• Published 12th Jul 2022
  • 1,411 Views, 31 Comments

STAR WARS - EMPIRE'S EDGE - Chadbane



Hera, Kanan, Ezra, Sabine, Zeb, and Chopper are on the run. After just barely escaping an Imperial ambush, the members of the Ghost crew make a blind jump to lightspeed and crash land on a mysterious planet.

  • ...
2
 31
 1,411

Chapter VII - "The Council of Friendship”

Author's Note:

New chapters coming soon due to a resurgence in inspiration thanks to the Disney Plus Tv Show: Ahsoka!

Kanan Jarrus had seen many wondrous things in his lifetime. As a young Jedi, Caleb Dume—the auspicious Padawan of Master Depa Billaba—had often explored vast alien worlds with his mentor. In their many travels and constant wanderings, Kanan had beheld the majesty of countless alien races; each with their own culture, history, and art. But all those twinkling stars, all those brave new worlds could hardly hope to hold a candle to what the ex-Jedi was seeing right now. The massive crystalline palace that was this "Twilight Sparkles" home was unlike anything he had ever seen before. The palace itself was a single gem, expertly carved by what Kanan had to presume was the finest craftsmen on the planet. Kanan could only imagine what thoughts were going through the heads of the other members of the Ghost crew as they walked through it, gazing in amazement at its architecture and beauty. Kanan wondered about Ezra Bridger, especially, who had hardly been anywhere at all except for the wide open plains of Lothal. Kanan watched him as his eyes wandered, twinkling like diamonds at the crystalloid structure as the crew followed the small purple dragon called Spike through them.

"You're gawking," Kanan smirked, softly nudging Ezra on the shoulder.

The youth regarded his friend and mentor with a large grin, replying, "Of course I'm gawking! Are you seeing this place? Its like we're walking through a living kyber crystal! Can't you feel all that lightside energy, Kanan?!"

The ex-Jedi laughed. "Oh, I can feel it, alright. No need to remind me every ten seconds."

"I guess it's like the old saying. You can never have too much of a good thing," Hera said with a smile of her own. "I only wish I could feel what you two are feeling right now."

"Aren't we already?!" Sabine butted in. "This place is amazing! I've never seen a castle literally cut out of a single stone before!"

The small purple dragon leading the group through the crystalline palace gave a hearty chuckle and proudly proclaimed; “If you think this is wild, you should see the Crystal Empire! The entire kingdom is made out of crystals—even the ponies!"

The members of the Ghost crew exchanged glances. "Not like, LITERAL crystals, right?" Sabine asked after a few moments of dumbstruck silence.

The dragon stopped in his tracks and glared at the alien visitors over his shoulder with a mischievous grin "—even the ponies!" he reiterated.

Once again, the members of the ghost crew exchanged glances.

"Oh, come on, you guys," muttered Zeb, crossing his arms. "The kids just teasing us. The ponies can't LITERALLY be made out of crystals. That's impossible."

The dragon lifted a brow. "You’re a giant hairy alien and you have a hard time believing this?”

Sabine chuckled and pointed approvingly at the young drake. "Point."

Zeb ignored the girl and rolled his eyes.

Aliens I’ve seen before,” said Zeb. “Walking and talking shiny minerals is something I have not.”

“Eh, no scratches on my scales,” Spike replied with a shrug. “But you stick around here long enough and I’m sure you’ll see a thing or two harder to believe than Crystal ponies.”

The Lasat gave a scoff. “What’s harder to believe than that?”

Just as the words were leaving his mouth, the young drake leading them through the castle threw open the large doors to a grand banquet hall complete with a long table just piled high with delectable food and pastries. The vast array of dishes was accompanied by a variety of beverages both familiar and not.

"Whoa!" exclaimed Ezra Bridger. "Is all of this for US?"

Spike nodded proudly.

"Yup! When Twilight heard you were hungry, she asked Pinkie Pie to whip up something while she gathered the rest of the council. Enjoy!"

Zeb chuckled and stepped forward, rubbing his hands together in anticipation. "Oh, don't mind if I do! Give the chef my regards."

"That goes for me as well," added Sabine, following the Lasats lead. "It looks amazing!"

"I think that goes for all of us," said Kanan, turning to Spike. "We're grateful to you and your friends."

"Absolutely." agreed Hera. "We can't thank you enough. We're in your debt."

"Ah," Spike smiled, waving his claw. "Its nothing! We're just getting you fed before you meet the rest of the gals."

"Do you think it will take long for the council to convene?" inquired Hera, curiously.

"I wouldn't worry about it," answered the drake with a wink. "When a problem arises, the council of friendship always assembles fast!"

"We appreciate the haste." said Kanan. The ex-jedi paused then turned to Hera as the dragon walked away from them to join the others at the table for lunch. "Wait, did he say council of friendship?"

Hera nodded.

"I think I heard that, too."

Kanan stared into the chamber at the ghost crew as they began to dig into the feast.

"Somethings weird about this place." said the Jedi, crossing his arms. "Everybody's too nice. I think we should be cautious."

Hera chuckled.

"While I agree... wouldn't you rather discuss it over...?" the Twi'lek walked over to the table and picked up a round pastry with frosting and sprinkles on it. "...Whatever this is?"

Kanan gave a chuckle of his own and smiled.

"Alright. You win. Food now, questions later."


The scene inside the throne room of Princess Twilights castle was very much alive with debate. Having all received the news of extraterrestrials from a galaxy far, far away, everypony was sharing their sentiments and excitement to meet the new visitors from the stars.

Well, everypony except Rainbow Dash. The rambunctious mare had already voiced several objections.

"Oh, COME ON, TWILIGHT!" the rainbow-maned Pegasus exclaimed as Twilight Sparkle finished conveying a brief synopsis of the current situation. "You're letting them stay in the palace?! And we know nothing about them?!"

"Calm yerself down, sugarcube," Applejack, the country mare, suggested from across the table. "Ah'm sure Twilight was just being hospitable-like in the moment while she was figur'n out what to do. It ain't like she planned for space-folk to drop outta the sky for an unexpected visit."

"I concur with Applejack,' Rarity, the refined seamstress, agreed. "It was only proper to offer them a place to stay for the night; what with Fluttershy vouching for them and all."

"But we don't know anything about them!" Rainbow Dash protested. "All we know is that they're from outer space! Do you have any idea how many things could go wrong with visitors from outer space? The answer: A LOT OF THINGS! Haven't you girls read anything about aliens?!"

"Really, Rainbow Dash!" Rarity exclaimed. "Just what have you been reading?"

"What?" Rainbow Dash answered, innocently, "I'm not saying they're evil or anything! I'm just saying maybe we should be careful! We can't just blindly believe everything they tell us!"

"And jest what have they told us so far?" Applejack raised an eyebrow. "We ain't even heard what they want from us yet!"

"That's why I called you all here; to help me figure out what to do," Twilight Sparkle explained, standing up from her throne. The six mares in the room watched as the alicorn began to encircle the table, keeping her eyes glued to the floor in concentration as she continued; "There's something strange about these visitors for sure--something that goes beyond the fact that they're extraterrestrials. Several of them are humans--like the ones I've told you about on the other side of the mirror--only these ones don't seem to be affected by Equestiran magic. When a human passes through the mirror, a magical metamorphosis takes place, turning a human into an equine no different than us. But for some reason, that hasn't happened to these humans. It doesn't make any sense!"

"Maybe the magic doesn't affect them because they're not from the other side of the mirror," Starlight Glimmer suggested from the place she was standing beside Twilight's throne. "You said that they told Fluttershy that they were from outer space. Doesn't that make them local? I mean, dimensionally-speaking?"

"Oooh, I like that word!" Pinkie Pie commented. "DIE-MEN-SION-AL-LEE! It sounds made up, but I'm preeeeetty sure it's a word in the Oxford Dictionary!"

"Ox-who now?" asked Applejack, shaking her head.

"I don't know," said Twilight. "All I know is that something doesn't feel right here, and I'm afraid it could spell danger for Equestria."

"M-m-maybe you could just ask them?" Fluttershy interjected, meekly. All six of the mares turned to Fluttershy, who bravely resisted the urge to shrink away from their gazes and forced herself to be more assertive for her new friends. "They seemed nice to me when I met them in the forest," she continued. "I think they're just looking for a way to get home. I'm sure if we asked them how we could help, they would be more than happy to tell us everything we want to know."

"Ah agree with Fluttershy," Applejack said. "Ah think we oughta give them an honest chance to do some explainin' 'fore we decide to kick 'em to the curb."

"I second that... most colorful notion, Applejack," Rarity agreed. "And let it not be lost on us that this is the second time Fluttershy has vouched for them. That would suggest to me that these, erm, other-worlders, made quite an impression on her during their time together. And if Fluttershy is willing to vouch for them so readily, then it would be most untrusting of us to ignore an endorsement from the element of kindness herself."

"I third that," Starlight Glimmer added.

"Fourthed!" exclaimed Pinkie Pie.

"Ugh," Rainbow Dash grumbled, sinking into her chair. "Fine! But I'm going to keep a close eye on them!"

"So that is it? Its settled, then?" Twilight Sparkled asked, looking around. "Nopony has anything else to say?"

"Well, what else is there to say, darling?" Rarity asked. "I don't see how we can fairly pass judgement over these creatures without having ever met them before. Unless of course you have a bad feeling about them? I hesitate to say it, but it seems to me the idea of so readily accepting them is proving to be difficult for you, darling. Clearly something very serious is on your mind if even the Princess of Friendship is having doubts about these strangers."

"Rarity's right, Twilight," said Applejack. "Somethin's eatin' you up. It's as plain on your face as that horn a'yours."

"It's not just the arrival of these aliens, is it?" Starlight Glimmer probed. "Spike told me earlier something else has been bothering you."

Twilight Sparkle gave a sigh.

"Spike's right. Something has," the alicorn answered, defeatedly. "The truth is, I don't know what it is myself. All I know is that lately I've been having strange dreams—dreams that feel so real that sometimes I wake up and wonder if I'm still dreaming. I went to Princess Celestia to tell her about them—but something inside of me felt like it wasn't the right time. I don't know how to explain it. It just doesn't feel like something anypony can help me with right now. I think I have to discover what it is on my own."

"That sounds plum awful, Twilight." Applejack offered, sympathetically. "Ah'm so sorry to hear that. Ah wish you didn't feel this way 'bout figurin' it out on yer own—but if you think that's the best way to handle it, then you do what ya got to, sugarcube. Jest rememebr yer friends are here in case ya need anything along the way. Aren't we, gals?"

The six mares joined in a collective affirmation of their support.

"Thanks, everypony," Twilight smiled, weakly. "That means a lot to me. Really."

"So are you going to tell us about these dreams, or what?" Rainbow Dash asked, pointedly. "Spill the beans already!"

"Now hold up there just a minute, Rainbow," Applejack chastised. "Twilight will share the dreams with us when she's good n' ready. Won'tcha Twilight?"

Twilight gave another sigh.

"Yes, I will. But now's not the time. Now's the time to deal with the task at hoof."

"Alright!" Starlight Glimmer agreed. "Let's get to it, then!"

Twilight smiled and gave a determined nod.

"Yes, let's. Starlight, retrieve our guests, please. The council of Friendship is ready to see them now!"


The alien forest was immensely thick—much thicker than Agent Kallus had imagined upon studying initial scans of the planet. There was also something distinctly... unnatural about it—something dark and perhaps even sinister; but Agent Kallus couldn't quite put his finger on what it was. Light from the planets strange sun barely pierced the thick canopy above the landing zone where the Lieutenants scout troopers had chosen a patch of dry ground to act as the mission staging point. Agent Kallus watched as his Imperial engineers began to clear the soon-to-be encampment with large forestry equipment, making way for the most essential part of the staging point—a laser-gridded fence. On a potentially hostile planet like this, seeing the laser fence go up was always a source of ease for the troops—especially Agent Kallus who couldn't shake the feeling of an ever pressing darkness.

Perhaps he shouldn't have volunteered for this mission, after all.

Agent Kallus folded his arms behind his back and watched as the progress on the landing zone unfolded rapidly. He had to admit, he was impressed. Lieutenant Lyste certainly knew his stuff. Although logistics had never been of particular interest to the Agent, he could appreciate the talent that the young Lieutenant Lyste had for his occupational specialty. Competence in the Empire was expected—but not always achieved—making it a somewhat rare commodity. Agent Kallus was pleased that there was at least one well-oiled cog in the machine running smoothly.

"Agent Kallus, Sir," came the voice of a Stormtrooper as Agent Kallus continued to stare. "Lieutenant Lyste requests your presence at the command post. He wants to go over something with you from the briefing."

Agent Kallus gave a nod.

"You may tell the Lieutenant I will be there shortly."

"Yes, sir," the stormtrooper saluted.

As the trooper walked away, Kallus quickly glanced at the dark forest one last time and turned to follow him. However, as his eyes darted across the dark forest scape, a pair of glowing yellow eyes peered back at him from the shadows. Agent Kallus did a double take, but by then the eyes were gone.

"Wait, Corporal?" Agent Kallus called back to the departing stormtrooper.

"Yes, sir?" answered the well-trained solider, turning around.

"Did you see that?"

The stormtrooper gazed in the direction of his superior.

"What are we looking for, sir?" the stormtrooper asked, returning to Kallus' side.

"I saw something..."

Agent Kallus and the stormtrooper stood silently for several moments, scanning the forest for the anomaly.

"Well, whatever it was," said the stormtrooper finally. "I think its gone now. If it was dangerous, we're safe here within the perimeter. Once the laser fences go up, there won't be anything to worry about.."

Agent Kallus frowned to himself.

"I wouldn't be so sure, Corporal..." He turned to the solider and straightened his posture. "Well, I believe we were on our way to a briefing, weren't we?"

"Yes, sir!"

With that, the two began to make their way to the command post. Although Agent Kallus didn't see them when he stopped and glanced over his shoulder one last time, a pair of glowing yellow eyes continued to watch him from the shadows.


The spirits inside of the hall just shy of the grand council chamber in Twilight Sparkles castle were high for the most part. Having just satisfied their hunger, the members of the ghost crew were awaiting the return of Spike to beckon them into the next chamber for their meeting with the council of friendship. Moments earlier, a lilac unicorn by the name of Starlight Glimmer had retrieved them along with the young drake, and now they stood just moments away from meeting the supposed rulers of this realm known as Equestria. Although injected with a newfound surge of sugar and excitement, Kanan Jarrus and Hera Syndulla did their best to have a collected discussion with their comrades about the upcoming meeting.

"Okay, here's the plan," Kanan was saying. "We don't mention anything about the Empire. Our story is, our ship crashed after passing through a solar storm. We just need to get off this planet as soon as possible so we can return to our people."

"Wait, we're going to lie to them?" Ezra Bridger asked with an upraised brow. "That feels wrong, Kanan—especially after how well they've treated us since we got here. I think they deserve the truth.”

"I think it’s better for everyone if we leave the Empire out of this, Ezra.” Hera said. "We don't want to cause a panic to a peaceful civilization that has nothing to do with our war against the Empire."

"But they could be in danger!" Ezra protested. "Don’t you think we should warn them so they can prepare for the Empire in case it was able to track us here?”

"Ezra has a point," Sabine conceded. "Normally, I would trust your instincts when it comes to a situation like this, Hera, But if we don't tell these natives the truth—Ezra's right—they won't have a chance to prepare themselves for a defense against the Empire. Not only that, but we don't manage to repair the Ghost and escape by then—they're going to feel betrayed. They're going to feel like we used them as a diversion. They'll hate us."

"Well, that's not a good argument," Zeb muttered. "They could end up hating us either way. The only difference is that they might hate us now rather than later if we tell them the truth.”

"But at least this way they'll have a chance to do something about it, Zeb," Sabine shot back. "I know personally I would appreciate someone more if they warned me about a hornet in the room instead of waiting for it to sting me before saying anything about it."

Kanan gave a sigh and glanced at Hera.

"You're right. Both of you. Hera and I meant well when we talked about it, but it looks like honesty might be our best option here."

"Are you sure?" Hera asked, cautiously. "You know I'll support anything you decide, Kanan."

"Anything we decide," Kanan smirked. "We're in this together, remember?"

"All of us," agreed Sabine.

"Together!" said Ezra.

"Eh, right. Speaking of togetherness, I'm confused," said Zeb, rubbing his forehead. "We're going to tell them about the Empire? What exactly are we going to say?"

Chopper chuckled and gave an answer in the form of binary beeps and whistles.

"I'm going to assume Chop didn't say anything useful," Zeb rolled his eyes.

"You'd be correct," answered Sabine.

"Hmm, Zeb brings up a good point," Kanan acknowledged, stroking his chin. "What exactly do we tell them? There has to be a balance between telling the truth and not giving them reason to panic."

"Do you think it can be avoided either way?" asked Sabine.

"I think that’s the risk we take by telling the truth." Hera admitted.

"Maybe we're all looking at this the wrong way," said Ezra. "It seems pretty clear to everyone there's a downside to this—but we're choosing to ignore the good that could come out of it as well. Maybe there will be a small panic—or maybe they'll give us their full trust and agree to help us get off this planet as soon as possible! They've done everything they could so far to welcome us into their home. I think we should give them the benefit of the doubt. I think they’ll want to help us. It’s what they do!”

"Hmm," hummed Kanan, giving a small nod.

"Well said, Ezra." Hera smiled.

"Well said, but it doesn't answer my question." Zeb muttered. "What exactly do we tell them?"

"The truth, Zeb. The whole truth." Ezra answered, proudly.

"Eh... right." Zeb frowned. "Well, I guess I should make peace with the fact that that was the last good meal I'd have on this planet."

"Don't be such a pessimist, Zeb," Sabine chuckled. "I'm sure there's some delicious rations awaiting for you when we get back to the camp."

"Whoopie..." said Zeb, unenthusiastically.

Moments after this conversation had concluded, the doors to the chamber behind the ghost crew creaked open and revealed a sheepish lilac unicorn with teal and purple mane approaching them with an awkward smile. The crew immediately recognized her as the unicorn from before, Starlight Glimmer, and perked up in anticipation of her presence.

“Hey, every, uh… creature! Sorry for the wait.” the unicorn chuckled. "The council will see you now!"

The ghost crew exchanged glances. Hera gave Kanan a nod and Kanan turned to the unicorn to give a nod of his own.

"We're ready." the man said.

Starlight Glimmer gave her best smile and used her magic to open the doors to the chamber behind them completely.

"Everycreature, I give you—THE COUNCIL OF FRIENDHSIP!" Starlight Glimmer announced dramatically.

Inside the large, circular chamber, the members of the ghost crew were once again in awe of the scene before them. A large table, seemingly alive with a magical hologram of some sort, stood as the centerpiece of the chamber with seven glorious crystal thrones surrounding it—each occupied by a pony of different color, shape, and size. There were ponies with wings, some with horns, and some without either entirely. And right next to the throne that seemed to be at the very head of the table (despite the table being round) sat a small throne belonging to no other than the drake himself—Spike the dragon.

"Whoa!" exclaimed Ezra in amazement.

"You can say that again." agreed Sabine.

"Welcome, everycreature!" Twilight Sparkle, the alicorn they had met briefly when they first arrived at the castle, stood up from her throne and addressed them, warmly. "The council of friendship has gathered here today in honor of your arrival. We hope that the following discussion will be fruitful and the beginning of a new friendship."

The ponies on the council of friendship agreed and each gave a manner of their own greeting.

Ezra smiled and waved back at the ponies while Kanan and Hera bowed respectfully.

“Thank you, councilmember, Twilight,” Hera said. “We appreciate the councils time and the more than hospitable welcome.”

“Oh, you don’t have to call me that!” Twilight said with a friendly smile. “Twilight is fine.”

“Yeah!” A rainbow maned Pegasus said from her throne. “And its PRINCESS TWILIGHT if you're going to be all fancy about it!"

“Rainbow Dash!” A unicorn with purple mane chastised. “Mind your manners! Our visitors meant no disrespect. It is unlikely they are familiar with our decorum. We should allow them courtly grace!”

“We're honored at your consideration, councilmember,” Kanan answered. “But we understand ignorance is no excuse for this lack of decorum." the human turned to Twilight and gave another bow. "Forgive us, Princess Twilight."

"It's fine...?" the purple alicorn answered confusedly, a bit thrown off by the humans formality.

“There, you see?” The white unicorn with purple mane smiled. “They’re very well mannered. We ought to treat them with the respect they deserve.”

“I wasn’t being rude!” The rainbow maned Pegasus insisted, innocently. “I was just saying that if you’re going to use a title, it might as well be accurate!”

"Please excuse our friend Rainbow Dash, y'all." A orange pony in a cowboy hat said kindly. "She tends to be mighty suspicious of space folk."

"I am not!" Rainbow Dash protested.

"Are tooooo~!" a pink earth pony giggled from across the table.

"Alright, quit yer yappin, y'all." the pony in the cowboy hat chuckled. "Ah'm Applejack. That there is Pinkie Pie and this here is Rainbow Dash."

"Sup?" Rainbow Dash said.

"Hiiii!" waved Pinkie Pie.

"Um, hello." Kanan answered, surprised at the councils extroverted behavior.

"Hello, Pinkie Pie. Hello, Rainbow Dash. Hello Applejack." Hera said, respectfully.

"And you may call me Rarity," said the proper white unicorn with purple mane. "It is my deepest pleasure to make your acquaintances."

"As it is ours as well, councilmember," Kanan concurred.

"And I'm Starlight Glimmer," the unicorn beside Twilight Sparkle said. "Although, you probably knew that already. And I think you've met Fluttershy, Spike, and Twilight as well, right?"

"We have," Hera said. "Hello again to you all."

"So now you know our names," Rainbow Dash said, pointedly. "But what about yours?"

Before Rarity could chastise Raindbow Dash once again, Ezra stepped forward and introduced himself, quickly.

"I'm Ezra! Ezra Bridger." the youth said, proudly. "Thanks for everything so far!"

Kanan gave Ezra a "let me handle this look" and turned back to the ponies.

"Yes, we're all very thankful. Truly. My name is Kanan Jarrus. This is Hera Syndulla and Sabine Wren. The big guy is Zeb."

The ghost members each nodded respectfully as Kanan introduced them (except for Zeb who gave a "Hmph" instead).

Behind the group, a grumpy noise rang out as Chopper rolled forward.

"Oh," Kanan rolled his eyes. "Right. And this Chopper."

The droid whistled a greeting.

"Ooooh," Pinkie Pie cooed from her throne. "A robot! That's pretty cool, huh?"

"Eh, it's alright, " grumbled Rainbow Dash (although there was a subtle look of interest on her face).

"Its a pleasure to meet you all," Twilight Sparkle said with the same warm tone from before. "We Equestrians love to make new friends—especially friends from such far away places. Whiiiich brings me to my first potentially invasive question," the mare chuckled sheepishly. "No pun intended. Where are you all from, exactly?"

Each member of the ghost crew instinctively answered quickly with a variation of the term "it's complicated," and "that's a long story" before they all realized they had spoken at the same time and shut up.

"Ahem," Kanan cleared his throat, giving the other members a look. "What everyone means to say, is we come from different parts of the galaxy. But our homebase is a planet called Lothal."

"Lothal?" Rainbow Dash echoed. "It sounds like a cat."

"You're just saying that because Lothal rhymes with Opal." Pinkie Pie said to Rainbow Dash with a grin. "Although, now to think of it—it really depends on how you pronounce it. If you say LOTH-AL you have to say OH-PAL for the two words to rhyme. But if you pronounce Opal as OH-PUHL like Rarity does, then they sound like two completely different words! Which, I don't know about you, but to me is preeeeeety funny when you think about it!"

"Let's try to focus here, Pinkie," Starlight Glimmer said with a slight chuckle. "Although you've definitely given me something to think about later."

"Eh, it's what I do," shrugged the pink mare with exaggerated poise.

Twilight giggled at her friends antics and said, "Thank you, Starlight. And thank you for the thought, Pinkie Pie. I'm sure it's a thought all of us will take to heart."

Zeb lifted a brow and turned to Sabine.

"Is she for real?"

The Mandalorian teen shrugged.

"I mean... They do sound kind of similar."

Zeb rolled his eyes at the tease. Meanwhile, Twilight addressed the group again, saying; "Pinkie Pie likes to share random thoughts sometimes. No offense to the name of your planet."

"No offense taken, your highness," Hera answered as politely as ever. "We respect that everyone has a voice on your council."

"Oooh, she's a little darling!" Rarity exclaimed. "And look at that marvelous green complexion. Simply divine! You must allow me to sew you a dress later, Miss Hera—I insist!"

"Oh," the Twi'lek blushed, slightly, "I'm... flattered, really..."

Kanan laughed, seeing his friend so flustered. It was a rare thing to make Hera Syndulla blush.

"I think she'd like that," Kanan chuckled. "Thank you, Rarity—er, councilmember."

"It's my deepest pleasure!"

"I'm glad you're all getting along," Rainbow Dash frowned. "But let's hold off on the dress-making until we ask some serious questions, yeah?" The mare turned to the crew of the ghost. "Twilight and Rarity are too polite to ask—so I will. What brought you to our planet? Fluttershy said that you crashed. What's all that about?!"

"Rainbow Dash!" Rarity cried in horror.

"I know it's rude!" Rainbow Dash shot back "But these are important questions! The sooner they answer them, the better."

"That question..." Kanan began to say. "is actually a very complicated one to answer."

There was a pause as the eight friends exchanged glances.

"Yes," Hera agreed with a sigh. "And, if we're being honest—before we were brought before your council—we debated whether or not we should answer it... But we think you deserve the truth."

"Well, ah don't think any of us like the way that sounds, sugarcube," Applejack answered after a few seconds of silence. "Ev'n so, we appreciate you want'n to be honest with us. Ah think ah speak for the gals when ah say we want to know whats bothern' yah even if its somethin' you don't think we'd want to hear."

"See guys? I knew they'd understand!" Ezra exclaimed, happily.

"Hold on, Ezra," Kanan said with a frown. "Lets hear what they say first when we tell them before we start to celebrate."

"Tell us what?" Fluttershy asked, meekly. "It sounds like you're talking about something scary..."

Kanan gave a deep sighed.

"I'm not going to sugarcoat the truth. It is."

"I knew it!" Rainbow Dash cried, leaping from her chair as she pointed a hoof at the strangers. "Something smelled fishy from the start!"

"RAINBOW DASH!" Rarity chastised, angrily. "REALLY! MANNERS!"

"Don't give me that, Rarity! You heard them yourself!"

"Oh, stop embarassin' yerself, Rainbow!" Applejack said. "Ah think we should let'em finish answer'n 'fore me make any assumptions." The country mare turned back to the visitors. "Sorry, y'all. We're ready to hear it."

Kanan turned to Hera, then glanced at Ezra. The boy gave a reassuring nod. Kanan sighed once again and switched his attention back to the council before him.

"This answer won't be easy to take. We're only telling you this out of good faith."

"We don't want to start a panic," Hera added.

"Agreed." Kanan nodded. "But unfortunately, the answer might make it impossible to avoid. The answer, is: War."

The faces on the council became solemn.

"War...?" Spike asked after a few moments of silence.

"You mean fightn'?" Applejack asked.

"You mean... killing?" mused Starlight Glimmer, worriedly.

"Both." Kanan said, firmly. "Like I said, this wont be easy to hear—but my crew and I—we're part of a small rebel force in the outer rim of our galaxy called Phoenix Squadron. Our mission is simple—we want to free the people of the word Lothal from Imperial control."

"Imperial?" Rainbow Dash asked, a bit more curiously than angrily.

"The Galactic Empire." Hera clarified. "A galaxy-spanning tyranny that has already consumed thousands of planets."

"And it consumes more by the day," Kanan added, sadly. "Planets like Lothal. Which his how we came to be stranded on your world."

"We were retreating after a battle," said Hera. "Trying to escape an Imperial ambush. But in the haste of the retreat, our ship was badly damaged and we were forced to land here. It was our only chance at survival."

"That's right. I wish I could say that's the only bad news, but the truth is, we don't know if the Empire knows we're here."

"Kanan is eluding to is the fact that before we crashed on your planet, the Empire was tracking our ship after the ambush." Sabine spoke up. "We destroyed the tracker, but we don't know if the signal it was able to reach the Empire or not."

"Which all goes to say one thing;" Kanan frowned. "You could be in danger. All of you. This planet, your people—everything."

The eight friends at the table of the council of friendship all exchanged alarmed expressions. It was clear the news was troubling indeed.

"Okay, that sounds reallllly bad. But they could also have not been able to track you, right?" Pinkie offered with an unconvinced, hopeful grin.

"It's possible," Sabine answered. "But like we said, we don't know for sure. We wanted to tell you the truth now so you know how dire the situation is."

"Which brings us to the point of why we're here," said Hera. "To ask you to help us to repair our ship so we can leave this planet and draw the Empire away from your world before it's discovered."

The ponies cast slow, nervous glances at one another—unsure how to reply. Kanan took this as a queue and continued; "Its the best solution we can think of. You planet doesn't appear on any star chart we know of. We doubt the Empire is aware of your planets existence. If we act fast, we think we might be able to lead the Empire away before they even know you're here."

"And you're certain this will prevent them from finding us?" Twilight Sparkle asked, solemnly.

"We're not certain of anything." muttered Zeb. "That's what we're trying to say. Er, no disrespect, your highness..."

There was a long silence. Finally, Twilight Sparkle said, "What else can you tell us about this Empire? Can they be reasoned with...?"

"I don't think they can," Hera replied, sadly. "Many have worlds have tried—only to be consumed by its unquenchable thirst for power."

"Hera is right," Ezra added. "The Empire stops at nothing to get what it wants. It murdered my family. I was an orphan until Phenoix Squadron gave me a home."

"How terrible," Rarity gasped. "You poor thing."

"Yeah..." sighed Zeb. "It's all terrible. Now you know why we're here." The Lasat stepped forward, boldly. "Like the others said, we're asking for your help. Now what do you say?"

The council was silent once again. After the ponies had exchanged glances for the third time since the session began, the purple alicorn at the head of the table gave a frown.

"We will take a brief recess to talk it over." she said. "You and your friends can wait outside."


Elsewhere, in the thick of the Everfree Forest, Agent Kallus marched along side Lieutenant Lystes platoon of stormtroopers as the ever-anxious man commanded his forces from the hatch of one of their hover-tanks. The two light-division infantry vehicles that they had been provided made up the main column of the small imperial force, while stormtroopers made up the body around it. Although not the most strategic assembly, Agent Kallus had said nothing as the Lieutenant ordered the formation from the Imperial staging point just a few hours earlier. He knew the unseasoned Imperial Officer was afraid. Deathly afraid.

'As he should be', Agent Kallus thought to himself. Detailed scans of the forest had confirmed his hunch—the wildlife was incredibly dangerous. Monstrous creatures lurked behind every rock and tree—some with grotesque biology Agent Kallus could hardly believe upon analyzing the data for himself. He counted them fortunate that they had yet to run into any of these abominations on their mission thus far—but his senses told him there was a presence lurking in their shadow. From the corners of his eyes he could catch glimpses of it now and so often, but it had yet to make itself known in the flesh.

Agent Kallus frowned. Whatever it was, it wanted him. And that sent a slight tingle down his spine like few things had ever done before.

"A-Agent Kallus?" came the Lieutenants voice.

Agent Kallus shook his head and quickly regarded Lieutenant Lyste as the man addressed him from atop his hovertank.

"Yes? What is it, Lieutenant?" the Agent answered, promptly. "Something on your mind?"

"Well, no, it's just..." the Lieutenant gave him a wary look. "...I was hoping you would contribute some of your expertise as we approach the rebel position? You seem to have extensive knowledge on such robust military operations. It is a wonder to me why you were not put in charge of this mission. I feel so... inadequate."

Agent Kallus smirked—a bit surprised by the Lieutenants admission, but thankful for the chance to distract himself from the shadowy stalker.

"Do not trouble yourself with such thoughts, Lieutenant." Agent Kallus replied. "I doubt the rebels will be expecting us. The element of surprise should provide sufficient advantage in our favor to make up for any inadequacies."

"Is that how you handle such situations?" the Lieutenant asked, curiously. "You do not trouble yourself?"

Agent Kallus managed a chuckle at that.

"There are some things you cannot plan for, Lieutenant. Strategies rarely survive first contact. Especially when it comes to this... imaginative, rebel group."

"Should that concern us?" the Lieutenant asked, hastily.

"On the contrary," Agent Kallus replied. "It should strengthen our resolve. These rebels are only so creative when they are on the retreat. With nowhere to run, what will their clever tricks amount to?"

"You make it sound so simple," the Lieutenant sighed. "Do you really believe it will be so easy?"

Agent Kallus lifted a brow.

"That all depends on what you mean by easy."

"A word that I find difficult to define myself in this instance," Lieutenant Lyste admitted. "But I can't help but keep thinking... What about the Jedi...?"

Agent Kallus chuckled to himself once again.

"You might find the stories of these particular Jedi to be greatly... exaggerated." Agent Kallus answered, confidently. "In terms of their ability to inspire—it's indisputable. But in the way of raw power, they reserve themselves to lethal action only when necessary. I believe Kanan Jarrus and Ezra Bridger are more idealists than Jedi fighters. They go to great lengths to preserve life—even those of their enemies."

"Of their enemies?" Lieutenant Lyste asked, doubtfully. "I always heard Jedi were merciless beats—responsible for massacres all over the galaxy during the Clone Wars. Did not many planets refuse to join the Imperial/Separatist Correlation—simply because they had seen the destruction of the Jedi first hand before Emperor Palpatine had them purged?"

"I do not know the validity of such histories, Lieutenant Lyste," Agent Kallus answered, dismissively. "All I can say with confidence is what I've seen with my own eyes; and these Jedi are not particularly violent. I assure you, we are quite safe—if not in our numbers, then in their propensity to seek a peaceful solution within conflict."

Color returned to Lieutenants Lystes face as he let out a sigh.

"That's... a relief. Thank you, Agent Kallus. I think you are right. These rebels should be swift to surrender! They have nowhere to run... and I doubt even a Jedi can withstand a Platoon of the Empires finest!"

Agent Kallus smiled in agreement.

"That's the spirit, Lieutenant. Now onwards! Our rebels friends await."

"Indeed!"

With that, Lieutenant Lyste went back to his duties enthusiastically.

Agent Kallus smirked. It was good that the Lieutenant had regained some measure of confidence. A leader always had to be strong for his men. But Agent Kallus still couldn't shake the feeling of something stalking them in their wake—just beyond his peripheral vision—lurking in the shadows with a piercing gaze.

"Onwards..." Agent Kallus whispered to himself.

But he wasn't so sure how far "onwards" would take them.

He could only hope the answer was "far enough."

Comments ( 5 )

I have got to say, well done. No beating around the bush but not rushing it either. You got the characters well enough from both franchises and your plot setup is intriguing. Looking forward to more, which is a pity how criminally underrated this is compared to other (subpar) Star Wars crossovers.

Oh, boy. The first contact between tyranny and friendship is about to happen!!!

It good to see this back. I had nearly forgotten about since it has been a year between updates. I look forward to the next chapter and hopefully there will be a discussion in regards to Magic and the Force.

this will be interesting

I found this story a few months ago, but I didn't realize it got an update til recently. It's nice to see it continue.

Login or register to comment