• Published 6th Dec 2015
  • 25,919 Views, 5,387 Comments

The Moon in the Dark - Tatsurou



When little Luna falls down a deep pit, she discovers a world she never knew existed...and an adventure that will reshape the world as she knows it.

  • ...
85
 5,387
 25,919

PreviousChapters Next
Preparing the Future

From the moment she took Chara into her soul, Woona knew she was on a time limit. The longer he was within her soul, the stronger he would grow. If she was to prove to him that she could bring the family back together, then she needed to do it while she was still stronger than him. If he grew strong enough, he'd be able to influence her decisions and actions...or have a strong enough presence to influence others perceptions of her. She would need to be both fast and careful.

Quite the conundrum you have, don't you? Chara murmured in her mind, plainly amused by her conundrum.

Woona did her best on the outside to pretend she didn't hear his voice. She didn't want to upset Toriel. However, she did notice that whenever Toriel hugged her, Chara grew quiet. Plainly he was affected by the presence of his goat-mom.

Woona felt the guilt of her plan in her heart. She'd told Toriel she was happy staying here with her...and this would require leaving the Ruins. It would hurt her so much...

She'll try to stop you, Chara whispered in her mind. She knows not all monsters will just let you move forward because you're nice and cute. Some will FIGHT you with their full strength, and you've never faced that. She'll make you FIGHT her, to prove yourself. Mercy won't help you then. He chuckled. How will you handle having to fight your Mommy?

Woona frowned. I...had thought about that possibility, she admitted in her mind. And I have a plan for that.

Oh? Chara asked curiously. A plan to FIGHT Mom?

No. A plan on how to not fight her. Her birthday's coming up... Woona winced at the very thought of the plan.

Talk about a birthday present, Chara taunted with a wicked chuckle.

Woona didn't like how Chara put it, but she knew it was true. Toriel's birthday would be the day Woona snuck away out of the Ruins. But maybe Toriel would forgive her, when she brought the family back together. But for now, she needed to prepare.


Nearly everything was set up in the house. All the decorations were hidden away where a single spell would reveal them all. Woona had even hidden the cake she'd spent hours baking in a pouch she'd slipped behind the vase on the table. The same spell that would reveal the decorations would unravel the pouch, making the cake appear as though out of nowhere. She would be able to give Toriel a wonderful birthday party...for as long as it lasted. All that was left was the present.

Making her way back to the spider bake sale, she approached the larger web. "Is...is it ready?" she whispered.

The spiders happily provided her with the bottle they had prepared, glittering inside with gold and blue.

Got Spider Cider+
Made to a secret recipe
Not for kids.

...your plan is to get her drunk? Chara asked derisively. He then grew thoughtful. Can monsters get drunk?

Dunno, Woona thought back. So it's a good thing that's not the plan. Slipping the special bottle into another pouch, she held out the empty temperature-regulated pouch. "It's time," she told the spiders. "Climb on in."

The spiders rapidly clambered into the pouch until they were all inside.

Got hundreds of Star Spiders.

Smiling, Woona slipped the pouch back into her saddlebags. "Here goes..." she murmured softly.


As Toriel awoke, she noticed that the house was quiet. Too quiet. She quickly got to her feet and rushed out of her room. "Woona?" she called out worriedly. "Woona, are you alright?"

"Out here, Mommy!" Woona called from the lounge.

Sighing in relief, Toriel made her way there. "Thank goodness, my child," she murmured softly. "It was so quiet, I was half afraid-"

As Toriel stepped into the room, Woona cast her spell. Streamers popped out of the walls, banners proclaiming 'Happy Birthday Mommy' dropped from the ceiling, and a pinata bounced around the room on a pogo stick for no apparent reason. A large cake also sprang up on the table. "Surprise!" Woona proclaimed happily.

Toriel let out a yelp of shock as the popping explosion sounds released from all around her. For a moment she even called her fire out of defensive instinct, only to calm down when she saw what had happened. "Goodness!" she gasped out. "You gave me quite a shock there. Just how long have you been planning this?"

"Weeks and weeks!" Woona proclaimed happily. "Happy Birthday, Mommy!" She eagerly raced across the floor, leaping into Toriel's arms for a big hug.

Toriel hugged her equine daughter tight, laughing the whole way. "This is wonderful, Woona," she gasped out between laughs. "You've done such a wonderful job, and grown so far." She blinked away tears as a thought crossed her mind. You've outgrown the Ruins, haven't you?

"Got you a special present too, Mommy!" Woona proclaimed happily. Reaching into her saddlebags, she pulled out a bottle. "Special cider the spiders made you! For grownups only!"

Toriel chuckled happily. "Well, I certainly don't want to disappoint them when they worked so hard on it." With a wide grin, Toriel chugged down the bottle.

Woona stayed close to Toriel as they laughed and played games, and as Toriel slowly grew more and more tired. Eventually, Toriel sat down in her chair to relax a bit...and her eyes closed.

...what did you do? Chara asked worriedly.

Sleeping potion mixed with the cider, Woona replied in her thoughts. I've got a few hours before she wakes up to make it out of the Ruins. I assume you know where I'm supposed to go?

...the basement, Chara replied. She's not going to be happy with you running off. Are you at least going to leave a note?

Better! Fishing through Toriel's pockets, Woona found her Cell Phone. Switching it to vibrate, she set it on the table where Toriel would see it the moment she woke up. Once I'm far enough out that she can't easily drag me back, I'll leave her a voice mail!

With that set up, Woona made her way down the stairs to the basement. Following the narrow, darkened path of purple stone, she came to a large door. Steeling herself, she passed through it.

Finding herself in a large darkened room, she wasn't surprised to find Flowey waiting for her in the only shaft of light present. "I bet you think you're clever," he taunted. "You've found a way to get out without having to FIGHT Toriel. All your friends in the Ruins...how do you think they'll feel when she wakes up hurting so because you're gone?" He let off a wicked laugh. "I'm actually looking forward to-"

Woona took a step towards Flowey.

Flowey blinked, pulling back a bit. "W...what are you doing?" he demanded, confused as Woona continued to walk forward. "You...you aren't supposed to move while I monologue. That's not supposed to happen. That can't happen!" Panic began to suffuse his voice as she got close enough to reach out and touch him. "S-stay back! Don't come any closer-"

Woona pulled Flowey into a hug. "I'm sorry I tried to eat you when we first met," she murmured softly.

You what? Chara gasped out in her mind, obviously torn in voice between rage and laughter.

"I'm sorry I blasted you away," Woona continued. "You were just being friendly your way...and I hurt you. Can you forgive me?"


Flowey stared down at the filly holding him so tight. He had been trying to kill her, to steal her soul...and she was apologizing? He didn't know what to make of it. Why was she so nice? Why was she so confusing? Why did he want to return the hug and tell her it was okay? Why did she fill him with such confusing feelings that left him not knowing what-

...with feelings...

Gasping, Flowey withdrew into the ground, fleeing a terrible realization he couldn't understand.


Woona blinked at the mound of dirt Flowey had disappeared into. "...how rude..." she muttered. "I wonder what that was about?"

Nothing to worry about, Chara reassured her as she made her way out, pulling out her Cell Phone to leave the voice mail.


Toriel awoke slowly in her chair. "Goodness," she muttered. "I guess I'm not used to so much excitement. I'm terribly sorry Woona..." She blinked in confusion when no one responded. "Woona?"

As she sat up, she saw her Cell Phone sitting on the table, blinking with a voice mail. Worried, she listened to it.

"Hey Mommy!" Woona's voice came through loud and clear. "Sorry about this, but I knew you wouldn't let me do this if you knew what I was planning. The 'adult cider' was mixed with a harmless sleeping potion...so I could make it out of the Ruins without you stopping me. I know you'll be upset hearing this...but I'm doing this for you.

"Daddy was a poopyhead, and that's hurt you a lot. I'm going to fix that. We're all going to be a family again. All five of us."

"Five?" Toriel gasped in confusion. "Child, what do you think you're doing?"

"I know what I'm doing," Woona's voice continued. "I'm going to find Daddy, and then I'm gonna fix everything that went wrong! I don't know how yet...but I'm too determined to fail! And while I'm at it, I'll deliver all the spiders safely to Hotland...wherever that is." There was a creak of a familiar door on the recording. "And there's the exit. I'll be okay Mom...brrrr! It's cold out here! And so much snow! I see why the spiders needed a lift. Maybe I should go back and grab a sweater or something..." There was the sound of hooves against stone. "...why won't this door open?"

"Oh, Woona," Toriel moaned in worry, turning to try and make her way after her little one, having no idea how far ahead she'd gotten by now.


Woona shivered as she pushed her way onward through the snow, doing her best to stay warm. There was no turning back now. As terrifying as that was...she wasn't alone.

Her brother's presence in her soul filled her with DETERMINATION.

PreviousChapters Next