• Published 6th Dec 2015
  • 25,931 Views, 5,387 Comments

The Moon in the Dark - Tatsurou



When little Luna falls down a deep pit, she discovers a world she never knew existed...and an adventure that will reshape the world as she knows it.

  • ...
85
 5,387
 25,931

PreviousChapters Next
Filled

Woona yawned and stretched as she awoke from her nap in Napstablook's home. The floor, despite simply being solid wood, had been surprisingly comfortable. She noticed that Napstablook wasn't in, but a message was left on the computer screen.

Woona

You enjoyed being garbage with me so much you fell asleep. That made me...really happy.

I wanted to stay with you being garbage longer, but I had to get to work. Sorry...

I work at the snail farm to the east. I raise snails so monsters can look at them, talk to them, and watch them race.

You can visit me there if you like. Or not. It's okay either way.
Napstablook.

Woona hesitated. As much as she wanted to visit Napstablook at his work, most of her knowledge of snails involved how to season them for snail pie, and the other 91 uses for them in Toriel's book. As none of those uses had mentioned things like 'pets' or 'racing', she had a feeling that mentioning what she knew about snails at Napstablook's snail farm would probably result in major social awkwardness...and Napstablook had enough trouble with that as it was.(1)

Regrettably, Woona decided it would be best to not visit the snail farm. Heading back south, she made her way east. Noticing a sign over a cave entrance proclaiming it was a shop, she decided to stop in and see if there was anything she needed.

The shop keeper turned out to be a very old turtle, wearing an archaeologist's outfit complete with hat and magnifying glass. "Whoa there!" he greeted happily, his voice rather squeaky but friendly. "I've got some neat junk for sale."

Woona smiled happily. "Hi! I'm Woona! What's your name?"

The turtle laughed, a reedy, pleasant sound. "Name's Gerson, little lady-"

"Gerson?" Woona gasped out. "That's the name on Mama's photo, the one she didn't like talking about!"

"Photo?" Gerson asked, confused. "The only photo I ever took was for the Dreemur family, and the Queen took that with her when she went back to the Ruins."

"That's where I saw it!" Woona explained. "Back in Mama's house in the Ruins!"

Gerson looked down at her, his smile fading. "So...Toriel's yer Mom, then," he murmured, his inflection not quite a question.

"Uh huh!" Woona confirmed proudly. "She told me so!"

"She said ya could call her whatever ya liked?" Gerson asked hopefully.

"Nuh uh!" Woona denied emphatically. "She held me in her arms and said if that was what I needed, then she was my Mommy!"

Gerson groaned, putting his face in his free hand. "Oh Queenie...what were you thinking..."

"Wait...you wrote the inscription on the back of the photo?" Woona gasped. "How come you called Daddy 'Fluffybuns'?"

Gerson chuckled softly. "Sorry...don't really remember that story..."

"Well...I could ask Daddy when I see him..." Woona murmured.

Gerson stared. "You're...you're going to see the king?"

"Uh huh!" Woona proclaimed happily. "I'm gonna get Mommy and Daddy back together so we can be a family again! Then I just need to figure out how to give Chara his own body and bring Asriel back from the dead...pretty sure I saw a few books on Necromancy in the library up above..."

"So you are from the surface..." Gerson muttered. "Look, kid...if you succeed at getting the King and Queen back together and all the rest of that...come back to me and I'll tell ya the story of King Fluffybuns."

Woona grinned widely. "It's a promise!" she proclaimed happily.

Gerson managed a smile. "Until ya do, though...not to be unfriendly or nothin', but don't come back."

"Huh?" Woona gaped out, confused.

Gerson looked away. "I've...I've seen this happen too many times...I don't want to get involved again."

Woona sighed sadly. As much as she wanted to befriend Gerson and ask more questions, she knew she shouldn't push just now. "Okay..." she replied, turning to leave. She paused at the exit to the cave. "But when I'm done, I'm gonna come back and befriend the stuffing out of ya!"

Gerson managed a laugh. "Get outta here, ya crazy kid!"

He stared after Woona as she dashed away. Sighing sadly, he started packing. "One way or another...this is the end, isn't it?" he murmured softly.


Further to the east, Woona found more placards on the walls of the narrow path, telling the story of the war between monsters and humans. She chose not to read them, since she already knew the story from one of Toriel's books. Further east, Woona found herself in a large dark field with a path of luminescent moss leading to a trio of mushrooms. When she poked the mushrooms, they made a squeaking sound and lit up, illuminating another moss path. Woona gasped happily. "This is the way to Temmie Village!" she squealed happily.

Have fun with them, Chara murmured.

As Woona raced around illuminating the paths, she found herself in a FIGHT with a Temmie, a white creature with black hair that looked like a cross between a cat and a dog wearing a shirt. "H0i!" the creature greeted. "i'm tEMMIE!"

"So cute!" Woona squealed, glomping the Temmie.

"5o cyut!" the Temmie squealed back, glomping Woona.

Both eagerly began petting each other.

...you're not allergic? Chara asked, surprised. All humans are allergic to Temmies...

Not human! Woona reminded him happily.

"tEM t4ke u 2...TEM vILLAGE!" the Temmie proclaimed happily.

As the FIGHT lines vanished, Woona found herself in a large cavern where strange music echoed. Several Temmies were scattered about, along with a few signs. Woona approached the first sign.

H0i!!
welcome to...
TEM VILLAGE!!!

Woona giggled as she wandered around the small village, talking to the Temmies as they happily introduced themselves and their friends, who were also Temmie...except for one who was named Bob. Seeing the sign about the Tem Shop, Woona decided to check it out.

"h0i!" the Temmie shopkeeper greeted. "welcom to...da TEM SHOP!!!"

"Hi!" Woona greeted. "I'm Woona!"

"h0i! i'm tEMMIE!"

If you want an exercise in futility, ask about the history of Temmie Village, Chara offered in a grumbling tone.

"What can you tell me about your history?" Woona asked curiously.

"us tems hav a DEEP HISTORY!!!" the Temmie replied eagerly.

See what I-

Woona burst into laughter.

...eh? Chara asked confused.

"Tem Village...is underground!" Woona gasped out through her laughter.

"yaYA!" the shopkeeper Tem cheered. "some1 get it!"

...the entirety of Temmie Village is all for an obscure joke? Chara asked, his metaphysical eye twitched.

"yaYA!" the Temmie confirmed.

Chuckling, Woona fished through her inventory, seeing if she had anything to sell.

"u hav spyder doonut?" the Temmie gasped out. "hnn...i gota hav dat spyder doonut...but i gota pay for colleg..."

"College?" Woona asked curiously.

"tem sav munnies for colleg," the Temmie insisted.

"How much do you need?" Woona asked curiously.

"1000!"

Woona checked her bit bags. "Hmm...ah!" She placed 8000 gold down on the counter. "Now all of you can go to College-"

"WOA!" all the Temmies cried out in excitement as they rushed into the shop. "thas ALOT o muns...can tems really acepts..."

"Go on!" Woona encouraged them all.

"OKs!!! tems go to colleg and make u prouds!"

The Temmies all seemed to slide out of existence with the money, their smiles and eyes remaining. Woona tried not to look as they all slid back in. "tems learn make specil item for Woona!" the shopkeeper Temmie proclaimed, stuffing something into Woona's inventory.

Chara examined the item. The Temmies gave you a box of Super Tem Flakes. It...never runs out of delicious crunchies.

Woona took a hoofful out of the box and stuffed it into her mouth. "...these are tasty!" Woona declared happily. "How do you make them?"

"tems mak flakes by cutting up bout aytems!" the Temmie shopkeeper proclaimed happily.

"Recycling!" Woona declared eagerly, dancing out of the shop.

On her way out of Tem Village, Woona noticed one of the Temmies curled around an egg. "Umm...is that yours?" Woona asked.

"tem...WATCH EGG!!!" the Temmie proclaimed. "eg...WILL HATCH!!! tem...PROUD PARENT!!!" The Temmie glanced to either side. "tem learn at colleg that eg ned body heat to hatch," she whispered. "SCANDAL!"

Woona giggled. "I'll help you keep the egg warm!" Woona offered, curling up to the other side of the egg and laying one wing protectively over it.

You do realize the egg is hard boiled-

Pony magic and Temmie magic interacts through the SOULSTONE.
A NEWSOUL is born. The egg hatches.

...wat?

Woona gasped as she and the Temmie pulled back. The egg hatched, and a tiny Temmie tumbled out. "h0i!" it squeaked out in a tiny voice. "i tEMMIE!"

The Temmie who was warming the egg gasped. "not jus any tem!" the Temmie proclaimed. "Luk! Has horn and wings lik Woona!"

Looking closely, Woona saw that yes, the little Temmie had wings and a horn.

"is PRINCESS TEMMIE!" the 'proud parent' Temmie proclaimed. "we is...PROUD PARENTS!"

...please reset now... Chara groaned, burying his metaphorical face in his metaphorical hands.

"you is...PROUD PAPA!" the Temmie proclaimed happily.

The knowledge that she was now a parent to such an adorable creature filled Woona with DETEMMIENATION!

...Toby damn you to trash, Woona...



(1) Besides, Chara seemed to think that any humor from such a situation had already been done elsewhen in the various timelines.

PreviousChapters Next