• Published 6th Dec 2015
  • 25,924 Views, 5,387 Comments

The Moon in the Dark - Tatsurou



When little Luna falls down a deep pit, she discovers a world she never knew existed...and an adventure that will reshape the world as she knows it.

  • ...
85
 5,387
 25,924

PreviousChapters Next
Determination

After a time, Asgore managed to calm down and gently set Woona and Chara back down, wiping the tears from his eyes. "It is wonderful to meet you, Woona," he greeted warmly, his voice deep and strong now. "And it is good to see you again too, Chara. Now, is there anything I can do for you both?"

"I still wanna see your Battle Fork," Woona piped up, snickering a bit at the name.

"Oh?" Asgore asked curiously as he conjured the weapon again. "Why's that? Surely you have no need of such a weapon for combat." Reaching to his hip, he drank from a small flask of tea to steady his nerves.

"I need it to spank you," Woona explained bluntly.

Chara allowed the spray of tea from Asgore's mouth to pass through his body as he burst into laughter, Asgore coughing to clear his throat. "Woona, I think we've had enough laughter to break the ice," he chided his sister. "We can be serious now."

"I am being serious!" Woona insisted, stamping her hoof irritably. "This is the next step of bringing our family back together!"

Asgore's eyes widened, shocked. "Woona...as much as I would love for that plan to succeed...I do not think it can. And...I fail to see how spanking me with my own weapon would allow that to happen."

"I think I'm with 'Mr. Dad Guy' here, Woona," Chara agreed. "I'm all for getting Mom and Dad back together again, but what does spanking him have to do with it?"

"Mom left Dad cause he was a poopyhead," Woona insisted firmly. "At least, I think that's what happened, as far as what Mom said. So if Daddy gets punished and says he's sorry, Mommy will forgive him and then they'll get back together!" She grinned widely at her brilliance...only to glance back and forth between Asgore and Chara, who were looking at her with oddly mixed expressions. "Right?"

"You know, it's moments like this that remind me, no matter how mature you sometimes act, that you're still only five," Chara finally offered with a chuckle.

Asgore's deep chuckle joined as well, much to Woona's displeasure. "We are not laughing at you, child," Asgore promised. "However...things are not that simple when it comes to Toriel and myself. As much as I would want it to, I do not think such a simple approach will fix things."

"Why not?" Woona asked, confused and upset. "It's worked everywhere else in the Underground!"

Asgore stared at Woona with his jaw hanging. "Uhh..."

"Woona, when have you spanked anyone else in the Underground?" Chara demanded suspiciously.

"Not spanking specifically," Woona countered, confused as to why this caused Asgore to let out a huge sigh of relief. "But if I do the right thing for the right Monster at the right time, a problem gets fixed, every single time. It's just a matter of figuring out what the right thing is to do, and when to do it, and who to do it to or for to fix each problem."

And now I suddenly understand how Flowey could have gotten bored with helping everyone, Chara thought silently to himself. Aloud, he responded, "That may be...but I don't think spanking Dad is going to fix him and Mom."

Asgore nodded his head, confirming Chara's conclusion.

"If you want that to help things, it should be Mom spanking him after forgiveness is granted for when they make up-"

"Chara!" Asgore gasped out, blushing profusely. "Did you not just finish saying that she was five?"

As Chara burst into laughter, Woona tilted her head in confusion. "So...I should wait till Mom gets here and give her the Battle Fork to spank Daddy?"

Asgore quickly waved his hands in front of his face as Chara laughed. "No no no, Woona, that's not what we're saying at all!" He put his fist to his mouth and coughed nervously. "What we're saying is, while that may very well be how things work, we are pretty certain that spanking me, no matter who does it, is not the one right thing in the right place at the right time you need to find to fix things between me and Toriel. Though personally, as much as I might want to believe otherwise...I don't think there is such a thing..."

"I think you might be a bit pessimistic there, Dad," Chara spoke up. "I mean...I'm pretty sure Mom still loves you, and it's obvious you still love her."

Asgore's eyes widened in disbelief and hope. "Are...are you certain?"

"Not entirely," Chara admitted, "but I think the whole reason things went bad between you two is because you loved each other so much. It...made it so you each had a great deal of power to hurt each other. And...what you did really hurt her. And the worst part for her...is because she knows you didn't have any other choice. You had to give Monsters hope...or you would be King to an empty kingdom. She couldn't blame you for your choice, but the choice itself made it hurt too much for her to stay with you, especially in your shared hour of grief..."

Asgore sighed sadly, nodding in understanding. "I did...what I had to do. Sometimes, being a ruler doesn't mean choosing between a right choice or a wrong choice. Sometimes...all you can do is make the choice which seems the least evil." He leaned against a pillar, covering his face. "I was not ready for the crown when it came to me...but I have done the best I could...it was all I could do..."

Woona thought for a time. "Then...that decision you made isn't the problem that needs fixing to get you and Mom back together!" Woona concluded. "I mean, Chara can tell Mom about the starvation thing when she gets here, and you've taken good care of the souls...so if the Barrier gets broken and Chara and Asriel come back, then you and Mom can make up!" She grinned widely, pleased she came to such a logical conclusion.

Asgore chuckled softly at Woona's confident enthusiasm. "And you believe you can do that?" he asked softly.

"Yup!" Woona confirmed, rubbing the Soulstone hanging around her neck. "Where's the Barrier?"

Asgore stared, instantly recognizing the relic. "Wonder of wonders..." Turning, he led Woona past the throne room, and along a narrow corridor to a final door. Through the door, Woona stared out at an endless twilight, the boundary between reality and unreality, between life and death, between freedom and imprisonment. "The Barrier..." Asgore murmured. "The one point where it can be safely broken."

"Safely?" Chara asked, confusion in his voice.

Asgore nodded. "When the barrier breaks, there will be a magical backlash, as the energy of the barrier is released all at once, focused on the break itself. Since there's a way out here, the magic will be released outward safely to disperse, as the other end of the tunnel opens straight out into open air. Anywhere else, and the magic released would either damage something - if we used the opening above the Ruins - or backlash against the Underground itself, possibly destroying everything."

Woona nodded in understanding. She carefully stepped out before the Barrier, ready to make the attempt. As Chara once more infused himself into her, she reached into the Soulstone with her magic, and filled herself with DETERMINATION.


...unaware of the golden flower that watched from the doorway.

PreviousChapters Next