• Published 6th Dec 2015
  • 25,938 Views, 5,387 Comments

The Moon in the Dark - Tatsurou



When little Luna falls down a deep pit, she discovers a world she never knew existed...and an adventure that will reshape the world as she knows it.

  • ...
85
 5,387
 25,938

PreviousChapters Next
Hot Times In Hotland

As Woona made her way north into Hotland, she came across a split in the path. Both went further north, but each was a conveyor belt, one going north, one going south. As she took the one heading north, she entered a FIGHT with a monster that looked like a tiny volcano with a happy face. The text above its head by its HP named it a Vulkin.

It wants a hug, Chara told her, knowing how much she liked to hug monsters.

"Hugs!" Woona proclaimed happily, hugging the Vulkin. The embrace warmed her heart, and the Chilled Apron protected her from any harm hugging an active volcano would cause.

"So...LOVEY!" the Vulkin proclaimed happily, spraying magic fire around. Woona allowed the Chilled Apron to block the vast majority of the energy, barely taking any damage at all, which was quickly restored by the Apron. The FIGHT lines dissolved, and the Vulkin went on about its way, leaving 40 gold behind, which Woona happily pocketed.

Another set of conveyor belts lied to the north, these twisting and turning, but still going only north to the next platform and south back from it. Woona crossed without incident. Further north, strange steam blowing panels with arrows on them awaited. "Hmm..." Woona muttered as she stepped onto it, only to be propelled into the air. "WAH!" she screamed out, flying incredibly high due to her low body weight and her wings and apron catching extra lift from the steam vent.

A passing Tsunderplane saw her conundrum, and swooped in to catch her, depositing her further north. "I didn't help you because I like you or anything," the Tsunderplane proclaimed, turning away with a huff.

Woona suppressed her giggles as she sat close to Tsunderplane, but not too close. "Thank you," she said with a smile. "I really didn't want to land in the lava..."

Tsunderplane blushed as she looked away. "Well...I-I'm not about to let that happen..." She then twitched. "But don't make a habit of needing my help, b-baka no kouma!" With that, Tsunderplane flew away, leaving 60 gold behind. Despite it not having been a FIGHT, Woona was happy for that sign of friendship.

Further north, Woona found her path blocked by an orange laser. "Orange?" she spoke up, confused. "I haven't encountered orange magic before...what does it mean?" At that moment, her phone rang, and she picked it up. "Hello?"

"H-hey, Woona," Alphys said nervously.

"Alphys!" Woona squealed happily. "What do orange lasers mean?"

"O-orange is the, uh, the oppo...uh..." Alphys continued to stammer.

"Alphys, breathe," Woona replied quickly.

Alphys took a few deep breaths. "Oh...I'm terrible on the p-phone..." she stammered.

Woona thought for a time. "Hmm...is there a time you don't have any issues speaking whatsoever?" she asked curiously. "I noticed you had trouble speaking face to face, too..."

"W-well...I'm less nervous if I'm all alone...like at the garbage dump..." she replied.

Woona grinned widely. "Pretend you're talking to Glad Dummy!" she offered happily. "He doesn't judge, and is always happy to see you!"

"But he knows that orange lasers are the opposite of blue!" Alphys countered. "Why would I need to tell him that?"

Woona said nothing, letting Alphys realize what just happened.

"...huh," Alphys stated thoughtfully. "I...I actually did it..."

"That's wonderful, Alphys!" Woona applauded, clopping her hooves against the ground. "I knew I could count on you!" She blinked as she got a dial tone in response. "Uh..."

Your praise left her too embarrassed, Chara explained.

"Oops..." Shrugging, Woona walked through the orange laser, making sure not to stop moving. A blue laser moved back and forth between orange lasers, and Woona made sure not to move as it passed over her. Seeing a switch beyond the lasers, she threw it, turning the lasers off.

As Woona continued on, she encountered a three way path split. Her phone rang again. "A-Alphys here," Alphys stammered. "The northern door...it won't open until you've solved the puzzles to either side. To solve them, you need to shoot a target after rearranging blocks so you can hit it. You get two shots, one for a block, one for the target."

"Sounds fun!" Woona replied. She paused as she stared at the steam vents. "...this isn't going to be, though..." Swallowing, she stepped on the vent, propelling herself far to the right.

The east puzzle was solved relatively easily, and Woona then made her way west...only to find her path blocked by a blue laser. She then received a text.

Alphys: Don't worry! I can hack this laser and shut it off! A simple task for the Royal Scientist!

The laser shut itself off. Smiling, Woona sent a reply text.

Super Moon: Thanks, Doc!

The second puzzle was more complex in appearance, but after looking at it for a time, Woona was able to see the solution.

Then came the problem. The steam vent would launch her too far to land on the center platform, so she didn't have an easy way to make it past. She stared at the narrow gap, trying to determine how best to cross it, only to feel a tug on her apron. Turning, she saw Chara pulling out the bone Sans had given her.

It's long enough to lay across the gap when it's out of the pouch, he explained. You can use it as a bridge here.

Smiling, Woona positioned the bone in place, walking across carefully. She noticed the bone starting to become brittle. Can't do that too many times, she murmured in her mind. The heat's not good for it...

A steam vent path led east, three vents obviously designed to perfectly launch someone of greater weight perfectly onto each one. Stepping onto the first, she yelped as she was launched high enough that the steam from the successive vents propelled her all the way to the other side, where she landed on a colorful green and white tiled floor. "...this looks like kitchen tile," she muttered as she got her bearings.

You'd best get ready, Chara warned her. I have a feeling something's going to happen here.

Nodding, Woona put her hoof to the SOULSTONE around her neck, filling herself with DETERMINATION.

PreviousChapters Next