• Published 27th Jun 2016
  • 1,082 Views, 53 Comments

The Third Commander - Priceless911



570 Years after The Eden's Kiss Catastrophy, Princess Umbra who has taken the name Thundaga hopes to force peace upon the world, but is she truly The Third Commander, one who is set to create peace, or is there another?

  • ...
6
 53
 1,082

Ch12 You Are The Third Commander

Cirrus found himself standing in the same field he did training in as he looked around and mumbled, “What?… why am I here?”
A voice replied, “Funny that Gem Stone would choose this place to teach you the Lightning Orb. Considering what it used to be.”
Knowing the voice but still clueless about the identity, Cirrus turned to see the cloaked stallion standing on the top of a hill looking down as he replied, “really? Why do you say that?”
The stallion replied, “Because this place, which is now peaceful and full of life, used to be distraught and full of death.”
Cirrus was confused, “full of death? What d-”

Before he could finish, the cloaked stallion stomped his hoof on the ground as the grass all around quickly vanished into thin air as the dirt beneath it slowly changed to mud with deep craters, broken weapons, bodies, and armor in colors that signified that five different nations of six different species of soldiers fought in this now lifeless landscape. As soon as this happened, Cirrus looked at the remnant of a lost battlefield as he spoke in shock, “what?... this… this was a war zone too?”
The cloaked stallion replied, “Yes, it was… this was a place where many lives were lost. And seeing what it was… makes you truly value what it is now.”
With that said, the weapons, bodies, and scars all vanished as the grass quickly re-grew covering the mud and the craters beneath it. After seeing the change, Cirrus spoke, “You’re right… seeing what it was back then… makes it seem like a different world.”

The cloaked stallion smiled, “It’s proof that time truly can heal all wounds. Sadly… I learned that lesson too late.”
Cirrus smiled, “did… did you fight on this battlefield?”
The cloaked stallion nodded his head, “yes.”
“and… Gem Stone?”
The stallion answered again, “Yes. But… she also didn’t learn that lesson. She acts like the past doesn’t matter, but that’s just the past with her parents. As for everything else… well… you heard what she said… about the sunrise?”
Cirrus replied, “You’re right… she is solely focused on her past… and… it’s causing her pain.”
The stallion continued, “Learn to control the Lightning Orb.”
Cirrus sighed, “I can’t. The Lightning Orb is a talent that only alicorn can use. And even if I could… what am I supposed to do with it? I don’t know if you’ve been watching or if you’re a figment of my imagination… but I can’t fight.”

The stallion smiled, “you don’t have to… the Lightning Orb is a unique power, with it, not only can somepony extinguish life… but they can even save it. It’s that same power that can change the course of all that happens around us. Think about it, the first commander used it to unify three kingdoms who were at war with one another, into forming one massive kingdom of tranquility. The second, stirred the quarrel of two royal sisters and through his courage gathered the last of a dying species into facing an evil that was assumed to be invincible. I can only imagine of what the Third Commander can do with it”
Cirrus sighed in an annoyed way as he replied, “Okay… I’m not going to argue since I know that nothing I say can convince you that I’m not the Third Commander, so I’ll just ask… How do you know for certain that I am the Third Commander?”
The stallion could only smile, as he replied, “Because she can see it too.”
Cirrus was confused, “who?...”
The stallion didn’t reply, instead, he slowly faded away as Cirrus woke on the couch in Gem Stone’s cabin. Rubbing his head in an annoyed way Cirrus sighed, “she?… she who?”

Later in the kitchen, Gem Stone entered to see Zine as he waved his hoof around in an attempt to locate the kitchen table in front of him. As soon as he felt it, he ran his hoof along it until he was able to find a chair to sit in. as she watched the confusing sight, Gem asked, “uh Zine… what are you doing?”
Looking back at her with unusually solid white eyes, Zine smiled, “oh… I’m trying to find a place to eat my breakfast. Sorry I raided your garden but with my current condition all I could find was lettuce. So I guess I’m gonna have a salad for breakfast.”
Gem gave him a confused look as she started to reply, “Lettuce? But I didn’t grow any-” As soon as she saw what was in his bowl she smiled, “oh… that… sure knock yourself out.”
Zine smiled, “Don’t mind if I do.”
As he said that Cirrus entered the kitchen as he saw Zine’s white eyes, “Woah… what uh… what happened to you.”

Knowing that Cirrus probably meant his eyes, Zine smiled, “oh, good morning commander. Just testing out a spell I found in an old book.”
As Zine took a bit of what was in the bowl, Cirrus asked, “Are… you okay?”
Zine smiled, “Me? Sure, I’m just trapped in a cyclic paradox is all.”
Cirrus was confused, “a cyclic… what?”
Zine took another but as he replied, “Oh, the spell I tested is supposed to grant me the ability to see the future.”
Gem became curious, “okay… well obviously it isn’t strong enough to affect me. So what do you see?”
Zine sighed, “Nothing.”
“Nothing?”
Zine nodded his head, “yep, right now, all I see is pitch black.”
Cirrus sighed, “So, it doesn’t work.”

Zine shook his head, “on the contrary, it works too well.”
Gem was confused, “I thought you said you only see black.”
Zine nodded his head, “yes, because of the paradox. Let me ask, if you could see the future, and you saw something you didn’t like… then would you try to change it?”
Cirrus nodded his head, “yea, who wouldn’t?”
Zine nodded his head, “then by changing it, the future you saw would also change… however if the future you saw was something you liked, then you wouldn’t try to change it then would you?”
Gem nodded her head, “yea… so.”
Zine smiled, “so how can you change a future, when you do nothing to change it? The spell is preventing me from seeing anything I would hope to change by showing me nothing at all. Ergo… a paradoxical loop.”
Gem sighed, “So it would be better to just say that this spell only blinds you then doesn’t it?”
Zine nodded his head as he continued eating, “Yep… sad to say this spell is a complete bust. Oh well, looks like we will just have to do without.”

As Zine took another bit of what he thought was food, Cirrus asked, “Um… what are you eating?”
Zine replied, “Oh, just a salad I found Ms. Stone’s garden. Want some?”
As he took another bit and started chewing Cirrus replied, “um Zine… you’re eating poison joke leaves.”
As soon as he heard that, Zine stopped chewing as he looked down at the bowl, “really?”
Gem smiled, “yea… really.”
With that, Zine swallowed what was in his mouth as he looked at the bowl for a few seconds, “hmm… I though it tasted a little… spicy.” Then he shrugged his shoulders in a carless way as he stuck his fork back into the blue leaves and continued eating as Cirrus spoke up, “Stop that!!!”
Zine chewed as he replied, “It’s fine… even the poison joke wouldn’t think to hurt me.”
Gem sighed, “Yea probably. Anyways, Cirrus you ready to go out and train? It’s supposed to rain again tonight but the day should just be an overcast till then.”

Cirrus nodded his head as he replied, “Um… okay… but… are you sure?”
Gem nodded her head, “yea, I met with a weather pegasus this morning. He confirmed it with me so we don’t have to worry about a thing. You’re not getting out of training this time.”
Although he was relieved that there would be storms, he still didn’t like the idea of going back out to try the Lightning Orb again. So Cirrus just sighed, “Alright… I guess there is no getting out of it.”
Although he still couldn’t see, Zine smiled knowing that Cirrus could actually talk his way out of it if he tried, but since Cirrus had already thrown in the towel, Zine could only reply, “Break a leg commander… or better yet, let Ms. Stone break it for you.”

Gem Stone smirked, “Don’t tempt me.” She looked at Cirrus, “alright let’s go, same place as yesterday and for the same reason. Remember what we talked about last night? I’m still expecting you to prove me wrong.”
Cirrus smiled, “Alright… I'll try.”
With that, the two started leaving the room as Cirrus spoke, “Will you be alright here while we are gone?”
Zine smiled as he waved Cirrus off, “I'll be fine, the spell should only last another hour or so. Anyways I'll just wait here unti- hm?... Hey, I think I see s- oh nope… nope it’s… it’s just the poison joke kicking in. yea… yea… my tongue just went numb… now my head went numb too.”
Ignoring what he just said, Gem Stone pushed Cirrus out of the room as she replied, “Well good luck with that, come on Cirrus we have to get going if we are going to make any progress today.”
With that the two left their zebra companion as they both left the room and house.

Later at the field that he tried to train on before, Cirrus stood about fifty feet from a sitting archery target as Gem Stone returned from setting it up and spoke, “okay Cirrus, now focus. Concentrate on channeling the lightning you have to your hooves, then… I guess to the target.”
Cirrus gave her a funny look, “oh, that’s right… you don’t know how to use the Lightning Orb.”
Gem Sighed, “And yet I still know more than you… and you’ve used it before. So what does that say?”
Cirrus sighed, “Nothing since I still don’t believe I used it.”
Gem replied with an unamused expression, “You won’t know until you try. Now shut up and focus.”
Hearing this, Cirrus nodded his head as he looked at the target and started to focus.

As he concentrated on his target, Cirrus started to feel the heat buildup in the bottom of his hooves as the tingling feeling started to make itself known. Ignoring the feeling this time, Cirrus continued holding his focus on his target as the electricity started channeling through the ground, fare enough for even Gem Stone to feel it ten feet away. With this, Cirrus continued holding his focus as a small dark cloud started to appear above his head just far enough out of his peripheral vision so that he didn’t notice it. As the cloud hovered above, Gem Stone smiled at the progress as she mumbled to herself, “that’s it… he might actually pull this off.”
Not hearing her words, Cirrus continued focusing as Gem Stone called to him, “That’s it Cirrus, now, Hit the target!”
Trying to keep his focus, Cirrus drowned out her words as his focus started centering even more on the center of the target that sat fifty feet from where he was standing.

As his focus narrowed, the cloud above his head grew slightly more as it started flickering with the light of the building electricity inside. Finally the cloud began sending out small arcs of electricity from above his head as one went far enough to draw his attention to what was happening outside his view. When this happened, Cirrus looked up at the cloud in curiosity as he mumbled, “wh-what is tha-”
in mid-sentence, a large arc of electricity jumped up and curved back onto the other side of the cloud as Cirrus reacted to the miniaturized lightning by jumping back away from the cloud as his break in concentration caused the lightning cloud to fire a bolt forward and into the ground ten feet in front of where he was standing. Reacting to the lightning, Cirrus fell to the ground and quickly pushed himself back, as the bolt that hit the ground started running up towards the target before veering off course and leaving a long black trail of charred grass that passed the stationary target before vanishing from sight.

Shortly after the cloud stopped shooting the bolt, the small black cloud vanished as Cirrus could only lay on the ground breathing deeply in the fear that he was experiencing. Excited about what she saw, Gem smiled as she rushed to the black line left from his attempt. As she reached the line, she looked along the line as she called, “You did it! Cirrus you really did it! You used the ligh-”
While talking, Gem Stone started to turn back to Cirrus, but as soon as she saw the state he was in, She paused. Cirrus, was laying on the ground with an expression of pure fear on his face. His breathing was deep and loud as he tried to recover from the trauma he just put himself through. Seeing this, Gem started trotting towards him, “Cirrus?... are you okay?”
Wide eyed and still in shock, Cirrus didn’t reply as she approached him and repeated, “Cirrus?... Cirrus!”
With the emphasis in her last word snapping him out of it, Cirrus’s eyes darted to Gem who spoke, “Cirrus?... Are you okay?”

Slowly returning to his senses, Cirrus replied, “Wh-what was that?”
Gem smiled, “You did it. You used the Lightning Orb.”
Cirrus rubbed his head, “but… that’s impossible?”
Gem shook her head, “no… it’s not. Cirrus, you proved yourself. You did it. I can honestly say it now… You are the Third Commander.”
Cirrus sat up as he tried to figure it out, “But… it couldn’t… I’m not… I… I can’t be.”
Gem smiled, “You are. You used the Lightning Orb. Not very well, but still. You are the Third Commander. And… you will change the kingdom.”
Cirrus shook his head as he looked at the ground in shame, “no… I can’t…”
Gem shook her head, “yes you can, Cirru-“
“I meant I WON’T!!!”

Hearing him snap like that silenced her as Gem Stone gave him a concerned look and replied, “what do you mean… you won’t?...”
Cirrus shook his head, “I… I can’t do that again… I… I won’t do that again.”
Gem Stone realized something as she replied, “because… of the lightning?”
Cirrus glanced up at her for a brief second before looking back down, “yea… because of the lightning.”
Gem Stone replied, “You don’t have to be afraid you know. The Lightning Orb can be controlled with practice.”
“I don’t care.”
“In time it will become harmless to everypony around you.”
“I don’t care.”
“We can get passed this if you just try to be-“
“I DON’T CARE!!!”

Pausing at his screamed words which echoed in the horizon, Gem gave Cirrus a concerned look, “w-what?”
Cirrus looked her in the eye, “I won’t use it again… I won’t even try… because I’m not going to do it again.”
Gem Stone started to get annoyed, “why?...”
Cirrus replied, “I can’t do it… I just… I can’t.”
Gem Stone started to get angry, “Because you’re afraid?...”
Cirrus nodded his head, “yea… because I’m afraid.”
Gem Stone became enraged as she reached up and punched Cirrus on the side of his face, knocking him to the ground, “Y-you… Selfish! COWARD!!!”
Looking back up at Gem’s rage, Cirrus rubbed his face as she continued, “You think this is a game!?! Why are you here!?! Why put up with this? You came to me to learn to fight! And now you’re just going to give up? If you knew what you were capable of why go along with it?”

Cirrus replied with a shameful reply, “I… I didn’t think it was real… I… I had nowhere else to go, and… you still offered me the chance to try, despite how many times I told you I couldn’t.”
Gem Stone gave him an unamused stare, “and… what makes now so different?”
Cirrus replied, “I… I can’t use the lighting orb. I can’t handle lighting. I can’t be around it… even if it’s in my control I can’t handle it.”
Gem shook her head, “why is it so scary if you can prevent it from hurting you?”
Cirrus shook his head, “I… I just can’t do it… no… I won’t do it.”
Gem shook her head as she turned away from him in disgust, “you’re so pathetic. I understand what it means to be afraid but at least I face my fear every day. How are you supposed to survive if you can’t even use the power that gives you the advantage?”

Cirrus shook his head but didn’t reply as she sighed, “Figures…”
Cirrus looked her in the eye as he replied, “I can’t help it!”
Gem shook her head, “yes you can… you’re just too selfish to try.”
Hearing this made him angry as he picked himself up and replied, “You don’t know what it’s like! I don’t have battle experience! I can’t just conquer my fear like you or Commander Bolt! I’m not-… you know what? Forget it!”
Fed up with the conversation, Cirrus turned to trot away as Gem saw this and replied with an angry tone, “and where are you going?”
Cirrus waved his hoof over his shoulder in a dismissive way as he replied, “I’m going to the cabin to cool down… I’m tired from the Lightning Orb anyways.”
Gem angrily caught up with him as she reached up to grab his shoulder, “You’re not going any-”

As soon as her hoof made contact with his shoulder, something took hold of Cirrus as he jerked his shoulder away before quickly turning around with his opposite wing open as he flung it under Gem Stone’s hooves taking them out from under her body. Without suspecting the surprise attack, Gem Stone was helpless as Cirrus’s reflexed attack was finished off as he brought his rear hooves around and kicked her torso, tossing her through the air before she even had the chance to hit the ground from the first attack. As Gem Stone was tossed a number of feet from where she was standing, Cirrus regained his senses as he paused and watched in shock as Gem Stone hit the ground rolling. By the time she realized it, Gem Stone had already stopped rolling as she picked herself up and looked at Cirrus in shock, “w-wha…”
As he saw her expression, Cirrus could only remind himself of the prior even as he turned away and took to the sky with nothing to say about the second time this reflex took hold of him.

Too surprised to stop him, Gem Stone could only sit on the ground as she mumbled to herself “That was like… the time when Star…”
All of a sudden, she snapped herself out of it as she looked over the open field at the nearest tree line and called, “Are you going to just sit there and watch! Or are you going to explain to me what just happened!?!”
Staff in hoof and a smile on his face, Zine stepped out from behind a tree as he started trotting towards her and called back, “Well! That was interesting! I guess we know how he beat the ingredient in a fight now don’t we!”
As Zine trotted close enough for Gem to reply without yelling she spoke, “Yea… I guess so. So what are you doing here anyways?”
Zine smiled as he offered his hoof to help her up, “Oh just passing through so I decided to check in on the commander’s training.”
Ignoring his hoof, Gem Stone stood up as she replied, “Yea, sure you were. So how long were you there?”

Zine replied as he sat down, “I arrived at about the time the Lightning Orb missed the target. I gotta say, for his second try he was almost on point with his aim. I guess that, and his little reflex was all a part of the Third Commander’s actions.”
Gem Stone gave him an annoyed look, “You say that as if the Third Commander is a second personality or something.”
Zine trotted passed Gem Stone as he looked at the target and the black line that curved slightly off the targets path, “Didn’t it seem that way?... I mean did you even see his face when he did that?”
Gem gave him an annoyed look, “no… I was a little too busy being tossed through the air.”
Zine smiled as he looked at the start of the black line under him and rubbed his staff on the charred grass, “His eyes weren’t his own… his expression wasn’t one of simple Cirrus cloud. It was the full blown Third Commander who had control… for both the Lightning Orb, and that little defensive number he did on you.”

Gem looked at the ground and replied as she rubbed the part of her body that was kicked in Cirrus’s attack, “you’re wrong… that maneuver… wasn’t the Third Commander at all. That was Star Bolt’s kick… I know that pain anywhere.”
Zine gave her a confused look, “Star who?... Oh you mean Commander Bolt don’t you? I suppose the reflex could be somewhat of a flashback from Commander Bolt’s past. But then again it wouldn’t explain how Cirrus could have done it. I guess all we can chalk it up to, is just hidden potential.”
Gem Sighed, “yea… but even if it is. He refuses to use the Lightning Orb now. If he is supposed to bring peace, then how can he do it without using the power that makes him the Third Commander?”

Zine smiled as he looked back at her and replied, “Who knows… The prophecy says that he will bring peace. It didn’t say anything about using the lighting orb to do it.”
Gem gave Zine a confused look, “so… he won’t use it?”
Zine shrugged his shoulders as he replied, “Who knows… I told you already the future I saw this morning was black, so either it was a paradox…or…”
Gem gave him a concerned look, “… the darkness?...”
Zine nodded his head, “yea… but… it was most likely the paradox thing. After all, you know how I am. Even if I did see something I wouldn’t mind happening in the future, I would likely try to change it just for the heck of it.”

Gem Stone sighed in hopelessness, “yea… that sounds like you.”
With that Gem turned to the target as she pulled an arrow from her quiver and laid it across her bow. Seeing this Zine stepped out of the way as he asked, “What’s up? Aren’t you going after the commander?”
Gem drew the bow and released the arrow as it flew towards the target and hit dead center in the bulls-eye, “Why?… you heard him. He needs time to cool down. So, that’s what I’m going to give him.”
As she readied a second arrow, Zine replied, “So… did you ask him yet… about tomorrow?”
Gem released the second arrow as it hit the first, splitting it down the middle as she replied with a sigh, “no… I doubt he will now anyways.”
Zine gave her a funny look, “aren’t you convinced now?”
Gem nodded her head as she readied third arrow, “yea… but… if he won’t use the Lightning Orb he might get himself killed.”

As Gem released her third arrow which hit and split the second just like the last, Zine replied, “Fine… then I'll ask him.”
As Gem reached for another arrow, she paused, “no… I'll do it. You should see if Spike will be going too.”
Zine shook his head, “that’s a no-go. Spike and I will be lounging about at your cabin while you are away. After all I have no reason to go to Canterlot.”
Gem looked at Zine, “really? You’re not going deal with the component, or whatever nickname you decided to give Commander Mist?”
Zine shook his head before looking at the potion on his staff and replying, “Oh heavens no. if you pluck a fruit before its time, it will be too sour to the taste. The commander isn’t ready to be taken care of just yet. That ingredient, needs more time to ripen.”
Gem gave Zine a suspicious look, “Exactly what do you mean by that.”
Zine smiled as he turned away in a dismissive way, “All in good time Ms. Stone… All in good time.

Hours later as day was coming to an end, Gem Stone was returning to the cabin as she trotted into the kitchen, and saw Cirrus standing over the stove, “So… um… What are you making?”
Feeling a little awkward Cirrus replied, “Um… Steamed vegetables… I um… wanted to make something to say sorry for… well… you know.”
Feeling bad, Gem Stone sat down at the table as she replied, “no… I should apologize. I keep forgetting that you didn’t volunteer to be a soldier, and that you were dragged into this against your will. So… I’m sorry for trying to push you past your limit.”
Cirrus smiled, “It’s fine… and… sorry for the kick… I honestly didn’t have control over it so… I hope I didn’t hurt you.”
Gem rubbed her side where she was hit as she replied, “No problem… look it didn’t even bruise so it’s okay. But… I did want to ask you something.”

Cirrus opened the pot to check the food before closing it and replying, “Sure… what is it?”
Gem Stone blushed slightly as she replied “Well… I was wondering if… well… you wanted to go with me tomorrow.”
Seeing her blush slightly made him feel a little awkward as he replied, “With you?... um… where?”
Gem Stone replied with a serious tone, “Tomorrow. I’m going to Canterlot. I’m going to confront Thundaga.”
Cirrus was shocked, “Wh-what? You’re going to see Thundaga? I told you that’s a death sentence.”
Gem Stone shook her head, “I don’t care… I still have to do something. The kingdom is in pain and all the citizens want is to live peacefully without fear from their ruler. So I’m willing to bring that life to them. One way or another.”
Cirrus shook his head, “Then… why not talk it out? If we talk to her peacefully we may be able to reason with her”
Gem sighed, “Cirrus… Thundaga is evil. And I know for a fact that you can’t reason with evil. So we can either accept what she is doing… or fight back.”

Cirrus turned completely towards Gem Stone as he replied, “She isn’t all evil. Trust me, I’ve seen a peaceful side to her. If you just talk to her, she is bound to listen.”
Gem felt skeptic, “really… and how do you know this?”
Cirrus replied, “Because she opened up to me and another friend of mine. She actually regrets some of her past decisions. Evil isn’t capable of such feelings. So that only proves that there is good in her somewhere.”
Gem asked, “So…if you think you can talk to her… then you might be able to convince her to stepdown?”
Cirrus nodded his head, “Well… I don’t know about that. But it’s better than challenging her and condemning ourselves to an execution.”
Although she wasn’t fully convinced, Gem still nodded her head as she replied with a tone that showed her true opinion, “Fine… then do it...”
Cirrus was confused as he replied, “wait… what?”

Gem sat back in her chair as she replied, “come with me tomorrow. Face Thundaga with me and convince her to change her ways. If you do that… then maybe we can solve this without anypony getting hurt.”
Cirrus tried to understand, “wait…you mean peacefully?”
Gem replied, “Well it’s against my personal feelings. I'd rather just put an arrow into her head… but if we can solve this without anypony getting killed… then I guess that’s fine too. But in order for this to happen, you have to come with me. So… will you?”
Cirrus thought to himself as he replied, “if I do… then you have to promise me that it will be a peaceful encounter.”

Gem nodded her head in agreement, “it will be.”
“And that means… No weapons.”
Gem paused, “Wh-what?...”
Cirrus repeated, “You heard me… no weapons. No bow, no quiver, no daggers, swords, or anything that shows we are there to harm her. Then, and only then will I choose to go with you.”
Gem sighed in disappointment as she replied, “fine… if that’s what it takes… then we will both go unarmed. Deal?”
Gem Stone held out her hoof to bro-hoof him as he trotted to her and bro-hoofed her back, “Deal.”

Far off in Canterlot, Commander Mist was sitting in the middle of the library isle looking through a few books as a royal guard trotted towards him, “Excuse me sir, but this section of the library is restricted to either Royal Guards or Thu-”
Annoyed, Commander Mist turned to the guard as the soldier quickly realized who he was talking to, “Oh… uh… C-commander! Sir, I apologize sir. I um… I didn’t recognize you without your armor o-” Mist’s look became stern as the guard changed his words, “w-what I meant was… um… I didn’t expect to see you here sir.”
Commander replied with heavy enough sarcasm that it was hard to tell if he was serious or joking, “What, just cuz I’m a commander means I don’t know how to read?”
The guard became nervous, “N-no sir… w-what I meant was… I… I di-”

Saving the guard from further embarrassment, Commander Mist raised his hoof to silence him, “Calm down captain. I understand what you meant.”
Feeling embarrassed, the guard rubbed the back of his head, “Um… s-sir… if I may? What exactly are you doing here?”
The commander turned back to the three books he had in front of him as he replied, “Soldier… how strong is your loyalty to Thundaga?”
The soldier felt nervous about how he should answer as he replied, “W-well… As all guard should, I will risk my life for her safety sir.”
The commander continued, “Would that also include going behind her back?... For her protection, I mean.”
Confused, the soldier gave him a concerned look, “Sir?...”

Commander Mist flipped through the books as he spoke, “look here… these two books are the storied behind the previous commanders. Commander Hurricane, and Commander Bolt. While this last book is a list of prophesies that Zera of Zebrica predicted before she left Equestria and renounced her citizenship. But first, the Commanders… you know their stories correct?”
The soldier replied, “Yes sir, I do.”
Commander Mist replied, “Then you know clearly as to how they both met their end?”
The solder nodded, “yes sir, Commander Hurricane died facing the Dark Alicorn, and Commander Bolt died after he traded his life for the return of the Eden’s Kiss victims.”
Commander Mist shook his head, “wrong… Commander Bolt did sacrifice himself, but do you know how he died first?”

The guard was confused as he shrugged his shoulders as his answer. Commander Mist sighed as he flipped through one of the books and stopped on a page as he pointed to the text and summed it all up, “Commander Bolt dies fighting the Dark Alicorn, just as Commander Hurricane did. In fact both of them died the exact same way. The Lightning Orb.”
The guard was curious, “the Lightning Orb? But I thought it was that power that helped them.”
The commander nodded his head, “it did, however at the end of Commander Hurricane’s life, he used that very ability in its most powerful way. He used it to vaporize himself, a few of his soldiers and the Dark Alicorn hoping it would stop him and save the princesses of Eden. Then in Commander Bolt’s Story he did the same thing only this time, he used it when the Dark Alicorn was weak enough to actually die from it.”

The guard looked at the book and scanned through the page as he replied, “I understand the similarity sir… but what does it have to do with the princess?”
Commander Mist replied as he opened the third book, “Look here, we all know that the Third Commander has made himself known right?...”
The guard nodded, “Yes sir, it’s that Cirrus pegasus isn’t it?”
Commander Mist nodded, “yes… well I’ve been doing research and I have reason to believe that not only is Cirrus Cloud a traitor to the kingdom… but he will try to use the Lightning Orb to destroy Thundaga.”
The guard became concerned, “Are you sure sir?... do you have any evidence to support this theory?”
Commander Mist looked at the book, “isn’t this enough evidence? Look at history! Commander Hurricane, Faced an alicorn, vaporized himself and said alicorn in the name of unity. And here, Commander Bolt, Faced an alicorn, vaporized himself and said alicorn in the name of courage. So… think about it, Commander Cloud… rivaling an alicorn…”

The soldier’s expression became one of shock, “and will vaporize himself in the name of peace…”
Commander Mist nodded his head, “yes… and that’s not even the worst part. Look here at Zera’s last prediction.”
The Soldier looked at the book and read what it said, “A dark entity will rise wielding the power of the pegasi?...”
The soldier gave Commander Mist a concerned look, as the commander explained, “Zine… I’m willing to bet that Zine is pulling all the strings here. He’s brainwashing Cirrus Cloud into killing himself and Thundaga… and when they both are gone, Zine will attempt to recover her power and use the Lightning Orb to take the kingdom for himself.”
The guard’s became even more shocked, “B-but… I though he said that he didn’t want to rule over anypony?”
Commander Mist replied with a serious tone, “We are talking about a zebra who can bend nature to his very whim. His words hold no honesty nor trust. He is nothing but a dangerous zebra… and with his magic, he can do anything he wants. And he will defeat anypony willing to stand in his way.”
The guard spoke, “we must warn the princess!”
Commander Mist shook his head, “she won’t listen… she is too infatuated by that colt to ever fight back. The best thing we can do, for her safety and the rest of the kingdom, is to find and kill them both before they have the chance to harm her.”

The guard felt concerned as he replied, “sir… with all due respect, the princess has ordered us to refuse your orders until you return from your suspension.”
The commander replied with an annoyed tone, “Then don’t consider it an order. Consider it a request. The princess is in danger, so I would request that any extra soldiers you may have can pull an extra duty by searching for Cirrus Cloud and Zine of the Everfree. And it would also be requested that when they are found, they will be arrested or killed for the safety of our princess. And also by request, you should keep this quiet around the princess so that she can focus on more pressing matters like ruling her kingdom.”

The soldier didn’t know how to reply as he tried to speak, “s-sir… I-”
Commander Mist gave him a stern look, “and as a royal guard who is sworn to protect her majesty. I would suggest you accept this request. In Thundaga’s name and safety. Unless… your loyalty is flawed… then perhaps as soon as my suspension ends… As your commander, I will be inclined to test it… wouldn’t I?”
Understanding the hint that was thrown his way, the guard sighed in defeat, “Yes sir, when you put it like that, I feel that I should accept your… request. I will ask my idle squads to begin searching for Cirrus Cloud and Zine of the Everfree.”
Commander Mist smiled, “Good, and when my suspension ends, I'll see to it your soldiers are rewarded for their charitable request. Now go see to it.”
The Soldier nodded his head as he replied, “yes sir.”
With that the soldier turned and left the area as Commander Mist smiled and mumbled to himself, “I don’t know if he is the dark entity or not… but whatever Zine has planned, will not succeed. And Cirrus, He will learn quickly that only one of us will hold the title of commander. One way… or another.”