• Published 6th Dec 2015
  • 25,922 Views, 5,387 Comments

The Moon in the Dark - Tatsurou



When little Luna falls down a deep pit, she discovers a world she never knew existed...and an adventure that will reshape the world as she knows it.

  • ...
85
 5,387
 25,922

PreviousChapters Next
Truth, part 5

Once Woona awoke from her nap, she quickly made her way back to the intersection from before, this time deciding to take the path east she hadn't taken yet.

"Woona, what about the yellow node?" Chara asked. "We have the key now."

"We also have the green key," Woona pointed out. "And I wanna find the green node." With that said, she followed the path to a somewhat gloomy room filled with fans. A datapad nearby spoke of Alphys' insecurities regarding Mettaton and her friendship with him. Woona smiled softly. "Hope the dance helped her with that," she murmured as she made her way past the fans. At the other side of the fans, Woona found a switch, which she turned on.

The fans began to blow, improving circulation throughout the Lab. "Well, no node, but-"

The strange laugh echoed again, and the bits of white matter floating in the air that Woona hadn't noticed started gathering in the center of the room, taking shape as a ball with a smiley face. The ball descended to the floor, and with another laugh it morphed into a horrific figure with many legs, a massive body, pointed ears, a tiny tail, and a hole where the face was supposed to be. It slowly started to walk towards Woona. It let out a strange howling sound as it approached.

"Puppy!" Woona squealed happily, running up and hugging the creature's leg, which was all she could reach. The Endogeny leaned over and proceeded to lick Woona's back with a non-existent tongue that seemed to emerge from the hole where its face should have been. Woona paused as a strange feeling from the tongue percolated through her mind, trying to figure out why it felt strange...and then she gasped. "Lots of puppies!" she cried happily, racing all over the Endogeny to scratch it all over in an attempt to give all the puppies it was made of scritchies.

Before long, the Endogeny contentedly faded away. "Bye bye, puppies!" Woona called out as it did so, turning to walk out of the fan room.

"You know, with how intelligent and skilled at problem solving you are, it's easy to forget that you're only five," Chara murmured softly.

"Alicorn brains work faster!" Woona replied firmly. "Sis told me so!"

"Alicorn?" Chara inquired. "Sis?"

Woona hesitated, then lowered her eyes. "...later..." she replied at last.

"...fair enough," Chara allowed, still grateful Woona hadn't insisted on watching the other tapes, despite how curious she was.

Sighing to herself, Woona made her way back to the room that had been too dark to explore. As expected, the fans had cleared the room, allowing her to explore around the refrigerator units in the room. The data pads on the wall spoke of how Alphys, after what had happened to create the Amalgamates, had withdrawn from the world in shame.

As she made her way towards the door to the next room, the refrigerator unit closest to her warped as the strange laugh echoed again. The creature that walked towards her looked a bit like Snowdrake, but with a pair of Vegetoids fused to the face in place of eyes.

"Any ideas here?" Chara asked softly. "It looks like this one's...fading out."

"Sn...ow...y..." the creature murmured as it walked forward.

"He's gonna make it big as a comedian!" Woona called out. "Remembering his routine, I get chills!"

"haha..." the creature responded, standing a bit straighter. "I...remember..."

"He misses you," Woona told her. "His Dad, too. They're waiting..."

The creature smiled softly at Woona. "...thank...you..." She slowly faded away, sinking into the mist of the lab, a blue key left behind.

Picking up the blue key, Woona went into the tiny room beyond, using the green key on the matching node inside. Turning, Woona went back to the video room to use the yellow key before returning to the room with the beds before moving east. Finding herself in a hall of mirrors and yellow flowers, she paused to read the data pad nearest.

Entry Number 7
We'll need a vessel to wield the monster SOULs when the time comes.
After all, a monster cannot absorb the SOULs of other monsters.
Just as a human cannot absorb a human SOUL...
So then...
What about something that's neither human nor monster?

Woona frowned. Something about that description was unsettlingly familiar. Walking past the next mirror, she read the next data pad.

Entry Number 10
Experiments on the vessel are a failure.
It doesn't seem to be any different than the control cases.
Whatever.
They're a hassle to work with anyway.
The seeds just stick to you, and won't let go...

Woona paused as she felt Chara's rage building. "C...Chara?" she asked worriedly. "Is...something wrong?"

After a time, Chara's rage subsided. "It's nothing," he answered. "Let's keep going."

Sighing, Woona kept walking past a long line of mirrors, only for another Amalgamate to leap out of the reflection at her. This one had a bird's head, an incredibly long neck, and a stubby little body that bobbed around as though it hung from the head. Woona stared in fear, unsure what to do here.

Chara stared at the figure for a time, then spoke in Woona's mind. Woona, do exactly what I tell you. When Woona confirmed her understanding, he spoke up. Pray.

Nodding, Woona knelt down and prayed for guidance, and the creature seemed to respond. Its magic gathered, but its words were garbled.

Now do something mysterious, Chara instructed.

Unsure what else to do, Woona ignited her horn...and gave herself a mustache.

...seriously? Chara asked flatly.

It seemed to work however, as the creature responded. It spoke again, but only two words were legible. "...afraid of?"

Now pick on it, Chara instructed firmly. When Woona hesitated, he continued, Trust me.

Woona looked up at the creature. "Umm...hey, bean pole!" she called out.

The Reaper Bird seemed to smile as three distinct voices spoke up.

"Someone finally gets it."

"Ribbit Ribbit."

"...Courage."

The Reaper Bird then faded away.

"Umm...wha?" Woona asked nervously.

"It was a merger of a Final Froggit, a Whimsalot, and an Astigmatism," Chara explained. "I just told you what Flowey did in other timelines when he befriended those monsters."

Woona let out a sigh of relief. "Thanks, Chara," she said happily as she stepped into the final room, using the blue key to activate the last node. "I wouldn't have made it this far without you. And..." She smiled as she turned back, filled with DETERMINATION, "...as long as you're with me, I can do anything."

PreviousChapters Next