theory as to what happened: His title wasn't just giving him passive benefits all the time. It had activated in some way, likely impacting his ideas on what the best gems to pair with the food would be.

"Well hold on now, that's not the right way to think about it."

"Do tell! I mean, we're all pretty equally in the dark here. But maybe you're seeing a section of the room that's not lit up for me?"

Twilight rolled her eyes at his choice in metaphor before carrying on regardless.
"I doubt it changed your ideas or your thoughts. It seems significantly more probable that it just changed the association between the gem and the food! Nothing I've been able to find implies that your ‘Dragon's Kitchen’ is drawing from known magical correspondences for these stones. So if your engine is making it all up as it goes? What's to stop it from making it up on the fly, in accordance with other abilities like your titles? It helped me achieve a personal goal, after all..."

"Helping us achieve two goals, actually! I really super-duper wanted this new dessert to impress you both, so I deffo wouldn't be surprised if it counted me too."

"And if the effect was working twice, that would explain the severity! And not just the severity of the magical implications. Seriously, that was easily one of the best desserts I've ever eaten in my life. And since I've known Pinkie for four years now, and spent most of my life before that as Celestia's student in Canterlot..."

"Compliment taken with gustatory gusto, Twily!"

The questionably-titular mare in question went pale.
"Please no. It's bad enough Shining keeps calling me that, we've got to put a moratorium on the nicknames before they get out of control."

"I think what we really need to worry about controlling is the 'far-reaching repercussions' I'm being warned about here. I mean the nicknames thing too, that's a slippery slope, but in terms of urgency... Maybe this is a bigger issue?"

Pinkie bounced over to him on her hoof-tips and slung a foreleg around his shoulder.
"Maybe not! Trust me Spike: Pretty much any act of kindness can have 'far-reaching repercussions', even ones that aren't backed by weird Gamer magic. And if anypony would know, it'd be me!"

He leaned into her half-hug and thought about that for a minute.
"...You know what? You're right. There's no more harm in leaving it on than taking it off: Either I might have my kind acts come back to bite me at extra strength, or I give up the ability to help somepony I otherwise couldn't. I'll take the chance of consequences over the risk of failure."

Twilight looked over the two of them with a smile.
"Does that mean we can get back on schedule?"

"Sure, sure: Game party first, or party party?"

"The second one: It's mostly just going to be logistics and preparation, list-making. The actual mechanical Party is going to be the bigger deal in its way, and we've got all afternoon ahead of us."

"Woohoo! So what's the occasion?"

His (*word) was wearing a faint blush, but apart from a bit of pacing she kept her composure.
"I'd prefer not to say at the moment: Just think of it as one of our normal weekly get-togethers with the girls, but moreso!"

"Awww, so it's not gonna be a party to celebrate you and Celestia boinking?"

Aaaaand there went the composure! She hadn't even been at a light canter when Pinkie replied, but she still managed a perfect ninety-degree faceplant. Twilight went straight into the floor as if she'd been running at top speed. Before she even started recovering she was already blushing.
"P-pinkie! What. WHAT. No, I-"

"Oh come on Twilight, I know you were probably trying to save it for a surprise but... Pinkie Sense is still very much a thing! I got a lot of twitch-a-twitches yesterday that meant a good friend was getting laid. A bunch of times. And the timing didn't line up for anypony else I'm close with, so... I just sort of did the mental math!"

At this point Twilight had managed to get back up onto her haunches, and Spike had already pulled away from the not-a-hug to check that she wasn't hurt. All clear there: Ponies were remarkably squishy when it came down to it. That meant these slapstick injuries never seemed to, well, stick.

"...Assuming I believe you have a dedicated Sense combo for that, why would you kno- I mean, think it was Celestia?"

The excitable earth pony rolled her eyes at that.
"It's super duper obvious that you've been crushing on her for forever! You couldn't be any hotter for teacher unless you burst into flames. Again. And hay, you never did tell me how you did that!"

Twilight brushed Spike away so she could bury her face in her hooves uninterrupted, clearly making an effort not to freak out too hard. He kept the claw on her back, rubbing in little circles until her breathing levelled out: You got used to this kind of thing growing up in the Sparkle household.
"A-alright. OK. It's fine! You know already and that's fine: Great even! This just means we can plan the party without me trying to coyly talk around the specific details, right? Right."

Pinkie looked a little abashed, but it was pretty clear to her and Spike alike that Twilight was just... going a little above and beyond, right now: Nothing to be worried about. Just worry for worry's sake.
"Exaaaactly~! And nopony else needs to know until you're ready to tell them: I didn't say anything to Spike yesterday because I couldn't spoil the surprise for him! So I super-duper Pinkie Promise I won't allow for even a tiny bit of bean spillage between now and... When are we doing this?"

Twilight straightened up and cleared her throat.
"I was thinking we could... overlap it with our usual weekly hangout? Short notice and all that, try not to disrupt schedules too badly."

"I dunno, this seems like a perfect opportunity for a little disruption!"

"Pinkie, most of the time when I have to interrupt you girls' schedule it involves the impending destruction of Equestria."

"...Point!"

Spike took the opportunity to butt in with his own (admittedly biased) perspective.
"If we wait for the get-together, I can make time to tell all the others about the whole Gamer thing earlier in the week. That way, we can dedicate the whole party to delivering your big news without me weirding anypony out beforehand! Which will also mean I'd probably have time to come up with a full course of gem-infused food to celebrate..."

Twilight and Pinkie were both clearly thinking back to the quality of their lunch (and in Twilight's case, breakfast) before they nodded.
"Deal. Pinkie, I don't say this lightly... I want to be surprised."

There was a lot of blinking all around at that declaration.
"What I mean is, I'm going to leave the actual party preparation entirely in your capable hooves. I'll make sure the main floor of the Library is cleaned, available, and closed early in time for you to come over day-of. And it sounds like Spike will be handling the refreshments."

Pinkie's smile went wide as a mile at that, and she nodded rapidly.
"Okie doki loki! Sounds like a plausible prep plan pursuant to a purple pony party par perfection!"

Twilight got back up on her own four hooves and shook off the flurry of alliteration before heading downstairs. Given the chance alone with Pinkie, Spike just had one thing on his mind...
"Should I even ask what the Pinkie Sense combo was for... uh, the way you found out?"

"Mane tug, hoof jiggle, tail lift, wink, wink!"

"You only winked once just now."

Her eyelids dipped low and she looked at him with a salacious smile.
"Did I? Or did I?"

She bounded down the stairs giggling, and Spike tried very hard not to watch as she went.

Author's Note:

Decided to break the title format for this one and next week's chapter for An Reason. I'm sure nobody will mind. :P

PreviousChapters Next