• Published 27th Jun 2016
  • 1,083 Views, 53 Comments

The Third Commander - Priceless911



570 Years after The Eden's Kiss Catastrophy, Princess Umbra who has taken the name Thundaga hopes to force peace upon the world, but is she truly The Third Commander, one who is set to create peace, or is there another?

  • ...
6
 53
 1,083

Ch16 Return of the Nightmare Legion

As Cirrus sat looking over the wall, he could only wonder how many names were on it. The wall in front of him started at the floor and stretched through all four stories until stopping at the ceiling of the large cavern as it held an uncountable number of plaques. Each plaque contained a number of nameplates, while each nameplate held the same information. The pony’s name, the date of their birth, and the date of their execution. Literally hundreds of names hung on this wall, and even more were being added just as he was sitting there. However, none had his full attention more than the three framed photographs that sat in the bottom center where they were easy to both see and read. The first, was General Black Cloud, the next Colonel Rain Cloud, and finally the more recent, General Arthur Rich. Cirrus could only sigh, all three were not only the most important names on the wall, they were also the three ponies responsible for raising him at one time.

Continuing to look over the photos, General Dash trotted up as he spoke, “I expected to find you here. I guess it is always a sight to see whether you are a member of the rebellion or not.”
Cirrus nodded his head, “there are many more names then the last time I saw this. Back then there were barely ten.”
General Dash nodded, “back then the total number of members barely made up half of this wall. In fact Apple Barrel is the last member who was a part of the rebellion back then. Not counting the ponies who left the rebellion by choice.”
Cirrus sighed in disappointment, “so many lives lost, and all for a chance at a better life.”
General Dash sighed in annoyance, “I would appreciate it if you wouldn’t pity them. They all fought for the same thing, we fight for now. It’s too bad though… we are no closer to ending this war then they were.”

Cirrus nodded his head as he looked at General Dash, “Hey Dash? Remember when we were little, how your dad’s Wonderbolts would always perform for us since our parents were in the rebellion, then you complained that one time. Since your dad always made you watch their practice, you complained about how one pony was off by a few seconds?”
The two laughed as General Dash replied, “Yea, I remember. He was so mad he made us perform the routine for almost an hour since he thought I quote, questioned a professional?”
Cirrus replied through his laughter, “How many times did we crash into each other that day?”
Dash shook his head and replied, “I don’t know, but I still have the bump on my head from when we lost control and crashed into that barn.”

The two shared a few seconds of laughter before Dash looked at the wall where his father’s name was as he continued, “yea… and though it sucked, I still think that was one of my favorite memories.”
Cirrus nodded as he added, “yea… anything is better than when our moms got together and tried to explain the birds and the bees to us.”
Dash and Cirrus both cringed as Dash replied, “yea… and your dad didn’t make it any better when he brought out the stuffed animals as an example.”
Cirrus chuckled, “well it’s safe to say the only lesson learned was that forcing yourself to forget something isn’t as easy as you can hope.”
The two shared another laugh as they both slowly stopped as they continued looking at the wall in silence.

Soon the silence broke as Cirrus asked, “What happened to us Dash? Seems like things only got worse as time went on.”
General Dash sighed, “Well… after your parents died, you grew a deep hatred for the rebellion and… we just sort of drifted apart.”
Cirrus nodded his head, “yea… not long after, I heard the news about your dad and how you joined the rebellion to take his place. Since then… I just didn’t care anymore.”
Dash nodded his head, “I know… I didn’t want it to come to it, but when you started to shun the rebellion, they started looking down on you. Many even accused you as the one who sold out General Rich when he died. I on the other hoof knew better. Sure you didn’t want anything to do with us, but I knew that if anything had happened you would never sell us out.”

Cirrus nodded his head, “a few days ago I wouldn’t even talk to the guards let alone help them. And now… I started a war against them.”
Dash smiled, “your parents would be proud.”
Cirrus replied with regret, “What difference would it make? I can’t fight, Gem Stone wasn’t strong enough and to be honest, she is the strongest pony down here. I started a fight that we obviously can’t win.”
General Dash gave him a concerned look, “then why did you start it?”
Cirrus shook his head, “I don’t know?... Gem Stone said that she was ready to give up after the fight with Thundaga. But… after seeing her stand up to Thundaga the way she did… I don’t know?... it reminded me of my parents. How they stood up to Thundaga the day they were captured and the day they died.”
General Dash nodded his head, “I never saw their execution. My dad told me that we should focus on how they lived, not how they died. But the stories told about their execution is still told to this day. About how they stared Thundaga in the eye and told them what they think. It’s always inspiring to new members of the rebellion.”

Cirrus sighed, “Well, as inspiring as it was, it won’t be enough to help. I mean, look at my great army, An ancient solder who already proved that she can’t win. A psychotic zebra who would only fight back if he were to get anything out of it. A Dragon who would be helpful but can’t fight against an army. And me a commander who is afraid of his own ability. That’s my army… and I’m supposed to be their commander.” He put his hoof in his head, “what sort of mess did I get myself into?”
General Dash smiled, “well it’s not like we didn’t see this coming… remember when we were little, I always said that one day you would lead a great army. And now you are.”
Cirrus became annoyed, “this isn’t a joke, if I attack Thundaga with what I have, she and her army will wipe the floor with us.”
Dash replied with a serious tone, “it’s not a joke, sure it isn’t the rebellion that I was expecting, but look at who you’re with. An ancient dragon who remembers the Ponies of Harmony, and Commander Bolt. A mare who fought beside Commander Bolt himself, and a zebra who despite being a little… crazy, actually wants to bring this fight to her doorstep.”

Cirrus was confused, “but how do you know about tha-”
“I had a chat with Spike… what you think that you can leave a dragon on my front lawn and I won’t say anything?”
Realizing what he meant, Cirrus looked back at the memorial wall as he replied, “oh… you talked to Spike did you?”
Dash nodded, “yea… and he told me everything… how Captain Stone was the Mare Of The Mountain, how you are the Third Commander, and how Thundaga was a fake commander this whole time.”
Cirrus sighed, “And how she doesn’t even know it?”
Dash looked at the wall and nodded his head, “yea… and now under your command you can lead a counter attack on Thundaga in an all-out fight.”
Cirrus chuckles in hopelessness, “you say that as if I could actually win. You know I don’t have the ability to lead an army.”
Dash smiled, “neither did I… I didn’t even want to become general. And when I did, everypony below me disagreed with it.”

Cirrus looked at General Dash as he asked, “Then why did you?”
Dash looked back at him, “because I was ordered to.” Cirrus was confused as he continued, “The day before General Rich died, he sent out a letter with his last three orders. One; the pony to succeed him would be me, despite any objections from my superiors. Two, if the time came, we would take you in and give you a home and employment if needed, despite our opinion of you. And three, no matter how dark the situation could become, we and the next generation of ponies must never give up on the rebellion’s ultimate goal. The return of the kingdom’s harmony.”
“You said superiors objected… what did you mean?”
Dash smiled as he looked at General Rich’s photo, “I was a lieutenant… one of the lowest ranks of officers down here. And yet… he still chose me to take over. He said something about the key to victory is in the hearts of the next generation.”

Cirrus smiled, “that sounds like him… but still, it doesn’t solve the problem that we don’t know what we are doing”
Dash shook his head, “well… I guess we can only play it by ear. Granted I want to help you, but with our current numbers the rebellion wouldn’t last an hour against Thundaga and her armies. In the past three weeks we’ve lost seventy percent of our original numbers.”
Cirrus was surprised, “What? All to execution?”
Dash shook his head, “Some… but most of our forces either quit, or defected to-… ya know what, come with me. There is something I want to show you.”
With that Cirrus could only give General Dash a strange look as the old friend lead him away from the wall and further into the cavern.

As the two traveled, General Dash led him onto the second story walkway as they trotted along the main cavern as a large number of ponies were working in the center of the underground plaza. As they continued, Cirrus could see most of them setting up tents as he asked, “What’s going on? Are a bunch of ponies evacuating Canterlot?... has it truly gotten that bad?”
Dash nodded as he continued up the walkway, “it has… but that’s not who they are. These ponies are part of a recently formed army that we’ve dubbed The Third Party.”
Cirrus thought to himself before replying, “The Third Party… oh I think I remember Apple Barrel saying something about them yesterday… but what was it he said again?... I was about to ask him about it but then Zine made a ridiculous request that caused me to lose my train of thought.”
General Dash smiled, “I would tell you about them, but I think that’s a job better suited for their acting commander. She could explain it better than I could.”

Nodding as his reply, Cirrus continued following General Dash until they reached a staircase at the end of the walkway leading to the third story walkway. There waiting for them was a number of ponies that he knew. First was Allium and Jet who were arguing over something one said to the other. Then, Madam Melody and Gem Stone who were also arguing about a subject, and finally Zine who sat and smiled at the sight as he waved his hooves around in a gesturing motion, “Dance puppets, dance.”
Hearing his words, all four ponies looked at him with an angry stare as they spoke at the same time, “YOU STAY OUT OF THIS!!!”
Hearing the commotion, Cirrus approached as he asked, “Um… am I interrupting something?”
At that moment, both foals looked at Cirrus as they smiled and rushed to hug him, “Halo!!!”
As the two hugged him, Cirrus patted them on the backs as he replied, “it’s good to see you too. How have you two been?”

Allium smiled as she replied, “it’s great. Madam Melody is the best parent I could have. When she heard you were here she had our butler bring me so I could see you.”
With that Jet replied with an annoyed tone, “Nu hu… Captain Dash is the best! He had a Wonderbolt bring me here when he found out Halo was here!”
As the two looked at each other in anger which pointed out what the earlier argument was about, Cirrus smiled, “oh… I see… wait…” He looked at General Dash, “Captain Dash?”
The general smiled, “I’m also captain of the Wonderbolts, and Jet’s foster father.”
Cirrus smiled, “oh, so the pony who picked up Jet from the orphanage was one of your Wonderbolts right?”
Jet smiled, “Yep that was Cloud Streak he is the second fastest pony in the sky, but no matter how fast he is, he isn’t cooler than you. After all, you’re the Third Commander!”

Smiling with modesty Cirrus replied, “I’m not that great…” He looked at Madam Melody, “Madam Melody, it’s no surprise that you are in the rebellion since Mr. Toll was.”
Madam Melody smiled, “Oui, he vas… however I am not.” She stood at attention as she saluted Cirrus, “Commander Halo, I am Major Melody. Acting Commander of ze Zerd Party. And you’re second in command.”
Before Cirrus could reply to the surprising statement, Gem Stone stepped in, “um… Excuse me?... but if anypony is second in command under Commander Halo… it me. After all, I was the Commanding Captain of the Nightmare Legion. Third in command, after Nightmare Moon and Commander Bolt”
Madam Melody gave her an unconcerned look, “I have no doubt zat you ver commanding captain of ze Nightmare Lesion… however… As ve know, a major is higher zen a captain.”
Staring at each other in anger and pointing out their argument’s subject, Cirrus waved his hoof around to get their attention, “um excuse me? I’d hate to interrupt what clearly entertains Zine…”
Zine gave him an unhappy look, “Awww…”
Cirrus Continued, “but… what’s this about the Third Party?”

Madam Melody Smiled, “Oui, let me explain. Ze Zerd Party vas established by me ven I defected from Ze rebellion. I assembled zem from ze ponies who ver eizer vaiting for ze Zerd Commander to make himself known, or from ponies who vanted to follow me from ze rebellion. Ve are ponies who vant nozing more zen to fight under ze Zerd Commander and assist to bring peace to ze kingdom as vas foretold.”
Cirrus was confused, “Fight under… me?”
Gem Stone smiled, “Yes sir… in other words… they are under your command, Commander Halo.”
Cirrus became nervous, “w-what? You mean… they are… my army?”
General Dash nodded his head, as he replied, “Yep… all devoted on following Commander Halo’s orders.”
Cirrus shook his head, “but… I don’t know how to command an army.”
Gem Stone stepped forward, “You don’t have to. The only ponies who need orders are the ones in front of you. Minus the foals.”

Confused Cirrus looked at the ponies around him as Madam Melody clarified, “Sir… Ve are your officers. Vis your order, ve shall see to it zat ze soldiers are taken care of. You command us, ve command zem. Zat is ze key to having officers, is it not?”
Cirrus was unsure, “b-but i…”
Gem Stone placed her hoof on his shoulder, “Cirr-… Commander. We will be beside you to help. All you need to do, is tell us what you need, and how we can help, and we will see to it.”
Cirrus shook his head as he spoke in anger, “I don’t know what I need alright!”
With that, everypony stared at Cirrus with concern as he explained, “I’m not good with words like Zine… I’m not strong as you. I don’t even have any experience with others that can remotely help.”
Jet stepped forward, “that’s not true! When the flu made all of us sick, you were able to tell the rest of us what to do to help them get better.”
Allium added, “That’s right and when Mr. Toll was out of town, you planned all those fun things for us to do till he got back.”

Cirrus started to argue, “That’s different, I was only doing what you all enjoyed while taking care of you.”
Gem Smiled, “then you’re over qualified. Soldiers are just foals with more discipline. In the end if you can plan for taking care of twenty foals, then you should have no problem leading about ten officers to take care of the rest of your army… after all, Zine is the biggest foal here.”
Zine smiled, “Well, compared to an old mare like you, I’m barely a day old.”
Gem gave him an angry look, “What was that!?!”
Cirrus thought to himself as he replied, “but… what should I say?”
Gem smiled, “anything you want, just remember, they look to you for motivation so talk like a commander. Around them, I am Captain Stone, and when they talk to you, it better be sir, or commander.”
Madam Melody sighed, “Please, zis isn’t some boot camp. He can speak to zem visout formalities..”

As Madam Melody and Gem Stone started back at giving each other dirty looks, General Dash spoke, “look, I understand things aren’t easy… but leading an army isn’t supposed to be. Needless to say, the third party is made up of sixty percent of what used to be the Rebellion, so now you have at least ten thousand soldiers at your command. Add that to my seven thousand and you have a formidable army… however it’s still nothing to Thundaga’s three hundred thousand that’s scattered all across Equestria.”
Cirrus still was clueless, “but what do I s-”
All of a sudden, a commotion echoed through the cavern as everypony’s attention went to the front of the cavern as Spike slowly tried to step through the herd of working ponies, “sorry, sorry, excuse me, sorry, nice hat, sorry.”
Back at the balcony Cirrus looked at Dash, “Wait… how did Spike get in here?”
Dash nodded his head, “A dragon hanging around outside might draw attention so I showed him where the supply elevator was. But…”
Zine smiled and held in his laughter, “Spike has been stuck in there for the past three hours. The big guy was just barely big enough to get through.”

As Spike was making his way through the cavern he looked forward and could see the group that were eye level with him as he spoke, “oh commander, there you guys are.”
As soon as he said that the ponies in the center of the cavern started speaking amongst themselves, “wait… did he say commander?” “Did he mean Commander Halo?” “Is that the Commander?” “Is he the Third Commander?” “Is that him?”
Hearing the commotion, Cirrus felt a little nervous as Gem Stone spoke, “Sir… looks like you need to address your troops.”
Cirrus looked at her, “What?… but… what do I say?”
Zine replied, “Say whatever you want… you are the commander, say something that a commander would say.”
“Like what?”

Gem Stone repaid, “reinforce their decision. Right now, your soldiers are meeting you for the first time, and I’m sure they want to know if they made the right choice to fight for you.”
Cirrus looked at Gem, “but how do you know that?”
Gem smiled, “because, I was the same way. With Commander Bolt all those centuries ago, and with you a few days ago. They want assurance that you will bring peace to the kingdom, while keeping their wellbeing in mind.”
Cirrus thought to himself as Madam Melody added, “Zink of zem as ze foals from ze orphanage. Tell zem vat zey vant to hear.”
Cirrus nodded, “okay…so do i just start talking or…”
Gem Stone smiled as she winked, “don’t worry sir, I'll get them ready for you. Just follow my lead, and in front of them, my name is Captain Stone, Captain, or just plain Stone.”
Seeing her wink, Cirrus felt skeptic as he replied, “Um… okay.”

With that, Gem turned around and started trotting up the stairs to the third story walkway as her confident smile, faded into a careless scowl. Confused by her change in expression, Cirrus just continued following until they reached the third story as Gem looked over the railing at the crowd below as they continued bickering amongst themselves. As she looked over the herd, her expression became angry as she yelled, “AT EASE THAT POINTLESS CHATTER!!!”
Hearing the angry tone in her voice, the bickering herd almost immediately silenced themselves as Gem Stone continued, “COMMANDER ON THE FLOOR!!! ATTEN-TION!!!
Most of the herd knew what to do as they quickly jumped to the position of attention. As for the rest, they saw the actions of the others and quickly followed suit until everypony in the center of the cavern, minus Spike was standing straight with their eyes forward as they waited for instruction.

Seeing that the herd was now ready to be addressed, Gem Stone turned to Cirrus as she saluted and spoke with an official tone, “Commander Halo, your soldiers are ready to be addressed!”
Seeing the actions from the floor below them, General Dash smiled, “oh she’s good.”
Zine smiled, “that’s Captain Gem Stone, second best soldier of the Nightmare Legion. If anypony can be official, it’s her.”
Back on the third floor walkway, Cirrus nodded as he approached Gem Stone and whispered, “What do I do now?”
Gem whispered back, “salute me back, then turn to them and say at ease, then you can begin talking.”
Cirrus nodded his head as he saluted her and spoke so everypony could hear, “Thank you G-” Gem’s expression got angrier as Cirrus corrected himself, “I mean, Captain Stone.”
With that, both ponies dropped their salute as Gem Stone took a few steps back and stood behind Cirrus as he turned to the herd and spoke, “um… At ease!”

With that, all the ponies watching from the center of the cavern relaxed their stance as Cirrus continued, “I um… I understand the reason you’re here is to see the Third Commander right?... Well… You’re looking at him. My name is Cirrus Cloud, and if you have heard the rumors, then you would know that I have been marked as the Third commander. And… I’m sure you also heard the rumors of what happened in Canterlot a few days ago right… well… I'll lay those rumors to rest.”
Cirrus gestured to Gem Stone as he continued, “A few days ago, Captain Stone and I approached Thundaga and made a request. Although Captain Stone did all the talking, our feelings were the same, as she told Thundaga to her face, that she should step down and relinquish her status as Princess of Equestria.”

Hearing that, made a bunch of the ponies in the herd whisper amongst themselves as Gem Stone called in anger, “AT EASE THE CHATTER!!!... Sir?...”
Nodding to Gem Stone, Cirrus continued, “Yes… we faced her and made this demand, and… as anypony would expect, she retaliated with violence. Following the demand, Captain Stone and Thundaga faced each other in a one on one fight. Sadly… Captain Stone was unsuccessful, however she and I both managed to escape with our lives. Though our attempt was futile, we will not give up so easily. Therefore, I have come here to gather more forces. I promise you, we will make a second attempt to bring peace to the kingdom. Just as the prophecy says, I will bring that peace, even at the cost of my life.”
With that the herd started looking at each other in reassurance as Zine smiled before calling to Cirrus, “Commander! Tell them about your plan!”

With that Cirrus gave Zine a confused look as he replied too quietly for the herd to hear, “my… what?...”
Zine continued, “You know. Your plan for your second attack on Canterlot! It was a brilliant plan when you told us about it! You should tell them too!”
Feeling like he was placed on the chopping block, Cirrus looked at the herd as they each showed expressions of curiosity towards how he would reply. Seeing their expressions, Cirrus hesitated, “uh…”
Although it was too quiet to hear, Gem replied in anger behind him, “Zine, you idiot. What are you doing?…”
Knowing that he caught him off guard, Zine smiled as Cirrus looked back at the herd and replied, “okay… my plan… well… first I will need all of you to, um… Hone your skills.”

Replying with a clueless look, the herd held their silence as Cirrus explained, “We may be an army, but we all have skills that allow us to stand out. Some of you have experience that pushes you ahead of your peers. I say hone that skill. Practice your swords play, Increase your flight speed, and challenge your magic. That way you will become a formidable opponent alone and as a whole. A wise pony once said, in order to defeat your opponent, you must first know how to defeat yourself. Use it! And if you’re already proficient in your skills, help those around you. Let’s make this army one that Thundaga will think twice before challenging and I promise when we face Thundaga we-”
“In Three days!!!”
Cirrus gave Zine a confused look as he added to his called statement, “give or take a day or so.”
Because he thought the time was too short, Cirrus replied, “in less than a week! We will face Thundaga again, and this time, we will gain our peace, No matter what!”
With that, the herd started cheering as Cirrus looked back at Gem Stone behind him who was applauding slowly in acceptance of his speech as Cirrus sighed in relief.

With that Cirrus turned away from the herd and trotted to Zine as he spoke I anger, “What’s this three days crap? And what are you trying to do, turn them against me? Why did you tell them I had a plan?”
Zine smiled in sarcasm, “well I merely assumed you did. You mean we rushed here so quickly without a plan? Seriously sir, a commander should be better prepared.”
Getting close enough to the ledge to hear the conversation, Spike added, “quickly?... we spent the night in the ruins of old Canterlot.”
Gem trotted up as she replied, “as much as I hate to admit it… and I do. Zine has a point. If anything this reassured them for the time being. However, we still have a lot to do before they feel content with this.”
At that moment, Apple Barrel and Butterscotch Pie approached as Butterscotch smiled, “Halo Commander.”

Zine smiled, “Ha! That’s still funny.”
Apple Barrel rolled his eyes before stepping forward and saluting, “Commander Halo that was a mighty fine speech you gave up there. And I for one would like to offer our services to ya, as your new officers. Of course we can’t accept anythin’ below lieutenant if that’s alright with you sir.”
Cirrus gave him a confused look, “we?”
Butterscotch added, “Yep, I want to join too. This party seems to fun to just trot away from.” He looked at General Dash, “oops, sorry General. We didn’t mean to defect in front of you, but you know. We didn’t want to wait till he had too many officers.”
General Dash sighed as he replied, “Sure, go ahead. It’s not like you’re joining an army that we are fighting against. If anything its good competition for the rebellion to compare ourselves to. As long as our goals are the same, it doesn’t matter who you fight for.”

Zine smiled as he held out his hoof and patted Butterscotch Pie on his shoulder, “welcome aboard friend, this will make things fun.”
Butterscotch Pie gave him a funny look as he smiled and replied, “Whoo, that was weird. For a second there I thought I felt a cold chill go up my spine. Or a twitch in my ear, But that would be impossible… wouldn’t it?”
Zine smiled as he replied, “Maybe, I seem to have that effect on others… the spine one at least.”
Cirrus smiled as he reached out to bro-hoof them, “Welcome to the Nightmare Legion.”
Gem Stone gave him a surprised look, “Wh-what did you say?”
Cirrus looked at her as he replied, “oh, sorry. I thought about giving the Third Party an official name. and of all things, I decided to name it after the Nightmare Legion. I think that as a second assault on Canterlot, the name seemed appropriate. That is, unless you object.”
Smiling at the offer, Gem replied, “no, it’s fine. With the kingdom the way it is, it certainly seems like another Nightmare Crusade. So if that’s what you want to call us… then I'll agree to it.”

Cirrus smiled, “Then it’s settled. From this point on, we are the New Nightmare Legion.”
Zine smiled, “I’ve been called a nightmare before, but never like this. Kinda makes me feel like I belong. Anyways…” he turned to Apple Barrel, “Where are we on that manticore hunt? We have less than a week you know.”
Apple Barrel gave him a confused look, “what? You were serious?”
Zine smiled, “of course I was, I wouldn’t ask you to take on a manticore as a practical joke now would I?”
Cirrus gave him a hopeless look, “uh… yea… probably.”
Zine shook his head, “well this time I’m not. A manticore is definitely needed. Especially if we intent to take on Thundaga.”
Gem Stone gave him a serious look, “is this spell really that necessary?”
Zine replied with a node, “absolutely. I can’t give details, but without this spell, our chances for success will be near zero.”

Seeing the seriousness of Zine’s reply, Cirrus sighed, “If you’re sure, then we should probably do as you ask.” He looked at Apple Barrel, “hey do you know if anypony down there is a hunter or trapper?”
Apple Barrel nodded his head, “Yes sir, I reckon we have a few in there.”
Cirrus replied, “Good App-”
“Lieutenant…”
Hearing Gem Stone’s correction, Cirrus nodded as he corrected himself, “Lieutenant Barrel, gather as many of them as you need and go after a manticore. Feel free to use any resources available but be careful. I hope you can catch one without anypony getting hurt.”
Apple Barrel nodded his head as he replied, “sure thing sir, we’ll do our best.”
With that Apple Barrel started trotting off as Butterscotch stepped forward, “what about me? What can I do to help?”
Cirrus shrugged his shoulders as he replied, “honesty… I don’t know.”
Zine smiled, “I do… Lieutenant Pie? I need you to deliver a message to Canterlot for me. It isn’t dangerous, but it needs to be done.”
Concerned, Butterscotch looked at Cirrus as Cirrus asked, “what message?”
Zine replied with a smiled, “a friend… or at least a trustworthy acquaintance. Nothing to concern yourself with for the moment commander. Just know that this too has to be done.”

Unsure of Zine’s actions, Cirrus replied, “Well… if it needs to be done, then do it. Just make sure Lieutenant Pie is safe in this delivery.”
Zine smiled, “don’t worry, he will be safe. In fact the message isn’t even dangerous. If he gets stopped by royal guards he wouldn’t even get in trouble.”
Cirrus nodded as he started to trot away, “then I'll leave you to it. As for me…” his expression became a combination of annoyed and tired, “I need to think of a plan for the fight.”
As Cirrus trotted away Gem stopped and gave Zine an untrusting glance, “what are you up to?”
Zine smiled, “I don’t know what you’re talking about… I merely need to contact a pony whose skills can help. That’s all.”
Gem Stone replied, “Really? And who is that?”
Zine smiled, “her name is Tundra. I asked her to make something for me a week ago. If she is done then I want her to deliver it here. If not, then I hope she can put a rush on it.”

Gem continued staring at him, “and that’s it…”
Zine smiled, “of course… would I lie?”
Gem didn’t respond instead she stared at him in awkward silence as he smiled sarcastically, “right… I would wouldn’t I?… what I mean to ask was, would I lead us further into danger?”
Gem Stone replied with a serious tone, “the real question is… do you know of what I might do to you if you did?”
Smiling with an uneasy stare, he replied, “of course, I’m aware of all the horrible displeasures you can bestow on me without killing me, so don’t worry about a thing, you have my word that no danger will come of this.”
Gem replied, “See to it that it doesn’t.”

With that Gem Stone trotted away as Butterscotch spoke, “wow… and I thought you were scary.”
Zine sighed in relief, “really… sometimes I wonder who is really the crazy one?… oh, wait… it’s still me.”
Zine chuckled at his own joke as Butterscotch joined him in a laugh before Butterscotch stopped laughing and asked, “Oki-doki Tundra was it? Where in Canterlot is she?”
Zine replied, “On the far end next to the Castle Gate, she is in charge of the facility located just across the street of those gates.”
Butterscotch thought to himself, “That’s funny, there isn’t anything there but a royal guard post… but wouldn’t that mean?”
Zine smiled sinisterly as he replied, “Yea… She is the commanding officer of the royal armory. Her name is Major Tundra Storm of The Equestrian Royal Guards.”