• Published 13th Oct 2019
  • 12,739 Views, 2,779 Comments

Spike of All Trades - Ariamaki



"Wouldn't it be great if life were like a game?", some people ask. Spike can definitively answer... "Maybe."

  • ...
43
 2,779
 12,739

PreviousChapters Next
Zero Hour: Part 1

Author's Note:

Chapter 82
Zero Hour: Part 1
- OR -
Arcade Attractions Lead to Lucky Levels

Not only was Arcane Ammo's All-Day Arcade open all day, as the name implied, but it was a veritable treasure trove for training stats if you knew where to look. Strength and Vitality would be a little difficult, but those were also the easiest to train through traditional methods. Dexterity was a given for anything that called on precise manipulation or tight reactions, Intelligence and Wisdom came naturally from planning and problem solving... But Luck. Oh stars above, Luck was where this was really going to pay out.

Once he got inside, Spike had a plan of attack: He would start with a route through the games he had suspicions about, playing short rounds to see if there was any feedback. Based on those first findings he would assemble a list of the best avenues for growth. Then he could hunker down and really convert all those bits from his quest rewards into something truly valuable: Experience.

Almost every game with both a character growth system and expendable currency had a way to make transfers between them, or at least sacrifice one on the altar of the other. Shadow Spirits and Marrowmade, as well as their imitators? They cut out the middlemare and just made the two systems the same: Currency used to buy items could also be invested into your character, infused to purchase stats... Assuming you didn't die, dropping all your currency in the Puddle of Shame.

Spike had a feeling that the Arcade would be his own route for converting cash to progression: Coin-op arcade games took all the potential training and stat growth of Joyboy and home console games but added the resource sink of pay-per-play. It wasn't certain, but he hoped that by putting a cost onto the process he was inherently giving it more 'value', increasing the yields for his effort. It's one thing to test your Luck with a coin flip, and another entirely to bet your week's allowance.

He didn't see either of the Ammos when he got inside, but that was fine: He would say hello if he saw them, and no big deal if he didn't. It would be nice to ask them about some training tips from the Night Guard perspective... But that bridge could get crossed when it came. First? Game tests.

...Some time later...

"Well... Alright. Not as good as I hoped, but some pretty positive surprises."

Spike had started by checking options he knew would be fruitless, just for confirmation: Trail Untrodden was almost entirely deterministic and tactical, minimal Luck involved and only in the setup. Monkey Emulator looked extremely chaotic, but it was mostly just physics being enacted to a very illogical conclusion: Chaotic but consistent, sensible silliness... Which meant it wouldn't be much use for Luck grinding.

The second tier were games he hoped would be really good yields, but ended up being modestly useful at best. The Stricture of Steven's randomized dungeon-crawling, inspired by Gridslash and Bandit, only got him so far: Just like its spinoff The Myth of Hobo-Jo, the game handed the player random tools over the course of the run and simply asked that they survive using them. That did get him some Luck, but not quickly or easily. Runs were too slow, and he was good enough at the game that the random elements only held so much influence.

The biggest success... Well it was obvious, so he set it aside for now. The biggest surprise had been Basilisk's Lair and its many copycats. Stunningly animated marvels, especially given their age; they were games about moving through a pre-built animation, making split-second decisions that would either save or destroy your character. Games of the genre were technically almost set in stone: You might encounter rooms in a different order, but the solution to each room was fixed.

Why then did he get fully four points of Luck when grinding through a not-even-successful run of one such game? Spike initially thought it might have been the sheer cost of play, at 1 bit per play and instant death for failure... But then another working theory came along. When he played the game well, working on the memories and successes of past runs... The Luck stopped going up. At that point it just became mediocre Dexterity and Intelligence training, at a steep price in coin.

Then he switched to one of the sequels he had never played before, and focused entirely on just trying to predict the right answers: And there it was. When the flashes and hints came on screen too fast for his reaction time, and he didn't have foreknowledge to work from? That just left fate as the only hoof on the rudder! It doesn't really matter if a situation is actually random, it matters if he has any way to influence it. When the results are out of his claws, even foregone conclusions start to involve a little bit of Luck.

If he hadn't happened upon that lucky (heh) break, he would have defaulted to the guaranteed winner of the category: Actual straight-up gambling. There were almost no such machines in the Arcade, but that didn't mean absolutely none, and it wouldn't have taken long to find somepony with a pack of cards or a pouch of dice and some bits to burn if that failed. Spike didn't need to fall back on that option in the end, and he was rewarded for his investigation in more ways than one.


By fastidiously studying the options and finding a hidden gem, you gained 2 Luck and 2 Wisdom!


Hilariously, after two hours the majority of his Wisdom gains had been from things like that: Making wise calls about how to train his other stats, as opposed to playing games that taxed his decision-making ability. Spike absolutely wasn't one to look over a gift freely given, so he just kept riding that wave and testing more varied experiences. Maybe they had one of those old-timey strength-testing games in the back somewhere...

- - - -

While Spike didn't end up finding a strength-testing game, he made a lot of other discoveries. Some were useful to his new life-as-a-game: Attribute training avenues, games that he could play while still qualifying for Exposure, that sort of thing. Others were purely beneficial to his peace of mind and less immediately useful: A new series he hadn't seen before, a game he had thought was packed away years ago. After a few hours of searching, most importantly?

He managed to accidentally find the most important thing of all: A friend.

...Does it count if they're already a friend? Does it count if they find you? Regardless.

At one point he had been moving between sections of the Arcade, making sure not to bump into anypony but otherwise just sort of autopiloting through the food court... But then he was interrupted by a polite, demure, familiar cough. He spun on his heel to confirm his thought.

"Rarity?"

The mare in question trotted over to him, looking exactly as bright and beautiful as always... Give or take the addition of a pair of saddlebags overflowing with many of her tools of the trade.

"Yes! Funny to see you here, Spike... Well, I suppose not surprising funny, given your situation... Still! Humorous circumstantially. Shouldn't you be home with Twilight after her big day?"

"To be honest I think she's better off having alone time after a big social event like that. I might unwind fine in a place like this, but Twilight's happy to recharge solo. And I should be saying the same to you, more or less: What are you doing out this late after the big party?"

His former crush coughed into one fetlock, hiding her expression for a moment.
"Yes, well... It was just such big news! I must admit I got struck and swept away by a wave of inspiration almost immediately, and the sheer pressure of it drove me for some hours. Once I caught a breath, I realized that one of my ideas was best suited to Auntie, so... Here I am!"

On one hand Spike wondered how much of that sudden jag of inspiration had to do with the news, and how much had to do with the significant boosts to Wisdom and Intelligence (and even Luck) from the meal. On the other side of things, it could just as easily be both or neither: Inspiration was fickle weird stuff. He'd just take pride in the fact that she found her work a little easier with his unspoken and (mostly) unintended help.

"Finally going to make good on that threat about the lace?"

"Pfftpsh, no, that was just ribbing between family! This outfit should be significantly more rugged and suited to her active lifestyle: Not my usual affairs, but I feel she'd appreciate the gesture. Not to mention I could quite easily adapt it for Uncle Pierce! Couples outfits are terribly chic right now."

Spike didn't really know either of the Ammos well enough to reply to that: Family could be weird sometimes. Instead he just followed Rarity as she began trotting away, until he realized where she was going.

"...Do you think they're in their office? I didn't see them on the floor at all when I came in."

"Ah! Well that's no issue at all: Aunt Ammo always answers when I knock at their house, and since I received no reply? One option remains. As such!"

Rarity put a hoof to the door and opened it with her usual dramatic flair, probably expecting to catch one of her relatives in the middle of some paperwork. What she likely didn't expect was the very thing that happened: A diffuse cloud of blue and black pomf'd out of the open door and spread through the air in front of her face.

"Hark, I suspect I heard... Oh!"

Spike didn't get a chance to react (to say even less of the stunned Rarity) as they both got pulled into a sudden embrace by one of Equestria's Princesses. Luna was wearing her full regalia and taking up a significant chunk of Arcane's office, although she managed to drag them both inside in the process of a hug using both wings and legs. Her (loud) regal voice boomed in the confined space as the door was shut behind them.

"What fortuitous luck the two of you should come at such an hour!"

"Ah, p-princess I didn't mean to-"

Princess Luna seemed to realize how sudden and jarring her action had been, and the realization stunned her just as much as the actual tackle had impacted Rarity. She stepped back as if burnt and held a hoof up in a gesture of deference.

"My apologies as well! I had simply been planning to visit you both before the night was out, so the coincidence caught me quite unawares. How nice for all my intended targets of visitation to find themselves in one place and time!"

Spike blinked his eyes clear of Luna's flowing mane and looked further into the room. In what little space remained on the far side of the desk, he saw Arcane and Piercing Ammunition. Arcane was still trying to keep up a semblance of a formal stance, while Pierce was mostly just holding back laughter. Neither of them seemed nearly surprised as... any of the rest of them.

He turned back to the Princess and went to greet her... then interrupted himself almost instantly.
"Hey L-... oh."

[La Lune]
Luna
LV ???

PreviousChapters Next