• Published 1st Nov 2015
  • 6,710 Views, 126 Comments

Asriel's Journey through Equis - RenaissanceDreemurr



A strange and powerful being took pity on the poor soul known as Asriel Dreemerr, and decided it would be best for him to reestablish his compasion by sending him to the best place to do so, Equestria.

  • ...
14
 126
 6,710

Do Monsters dream of Demonic Flowers?

IN THIS WORLD IT'S KILL OR BE KILLED...
THIS IS ALL JUST A GAME...
IDIOT...
I'LL KILL YOU OVER AND OVER...
WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF I KILL THIS PERSON THIS TIME...
I'LL SHOW THEM WHAT THIS WORLD REALLY IS...

...
I'LL KILL EVERYONE YOU LOVE!

"Gasp!" Asriel woke suddenly, filled with terror as the malevolent voices echoed dark thoughts into his mind. His head was buzzing as his whole body quaked in fear at the horror he was forced to remember. He quickly huddled at one edge of the bed as he shakily sat up with his hands to his face with the look of pain etched all over. Slowly but surely the voices that echoed and cried throughout his mind ceased their endless chatter, relieving Asriel of the dread they caused him.

Taking a deep breath, Asriel began to look at his surrounding, confusion evident on his face before remembering where he was. Relieved that it was only a bad dream, he wiped his face, feeling wet; he had been crying.

Asriel was hesitant to get up as it was still very early from what he could tell by the dark sky out the window. Everybody was probably still asleep, snug in their beds without care in the world as to what was going on beyond what took place in their dreams.

Then came a tapping on the chamber door. Asriel wiped away any evidence of tears before calling out to the person behind the door, "Come in."

The handle on the door shifted with blue aura, revealing the night princess herself. "I'm sorry to intrude little somniare, but I noticed you had a rather nasty nightmare earlier."

Asriel looked up to her and shifted with surprise, suspicion, and a little fear, "How do you know that?"

She smiled lightly, "In this world, I'm the bringer of night little one, I am the sand mare that guards all of the dreams of Equis, and those who are lost in the soft fabric of the abstract plane."
The monster's heart sank, "Then you saw..." He was about to panic but the cool expression of the princess kept him from wallowing in fear.

The princess nodded slowly, "I am aware of your past Asriel, but do not fear as I know you do right now. I completely understand your position," she paused, "as I had once stood in a similar place." She downcasted her gaze, "Understand that you are not the only one with a regrettable past."

Asriel bit his lip, confused. 'Not the only one with a regrettable past?' "What happened?" He asked. The fear in him began to diminish.

She looked up to him and sighed, "It's better I show you," Her horn glowed a light blue as what appeared to be a mirror through time materialized, showing a castle with a full moon overhead. "Long ago," She began, "two rulers had guided a prosperous land called Equestria, the home of all Ponykind. The two were both sisters who possessed the gift of extended life. Their duty, were to bring forth both the day, and the night with the celestial bodies that hang in the sky, these two were both me and my eldest sibling Celestia. She would rule by day, and I by night."

The image fazed from the castle and to that of a tall regal pink haired mare sitting on a throne amongst small jovial ponies. Luna looked to the image and back to Asriel, "Every pony loved my sister and the day she brought forth. She had all the praise, all of the love a pony can give their ruler." The throne room transitioned to a darker tone with a milky silhouette from the moon. Sitting in a nearby throne was the night princess herself, looking dejected in her loneliness. "Nopony had ever come to my court or admired the shadowed garden I placed in the sky, and instead slept in waiting for my sister's sunrise."

Asriel looked at the image feeling a deep pang of emotion.

Luna sighed, "I had begun to resent my sister to the point of loathing, shunned her and her sun for many years to come. Understand that I was in a continuing state of depression, Asriel. I had even tried to kill myself at one point." Luna sat on her haunches and sighed, "That's when my insanity grew and took hold of me, and I aimed all of my fury towards her." Luna looked down in shame as an image of a wicked jet black mare with dark curling laughter appeared. "I had became a horrible twisted creature with sickly ideals of killing my one and only sister to rid the sun forever, and have an endless night that surely would have destroyed our world."

Asriel remailed silent, processing what the princess told him.

Luna continued as the mirror shifted to a spectacular battle that rivaled the greatest of light shows, "Luckily I hadn't gotten very far." She sighed, "My sister was unwilling to kill me even as demented as I was then. Instead, with the Elements of Harmony, she imprisoned me in the moon for a thousand years, and for a thousand years I waited."

"What happened after you were freed?" Asriel questioned.

Luna smiled, "I... I was saved." She turned to look out the window for a moment before spreading a small smile.

Asriel didn't know it but tears were streaming from his eyes again, not out of fear or pain, but of love; He felt love and a tender kindness in this mare's heart. This pony's words had touched him in a way that only one person in his life had before. He felt loved. For some reason, even though he was a stranger and different looking, the ponies he met had done nothing but help him, even though they had no reason to.

Luna turned to see the monster bawling before her, misinterpreting it as distress, "Oh no, are you alright! I- I didn't mean to upset I..."

Asriel sniffed and then laughed, confusing the princess further, "No, no" He waved dismissively, "I-it's not you, I, I am just so glad. I-it's been awhile since I could feel anything." Asriel wiped his eyes, "How can you ponies be so nice to someone like me? I should be in a flower patch watching the world until the end of time without feelings, yet, I'm here crying because I feel love towards you ponies. All of you seem to care about me, and I can't help but feel overwhelmed by all you've done for me so far."

Luna took this by surprise.

Asriel sniffed, "It's funny, I thought once that such compassion was a sign of weakness, that it didn't matter, yet..." Asriel trailed remembering the battle against Frisk. Flowey had threatened to kill all they loved, and yet, they still believed that there was good in him, that there was something special and good in every monster, even though they tried to hurt them, "And yet, it prevails." Asriel chuckled, "Determination really is the most powerful of magics wouldn't you say? when alongside the feelings of love and compassion, I believe the best of people can come out of it, even when it is someone supposedly lost in the dark."

Luna began tearing up before embracing the young monster, "W-well spoken, little one." She let go of him before coughing and hiding a blush.

Asriel was grinning happily.

"Well, anyway, you won't experience any more of those awful nightmares, I made sure to block any negative emotions that might pop up while sleeping, so you will be resting soundly from now on."

Asriel gave his thanks and the pony turned to leave out the door, but stopped to turn around real quick as she remembered something, "Oh, I had almost forgotten. Has Rainbow Dash given you that message?"

Asriel nodder remembering the exhausted pony that had flown all over the castle looking for him. "Yeah, don't know what it means though." He shrugged remembering the riddle, 'To open the gate, you mustn't use the key, but to break the hinge that bind the door shut.' Probably something to write down.

Luna frowned for a moment, "Well, maybe time will tell." She then nodded to Asriel, "Anyway, good night Asriel, I may not be here when you awaken, but if there is a problem, you can summon me in the dream realm."

"I don't think I will be able to go back to sleep princess, so may I join you before you leave?" Asriel asked.

Luna smiled, "You still are in deep slumber little one, in a few hours you will wake from this dream."

Asriel looked surprised, but looking around he could now tell that certain aspects about the room was off, such as the emptiness outside the window, and the crystal walls of the room were strange and shifting. Indeed this was a dream.

"Farewell, I must be off. Goodnight."

"Wait!" Asriel shouted.

Luna turned once more to meet Asriel who was now twiddling his thumbs, "Yes Asriel?"

Asriel looked down for a moment before looking into the pony's eyes, "Do... Do you ever worry about, turning back into her?"

Luna looked down a minute trying to find words, "Well, yes, I often do worry of becoming her again." She began taping her hoof for a moment as she looked towards Asriel, "It is one of my greatest fears."

"How do you deal with it?" He questioned the pony.

Luna sat down on her haunches as she quietly thought, "I, well..." She continued to think for a moment before a smile spread over her lips, "I think about those who care about me." The realization caught her, "The reason for why I became Nightmare Moon in the first place was because I was alone and angry, but now..."

Asriel could almost see a spark in her eyes.

"Now I have friends that will be there to prevent me from feeling saddened and angry. As long as I have them, I don't have to worry so much about becoming her again."

Luna's smile kept growing, "When you wake up Asriel, I would recommend walking and checking around Ponyville. I guarantee that you will at least make one new friend"

Asriel looked uncertain but Luna looked confident in her claim, "Well, I guess I could." He scratched behind his head.

Luna nodded as she stood up, "I must be away; remember, if there is any problem, or if you just want to see me, I will be in your dreams, you can count on that."

Asriel's smile returned, "Thank you, Princess."

A bright light flashed and the princess was gone. Asriel already began to feel his lucidity slip away without the princess to hold his consciousness in the dream. The walls of the room began to crack and fizzle as they were replaced by an enveloping white light.

The dream Asriel had after that was not one that was memorable, yet the feeling of that first good dream would remain in him always.


~:::~

Luna sighed as her consciousness returned to her body. She opened her eyes to meet Twilight's gaze. She was sitting in a well furnished chair with the look of anticipation about her.

"So what did you learn about him?" The purple mare asked.

Luna looked at the table before her to see a freshly made tea Twilight brewed while she was visiting Asriel's dream. She slowly grabbed a cup and began to press her lips towards it to take a sip. Afterwards she put the cup back on the table and turned towards the young Alicorn, "You have nothing to fear from him Twilight. He is quite a kind soul."

The princess was taken aback, "A-are you sure Luna?"

She nodded, "Though I must admit, he is quite troubled, He’s had a very dark past. Not many being I know are capable of coming back from such darkness."

Twilight looked down, "I have a bad feeling about having him in Ponyville. I, feel as if I've seen him before, that we've done all this before, almost like... déja vu."

Luna frowned, "Strange, you are not the only pony today to have mentioned this to me."
Twilight looked at Luna worriedly, "What does it mean?"

Luna waved her hoof, "I would not completely dismiss it, but do not let it affect your actions. Let's focus on the young prince instead."

Twilight didn't look satisfied but nodded. "What should we do with him?"

"I think it would be best to leave him with you, Twilight. It would be in his best interest.”

Twilight nodded slowly, "I understand." She bit her lips before asking, "So were you able to gauge his mana when you were in there?"

Luna sighed, "You won't be satisfied unless I tell you," Once again she looked to Twilight waited in anticipation, "Do you know the max level of an Equis magic user Twilight?"

She nodded with an unsure glance, "Yeah, the highest account for natural aura is 2.5 St.Sw."

Luna had a bad feeling about Twilight’s reaction to what she was about to say. "His potential magical level, may be at least twice as that." Suddenly she saw the young princess give a look of surprise and fear, but she quickly put it out.

"A-are you sure he is safe? I mean, if he ever decides to go rampant, it can be very disastrous for us." She Fidgeted thinking of the little monster amongst the wreckage of ponykind with a sinister smile.

The lunar princess shook her head, "Yes, he has power that can move the very mountains themselves if he wished. However, as I said, he is a very kind and fragile soul, but he does need tending to. Would you have him locked up? Sent to the moon if you will, so that ponykind may know it is safe until he returns? No!" She said sternly, "this will only ensure the outcome you propose."

Twilight burst, "But what do we do? How can we make sure that he doesn't turn on us?"

Luna frowned, "I'm surprised to hear this question from the Princess of Friendship herself."

Twilight was about to say something, but forgot with the realization of Luna's meaning. It now seemed that the weight of the world was put right on her back.

"I believe a mare who liberated Nightmare Moon, defeated the lord of chaos, stopped a Changeling Queen from taking the capital of Equestria, defeated King Sombra, and had as of recently, banished a demonic centaur who had taken all Equestrian magic including her own, can take care of a young Boss Monster who happens to have a little more magic than the average pony."

Twilight giggled, "Well when you put it like that, it seems child's play." The majority of the weight and stress Twilight felt had began to shed.

Luna smiled, "In the morning, I would take him on a tour of Ponyville. I do bet that Miss Pie will give him a celebration he definitely will never forget."

"Well I have no doubt about that." She smiled thinking about the rambunctious mare. Twilight then sighed, "Do you really think I can do this Princess?"

"No doubt in my mind Twilight." Luna replied.

After that, they chatted happily for a couple of minutes before the night princess finally had to depart, giving the best of luck to her friend and co-ruler.

Author's Note:
Comments ( 19 )

Wonderful mate, absolutely wonderful.

Methinks Twilight is jealous of Asriel's power. His magic reserves are twice that of Twilight's.

My bets are still on Discord being the one who brought Asriel to Equestria.

Just a quick theory; Twilight is unusually wary of Asriel, they are talking about Déjà vu, and we still don’t know where Asriel got his soul. I’m leaning to this being a True Reset ala Chara Genocide run. Hear me out.

Flowey gets to Equis, and since Frisk is no longer around, is able to Reset again. If Pony souls are like monster souls, then he wouldn’t be able to absorb one, but what if there is some being whose soul is compatible? Assuming that a “taken” soul can’t be kept when a True Reset happens, but what about a “sold” soul? When Frisk sells their soul to Chara, they keep it after the True Reset. But who would sell their soul to a flower, no one. But what if he caused enough destruction and grief? What would someone do to stop that? If they can’t stop him with force, would someone actually sell their soul to him if he promised to never attack again? I think they would, and after gaining a soul strong enough to regain his true form, he would perform a True Reset. I think this is where we are, a dazed and confused Asriel just after a True Reset, with little to no memory of what he did, and still holding that beings soul, just like Chara.

Soon Asriel shall have friends that are dear to him, if something were to harm them, Flowey may resurface, and he'll have something to fight for. Why does that thought terrify me?

Huh, I forgot if this setting was post-Season 4 or during Season 5

6975048 I sort of feel the same way on the deja vu/reset part.

6975087 They terrify me too

This pony's words had touched him in a way that only one person in the world had before.

Sorry if this comes off as nitpicking, but I'm pretty sure Asriel is in a different world now.
"In his life" would be more appropriate.

great story so far i love it :pinkiehappy: keep up the good work :raritywink:

Please update? I really enjoy the story, and Asriel is my favorite character, I really want to know where this goes. :twilightsheepish:

6987543 you should write more.

Why did you cancel the story?

7377536 the funnything is he said that hafter saying that his determination to write has increaced but he has said he is making a story under a new name that is the same thing but better

Hope this continues someday!

Login or register to comment