• Published 27th Jun 2016
  • 1,085 Views, 53 Comments

The Third Commander - Priceless911



570 Years after The Eden's Kiss Catastrophy, Princess Umbra who has taken the name Thundaga hopes to force peace upon the world, but is she truly The Third Commander, one who is set to create peace, or is there another?

  • ...
6
 53
 1,085

Ch27 A New Beginning

For the first time in five centuries, Canterlot was in complete peace while royal guards, Rebellion soldiers, Nightmare soldiers, and civilians worked together as they cleaned up the city’s rubble, and worked to repair the damaged city. As the unified ponies worked, Cirrus sat in the middle of the Canterlot hedge maze as he looked up at the statue of Commander Bolt. As he sat enjoying this peaceful day, Zine entered the garden as he trotted over to Cirrus and sat down beside him, also looking at the statue of the legendary commander. As the two stared quietly at the statue that started it all, Zine smiled as he broke the silence, “So…”
Cirrus replied, “So…”
“That’s him isn’t it? Commander Bolt?”
Cirrus nodded his head, “Yep…”

Zine thought to himself as he smirked before replying, “He’s skinnier than I expected.”
Chuckling at the ironic comment, Cirrus replied, “The marble drops about ten pounds.”
Zine nodded, “Ah… that makes sense.”
With the garden growing quiet again, Cirrus decided to break the silence this time, “So… how are the princesses doing?”
Zine smiled as he replied, “Not bad… Celestia is with Captain Stone, and General Dash right now. Currently, they are trying to reestablish order in the royal guards.”
Cirrus nodded, “I see… so the rumor about half of Thundaga’s guards disappearing is true?”
Zine nodded his head, “Yes… Celestia is worried that they all went underground and are trying to establish a rebellion to fight back at the new rule.”

Cirrus turned to Zine as he replied, “But it isn’t… is it? You know what happened don’t you?”
Zine smiled, “Most have gone into hiding in shame for what they did as Thundaga’s guards. The rest… I’m afraid have sealed their fate with their own hooves.”
Cirrus was surprised, “You mean… suicide?”
Zine nodded, “Fear can be unpredictable. You’d be surprised what it can do to a ponies mind.”
Cirrus rubbed his head in disappointment, “I guess I can’t blame them, when I remember how selflessly I looked at the war back when… it’s hard to think that I’ve become a completely different pony since then.”
Zine nodded, “I’d like to think we’ve all changed for the better… even me… sort of.”

Cirrus smirked at Zine as he looked back at the statue, “Sure ya did… so what about the other princess… Princess Luna?”
Zine sighed as he replied, “She’s still in the dungeon talking with her daughter.”
Cirrus nodded, “Princess Umbra still refuses to leave the dungeon?”
Zine nodded, “Yea… She would lock herself in her room… but um…”
Zine and Cirrus looked at the tallest tower on the castle that was still without a roof as he continued, “Yea… that.”
They looked back at the statue as Cirrus smiled, “I understand her concern… but I wish she would stop blaming herself so much. Most of what happened was the Tantibus’s doing anyway, even her mother and aunt pardoned her for the whole thing.”

Zine nodded his head as he replied, “Well… as I said, she is no different from her guards who are in hiding.”
Cirrus nodded his head, “I guess you’re right… but something still bugs me…” he gave Zine a serious look, “What exactly did that spell you use do anyway?”
Zine replied with a serious look, “Spiritual Extinction… A spell that only a true Zebrican mage can complete. Its purpose is to extinguish the soul of whomever it is used on, and then seek out all of the same species, killing them in the same way, leaving their soulless bodies to wither away into dust.”
Cirrus asked, “So… why am I still alive then… if the spell was supposed to kill the soul of the victim, then why are all us pegasi still around?”

Zine smiled in a sinister way, “it didn’t extinguish the soul of a pegasus… it killed the soul of a singular species. A creature that was the only living form of her kind. A demon, in darkness.”
Cirrus thought to himself as he replied, “Then… why couldn’t you use it on Thundaga? Why go through all this when you could have just snuck it into her drink or something?”
Zine nodded his head as he replied, “A royal alicorn is a powerful race… they predate this spell and wouldn’t be affected by it. So I waited, and sure enough, she took control of a pony that it could affect.”
Cirrus gave Zine an annoyed look, “So… you risked every pegasus in the world for this spell?”
Zine nodded, “Yes… but luckily the Tantibus had complete control, so when her soul was extinguished, Gem’s wasn’t.”

Cirrus continued, “But Gem Stone was dead afterwards.”
Zine replied, “Yes for two reasons, she used the Lightning Orb, and the Capture Spell.”
“Capture Spell?”
Zine nodded, “Remember the ball of manticore blood? The purpose of a curse is to bestow misfortune on both its victim and its user. The capture spell allows the user to take control of its victim’s very existence, in exchange for both their lives afterwards. Which works in combination with the Spiritual Extinction as its own dual-curse. Anypony who tries the Spiritual Extinction must use the capture spell in order to complete it, so that’s what I did. I used both spells so in exchange for them… I had to die along with the capture spell’s victim and every creature of the same species as the extinction’s victim. It’s no different from the last Zebrican mage who used it.”
Cirrus sighed in disbelief, “Wow… so to beat the Tantibus… you basically had to sacrifice both yours and Gem Stone’s lives.”

Zine nodded, “Yep… as are the cards dealt by fate.”
“That’s a tough call… but… why didn’t you die then, after you used the spell?”
Zine smiled, “I did… the spell killed me as intended, but you managed to bring me back afterwards. To a curse, as long as the price is paid, it doesn’t matter what happened after. And since Gem Stone and I were linked, you saved her, thereby saving me at the same time.”
Cirrus smiled at Zine’s luck, “Sometimes I wonder if you had this whole thing planed.”
Zine nodded his head, “I did, a majority of it at least, although surviving was a surprise. I honestly thought that once it was all said and done, I'd be six feet under.”
Cirrus gave him a skeptic look, “Mhm, and was that whole two souls thing also planned?”
Zine nodded, “The captain told you about that? That handiwork was all the doing of Zeil. He said that two souls taken would be taken and they were. Commander Mist, and the Tantibus. This little story played out exactly as he said… which is still confusing, even to me.”
Cirrus nodded, “Well I guess we all can’t understand everything. So now that it’s all over, what’s next for you?”
Zine shrugged his shoulder, “I don’t know… maybe I should put away my spell books and start contributing to society…”

The two shared a brief moment of silence before both busted into laughter as Zine replied to his own comment, “Yea, like that will ever happen.”
After laughing for a moment, Cirrus continued, “But seriously, the kingdom is at peace, so… what’s next? Zine replied, “I can’t say for certain, but I recall telling Gem Stone when we first met, that wherever one story ends, another begins.”
Cirrus smiled as he looked back at the statue and replied, “Begins… hmm? Then how is this story supposed to begin?”
Zine replied with a smirk, “With only one question…” his smile turned serious, “Why?”

Knowing what he was talking about Cirrus replied with his own serious look, “You mean, why am I leaving Equestria?”
Zine nodded, “The kingdom is at peace… so why leave now that everything is as it should be?”
Cirrus sighed, “The kingdom is at peace… but I’m not. For some reason… it feels like there is more to it than just happily-ever-after.”
Zine nodded, “I see… I guess you and Commander Bolt are more alike than I thought.”
Not hearing him clearly, Cirrus asked, “What was that?”
Zine shook his head, “Nothing… I’m heading back to the castle… It may have been the day before yesterday, but I’m still a little sore from the fight. Don’t forget to get your stiches checked too commander. That scar on your neck is what I like to call a blessing in disguise. An inch further, and you’d be dead.”
With that Zine continued back to the castle, as he left Cirrus in the garden alone.

Back in the castle, Princess Celestia, Gem Stone, Madam Melody and General Dash were trotting through the corridor as Gem Stone replied in shock, “Commander?... me?”
Princess Celestia replied, “Of course, you are already well qualified for the position. You understand military educate, you fought beside both Commander Bolt and Halo, so why wouldn’t we offer the position to you?”
Gem Stone smiled slightly as she replied, “Well… I can’t argue with that… but…”
“But?...”
Gem Stone sighed, “Wouldn’t… Cirrus be better suited for that position? I mean he is The Third Commander, and he did defeat Thundaga.”

Princess Celestia nodded her head as she replied, “He did… however, I think that despite his title and accomplishments, he is under trained and unqualified for the roll. With the royal guards in disarray, we need a strong and skilled leader to take the reins. I worry that guards who have had many years of experience may not see Cirrus as a… qualified leader. And without a well-known and respected figurehead in command, I’m worried that their loyalty will be fragile and could lead to future mutiny. But with a respectable pony like the Gem of the Nightmare Legion in command, I’m certain that the rest of the royal guards will be at ease knowing that such a skilled mare will be watching over them. Besides, he’s leaving the kingdom remember. I doubt that this offer would be enough to change his mind.”

Gem Stone sighed as she replied, “Yea… I know what you mean, he didn’t tell me why he’s leaving but despite his reason, I know that he is too stubborn to agree to stay after deciding to go in the first place. Back when I first met him, he was always so submissive to what was happening around him. I should be happy that he is now taking control of his own life, but… I don’t like that he has decided to take it away from Equestria.”
Madam Melody, nodded, “Ze commander has made his decision just as ve all have. All ve can do is respect it.”
Gem nodded, “Yea… but that doesn’t make me feel any less worried.”
Trying to stay on topic, Princess Celestia spoke, “At any rate, if you do not wish to become commander, then I won’t force you. Nevertheless the position must be given to somepony who is well respected amongst the royal guards.”

General Dash shook his head, “Don’t look at me, First thing I’m doing is rebuilding my academy, then my Wonderbolts. It will take some time… but the Wonderbolts will be reestablished, if not by me, then by Jet.”
Madam Melody smiled, “I agree, since Zundaga is defeated, I vill also retire from command. I zink it’s time I return to my manor and raise my daughter as a noble citizen. However, if a commander is vat you’re looking for, Major Storm vould be perfect for ze position. Not only is she a vell respected Royal Guard, but she assisted in helping ze commander get into Canterlot. Viz her leadership, ze Royal Guards vill be back to normal in no time.”
As the conversation continued on the subject of the royal guards, Gem Stone paid little mind to it, as she started thinking about Cirrus and what would happen if, and when he left the kingdom.

Down in the dungeon, Princess Luna sat leaning against the wall as she looked at her daughter through the bars of the unlocked cell, “You need to stop blaming yourself for this… why do you persist in doing this to yourself?”
Princess Umbra was sitting in the corner of the cell as she looked at the wall and replied, “I won’t leave… not until I decide a punishment. One suitable of my crime… you may have pardoned me of this crime, but I will not.”
Princess Luna sighed, “Umbra, we will not punish you for the same crime that I myself was guilty of. If you recall, I too was victim to the Tantibus’s po-”
“IT’S NOT THE SAME!!! You only killed hundreds in a war that lasted a year, A YEAR!!! I… I’ve killed thousand… millions… in a series of wars lasting over five centuries! You couldn’t possibly know how I feel.”

Although Princess Luna couldn’t see her face, she could still see that Umbra was crying as the tears dropped to the ground beneath her. Seeing this, Princess Luna sighed, “I know… I could never know how it feels to do what you did for five centuries, but remember, I was under that monster’s power for more than a millennia. Then a few times afterwards. That creature tormented me for most of my life, and when I finally had the strength to overcome it… I was burdened by what it did to me, my sister, and your father. However, it was your father’s guidance that helped me get over it. Without His kindness and support, I don’t know where I would be. And… with Commander Halo’s support, you can do the same.”
Princess Umbra turned her head slightly towards her mother but still hid her face, “Wh-what?”
Princess Luna smiled, “Don’t think I haven’t notice the way you look at him. He obviously holds a special place in your heart, and considering all he has done for both you and the kingdom, I’m not surprised. He risked his own body to pull the Tantibus from yours, he threw himself into a battlefield untrained only to never use his weapon against you, and then he showed mercy once it was all finally over.”

Princess Umbra continued looking away as she defended herself, “He saved my life and the rest of the kingdom… you would act the same if you were in my hooves.”
Princess Luna gave a cheeky smiled, “I would be lying if I claimed I wasn’t impressed, But this isn’t about me. It’s about you and your feelings. I can tell that you are in love with him, and in my own opinion, he is a strong stallion and a fitting suitor… I approve.”
Princess Umbra started to blush, but still hid it from her mother as she tried to get back on the previous subject, “I… it… it doesn’t matter how I feel… the pain I gave him, and hundreds before. I don’t deserve to be loved, only despised. So until I find a punishment fitting my crime… I’m staying right here. Unless, you are willing to accept my first suggestion.”
Princess Luna stood up as she spoke with an angry tone, “Absolutely not! I will not allow you to execute yourself by yours’s or anypony’s order! You may see your crime as suitable, but taking one more life won’t change anything, so get that out of your mind!”

Princess Umbra felt happy knowing her mother still cared for her after all that happened, but it didn’t change her own opinion as she replied, “Still… for Cirrus and everypony else in the kingdom… I must be punished.”
Disappointed, Princess Luna sighed as she turned to leave the dungeon, “If I cannot sway your determination, then I will leave you in peace. But… if you’re doing this to make it up to him… you should know that he is leaving the kingdom this evening.”
Princess Umbra turned her head to her mother as she spoke with concern, “What?... leaving? For what reason?”
Luna replied, “I don’t know… but he is set on this decision. So if you want him to tell him how you feel, you should do it soon, before you miss your chance.”

Trying to deny it, Princess Umbra replied as she turned back to the wall, “There is nothing to tell…”
Princess Luna nodded her head as she replied, “Then, I shall leave you do decide your own punishment… but… if you want some words of wisdom here they are. Being a good princess is all about appearance. Remember, just because something appears to be bad doesn’t mean it is. So even if your punishment seems bad to the citizens… that doesn’t mean it’s necessarily bad for you. Think about it.”
Luna smiled at her clever suggestion while she left the room with nothing more to say, as Princess Umbra couldn’t help but turn back to her mother, as she watched the wise princess leave the dungeon.

Later, Cirrus, Gem Stone, and Zine were summoned to the throne room as Cirrus bowed as he spoke, “Your majesty… did you summon us?”
Princess Celestia smiled, “Arise… you and the rest of your party do not need to waste formalities on me. If not for your team’s selflessness, and courage, I wouldn’t be standing in front of you today.”
Cirrus rose from his bow as he looked at his party the turned back, “Actually your majesty, it wasn’t just us. Spike, Major Melody, General Dash, Major Storm, and a joined force of Rebellion Nightmare Legion and even some Royal Guards. If not for all of them, we wouldn’t have been able to stop Thundaga, nor save Princess Umbra.”
Without expecting it, another voice was heard as it entered through the throne room doors, “Nevertheless… we thank you for saving our kingdom, and my daughter.”

Quickly turning towards the doors to the throne room, Cirrus and his party bowed as Princess Luna entered the room and approached the group form behind, “Arise, you will find that formalities aren’t as strict with my sister and I as they probably were with Thundaga.”
Looking over the party, Princess Luna smiled at a familiar face, “Captain Gem Stone, it’s good to finally meet you in a more peaceful setting. I know that it’s expected that there would be… tension between us, but given the circumstances I will be happy to forget about it entirely.”
Gem Stone smiled as she replied, “Thank you your majesty, I will do the same.”
Smiling at the compromise that the two rivals shared, Princess Celestia spoke, “Sister, how is my dear niece? Is she feeling better?”

Luna looked at her sister as she replied, “She is. She’s finally decided a suitable punishment for herself and wishes to address the kingdom. I have already taken the liberty of spreading the word so that the guards can gather the citizens in the courtyard… or what’s left of it.”
Princess Celestia smiled, “Perhaps we should move it to the town center. Given the castle’s damage, it’d be better to address the city from a place that has less chance of rubble falling onto the subjects. But first, Cirrus? Captain Stone? Can I ask that you and the rest of the guards leave the room please? I would like a word with Zine for a few second.”
Cirrus and Gem Stone were a little curious as to why they wanted to speak with him alone, but despite their worry, Cirrus replied, “Of course your majesty, we will go ahead and meet you at the town center.”
With that the two bowed as they and the rest of the guards standing by in the room slowly left as they all funneled out of the throne room. As they left, Princess Luna trotted to the throne and sat beside her sister as she waited for everypony in the room to leave.

Once Cirrus, Gem, and the Royal Guards were gone, the doors closed behind them as Zine was left alone with both princess Celestia and Princess Luna. As soon as they were alone Zine smiled in a sarcastic way as he spoke, “You wanted to speak to me Celestia? I hope I didn’t do anything wrong?... Again.”
Princess Luna spoke with an unamused tone, “You can cut the act, we’ve known who you were since we met you yesterday. And I’m willing to guess, you know who you are as well.”
Zine smiled innocently as he replied, “Dear sweet Luna, I don’t know what you mean? I am me, so I obviously know who I am… unless I’m somepony else in which case, I don’t know what you’re talking about… in this case though, I am somepony else since I’m not who I was when you first knew me… am I?... or where I… was I?…?”

Seeing that his attempt at wordplay confused even himself Princess Celestia giggled as she replied, “It’s good to see that despite all this time your sense of humor hasn’t changed. It’s good to see you again Discord.”
Zine smiled, “I may not have my amazingly magical body anymore… but I’m wiling to think I can pull off stripes pretty well… and I did… despite being banished from a kingdom where stripes are in fashion… like, all the time.”
Princess Luna asked, “Zine?… or Discord… Answer me this, I understand that reincarnations is normal, but how is it that you still hold your memories of your past life?”
Zine smiled, “I completed many spells during the placement trial. It’s only expected that one of them would grant memories of a past life. That… and Zeil confirmed them to me.”

Remembering the name Luna smiled, “Zeil of the Black Sand assisted… I always wondered what became of him after Zecora passed, he just… vanished.”
Zine nodded, “Well, he isn’t still alive if that’s what your insinuating, but if you must know, he passed peacefully and without regret shortly after Zecora… or before…or… it’s complicated.”
Celestia nodded, “Nevertheless, it’s good to see a friendly face, even if it’s different from when we last saw you.”
Zine nodded, “I’m happy to see you too Celestia, I’m happy to see both of my friends alive and well, although it does disappoint me that I wasn’t brought back before Fluttershy and her friends passed.”
Princess Luna nodded, “They would have been happy to see you again too. But, do any others know who you are?”
Zine shook his head, “Other than Spike, nopony knows that the master of chaos was reborn as the crazy zebra from the Everfree Forest. If they did it would send all Equestria into a state of panic and chao- hmm…”

Zine stopped talking as he started thinking to himself, but before he could say anything Princess Luna gave him an annoyed look, “Don’t even think about it!”
Giggling at what he was thinking princess Celestia asked, “So… what do you intend to do now that the kingdom is at peace?”
Zine smiled, “Well, as you know before I left, I was all about doing what I could to help my friends. So naturally… that’s what I will do.”
With an untrusting glance, Luna asked, “And how do you intend to do that?”
Zine smiled in a sinister way, “The same way I’ve always done it… simple and yet unsubtle betrayal…”

Out in the corridor, Cirrus and Gem Stone were trotting towards the castle’s exit as Gem looked at Cirrus and spoke, “So… when are you leaving?”
Cirrus replied, “Probably after Princess Umbra’s speech.”
Gem Stone nodded as she replied, “I see, so… why are you leaving? I don’t think you mentioned it when you told us earlier.”
Cirrus gave a bracing sigh as he replied, “Have you been to the thunder grounds lately?”
Gem Stone replied, “Lately?... you mean since the war ended two days ago?”
Cirrus shook his head, “No… since I woke it.”
Gem nodded, “I went there the day after. Why?”
Cirrus continued, “I’ve been thinking about those words carved into the tree?”
Gem replied, “You mean Finally Free… right?”
Cirrus stopped and sat down as he tried to understand, “At first I thought it was just because of this war against Thundaga… but even after Thundaga was beaten… I’ve been trying to understand what those words meant. Why Commander Bolt carved them into that place to begin with.”

Gem Stone also sat down and thought to herself as she replied, “Well… I guess they would mean exactly what they say. Star would on occasion, stop and mumble to himself about being trapped. At first I thought it was just the stress of leading the nightmare legion, but when I read the story of Eden’s Kiss, I found out that even then he would say the same thing. That he was trapped.”
Cirrus nodded his head, “Trapped… could that be it? For some reason I feel like there is more I need to do, or that I’m stuck in an eternal loop that won’t let me free. So… when I thought up the idea of leaving Equestria, I felt slightly better. As if this Third Commander thing wasn’t just for Equestria… but… everywhere else too. Maybe, now that Thundaga is gone… I should set out and see that her tyranny is truly over.”
Gem Stone replied with an understanding but concerned tone, “So… you’re leaving to spread the word? Like a messenger or something?”

Cirrus nodded, “Yea… Something like that. Besides, this kingdom has too many bad memories for me. My parents, General Rich, both my home and the orphanage. The lightning orb, the fight against Thundaga and the Tantibus, and almost losing two of my best friends.”
Cirrus smiled at Gem as she blushed slightly before letting him continue, “I know that the kingdom will be different with Thundaga gone… but for some reason, I don’t want to stay to see it. I think that the only way for me to truly be free… is to see it everywhere. Commander Bolt left after his war… so… he may have been onto something.”
Gem Stone paused as she thought about his comment for a few seconds, then after being silent for that time, she nodded as she replied, “Well… if that how you truly feel… th-”
“Commander?…”

Both Gem Stone and Cirrus looked down the hall as they saw Princess Umbra standing there as she spoke, “I… uh… My apologies, I’m not interrupting am I?”
Gem Stone held her silence as Cirrus bowed and replied, “Not at all your majesty.”
Seeing him bow, Princess Umbra quickly waved her hoof in a dismissive way as she replied, “No… don’t even bother bowing to me… I don’t deserve it.”
Cirrus rose from his bow as he replied, “You are a princess of this kingdom. And all princesses should be shown with the proper respect that they earned. And you of all ponies know that you earned it.”
Feeling flattered that he was still showing kindness towards her, Umbra blushed, “I doubt that… but… who am I to question a hero in this kingdom. After all you did save me and th-”

Gem Stone interrupted by clearing her throat and replying, “Um… sorry to intervene, but did you need something your majesty?”
Princess Umbra nodded as she replied, “I do actually, Commander? I’m about to address the kingdom, would it be too much to ask that you and your heroes stand behind me as I do?”
Cirrus nodded, “Of course, it would be an honor.”
Princess Umbra nodded as she replied, “The honor is mine, I just hope that with you and your team beside me, the citizens can know how truly sorry I am.”
Cirrus nodded, “The kingdom may take some time, but I’m certain they will understand that you aren’t responsible for Thundaga’s actions.”
Princess Umbra shook her head, “No… I am responsible for everything… and that’s why I’m taking it onto myself to provide a suitable punishment. I only hope the kingdom will forgive me someday.”

Annoyed with Umbra’s self-pity, Gem Stone sighed as she replied, “Your majesty, these things don’t always go the way you plan, but the true essence of a soldier is to have the resilience to pick yourself back up and continue. Your father did it, I did it, and so you should too.”
Umbra smiled as she thought about Gem’s words, “Pick myself back up… it won’t be easy, but… If Captain Stone says so… then I will try.”
The group smiled as Cirrus added, “And if you ever have trouble, your mother and your aunt are now here to help you through it. So you never have to do it alone.”
His words immediately dropped her motivation as she replied with a somewhat disappointed look, “Yea… about that- I… uh… actually… I'll just wait. I believe the citizens are assembling so I think it’s time we make our way to the tower.” She paused for a brief moment “And when I say we… I don’t mean the royal we, I’m tal-”
Cirrus smiled as he understood, “Don’t worry your majesty I know what you meant. But, from my understanding, it’s supposed to be at the town center now. You can go ahead out there, I need to get some things from my room before I leave. I'll be leaving the kingdom right after the ceremony, so I need to grab my saddlebag and shield.”

Before Princess Umbra could reply, Gem spoke, “Speaking of which, I need to talk to Spike about something. So I guess I'll meet you two out there.”
Princess Umbra nodded, “I see, then I will wait here till mother and aunt Tia are ready to leave. If you’re looking for Spike he is just outside the castle doors in the courtyard. I spoke to him a second ago about my decided punishment, so he should still be there.”
Gem Stone nodded her head, “Right then I'll go see him there, thanks.”
Cirrus nodded as he replied, “Then I'll see you both at the ceremony.”
The two mares nodded as all three ponies split up and went in separate direction to do what they needed to do.

Half an hour later, all three princesses, Cirrus, Zine, Gem Stone, General Dash, Madam Melody, the newly promoted Commander Storm, and all five Decedents of Harmony were standing on a platform in the old Canterlot town center As princess Celestia finished her announcement about the royal guards, “With Commander Storm in command, I have no doubt that the state of the royal guards will be returned to its rightful order. And to any royal guards that served under Thundaga, know this… we will not bestow any punishment upon you or your doings as they were not your own. Thundaga was a creature of darkness who corrupted a princess and brought chaos to the kingdom. But now that she is gone, a full pardon will be granted to any royal guards who fought for her, just as a full pardon was granted to Princess Umbra, who wasn’t in control as the creature used her body to willingly harm others.”
As she finished her speech, Spike arrived late to the ceremony as he walked behind the stage and placed a wagon on the ground before standing in front of it so that nopony on the stage could see what was behind him.

Ignoring the late arrival of their dragon friend, everypony on the stage held their expressions as Princess Luna spoke, “And now, for the main reason we have all called you here. As sister stated, Princess Umbra, my daughter, was forgiven for her actions because we have proof that her actions were not her own. However, since she is a princess of justice and integrity, she cannot help but feel that her pardon was granted unjustly and wished nothing more but to make amends for Thundaga’s actions. And so, she has taken it upon herself to devise a punishment befitting the crimes, and will now announce them too you. So, without further ado, Princess Umbra of Equestria.”
With that said, Princess Luna stepped aside as Princess Umbra started to approach the podium. As she approached, a great tension fell over the audients. There were no cheers, no applaud or even fake attempts to do either. All that came from the audients was a stern look of concern, anger, and distrust, as the looks accompanied nothing more than tension filled silence.

The daggers the citizen’s stared made Princess Umbra hesitate, but since she decided to announce her punishment herself, she tried to hide her worry as she gave a bracing sigh and called over the herd, “Citizens of Equestria… I understand your anger towards me. I understand why most of you hate me and would gladly see me dead. And… I don’t blame you one bit. Three days ago, on the day before yesterday I was a monster. I killed, I maimed, and I hurt everypony in this kingdom without regret and without mercy. I won’t even justify using the excuse that I was under the influence of another. Everything I did, was completely and utterly my fault. And what makes it worse, when I returned the throne to my aunt and mother yesterday, they decided that instead of punishing me for my actions, they were instead going to pardon me. But I say nay! My crimes are unforgivable and are better fitting for a death sentence by the hooves of you, the angry citizens of this fair kingdom! However, mother and Aunt Tia, won’t allow me that sort of punishment. Thundaga would have claimed that their mercy is a sign of weakness… but I learned that a pony’s strength isn’t always measured in physical ability. Mercy itself, is a strength, just as forgiveness, understanding, and kindness can be considered strengths as well. So… I decided to take it upon myself to opt my own punishment for my crimes. And I’ve come to a decision. I… Princess Umbra of Equestria, here by and from this day forth, banish myself from The Kingdom of Equestria… until I decide that I have been gone for a time suited to my crime… no less, then one hundred years, or… until I repent for my crime elsewhere. With this, I also renounce my title of princess, for that title is unfit for a mare such as I. This is my punishment… and I will carry it out with no sympathy from any, nor negotiation for a shorter sentence.”

Hearing this the citizens were shocked, although they were happy that she was being punished for what Thundaga did, they weren’t unanimous on whether or not the punishment fit the crime. So rather than cheers that Umbra thought she would hear, there was only a deafening silence as Princess Umbra bowed to the crowd, “Justice will be served, if not in blood, then in exile. Thank you, and may you carry on in peace and happiness.”
With that as her closing, Princess Umbra turned back to the herd behind her as she started trotting through them. As she did Cirrus stepped forward, “Princess Umbra?... are you sure about this?”
Umbra smiled, “I have never been surer of anything in my life.”
With those as her last words on the subject, Umbra trotted to the back of the herd and stood at attention as princess Celestia trotted to the podium and began announcing other changed that the kingdom would make to restore it to its rightful glory.

Later after the final announcement was given and the citizens and soldiers started to disperse, Cirrus with his shield, saddlebag and cloak already on, turned to the princesses, Spike, Gem, and Zine as he spoke, “Well… I guess now that that’s over… it’s time for me to leave.”
Gem Stone smiled, “Sure, just let me do something first.” She looked up at Spike, “Did you bring them?”
Spike nodded his head as he reached behind him and placed the wagon in front of them with a small pile of bags on it, “Yep here they are just as requested.”
As the items sat in the wagon, Gem, and Zine approached them as they both sorted through the bags until they found theirs’s as they proceeded to put on what they had. Zine only had a cloak and saddle bag, while Gem Stone put her bow, quiver, and saddlebag on before covering it with her cloak. Cirrus could only watch in confusion as Gem finished putting her stuff on before turning to Cirrus and speaking, “Okay, you ready to go?”
Cirrus was confused, “Go? Go where?”
Gem smiled, “Wherever you choose. I'd prefer the Griffin Republic first but if you want to go somewhere else first then I’m game.”

Cirrus gave her a confused look as she continued, “What? You think we’re going to let you travel alone? Look Cirrus, I’m okay with your need to travel to spread peace… but seeing that you saved my life, it’s only natural that I go with you to protect yours. You barely know how to fight and if you find yourself in a dangerous situation I’m going to be there to bail you out.”
Surprised by her actions, Cirrus started to replay, “What?... but I-“
Zine interrupted, “Come now commander, as attached as she is to you, I'd think you would expect this kind of behavior from her.”
Gem Stone gave Zine an angry look, “And what’s that supposed to mean?”
Zine smiled, “Exactly how it sounds… but if we happen to go to Zebrica, don’t expect the welcome to be very warm. I am banished from that place after all.”
Cirrus tried to think of words to object, “What? You too… but… but…”
Zine trotted passed Cirrus as he patted him on the shoulder, “Now, now, no need to thank me, I’m just looking out for a friend.”

Before anything else could be said, Spike picked up a large pouch and slung it around claw like a bracelet as Gem Stone looked at the bags left over and replied, “Spike did you pack two bags?”
Spike shook his head as he held up his bag and replied, “Nope all I got is this bag of Gems here.”
Gem pointed at the extra bag as she started to reply, “Then who’s st-”
Before she could finish a purplish magical aura surrounded the items as they flew by Gem Stone and to Umbra as she placed the bag on her back and the cloak around her body, “There, all set and ready when you are commander.”
Cirrus was too annoyed to be surprised as he looked at Umbra and replied, “You too?”
Umbra smiled, “Of course? I am banished from Equestria, so it’s only expected that my choice of travel companion would be somepony I trust. And since I am no longer a princess, it would appear that you outrank me commander. So I will follow your order and go wherever you please. And by the way… I do mean… any order.”

Although he was slow in this department, Cirrus knew flirting when he heard it as he blushed, “Wait… what?...”
Before Princess Umbra could reply, Gem Stone cleared her throat loudly as she spoke with a rude tone, “If you did renounce your title… then that would also mean that I out rank you. So by the chain of command, your orders would come from me.”
Giving her an annoyed look Umbra replied, “Oh really, well perhaps my princess title may not apply, but my status as a royal guard does… so I would say by skill level standards… I would be ranked as a colonel.”
Defending herself, Gem Stone started replying with objections to her claims as Cirrus stood silently while Zine whispered to him, “Two mares fighting over the same stallion… way to go sir.”

Cirrus looked at Zine and replied, “You say that as if I planned it!”
Hearing the comment Princess Luna cleared her throat, “Planned or not… I trust that you will continue with great caution commander… after all… She is my daughter, and I would like to assume you would treat her respectfully, and with careful dignity… right?”
Hearing the somewhat evil tone that princess Luna used, made both Cirrus and Zine nervous as both replied at the same time, “Yes ma’am.”
Enjoying the scene, Princess Celestia giggled before speaking, “At any rate, I can only wish you luck in your journey, commander. I’m happy to know that you are setting out with your friends. And… Spike?”
Spike nodded, “Yes your majesty?”

Princess Celestia smiled, “I would like it if you could send me a report every now and then. Nothing much just to know that you and your friends are safe and sound. Think of this… like a report on friendship… just not as cliché.”
Thinking about Princess Twilight, Spike smiled as he bowed and replied, “It would bring me joy to do just that your majesty. Thank you.”
Princess Celestia smiled, “Good, I’m glad. And with that, I and sister must leave.”
Princess Celestia looked at Princess Umbra as she and Gem Stone were still arguing as she spoke, “Umbra?”

Putting a slight pause on her argument, Princess Umbra looked back and replied, “Yes Aunt Tia?”
Princess Celestia smiled, “I wish you luck on your journey, and hope that you will return to us soon.”
Princess Umbra smiled as she bowed in respect, “Thank you Aunt Tia, by then, I will be ready to face the kingdom with open arms.”
Princess Luna spoke next as she hugged her daughter, “Stay safe my little pony, and may your father watch over you.”
Princess Umbra finished hugging her mother as she looked into her saddlebag and pulled out a cloth that was wrapped around something as she laid it on the ground, “Speaking of which, you should take this.”
Luna watched in curiosity as Princess Umbra opened the cloth to reveal her father’s shattered sword as she smiled, “Dad doesn’t need to protect me anymore. He did all he could, but now it’s my turn fight under my own name.”
Princess Luna took the sword and looked at the remaining cutiemark on the broken blade as she smiled, “Then, he will always be here waiting for your return. As will I.”

Tears started building up in both mare’s eyes as Cirrus smiled, “Well, it’s time to go. Are you ready?”
Princess Umbra smiled as she looked at Cirrus and replied, “On your order… Commander.”
With that the group started down the street as they made their way towards the city gates. As they traveled they weren’t spared the cautious glances of the surrounding citizens, as they traversed through the city towards its main gates. As they continued, Umbra started getting a little tense from the city’s hostile glance, as she did her best to hide her worry. By the time the group was a mere block for the city gates, a small group of ponies stepped out into the street and blocked their path as the traveling group recognized each one of them as Madam Melody, General Dash, Apple Barrel, Butterscotch Pie, Captain Belle, Colonel Shy, Commander Storm, Allium, and Jet. As the group blocked the path, Cirrus spoke as his party stopped, “Here to say goodbye?”
Captain Bell replied, “I should say so, shame on you for trying to leave without doing so commander.”
General Dash nodded, “Jet here wanted to say something before you left… actually, he wanted to say something to her former majesty.”
With that, everypony directed their attention to Jet as he trotted up to Umbra who gave him a cautious look, remembering clearly what she did last time they came face to face. As he looked up at the mare, Jet bowed respectfully as he spoke, “Have a safe journey your majesty and please come back early to visit us. We will happily welcome you.”

Umbra was surprised, “W-welcome?”
Allium smiled as she stepped forward, “You’re our friend aren’t you? And no matter what we should always welcome back your friend.”
Princess Umbra was stunned as she looked over the herd of ponies, as they all smiled in a way that said they agreed. As she did however, Jet started to rise from his bow as Thundaga started to tear up before bowing herself, “All of you have shown me such kindness, and… I have absolutely nothing to offer in return, I don’t even deserve it.”
Madam Melody smiled, “All ve ask, is zat you travel safely. Ve know zat Zundaga vasnt your fault, but ve vorry zat ze rest of ze vorld vill not.”

Realizing how dangerous her journey was, Umbra looked down in disappointment as Cirrus replied, “No need to worry. With all of us beside her, nopony will hurt her. And if they try… then I’m guessing they won’t be a match for the third commander.” Gem added, “Or the Gem of the Nightmare Legion.” Then Spike, “Or a dragon” and finally Zine, “Or a crazy zebra mage, but that’s assuming they had the guts to get past the worrier princess first. Nevertheless the truth remains the same… We protect our friends.”
Surprised that the group was in unanimous agreement, Princess Umbra looked at Cirrus and his party as she smiled with tears still rolling down her face, then she turned back to the other group as she wiped the tears away , “There, you see I'll be fine… and… maybe I will return someday, assuming the commander wishes to.”
With that Cirrus smiled as he spoke, “Maybe… but we do have to leave, before we could ever return.” he looked at the herd of ponies, “Everybody take care of yourselves, I'll be sure to write you all from time to time.”

With that the group of ponies blocking the road stepped aside as Cirrus and his team passed the gate, waved goodbye and left the city of Canterlot. As the group started down the road, Princess Umbra looked at Cirrus as she spoke, “Where to first commander? shall we see Prance? Or better yet, le…”
Gem Stone cleared her throat as she spoke rudely, “Um… you’re not in command remember? As stated in a conversation you weren’t apart of, we are on our way to the Griffin Republic, Right commander?”
Umbra objected, “Unless Cirrus says it himself, I won’t accept it, I didn’t relinquish my princess title just so you could pick it up, captain…”
As the two started arguing amongst each other Zine trotted behind them as he mumbled to himself, “Hmm… Commander Bolt’s ex, versus his daughter… now that is an experiment that I can enjoy watching. Lots of chaos and destruction in that fight wouldn’t you say commander?… hmm I wonder what will really set them off?”

With the two mares arguing, and the zebra scheming, Cirrus trotted at the back of the group with Spike as he sighed, “Well… at least you’re here, maybe you can help balance out the crazy in this group.”
Spike shrugged his shoulders, “I donno, I think we are still outnumbered her. Between the ex-warrior princess, the ancient soldier, and the crazy zebra, we don’t stand a chance.”
Cirrus sighed, “Yea… I guess you’re right… this is going to be a long trip.”
Spike smiled, “Well… if it’s any consolation, I’m happy to be a part of it. So where to commander? Should we seek out the last changeling colony?”
Cirrus replied, “Oh I don’t kn- wait… did you say changeling colony? Aren’t they extinct?”
Hearing him, Zine turned around and replied, “Extinct? Commander I’m surprised at you, haven’t you learned by now that not all stories are meant to be believed?”

Cirrus gave him an annoyed look, “I thought my problem was that I chose not to believe in the stories.”
Spike replied, “Well whatever it is, let’s just say, we learned a lesson.”
Cirrus thought about each member of his group, the ancient soldier who was arguing with the former evil princess, the ancient dragon who was once a friend of the Ponies of Harmony, the evil zebra who turned a nation against himself only to use his evil for good, and himself, a disbeliever who brought peace to an entire kingdom. After looking at them now, and remembering who they were at one point, Cirrus could only smile as he replied, “Sure… I don’t quite know the lesson… but it was still one heck of a story.”
Zine smiled, “And it only getting started. So sit back, relax… and turn the page.”



Epilogue:

The teacher continued, “And from that day forth, the Commander of Peace, and his team of soldier set out to bring peace to the rest of the world, as they had already done, to Equestria, its citizens, and the Princess of the Storm... The End.”
The mare closed the book and smiled, “So… any questions?”
The school fouls all started taking amongst themselves as one little filly raised her hoof, “Um… were you really there when The Third Commander saved the kingdom?”
The mare smiled, “Oui, I was, although… it was a very long time ago.”
A colt raised his hoof, “Where is The Third Commander now?”

The mare placed the book on the podium as she replied, “Well… I wish I knew. I haven’t heard from him in a number of years… but the next time I’m in Canterlot, I'll ask the princess. If I understand right, Spike is still sending her letters like he is supposed to.”
A second colt spoke with a rude tone, “My daddy says that story isn’t real. Everypony knows that princess Celestia and Princess Luna have always been in control of the kingdom. That third princess story is nothing but a story to scare little school fillies.”
The teacher smiled, “Well, you are entitled to your own opinion, so long as you remember one thing.”
The students all spoke at the same time, “It’s not the story that matters, but the lessons they teach.”
The teacher smiled, “Très bon, very good class.”
At that moment the school bell rang as the students started gathering their things to leave, as the teacher called, “Alright class, remember there will be a spelling test on Monday so everypony be sure to study over the weekend. And be safe going home.”

Once her students were gone, the teacher turned to her chalkboard and started erasing the lessons on it as a black stallion entered through the open classroom door as he knocked on the door, “Um… Ms. Melody?”
Surprised by the familiar voice, the teacher turned to the door as she spoke, “Jet? Is that you?”
The dark pegasus smiled, “Yea… it’s me… I was in the neighborhood an-“
She gave him a skeptic smile, “You live in Cloudsdale… this is Ponyville.”
Jet rubbed his head in embarrassment, “Okay… well it took me a while to get into the neighborhood… so while I was here… I thought that if, you wouldn’t mind… well…”
“Yes?…”
He gave a bracing sigh, “Um… Allium?... would you mind, if… I trotted you home?”

Seeing the bashful stallion made her smile as she replied, “No…”
Jet was surprised, “No?”
She repeated as she trotted to her desk, “No…”
Feeling a little awkward, Jet rubbed his head again as he tried to understand, “Um… okay… I’m not really sure where to go with this…”
Allium giggled as she replied, “Well… perhaps you can figure it out on the way.”
Jet was confused, “On the… what?”
Allium explained, “Well, right now its dinnertime for me, so you can’t trot me home, but if you’re willing to join me for dinner, then perhaps you can afterwards.”

Feeling less tense, Jet blushed, “S-sure, I think I can manage that.”
Allium smile, “Good, then I'll get my thing and we can go.”
Allium then started gathering her paperwork as Jet saw the book sitting on the podium and trotted to it. As he approached the familiar book, Jet opened the front cover to see a picture of everypony involved in the story as he smiled, “Has it really been twenty years?”
At first Allium didn’t understand but when she saw him looking in the book she replied, “Oui… funny how time flies isn’t it? It’s almost as if he just left yesterday. I should probably angry with him, he never came back to fly with me like he promised.
Jet nodded, “Yea but if his last letters said anything, it’s that he is happy now.”

Allium put on her saddlebag as she trotted to him, “True, have you received any letters from him? It’s been about three years since I got one.”
Jet shook his head as he started trotting beside her as they started towards the door, “No I haven’t, but wherever he is, I’m sure he is with his friends, so I’m not worried about him one bit. So where is it you want to eat at? I’m not in the mood for sweets but if you want to we can go see Butterscotch and his wife at Sugar Cube Corner.”
Allium smiled as she replied as she started to close the door to the classroom, “Well I don’t know maybe we ca-”
As the door closed, Alliums words no longer became understandable as the two went down the hall and out of the school.

However as the classroom sat empty, a small green flame flew through the window as the fire materialized a small scroll as the rolled piece of paper fell on top of Alliums desk. Although nopony was in the room to see it appear, nor did anypony even know it was there, one thing was certain about the unread scroll, it bared both a story and lesson, of The Third Commander.”

Comments ( 8 )

Seventy years after her father's death, Princess Umbra daughter to Commander Bolt and Princess Luna, seeks out a solution. The Griffin Kingdoms threaten war, but her mother and aunt refuse to fight. Unfortunately Princess Umbra who is sworn to protect what her father gave his life for, decided to take matters into her own hooves, claiming the throne, banishing her mother and aunt, and destroying her threat by establishing forced piece not only on The Griffin Kingdoms, but the entire world, and all with her new name, Thundaga.

There is a typo here. It should be peace, not piece.

8921029
Thanks for the help, its been fixed.

8922161 There's also an error in the short description:

570 Years after The Eden's Kiss Catastrophy, Princess Umbra who has taken the name Thundaga hopes to force peace upon the world, but is she truly The Third Commander, one who is set to create peace, or is there anouther

The last word is misspelled.

8923648
Thx for the heads up sorry for the late reply. I'm currently on a mission for the national guard and my internet access is limited.

8988188 That's perfectly fine mate. :twilightsmile:

Is there another sequel to this. Im kinda hoping there is one because this series gets better every time.

10396921
not a sequel, but I'm planning a prequel in the future that sets place at the Lightning Orb's origin. it will be a while before I start it, but ill say that it will be about Hurricane and how he attained the power.

That sounds interesting. Looking forward to it :pinkiehappy:

Login or register to comment