• Published 27th Jun 2016
  • 1,085 Views, 53 Comments

The Third Commander - Priceless911



570 Years after The Eden's Kiss Catastrophy, Princess Umbra who has taken the name Thundaga hopes to force peace upon the world, but is she truly The Third Commander, one who is set to create peace, or is there another?

  • ...
6
 53
 1,085

Ch7 Thundaga's World

Thundaga and Cirrus trotted through the royal guards’ training grounds as Cirrus watched the guards sparring with one another. As they continued, a formation of guards trotted by as they chanted, “When I was a little colt, grandpa told me of Star Bolt! He cleared the dark and saved us all, us mighty fighters never fall.”
As the formation continued marching by, Thundaga saw Cirrus’s expression and smiled, “Don’t worry, they aren’t brainwashed. My soldiers are trained to be the best soldiers in the world. And yet as loyal as they are, they are also bound to lawful actions.”
Cirrus gave her a confused look, “Lawful?...”

Thundaga smiled as she continued trotting into the training ground, “Yes, Each one must follow their orders, however if a superior gives an order that seems unlawful, meaning it doesn’t seem right, they have the option to ignore the order. With that, I will be notified of both the soldier, the superior, and the order, and judge it accordingly. If the order was harmless, then I will do what must be done about the soldier disobeying the order, but if the order is in fact unlawful, I will deal with the superior accordingly. Although… my orders are absolute. Disobeying them is an immediate charge of insubordination. But luckily I haven’t had any of those in the past century. Most soldiers trust in my orders and follow them accordingly.”

Cirrus understood her words, however he didn’t want to get into this subject so he just ignored them as he looked at two ponies who were sparring with swords. As the blades clashed, Cirrus had to ask, “Are those real swords? What if one gets hurt?”
Thundaga smiled as she looked at the instructor overseeing the match, “Drill instructor?”
The instructor approached, “Yes your majesty?”
“Bring me a training sword.”
The instructor nodded as he looked at a rack of training swords and used his magic to pull one out and bring it to Thundaga. As soon as Thundaga took the sword she handed it to Cirrus as she spoke, “Look at the blade carefully.”
As Cirrus looked at the blade, he was surprised to find that there was in fact a blade’s edge, but it was rounded completely so that the front of the blade was as sharp as the back only slightly thinner.

Seeing this Cirrus nodded, “oh… so it’s a blade, but at the same time it isn’t.”
Thundaga nodded, “Yes, that way all the weight of a sword is there, but none of the risk. At worst, this could only break a bone if swung hard enough. Otherwise it’s completely safe. Well except for the tip, but luckily I don’t allow thrusting moves in my training. A thrust leaves too much exposure while at the same time, it takes too long to recover. I train my soldiers to take an opponent down quickly. In battle there is no time to dally. Move Fast and Overcome. That’s the motto of the royal guards.”
As the two guards continued sparring, one finally parried the sword away from the other as he placed his blade against the disarmed pony’s neck in a manner to point out his defeat. As soon as this was seen, Thundaga spoke, “Enough!... this fight is decided. Good job, you both fought well.”

As the armed soldier lowered his sword, they both bowed in respect, “Thank you your majesty.”
Using her magic, Thundaga picked up the unarmed soldier’s weapon as she gave it back and spoke, “Now, since you lost this fight, I will have you redeem yourself in a rematch… although you may be at an advantage in this one.”
The soldier gave Thundaga a confused look, “um… ma’am?...”
Thundaga looked down at Cirrus who was still holding the training sword as she spoke, “Cirrus… step forward and show him what you got.”
Cirrus gave her a confused look, “W-what?... you want me?...”
Thundaga smiled, “yes… don’t worry, I will warn him that you have no knowledgeable training so that he may go easy on you. After all, he is a recruit with little training, so in a sense, you two should be on similar levels.”

Cirrus was still unsure as he looked down at the sword, “but… I’ve never even held one of these things before… how am I supposed to win against anypony, let alone a trained soldier.”
Thundaga smiled, “then how about this.” She looked at the soldier, “You will face Cirrus, and however, since he is an untrained civilian, you will go easy on him. Keep in mind however, he does wield the Lightning Orb, although it’s not expected that he will use it.”
As soon as it was said, the surrounding guards looked at Cirrus in shock. Rumors of a pegasus using the lightning orb had travelled throughout the rank, but most considered them to be just speculation. With all eye on Cirrus, the guard replied, “Yes your majesty, I will go easy on him. Mr. Cirrus? Are you ready?”
Although Cirrus still didn’t agree with this, he still stepped forward into the sparring circle as the winner of the last match stepped out. As soon as the two fighters were in the circle, Cirrus tried to hold the sword the right way as he asked, “so… um… like this?”

A few guards chuckled at the untrained Cirrus as his opponent shook his head, “No… first we bow, to show respect towards our opponent.”
With that, Cirrus lowered the sword as the two bowed slightly towards each other. After the bow, the soldier spoke as he raised his sword up, “Alright, now hold the sword firmly like this with your dominant hoof.”
Griping the one hoofed sword firmly, Cirrus held it up as he asked, “ok, like this?”
The guard nodded, “yes… now when the start is called, I will come at you and swing vertically, when I do, hold the sword horizontally above you head, but hold it firmly otherwise, I'll push it out of the way and hit you, alright.”
Cirrus readied himself as he replied, “yea… I think I got it.”
The guard nodded, as he looked at the drill instructor and spoke, “Sir! Ready to begin!”
Cirrus looked at the instructor and added, “yea… me too… I guess.”

The drill instructor spoke, “Both Sides ready!... BEGIN!”
As soon as it was called the guard moved forward as he called “Here I come!”
With that Cirrus raised the sword above his head to block however, as his opponent raised his sword to strike, a voice echoed through the area, “STOP!!!”
Immediately the solder stopped what he was doing as all eyes turned toward Commander Mist who was trotting into the area with an unamused expression on his face. As soon as Thundaga saw him she spoke, “Commander?... do you disapprove?”
The commander didn’t reply to Thundaga instead he looked at Cirrus’s opponent as he asked, “Private… how much training have you had on the sword?”
The soldier replied, “About a month sir.”

Commander Mist looked at Thundaga as he replied to her question from earlier, “This soldier is still gaining experience from his fights… I can’t allow him to fight somepony who has none to give. Therefore I will face the colt myself.”
Feeling that this was more personal interest then practice, Thundaga nodded as she replied with a carless expression and tone, “Very well, take a training sword and step into the ring.”
Commander Mist approached the rack of swords as he drew one and trotted to the starting point for the match. As soon as the commander entered, the other opponent left leaving Cirrus and the commander as the only ponies in the sparring circle. This time however, all eyes including the ponies who were sparring on the other nearby sparring rings were gathered around as almost every royal guard in the training ground gathered to watch the match between the Commander of the Royal Guard and the User of the Lightning Orb.

As the ponies gathered, Commander Mist trotted to his start position as Cirrus lowered the sword, “so um… I know what to do, we are supposed to bow ri…”
Before Cirrus could finish, Commander Mist dashed forward and quickly closed the distance between the two as he raised his sword to swing horizontally. Although he was caught off guard, Cirrus did manage to bring the sword up to block the attack, however, since he didn’t expect it, his sword was knocked away as Commander Mist turned around and kicked Cirrus in his face with both hind legs as Cirrus was tossed through the air landing on the very edge of the sparring circle. As soon as she saw it, Thundaga motioned in a way that she was going to step forward to stop the fight, instead she held her ground and continued watching since she didn’t like the idea of stopping a match that wasn’t officially over. Seeing this out the corner of his eye, Commander Mist smiled as he trotted to Cirrus who was laying on the ground trying to regain his senses, “This fight isn’t over yet colt. Get up and continue!”

Cirrus laid on the ground with a slight ringing in his ears from the shock of the impact, however hearing the commander’s words motivated him slightly as he struggled to ignore the pain and get to his hooves. As soon as he was up Cirrus looked at Commander Mist as part of him wanted to stop, however another part wanted to wipe the smug smile from his opponents face as he raised the sword and spoke, “Alright… I’m ready… this time.”
Seeing this, the commander replied, “We’ll see.”
With a determined dash, Commander Mist rushed back to Cirrus as he raised his sword to strike vertically this time. Knowing what to do, Cirrus raised his sword and blocked the attack as the metal on metal clash echoed throughout the training ground. As the successful block happened, Cirrus smiled, “Ha!”
Less the a split second later, Commander Mist brought up his other hoof as he punched Cirrus in the throat causing him to cringe as Commander Mist parried Cirrus’s sword away as he grabbed Cirrus’s armed hoof and threw Cirrus over his shoulder as the disoriented pegasus flew over his foe and hit the ground on his back.

Looking down at Cirrus who was still trying to regain his breath, Commander Mist spoke, “One block doesn’t win a war. So it would be a good idea to hold all celebrations until the end of the battle… or in this case… fight. Seriously, this is the will that can survive the Lightning Orb… please. I could do much better than this when I was a little colt.”
With that Commander Mist trotted a few steps away as Cirrus regained his breath and tried to stand. Half way up Cirrus rubbed his throat as Thundaga called from the side, “Cirrus! Do you wish to continue?”
Cirrus looked at Commander Mist who gave him an unconcerned look, “Take your wannabe attitude and give up. This was amusing at first, but now it’s just sad.”
Picking himself up entirely, Cirrus gave Commander Mist an angry stare as he held the sword at the ready and spoke, “You haven’t officially won yet, so let’s just end it already. I’m not one for giving up.”
Commander Mist smiled sinisterly, “Oh… you will be… very soon.”

Seeing this Cirrus decided that this time he would go on the offensive as he rushed Commander Mist and attempted to strike him with a diagonal swing. Seeing the obvious move, Commander Mist blocked the attack as he rolled the sword disarming Cirrus, as the sword went flying from his hoof and stuck into the ground a number of feet away. Now unarmed, Cirrus looked at his sword as Commander Mist spoke with his swing, “Eyes on me!”
As Cirrus looked back, Commander Mist was already halfway through a swing and he bashed the back of his swords blade across Cirrus’s head as the impact alone threw the untrained pegasus to the ground. This time Thundaga did step forward, however she stopped herself from saying anything as the drill instructor saw this and asked, “Should I stop the match your majesty? It was the back of the blade that made contact so technically he is still alive.”
Understanding this Thundaga sighed as she replied, “Unless he calls it or loses consciousness, let it continue.”

Hearing her words, Commander Mist smiled as he looked at Cirrus who was laying on the ground, “Hear that colt! Unless you give up, I have all day. Now get up and pick up your weapon!”
Although this time the commander’s words were muffled by a much louder ringing then before, Cirrus still understood them as he struggled to pick himself up as he felt a small amount of blood trickle from his muzzle. Wiping the blood away, Cirrus looked at his sword that was stuck in the ground a few feet away as he stumbled to the weapon to retrieve it. All the while, Cirrus looked at the surrounding royal guards as he noticed that all of them were at a dead silence as they watched him trot completely disoriented to his weapon. When he looked down to retrieve his sword, Cirrus saw something in the reflection. It was Commander Mist who had already closed the gap and was about to strike him in the back of the head. Seeing this all of a sudden made something take control.

With an unexpectedly fast reaction, Cirrus grabbed the sword, pulled it from the ground and ducked at the same time as the commander’s blade flew over his head. With his duck, Cirrus kicked back with his hind hooves hitting the commander in the chest and throwing him into the air. With that one action, Cirrus who quickly turned and jumped towards his opponent, swung his sword with enough force to knock the commander’s sword from his hoof, as he placed his other three hooves against the commander’s chest and used them to slam the commander against the ground on his back before placing the dulled blade of his sword against the commander’s throat and glaring into his eyes with an expression that said; Move and you’re dead. After that, no sounds could be heard from the entire training ground as everypony to include Thundaga and Commander Mist, stared at Cirrus with shock at everything they witness which took place within only three seconds.

As everypony stood speechless at the unexpected actions from a pony who was presumed to have no training, Cirrus who acted without noticing his actions slowly caught up with himself as his expression of rage slowly changed into confusion, and worry. Seeing this notified Commander Mist of his dropped guard as the commander grabbed the sword in Cirrus’s hoof, and used his wings to roll them both over as he pulled the sword from Cirrus’s hoof and held it to his throat as he called, “GUARDS!!!”
Hearing the order, all the guards observing the fight quickly drew their real weapons and held them at the ready as they started surrounding Cirrus and cut out any means of escape. Seeing this Thundaga spoke, “COMMANDER STAND DOWN!!!”
After the order was called, Commander Mist continued holding the training sword to Cirrus’s throat as he looked at Thundaga and spoke, “Your majesty! You saw it! He is a spy! No untrained pony could ever be able to do that as quickly as he did. I’m telling you he is a spy, put here by the rebellion to deceive you!”

Thundaga smiled casually as she trotted through her soldiers and replied, “I did see it… and what I saw, was a sore loser who can’t handle a defeat.”
Commander Mist shook his head, “Your majesty this is serious! His actions were too fast to be fr…”
“Tell me commander… why did you waste time when facing him?... Why did you toy with him using cheap non-lethal shots and allow him to continue no matter how hard you hit him?... Then, when his back was turned you even stooped so low as to try to strike him before he had his weapon secured and was back at the ready.”
The commander continued to defend himself, “Your majesty listen to me! His moves where too fast to be any of my solders so he had to of received them from the rebe…”
Thundaga waved her hoof to silence him, “No… you listen commander! His actions were the actions of a pony who saw himself in danger and reacted in, dare I say it… reflex.”
The commander became angry, “Your saying all of that was a reflex? Impossible! He is a spy! I know it!”
“COMMANDER ENOUGH!!!”

Commander Mist silenced himself after hearing Thundaga’s outburst as she continued, “This match is over… and it would seem that Cirrus has bested you commander. So I would advise that you congratulate him on a job well done, and release him at once.”
“But your ma…”
Thundaga stomped her hoof as an arc of electricity jumped from the ground and made contact with her knee as she spoke with a tone that terrified everypony in the area, “I said… release him… now.”
Knowing that he was risking his own safety with his next words, Commander Mist sighed in defeat as he looked down at Cirrus and removed the sword from his throat, “Very well… your majesty.”
After removing the dull training blade, Commander Mist stepped off of Cirrus and allowed him to stand as the surrounding royal guards sheathed their weapons and stepped back from their target. As soon as everypony was back to normal, Thundaga smiled calmly as she spoke with a casual tone, “Cirrus, congratulations on your victory, now it may be wise for us to retire to an area with a little less tension in the air. Shall we?”

Although it was hard for him, Cirrus ignored the scene that just took place as he nodded his head and replied, “Yes your majesty, lead the way.”
With that Cirrus trotted to Thundaga’s side as the two started to leave the area. However as Commander Mist started to follow, Thundaga stopped as she spoke, “Oh, commander? Since you have so much time in your schedule to roam the training grounds freely, perhaps you can spend the rest of your day training the new recruits. After all, you did mention in your fight that you had, all day… so I’m sure you have no objections.”
Commander Mist was concerned as he tried to replied, “But… your majesty I…”
Thundaga interrupted, “Wonderful, I’m sure the recruits will appreciate it. Oh and I will also be expecting a report on your other duties after the sun has set, after all, it would be irresponsible of me to let you stray on your usual duties. So I'll see you then.”

With nothing more to say to him, Thundaga trotted away leaving Commander Mist with an annoyed expression on his face. With that Cirrus and Thundaga left the area and moved onto the Canterlot Garden as she approached the entrance to a massive hedge maze. Looking at the maze entrance, Thundaga looked at the following guards as she spoke, “Cirrus and I are going to the memorial. Wait here till we return.”
The guards gave her a concerned look as one asked, “Your majesty, are you sure you’ll be alright?...”
The guard gestured towards Cirrus as Thundaga smiled, “Don’t worry, he may have bested Commander Mist… but it will take much more than that to best me. Not to mention…” She gave Cirrus a sinister smile, “He wouldn’t try anything… now would he?”
Feeling like he was threatened, Cirrus gave her a nervous expression as he replied, “N-no your majesty, not even if I wanted to… which I don’t.”
Thundaga smiled as she turned back to her guard, “I’m convinced… aren’t you?”
The guard nodded his head and replied, “If you need anything your majesty, just call out to us, and we will come to assist you.”

With that Thundaga nodded to her soldiers as she began trotting into the maze, “This way Cirrus.”
Nervous by the comment from earlier Cirrus followed closely. As the two continued through the maze, Thundaga noticed his silence as she spoke, “No need to feel nervous Cirrus, I was only trying to ensure my safety with my guards. After what they saw, it’s only expected that they would be nervous of you. Speaking of which… where did you learn to fight like that? Those moves were too fast for them to be taught from any of my instructors.”
Cirrus thought to himself, “I… I don’t know. To be perfectly honest… I was moving too fast for even me to keep up. It was… like flinching, like all of it was some kind of reflex.”
Thundaga gave his a confused look as they turned at a fork in the trail, “A reflex… but… That’s… not possible. I know that’s what I told the commander… however, actions like that were so precise, so focused. I’ve trained literally thousands of soldiers and never had any move like that, and that’s not even the strangest thing.”

Cirrus gave her a confused look, “really? What’s the strangest thing?”
Thundaga looked back at the path as she continued, “The way you walk, talk, and act. The way other ponies look at you, the very personality that that little filly from yesterday admired so much. That’s not the personality of a soldier, not in the least. To see you act the way you do, and see that back there… it was as if for the split second, you weren’t yourself… in fact it was as if you were a completely different pony. One… who has seen war… and survived it. That look on your face… it said that you were going to kill Commander Mist… and that he… wouldn’t be your first.”
Hearing this made Cirrus feel nervous, “Y-Your majesty, I promise you, I’ve never hurt anypony before. I don’t even underst…”
Thundaga waved her hoof in a dismissive way, “No need to explain. I understand that what I saw back there wasn’t the real you… but it still makes me curious. I can only imagine the secrets your past will reveal when your memories return.”

The Two turned another corner as Thundaga looked back down and gave him a smile, “Speaking of your past, I was meaning to ask, why did Allium call you Halo yesterday?”
Cirrus smiled, “Oh, well most of the Foals who arrive at the orphanage are too young to pronounce Cirrus, so a few of them started calling me Halo. You see, Cirrus clouds are usually the highest clouds in the sky and are hard to see unless they cover the sun which creates a ring of light around the sun referred to as a Halo. So Cirrus… Halo… it just stuck.”
Thundaga smiled as she replied, “Ah, I see. I suppose it suits you. Although I think I'd prefer calling you by your name… unless… I were referring to you by a title.”
Cirrus gave her a curious look, “A tittle?...”

As the two approached a fork in the maze, Thundaga quickly changed the subject as she stopped at the turn and looked into the opening, “We’re here.”
As Cirrus approached the turn, he looked to see that what looked like another route in the maze was actually a cleared out section of the maze that had fourteen statues stretched out in two rows all the way down to the end. As he looked into the opening Cirrus approached the first statue as he looked at the name read aloud, “Rose Luck…”
Backing up a bit and looking at the statue of the earth pony Cirrus mumbled, “Hmm… that sounds… familiar.”
Still curious Cirrus went to the next as he read it, “Niether…”
Backing up, Cirrus looked at the statue of a stallion who was carrying a book as he turned to Thundaga and started to speak, “Your majesty who ar…”
All of a sudden Cirrus silenced himself as he saw the statue across from where he was standing out the corner of his eye.

Recognizing the statue, Cirrus turned to it as he approached it and read the name, “Zecora the Enchantress.”
Cirrus’s eyes widened as he backed up and looked at the statue of a zebra, “Zecora… The Zecora?”
Realizing this, Cirrus looked down the line as he started trotting by the statues as he read their names, “Commander Gilda, Captain Spitfire, Captain Rainbow Dash, Rarity…” He turned back to the first row and continued, “Applejack, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Prince Shinning Armor!...” Cirrus Stopped trotting as he looked at Thundaga, “all of these ponies were involved in the Eden’s Kiss Catastrophe… they’re the heroes.”
Thundaga smiled as she replied, “That is correct.”
With that Cirrus turned and looked down all the way at the end as he mumbled, “Which means… that down here is…”
As Cirrus approached the last two statues on the line, He looked at the one on the second row as he read the name, “Princess Twilight Sparkle… and,” He turned to the next, “Commander Star Bolt…”

Cirrus looked up at the statue of the cloaked stallion as Thundaga trotted down the line and spoke, “Everypony here, was a part of the team of ponies assembled by my aunt to fight off the Dark Alicorn when he was freed from his prison in Eden. Sadly, half of them were unable to survive the day he arrived in Canterlot. If not for my father’s sacrifice, nopony, not even I, would exist today.”
As Thundaga looked down at Cirrus who was studying Commander Bolt’s statue closely, she remembered something as she smiled, “That’s right… you don’t believe in such stories do you?”
Feeling like he would offend her, Cirrus turned to Thundaga as he spoke, “Well… it’s not so much as I don’t believe them… it’s just…”
Thundaga waved her hoof as she replied, “No need for explanations. I'll admit I am a little skeptic myself since I was born afterward, but as I said; it’s not the story, it’s the lessons that matter. Just know that whether the story is true or not, the ponies really did exist. I knew them all personally.”

Cirrus gave her a curious stare, “Really?...”
Thundaga smiled, “yes… they each had a lesson to teach. Niether taught me to read, Rainbow Dash taught me to fly, Rarity taught me to act proper.” She giggled, “Even Pinkie Pie taught me how to have fun… and through it all, I admired them… Every single one.”
All of a sudden, Thundaga’s expression of joy faded as she continued, “I… I miss them so. They were both my teachers… and… my friends.”
Cirrus could see the pain in her eyes as he replied, “We all eventually lose somepony we care about… but I think that as long as we remember them for the good times, they are never truly gone.”
Wiping the building tears in her eyes, Thundaga smiled, “Funny… my mother used to say the same thing. And that’s why I had this place constructed. To remember them all for who they were.”
Cirrus looked at the statues as he asked, “So… this isn’t a cemetery?”
Thundaga shook her head, “Oh goodness no, this is merely a memorial garden. Everypony here is buried in their home towns, Princess Twilight is in a crypt in Ponyville with the rest of the Ponies of Harmony. Commander Gilda is in Gryphus, Princess Cadence and Shinning Armor are in the Ruins of The Crystal Empire. However… of them all, my father is the only one who has no grave.”

Cirrus was confused, “he doesn’t?”
Thundaga shook her head, “no… my father gave his entire being, body and soul to save everypony in the entire world. So… when the day came that he had to pay what was owed. He disappeared completely from existence. And for that reason… I understand that you, as well as many ponies have the right to be skeptic. If I couldn’t feel him as I do… I wouldn’t believe in him either.”
Cirrus replied, “feel him?...”
“Yes, when I used to look into the Thunder Grounds, there was something about it. A presence, as if he were there, watching over me. But then… the Thunder Grounds lost its charge and faded... Along with that feeling. It’s hard to explain… but… it was there.”
Cirrus looked back at the statue of Commander Bolt as he mumbled, “Maybe… I guess…”
Thundaga noticed that after Cirrus’s comment, the area became awkwardly silent so she looked at the sky as she spoke, “It looks like it’s getting late. Cirrus, let us return to the castle so I can lower the sun and prepare for the night.”

Turning back to the path they came from, Thundaga started trotting back where they came, as Cirrus looked at each statue as he followed. Although he still didn’t believe the stories, he still recognized each statue they passed from when he was a foal. Each carved with perfect detail from the tip of the ears to the markings on their flanks. Part of him wanted to believe the stories like he did when he was little, however he himself could only shake his head at the thought as he mumbled, “How foalish.”
Thundaga didn’t hear him entirely as she asked, “What was that Cirrus?”
Cirrus shook his head, “Oh… nothing your majesty… I was just... I thought I remembered something, but this was something from this morning so it’s not important.”
Thundaga gave him a curious look as she replied, “Alright then… just keep trying, your memories will return in time.”
Cirrus nodded his head as he continued following Thundaga out of the maze.

Later after the two returned to the castle, Thundaga and Cirrus flew to the balcony of her bedchambers which happened to sit on the tallest tower as she looked into the distance and spoke, “This should be a good vantage point.”
Not understanding what she meant, Cirrus gave her a confused look as Thundaga looked at the sun and watched as she used her magic to grab it and slowly lower it over the horizon. Once the sun was gone, Thundaga looked at the other horizon as she used her magic yet again to bring up the moon. Once the moon was in the sky, Thundaga stopped using her magic as she looked into the city and smile peacefully as she watched the residents turn on the lights in their homes one after another. As she watched this, the turned to Cirrus as she spoke, “Cirrus… come.”
Cirrus trotted to her side as she looked into the city and spoke, “Look down there… now tell me… what do you see?”
Cirrus looked into the city as he started thinking about what she wanted to here, “Well… I see a city about to bed down for the night.”

With little interest in that answer Thundaga replied, “I see a kingdom… who… wish for more. When… they don’t even realize what they have.”
Cirrus was confused, “What?...”
Thundaga continued, “Cirrus… I know it doesn’t seem like I do much considering my actions from today and yesterday… but… I’m exhausted almost continuously. I’ve spent so much time trying to make the kingdom a better place that… I’ve neglected my own happiness. To be honest, I’ve not felt happy for a long, long time. But… well… with… y…”
Thundaga shook her head to silence herself as she looked at the moon and spoke, “Cirrus… I wanted to ask you something… but first… I must tell you something. Remember earlier, when I told you that I used to feel my father at the Thunder Grounds?”

Cirrus nodded his head, “Yes your majesty, I remember. You said after the Thunder Grounds lost its charge you stopped feeling it.”
Thundaga nodded, “yes, when the Thunder Grounds faded, so did that feeling… that is… until I met you.”
Cirrus felt confused, “M-me?...”
Thundaga nodded her head as she continued looking at the moon to hid her blushing face, “Yes… the day you awoken the Thunder Grounds… that feeling returned… only, now… it’s when I look at you that I feel it. So… knowing that… I wish to ask you something.”
Cirrus didn’t know where the question was going, but something felt bad in the pit of his stomach as Thundaga turned to him and asked, “Cirrus… Will you stay here, and… become one of my royal guards?”
Cirrus couldn’t believe his ears as Thundaga continued, “I know that with the proper training, you will become one of the best guards this kingdom could ever have… and one day… my commander.”
Cirrus put his hoof on his head, “you want me… to become a guard?”
Thundaga smiled, “yes… I will train you personally so that you can learn to control the lightning orb. Then once your training is complete, you will become my personal guard. All the while we will continue returning your lost memories, and see to the mysteries of your past together.”

Cirrus replied, “But… don’t you have enough guards already? I mean, what about Commander Mi…”
“My trust in him is fading.”
Shocked by the stern interruption from Thundaga, Cirrus tried to think of a proper reply as Thundaga continue, “Cirrus… your fight today was extraordinary, and your ability to talk to the citizens is something that I wish all my royal guards could have…and forgive my honesty but… you see, you’re the first friend I’ve had in… a very long time. All my friend have either met their fate, or left me for their own reasons. I’m… I’m beginning to lose trust in even my own guards. I just… I just want somepony near me with whom I can count on. And who better… than… my best friend.”
Now, Cirrus was the one blushing as Thundaga looked into his eyes hoping for an answer. Cirrus thought to himself as he replied, “I… um… well…”
Seeing that he was conflicted, Thundaga smiled as she looked into the city, “I understand… it’s a hard question to answer, and I apologize for bringing it up so suddenly. So… feel free to take your time. I don’t need an answer now… or even by the end of the week. But please think it through, I… I would like to know as soon as you’re sure.”

Seeing the gentle smile on her face made Cirrus feel a little conflicted as he smiled to hide it, “Thank you your majesty… I’m grateful that you’re willing to be patient with this.”
Thundaga nodded her head, “My pleasure Cirrus, I understand that with a few memories missing, you may want to take time to regain your own identity before deciding, so I’m willing to be patient as long as you’re willing to continue considering it. Now, I think that we both have had rather long day, so if you will excuse me… I would like to get some rest.”
Understanding that he was in her bedchambers, Cirrus replied, “Oh, alright then. I guess I'll see you in the morning then your majesty. Um… good night.”
With that Cirrus turned to the door as Thundaga smiled pleasantly, “Good night Cirrus.”
With that said, Thundaga turned back to the balcony and looked at the moon as Cirrus left the room and turned to the hall. As soon as Cirrus entered the hall he turned only to bump into the pony standing outside Thundaga’s room as he paused and started to speak, “Oh, excuse me I… um… uh…”

As soon as Cirrus saw who he bumped into he became nervous as he saw the unamused expression of Commander Mist as he glared at Cirrus without saying anything. Feeling the burning sting of the daggers that Commander Mist was staring at him, Cirrus felt nervous as he spoke, “Oh… um… g-good evening commander… um… have you been there long?”
Commander Mist replied with a tone of concernless rage, “Long enough…”
Cirrus smiled nervously as he replied while trying to pass Commander Mist on his way back to the room, “Um… okay… well, I’m a little tired so I'll ju…”

Before he could completely pass Commander Mist, the angry pegasus grabbed Cirrus and pinned him against the wall as he spoke with a tone that terrified him, “Now listen to me Colt… you better make yourself comfortable, because I have all of my guards tracking down any information about you and your so-called past. So if I find even the smallest hint, that you are a threat to her majesty… I will come down on you so fast, your lightning orb won’t even be able to keep up. Understand?...”
Too nervous to reply, Cirrus nodded his head as Commander Mist smiled, “Good… and about the princess’s request… I would suggest you forget it. Because if you step even one hoof into my formation of guards, I will make it my goal, to ensure that every woken moment of your life will be miserable. Get the picture?”
Cirrus was still too nervous to speak so instead he just nodded his head as Commander Mist replied, “Good colt…” The commander tossed Cirrus to the ground, “Now get out of my sight.”

More scared then hurt, Cirrus picked himself up as he quickly trotted away before Commander Mist had the chance to do anything else. When he was gone, Commander Mist took a deep breath to calm himself as he trotted into the doorway and spoke, “Your majesty, I’ve come to give you the evening report.”
Thundaga didn’t acknowledge him, instead she continued looking at the moon from her balcony as Commander Mist noticed her silence and trotted closer until he was standing right behind her as he repeated, “Your majesty?...”
Hearing him this time, Thundaga turned to Commander Mist, “Hmm?... oh commander… I didn’t notice you.”
Commander Mist stood at attention as he spoke, “I’m here to give you the daily briefing.”
Thundaga looked back into the distance as she replied with a tone that showed little interest, “is that so…”

Although he knew she wasn’t paying him much attention, Commander Mist continued, “Yes, the security in the kingdom ha…”
Thundaga waved her hoof to stop him as she spoke, “I’m sorry commander… but I’m not in the mood tonight… perhaps you can give me the report in the morning. As for tonight… well… take the night off. I know you went through a lot today so… I think you deserve a little break.”
Commander Mist felt a little confused since Thundaga usually isn’t this passive about the daily report so he asked, “um… your majesty?... are you okay?”
Thundaga smiled as she looked at the moon, “I’m fine commander… I’m… I’m just in a good mood that’s all.”
With the sound of her tone, Commander Mist was certain she wasn’t lying to him. So he could only reply, “Alright… well… I guess, I'll see you in the morning.”

Thundaga stopped him as he turned to leave, “Commander?... have you… discovered anything… about Cirrus?”
Commander Mist didn’t turn to her since his expression became annoyed as he replied as calmly as he could, “No your majesty… I haven’t found anything about him. So far all we have to work with is that he is from Ponyville.”
Thundaga nodded as she replied, “oh… by the way. Yesterday we discovered that he was an orphan who lived in the same orphanage that he stayed at throughout his foal hood. According to Madam Melody he was an assistant there until a few days ago when it was shut down. If you try looking into leads of shut down orphanages I’m sure you will find something.”

Although he was annoyed that he didn’t hear about this when she did, he still kept his composure as he turned to her and replied, “Thank you your majesty, I'll pass this information down to my soldiers to narrow our search.”
Thundaga smiled, “Notify me of what you find. I will like to tell him myself if we unlock his memories.”
Commander Mist bowed in respect as he replied, “Yes your majesty, I will tell you what we discover.”
With that Commander Mist turned and left the room as he closed the door behind him and started trotting down the hall away from the room. As he trotted he saw a guard standing his post in the hall as he approached the soldier and spoke. “You… go down to the local guards’ station in Ponyville and tell them to look through all the records at the court house. Find everything you can about a pegasus named Cirrus and if they know of any orphanages he may have worked at that’s closed down in the past… few… wait…”

Commander Mist thought to himself, “An orphanage… no… it has to be a coincidence… or… is it?…”
Confused the guard gave him a confused look, “Sir?...”
Commander Mist shook his head, “Never mind, I’m going myself, I have a few things to look up in Ponyville anyways. Continue your patrol, that is all.”
With that Commander Mist trotted passed the guards as he mumbled to himself, “I wonder… if he is from an orphanage, could he be from that one… if he is… then this day just went from bad, to worse for out little guest. I can’t wait to see what I find on him.”
With a sinister smile, Commander Mist left the Canterlot Castle on his way to begin his search on his new found rival.

Deep in the Everfree Forest, Zine balanced on a staff that suspended him six feet over the water as he meditated in the silent cave. As he stood deep in his meditative state, Spike entered the cave as he sighed and mumbled to himself, “Zine is still here… is he planning on being here all nig…”
Before he could finish his statement, Zine slowly began leaning to his side as he and the staff fell completely over as he hit the water with a big splash. Feeling a little doubtful of that he witnessed, Spike watched the water for a few seconds of awkward silence until finally Zine surfaced as he took a few seconds to cough up the water in his lungs. After a few seconds of coughing, Zine trotted to the shore as he mumbled through his coughs, “Maybe… I should… choose a better… place to meditate… just in case… I get another call from… my relatives…”

Spike could only chuckle at the incident as he replied, “Is that what happened? You got a message from Zecora or something?”
Zine replied as he started shaking the water from his mane, “Yea… that’s why I lost my focus..”
Spike gave Zine a sarcastic look, “Focus… you?...”
Zine replied with sarcasm, “I know right? It happens so rarely and yet when I do, it gets interrupted.”
Spike disregarded the comment as he replied, “Wait… you received a vision from Zecora right?... well what did she say?”
Zine smiled sinisterly, “My favorite ingredient seems to be digging deeper than expected, so tomorrow I plan on going to Thundaga and collecting our little commander before he is found out. That and… I’m going to take him to Dragon Mountain to meet the legend himself. Hopefully she will understand and help us… unless she decided to kill us first.”

Spike started thinking to himself as he replied, “Well… since Thundaga trusts you for… reasons unknown. She might be understanding.”
Zine gave Spike a confused look, “no… I meant the Mare of the Mountain.”
Spike smiled, “oh no, she will totally kill you first… unless we catch her in a good mood. Then maybe she will just… mortally wound you.”
Zine nodded his head, “Yea… I think she will wound me… trust me… there is a perfectly good reason why she can’t kill us… or me for that matter.”
Spike gave him a confused look, “is this about that spell or something?”
Zine smiled, “yea… or something. Just remember to keep yourself out of sight… I have a feeling when this is all said and done, we will need the intimidation of a dragon to help.”
Spike nodded his head, “Yea, yea, I know the drill. So what are you going to do?”
Zine smiled, “Well first I’m getting some sleep. Three hours of focus really takes it out of me. And next, I’m going to try to think of something believable to tell both Thundaga and our ancient friend. It won’t be a lie, but if I’m good at anything, it’s telling a bent, half-truth with very few details.”