• Published 6th Dec 2015
  • 25,935 Views, 5,387 Comments

The Moon in the Dark - Tatsurou



When little Luna falls down a deep pit, she discovers a world she never knew existed...and an adventure that will reshape the world as she knows it.

  • ...
85
 5,387
 25,935

PreviousChapters Next
Waterfall

When Woona awoke, she found herself curled up in Sans' jacket, snuggled up to his rib bones. As she stirred, Sans set her down on the sentry point he was manning, letting her stabilize herself. "feeling better?" he asked, his voice full of concern.

Woona pushed herself to her hooves before shaking herself off. "Yeah," she confirmed. "It was...a good sleep."

"i'm glad," Sans replied gratefully. "well, you'd best be on your way. let's hang out again sometime."

Grinning widely, Woona nodded eagerly and made her way onward through the dark blue caverns. It wasn't far before she came across a waterfall carrying large rocks down river, and another Dimensional Box. Noticing an Echo Flower on wooden platforms below the falls, she made her way there.

"I swore I saw something...behind that rushing water..."

Curious, Woona made her way to the waterfall, surprised to find a camera. Feeling a little silly, she began waggling her cheeks and making funny faces at the camera. Giggling to herself, she made her way across the water to the other side, dodging the boulders as they washed past her.

Entering a somewhat dark cavern, she found herself a bit lost in very tall grass. Thankfully, the path it was on was narrow, so she only had to move forward...but she paused as she heard two people talking. She couldn't make out what was being said by one of them...but Papyrus' voice came through loud and clear.


Papyrus approached the heavily armored figure before him nervously. "H...HI UNDYNE! I'M HERE WITH MY DAILY REPORT!"

"Go on," Undyne replied softly.

"UMM...ABOUT THAT HUMAN I CALLED YOU ABOUT EARLIER..."

"Did you fight them?" Undyne hissed out, gripping her spear tightly.

"I DIDN'T HAVE TO, BECAUSE THEY SURRENDERED!" Papyrus answered readily. "BUT...I DIDN'T KEEP THEM CAPTIVE, BECAUSE...BECAUSE THEY WEREN'T A HUMAN! JUST AN ADORABLE TINY PONY WHO WAS PRETENDING SO I COULD CAPTURE A HUMAN TO TRY AND ACCOMPLISH MY DREAMS OF BEING A ROYAL GUARD!"

"You told me her soul was powerful," Undyne growled out. "More powerful than a normal human soul. Was that a lie as well?"

"N-N-NO UNDYNE, IT WAS NOT!" Papyrus hastened to reassure her. "SANS USED DR. ALPHYS DEVICE TO MEASURE HER SOUL...AND IT'S AS POWERFUL AS FOUR HUMAN SOULS!"

Undyne stared at him, stunned. "Four? ...then I will have to be careful when I go to take her soul-"

"BUT WHY?" Papyrus demanded angrily. "OUR WAR IS WITH THE HUMANS! SHE ISN'T A HUMAN! WHY DOES SHE HAVE TO DIE FOR US? HER SOUL'S STRONG ENOUGH TO WALK THROUGH THE BARRIER ALL ON HER OWN! THERE'S NO REASON TO TAKE HER SOUL-"

"How long has it been since a human fell?" Undyne interrupted. "How long?"

Papyrus hesitated. "I...I DON'T KNOW..."

"So long that no one can remember," Undyne replied. "And the next one to fall with the right kind of soul isn't a human. Which means no more humans will fall. And likely, no others after her, either. If we don't take her soul, then we will be trapped down here forever...until we all 'fall down'."

"B...BUT..."

"You've done well, Papyrus," Undyne reassured him, "but I'll take it from here. A tiny blue pony with wings and horn...even if I didn't know she was wearing a hair ribbon and an apron for a cape, she would be easy to find."

Papyrus was silent for a time. "AT...AT LEAST PROMISE ME YOU'LL TELL HER WHY...AND THAT YOU'LL HEAR HER WORDS IN RESPONSE."

Undyne sneered softly. "I don't have time for-"

P r o m i s e m e

Undyne flinched, swallowing convulsively. That had definitely been Papyrus' voice...but there had been no sound. It had leapt straight from his jaw to her brain with her the only one who heard, just like Sans' "serious voice" that terrified her so much. And his eyes...they flashed orange as he'd said that, reminding her that - for all his silliness - Papyrus was Sans' brother. Undyne could see through her helmet that Papyrus' magic had spiked to incredible levels...and not from Determination. It was more as though something deep inside him had been tapped for the first time. "...I promise," Undyne replied.

"THANKS UNDYNE!" Papyrus spoke up gratefully, his voice once again completely normal. "I KNEW I COULD COUNT ON A FRIEND LIKE YOU!" With that, Papyrus turned and left.

Undyne shivered in her armor. With how goofy the skelebros acted, it was rather easy to forget that, in their own way, they were two of the most dangerous monsters in the underground. After all, they were the sons of Alphys' predecessor...whoever he was. Getting control of herself, she turned and left.


It's safe to move on now, Chara told Woona softly.

Shivering, Woona stepped out of the tall grass. She'd only heard Papyrus talking, but she'd heard enough to realize that this Undyne character was after her to take her soul, and that Papyrus had taken what steps he could to protect her. She struggled to control her breathing as she made her way forward.

"Yo-"

"AAAAAAUUUGGGGHHHH!" Woona screamed in terror as she leapt into the air, spinning around to see who had spoken...only to see she'd spooked MK into falling onto his back. "Don't sneak up on me like that!" she whimpered, putting her hoof to her chest as she tried to will her heart to slow down.

MK struggled to his feet, the sleeves of his sweater flopping around empty. "Yeah, sorry. Shoulda known you'd be in such an intense state. I mean, Undyne was right there!" He let out a high pitched, happy squeal. "So awesome! Come on! Let's go watch her beat up some bad guys!" With that, he dashed forward, only to trip and land on his face. Pushing himself up, he raced forward again.

Woona managed to get ahold of herself and followed along. ...I hope Undyne doesn't beat me up... she whimpered.

In the next chamber, there was a sign identifying another puzzle. It spoke about aligning four 'bridge seeds' to make a path. Seeing the seeds in question, she laid them in the water to make the bridge she needed.

Not long after, she encountered a monster with the head of a horse, a muscular upper body with hands at the end of the arms, and a fish tail. The FIGHT lines identified him as Aaron. He winked flirtatiously at her. "Hey there, filly!"

Woona stared at him nervously. "...I need an adult..."

I am an adul-

No, Woona corrected Chara as Aaron posed. No you're not. To Aaron, she spoke up, "I'm four."

The Aaron looked scandalized and promptly fled, leaving some money behind for apology. Continuing on, Woona came across another bridge seed puzzle, this one with a bell that could recall the seeds if she messed up. After solving the puzzle, her phone rang. "Hello?"

"HELLO WOONA! THIS IS PAPYRUS!"

"Papy!" Woona squealed happily. "How'd you call me? We didn't exchange numbers."

"IT WAS EASY! I JUST DIALED EVERY NUMBER SEQUENTIALLY UNTIL I GOT YOURS!"

Woona couldn't help but giggle. "Silly Papy..."

Papyrus laughed his distinctive laugh as well. "WOONA, LISTEN...A...CERTAIN FRIEND OF MINE IS LOOKING FOR YOU. AND SHE...DOESN'T EXACTLY HAVE FRIENDLY INTENTIONS FOR YOU."

"You mean Undyne?" Woona asked nervously. "I heard you talking to her. You made her promise to talk to me when she FIGHTs me, right?"

"YOU WERE THERE?" Papyrus asked, plainly shocked. "WELL, JUST MAKE SURE TO AVOID HER IF YOU CAN, OKAY? THERE'S...A CERTAIN POINT WHERE SHE'LL CHALLENGE YOU TO A STRAIGHT UP FIGHT. IT'S TRADITIONAL. DO YOUR BEST TO AVOID ANYTHING SHE DOES UNTIL YOU GET THERE, OKAY?"

"Will do, Papy!" Woona promised.

"AND FEEL FREE TO CALL ME IF YOU NEED ANY HELP WITH ANY PUZZLES YOU COME ACROSS!" Papyrus proclaimed proudly.

Woona giggled happily. "Thanks, Papy. Later!"

Knowing she had Papyrus on her side filled Woona with DETERMINATION.

Author's Note:

With what people have said about MK being the Scoot to Undyne's Rainbow...
Not a new thought.

Edit: And now with fanart of the Papyrus/Undyne scene, by glitch_effect.
Edit: since direct link to embed the image no longer works, please click the Source link below.
Source: https://www.wattpad.com/393775146-cringe-fest-promise-me

PreviousChapters Next