• Published 1st Nov 2015
  • 6,710 Views, 126 Comments

Asriel's Journey through Equis - RenaissanceDreemurr



A strange and powerful being took pity on the poor soul known as Asriel Dreemerr, and decided it would be best for him to reestablish his compasion by sending him to the best place to do so, Equestria.

  • ...
14
 126
 6,710

The Visitor

-The Visitor-

The twilight of the day had begun as the sun set on the horizon in a glowing reddish hue, the end of Celestia's 'Shift' as she had decided to call it many years ago. It would have been around the time where she was able to rest, ready for the next sun rise, but restlessness had overtaken the elder pony, for the smoke that took shape in the distance had also clouded her mind.

On the balcony, her ears perked at the sound of hooves slowing clopping near her. A small smile formed on celestia’s face as she knew the identity of the visitor. "Ah, Luna, what brings you to my chambers so early in the twilight?" She turned to meet her little sister, only to see the worry evident on her midnight blue face.

"A bit of restlessness sister," Luna responded, "I have recently been informed of the transpiring events of the Everfree."

Celestia sighed, feeling just as old as she really was, "Eats at all of us doesn't it?" Everypony was on edge. Never in a long time has a magical disruption affected the whole of Equis quite like this. It was psychologically aggravating to say the least on the magically sensitive, herself included.

Luna sighed, "Isaac knew what he doing when he set it up against us."

Old memories began to once again haunt the celestial princesses. They were foolish and arrogant back in those days, attempting to do the impossible. They broke a hole through reality, bringing forth seven human children from the earthly realm of Prometheus. Without a way to send them back, they both raised and taught them all they knew, of magic and friendship. It was in the very end that they turned and fought against the sisters when they discovered a conversion point, a hole in between realities of pony and man. They wanted to colonize Equestria with human recruits. Both sisters refused to let the other humans into the Equestrian world, the result being a war that spawned the Forest. The sisters were very nearly defeated in that event, but luck and only luck allowed them to banish the humans back from whence they came.

Celestia cleared her throat and responded to Luna's statement, "I suppose he did." She began to feel light headed as the more pleasant memories came to her, "Though I do miss them dearly Lu."

"As do I," Luna started, "But back on the matter; what could have caused such destruction to the forest? It can't be pony, not even a fully grown Apex dragon can do much damage to it." Luna thought for a moment, "Maybe..." a thought entered Luna's mind, "hmm... what about, the Promethean magic Major?"

Celestia raised an eyebrow in question. "What makes you think determination did it?" It was possible, however it was something nopony, or anybody for that matter, could study under. That kind of magic was a lost art, and rightfully so as it's power not only gave the capacity to break reality, but even gave abilities such as extended life and reality warping drives. Only the sisters possessed such a knowledge of its very existence. "It's a good idea Luna, but if that were to be true, why weren't we able to destroy the forest ourselves? We too are Promethean magic users."

Naturally, humans were born with the ability of determination. The only downside was the fact that their bodies were more matter than magic, which gave their abilities a limit to the unlimited as their true potential was locked away until death. Even after that, they were incapable of using it for their own benefit as they lose their individuality.

Luna thought for a moment, "Well, we did have a deep caring for Isaac and the others did we not?"

Celestia nodded.

Luna gave a small smirk, it was a bit of a guilty pleasure to occasionally know something her elder sister didn't. The urge to lead her on was strong, she however would cut is short as she saw it to be a delicate matter, "Well sister, that's the problem.”

Celestia looked at her with a confused expression, "What is it?"

Luna's eyes began to gleam like a child who got a new toy, "Its simple really, based upon our knowledge of the principle of how Promethean magic works, it would seem that the reason why we couldn't burn or destroy the forest is that we didn't have enough desire to do so."

Celestia's mind clicked at the realization, "Sweet Faust Luna! Are you saying that our love for them prevented us from destroying it?" She remembered the principle of Determination magic. It was based on desire, and without that one could hardly do anything with it.

Luna nodded, "Yes it solves that, but it does bring back the point you made." She switched to her diplomatic mode. "We truly are the only ones who wield this power in Equis."

"Well, there is Chrysalis the changeling queen," Celestia stated, "she too had studied under it, but her training is incomplete."

"That is true, but why do it?" Asked Luna.

"I can think of plenty of reasons as of why she would do it, but she too is incapable of committing such an action, as she is still recovering from her failed attempt to take the Equestrian Capital." Celestia almost grumbled as it wasn't her finest hour facing the Changeling queen. It was a good thing Luna hasn't yet caught on as to why, "Not to mention the massive blow to her economy due to it." She finished.

"Lets not get into Changeling politics please, I already have a difficult time keeping up with ours." Luna groaned.

Celestia gave a smirk, it has been too long since she got to see her sister this way. "Well, you've gotten pretty far this past six years, that determination of yours helps."

Luna groaned once more as she fell out of her diplomatic and back into that of her more sisterly mode, "Why did you have to get a Parliament? It used to be as simple as just saying it and they did it, now we have to write suggestions for law so that it can get approved, not to mention approve piles upon piles of law agreements ourselves." Luna let out a breath, "When did our job get so boring and tedious?"

Celestia sighed, "Lu, the point of it is to teach ponies democracy and good will towards others, since we won't always be around to guide ponies you know? I want to leave an impression great enough to where they can survive without fighting for absolute power."

Luna held her downcast gaze. "I know, it's just that I want to be free again, enjoy the night sky without worrying what others think. I want to explore the outer reaches of the cosmos, not waste my time with politics at a desk."

Celestia was silent for a moment.

Luna sighed, "I know you feel it too Tia, we used to explore the aspects of this world, document events and invent new magics. We were taught by ponykind and then we taught them. Don't you miss that? The feeling of the wind against your mane in the grassy fields, the uncertainty of what life was to bring you with each and every turn of the world." She sighed once more, "Remember our dream to find the meaning of life?"

Celestia understood her frustration, "I do dearest sister, I wanted that more than anything, but we are a higher power Lu, Prometheus gave us this duty to ponykind."

Luna sighed, but quickly began to lighten up at the mention of her master, "Hmph, I ought to be mad at him for that.” She remembered her beloved master and immediately began to smirk, “Well, I guess I can do this for a bit longer, after all I don’t want to disappoint that furball.”

Celestia smiled, "Remember the time he tried to give us nicknames?"

Luna burst, "Oh my Faust! wasn't it Celery and Swiss? He was so bad at giving names that it should have been illegal to let him do so.”

The sisters chuckled, tension beginning to die away.

Celestia exhaled, "Well, at least I still have you to talk like a normal pony with. Not even Cadence understood the fact that I am just a pony, and I've been trying to get Twilight to see that I want to have her as an equal, but I don't think she will anytime soon, she is just used to seeing me as the ultimate power, the mentor. Wisdom beyond life does separate you from those whose lives are shorter."

A glint caught her eye, causing her to look up in surprise, "Oh... I did not expect a letter this time of day."

The green flame moved in front of her, the ash reforming into a sealed scroll. Celestia immediately grabbed at it with her magic, noticing the PI symbol on the wax seal.

"Oh my, it's Twilight's letter of considerable importance."

Luna observed it, "What's that?"

Celestia looked from it to her, "It's something Twilight invented after the Summer Sun Celebration to make sure that I knew that this was particularly important to her.”

She broke the seal and read through the words.

Dear Princess Celestia,

I'm happy to inform you that the barrier spell that I created was a success; the entirety of Ponyville is completely secure and safe from disaster. This however is not why I've chosen this format to write in. A peculiarity emerged, a creature Rainbow brought back from the Everfree, seemingly very sapient. It's strange, I thought I knew all of the intelligent races of Equis, but nothing seems to match in my books of its description. It's bipedal, seemingly goat like but has feet and claws instead of hooves. He wears clothes, a striped garment, (Best to leave him out of Rarity's sight.) but that's not the weirdest thing about him. His magic, it frightens me to think, but I think it exceeds even my own, and he is just a child too. He doesn't seem at all aggressive, the opposite actually, Rainbow seems to have actually befriended him but still seems a little anxious around him.

He will be staying here in Ponyville for a while as I can imagine, probably here in the castle, though the thought makes me uneasy. If you possess any knowledge as to what he is, it would be most helpful to me if I can receive it.

Sincerely, Princess Twilight Sparkle.

Celestia stood there feeling frozen to the ground as she reread the letter multiple times to make sure she didn't miss anything, for her mind felt that she must have misunderstood the description given to her. She would normally have gone frantic over the situation if her millennia of political experience didn't prevented her from such rash actions.

She deeply inhaled a breath before letting it out in a second. She looked towards her sister, "I have a pretty good idea as of how the fire started."

Luna's interests peaked, "Really? How?"

She let out only two word slip from her mouth, "somniare daemonium."

Reaction from Luna was imminent, her wings ruffled and her eyes widened as large as bowls, "Is it him?! Could it be?!" She started pacing around for a second before stopping herself, "Well is it?!" she blurted impatiently.

Celestia shook her head, "I don't think so, the letter describes him as child-like. It might be his son."

Luna scoffed, "Surely he would be fully grown by this point."

The sun Princess shrugged, "Inter-dimensional relationships can be a bit tricky when it comes to the timelines, a second somewhere else could be a millenia for us, or the opposite."

Luna sighed, "As the expression goes, 'only one way to find out.' I'll head to Ponyville myself and look for the little monster."

Celestia rolled her eyes, "You need not look long, he's currently in the custody of Twilight."

Luna grabbed the letter and read through the page, "That makes things easier, I thought I would have to hunt him, tie him down, and demand an explanation for all of the chaos he's caused."

Luna's horn glowed and pulsated in a bluish white hue, reaction being the flapping of wings through the cool night air alongside the rising of the pearly white moon.

"My chariot will be here shortly," Luna stated, "They used to be a lot quicker."

Celestia began to feel exhausted, "Must you go now? It's a bit rushed you know." She would have added to that objection, but her thoughts were obstructed suddenly. Sleep felt much more welcoming than fifteen minutes ago, almost like... "Luna! Are you... I..." The Celestial Princess trailed and drifted into slumber, tipping to one side, but was caught in the embrace of a blue aura.

"Sleep, your shift is over and you need your rest for the next morning." She moved the now soundly sleeping princess onto the massive bed and covered her in the silky blanket.

Luna's true objective was done. She knew that after events like this, her sister would always become an insomniac, like a mother who's concerned for the well being of her children.

Luna went up to the alicorn's ear and whispered, "Oh Sister, forgive me for all of the sleepless nights I gave you over these thousand winters." She sighed for a moment, perking her ear at the sound of her chariot's arrival. 'Another matter I now have to tend to.' She thought.

She moved back onto the balcony to see her private and personally favorite flying vehicle, lined with silver and faint traces of gold and dark platinum. Princesshood was considerably boring and tedious, but it did have it's perks at times.

~:::~

It was just before the sun went down that Asriel was able to see the princess again. It was confusing to say the least upon the reasons that the Tetrarchy named themselves under Princess, Rainbow Dash didn't really know it herself, a question for another time maybe.

The Purple Alicorn walked out and into the hallway where she met the monster and her friend, "Sorry about that." She apologized, "Bit of an important matter."

She looked to the little monster, feeling a little uneasy but refused to show it, "So, Asriel right?"

He nodded.

She motioned her hoof, "Great, so, what is it that brings you to Ponyville?"

Asriel responded, "The pony in the forest named Fluttershy said you can possibly help me out. I'm not from this world and I'm left with little direction as of what to do next."

The monster did apparently have a little direction, and getting home was probably the biggest of priorities. The idea of seeing his family again, being amongst Frisk and his friends delighted him. However, going back with this soul that he unrightfully possessed would go against his morality, what right did he have to possess it? It was not man or monster, it must have come from this place. Still too little was known why it happened, no hypothesis could be formed yet.

"Not from this world?" Twilight questioned with a look of interest, "whatever do you mean?"

Asriel shrugged, "Exactly that. This is not the plane of existence that I come from as I observed. A portal brought me here, a tear in the space-time fabric probably." Big words for a youngling, but when you see the fabric of existence with great power, it tends to expand your perspective and knowledge (and maybe also give you symptoms of insanity).

Fear in Twilight's mind was dumped and replaced with a scientific joy that could even compare with Pinkie Pie's euphoria. She confused the monster with an uncontrollable squee.

He cocked his head at her reaction, which made the princess grow beet red at her moment of immaturity.

Rainbow who had stayed quiet the entire time began to burst out laughing, "Oh, oh jeez... wow Twilight."

The princess recomposed herself, "Well, um, excuse me, sorry, got a little excited there, still, wow," her excitement grew again, "this will go into the books for sure, never before has an inter-dimensional being been in Equis before!" She seemed to forget the monster momentarily, "Spike!? will you come down here?"

No answer.

She groaned, lighting her horn.

Poof! Sitting in the middle of the room appeared the little purple dragon reading a comic book. He looked around and gasped, "Gah!" he threw the comic book on the floor in anger and glared at the Princess, "Twilight, geeez, come on it's my day off, and I even went out of my way to send that letter for you."

She gave him a look for a moment before realising there were others in the room. He stopped for a second before groaning, "I could have been in the bathroom when you did that you know." He rolled his eyes and sighed in defeat, "What do you need Twi."

The Princess smiled, "I'll need all of my journals, quill and ink, the book of Equestrian species categories, and the magic user formats."

The dragon bowed mockingly, "As you wish, Your Highness."

He turned to leave but Twilight stopped him, "Oh, almost forgot, can you also get Canvas Chrome to come tomorrow as well? I'll need him for illustrating.”

He waved her off, "Got it."

After he left the Princess turned to Asriel, "Sorry about that, it's around the time of his natural hibernation period and he tends to get lethargic and moody."

"Shouldn't he sleep then?" Asriel asked.

Twilight shook her head, "No, that wouldn't be good for him at all, after the dragon sleep cycle starts in the heart fire sleep stage, he could be asleep for two hundred years max. Spike would never forgive me if I let him sleep while everypony else he knew was gone." She began to clear her throat and change the subject, "Well, it seems you don't have anyplace to go at this point in time. Would you like to stay here in the castle until things get figured out?"

Asriel was taken aback, "Oh, well..." He thought for a moment, "Sure, thank you, Princess Twilight." He bowed.

She smiled, "You're very welcome Asriel, and please, leave the formalities and just call me Twilight."

There was a loud knocking sound echoing throughout the castle."

"That would be the door." Twilight stated.

Rainbow began to hover, "I'll get that." She then shot off down the hallway in a rainbow blur, leaving the other two in a bit of an awkward silence.

"so..." Twilight started, "Anything else about yourself?" She began to give sheepish smile.

"Like what?" He questioned.

She sat a minute thinking, "How about the name of your race to begin with?"

"He's a somniare daemonium ," Said a dark voice from behind Asriel.

He turned to meet the face of the Night Princess, an expression that definitely belonged to that of a strong leader.

"Tell me," She started, "What brings the youngling of Prometheus here in my country?" She asked.

Twilight blinked, "how did you..." She was cut off.

"Not yet Sparkle, this is important."

The Friendship Princess flinched, but stayed quiet.

The lunar princess turned back to the Boss Monster, "Well? Speak, state thy.. I mean," she corrected, "your, business."

Asriel was a bit taken aback by the sudden appearance of the pony and was a little overwhelmed by the presence of the powerful and experienced ruler, however he was a prince, well... former prince that is but still, royal magic flowed through his body, and determination filled his soul. He would answer strongly, or try.

He quivered momentarily but stopped and composed himself as he saw his father do on multiple occasions during the quinquennial community meets, "P..princess Luna, of the Tetrarchy yes?" He asked. 'Oh jeez,' he thought, 'here we go.' It was a good thing that Rainbow gave him some Equestrian tid-bits.

She nodded, "Indeed I am, and you somniare?"

A cold sweat started as the blood rushed to his face, "Asriel Dreemurr, son of Asgore, heir of Prometheus."

"Ah, his grandson, you look much like him."

Twilight butted in the conversation, "Hey, wait a minute, you are familiar with... whatever he is, a... what did you call him?"

"somniare daemonium," Luna answered, "Beings of conscious magic, and as old as the Tree of Harmony itself." She turned her attention back to Asriel, "Your grandfather was a great monster, we owe him many thanks."

Asriel's interests piqued as his body began to cool down, "How do you know my Grandad?"

She frowned, "Let's not stray from the subject matter, again I ask, why are you here?"

The room seemed to get chiller with each word from the Princess's mouth.

"I..." Asriel began, "I don't actually know why I'm here." He reached for his determination to stay strong in front of the ruler.

She raised a brow, "Neither purpose nor intent in coming to Equis?" She held a stern gaze, "Why then? Was it against your own will?"

Asriel's resolve and determination felt sapped, as if suddenly he were becoming a wet noodle from the pressure. "I... I think so. I don't have any idea why I'm here, just that I am."

She observed Asriel with close inspection before letting out a sigh, "Very well, I can take that." She switched her gaze to Twilight who appeared to have zoned out. "Sparkle?"

No response."

"Princess Twilight Sparkle?"

Twilight snapped from her trance, "Hmm, yes, oh.. what is it?" She re-coordinated herself as if nothing happened.

"Will you house this being until things get... how would you put it?"

"Taken... care of?" Twilight offered.

"Yes, that's it. Will you?"

Twilight looked unsure for a second but nodded quickly after.

The Lunar Princess nodded back, "Very well, then I am done." She began to turn but Twilight stopped her.

"W-wait!" She objected.

Princess Luna turned back to her without a word but with that of a confused expression.

"Well," Twilight began, "I do have one more thing to talk to you about, in private that is. Can't you stay awhile longer?"

Luna sat down on her haunches, "I guess I can stay awhile longer. Is it that important?"

Twilight gave a nod with a look of sincere concern, "I believe so."

"Very well then," She turned to Asriel, "What of he?"

Twilight looked to the Boss Monster, then back to the Night ruler, "Just a sec." She turned to walk towards Asriel. She opened up to him and tried to look as welcoming as she could, "Here, I can escort you to the chambers you will be staying at."

Asriel nodded and followed, glad to no longer be interrogated. "Thank you for your kindness Your Highness."

Twilight nodded, "You're very welcome Asriel." She exhaled slightly. It was a long day for her, hopefully the next would be better.

~:::~

Luna waited for a moment in the hallway before witnessing a blue blur flying past her, stopping only a few feet ahead of the princess with a hint of surprise, "Princess Luna?" Rainbow questioned, "When did you get here?"

"T'was moments after you left for the door Rainbow Dash. Who was it that came to visit the castle of friendship?"

Rainbow shrugged, "Couldn't tell, wore a hood over his face and left quickly before I could even say anything to the guy, but he did give me a message for the kid."

Luna stayed quiet for a moment before whispering, "Curious. What's the message?"

Rainbow shrugged once again, "Can't make heads or tails of what it means, but it goes like this, 'To open the gate, you mustn't use the key, but to break the hinge that bind the door shut.'

Luna frowned, "Curious, curious indeed."

A thought occurred to Rainbow, "If you don't mind me asking, Your Highness, but how did you get here? The barrier was already put up before you came to Ponyville didn't it?"

Luna Nodded, "Barriers have no effect on teleportation magic Rainbow Dash. Tis the only flaw in their design." One fact she particularly knew very well.

An idea came to Rainbow mind, "Hey, ya know, if I were to get a team together, would you be able to teleport us over the barrier?"

Luna thought for a moment; she could, but the matter was why? "Indeed I can, but might I ask your reasons behind that action?"

The Rainbow pony sighed, "Fluttershy refused to leave the Forest because she couldn't leave her animals behind. I want to help her out and make sure she's okay."

Luna nodded in agreement, but something seemed off, "I'll take care of it, but if you don't mind me asking, why didn't you do this before the barrier was up? Wouldn't it be much more logical to have brought forth a team before the deadline?"

Rainbow shifted and look both ways before lowering her voice, "It's that kid, Asriel. Nice enough, but something is off putting about him. I can't explain it but, I felt I have seen and met him before. Normally I would have left immediately after dropping him off at the castle, but... My instincts told me not to leave him alone with Twilight, does that make sense?" She was quiet for a moment before chuckling it off, "Yeah probably not, so if you can excu.." She was cut off.

"Wait!" Luna bursted

Rainbow flinched.

Luna was about to say something, but thought better of it. She cleared her throat, "Forgive me for my outburst Rainbow Dash, it was quite rude of me." She sighed, "This fire has created a great disturbance in the balance of magic Rainbow Dash, everypony is on edge. Perhaps that's what is creating your trouble?"

Rainbow stayed quiet.

"Anyway, you need not fetch a team, you can have my guards waiting outside help you."

Rainbow looked surprised, "Huh... Oh! Well that be great, but don't you need then for your flight back to the castle?"

Luna Rolled her eyes, "Well I certainly don't need them to get around if that what you're implying. Besides, I can fly circles around those lethargic battle deprived brutes all day, but a princess is not expected to go around wherever by herself, the entire government would give a incredible fit if my sister and I did that all the time."

Rainbow nodded, her mind lingering momentarily upon what the princesses flight speed was, but she quickly pushed that down and thought about Fluttershy's situation. "I'll take up your offer, Your Highness." She bowed politely, "We should get started right away."

Luna nodded, "Of course, 'no time like the present' as a wise mare said, however you have a message to deliver to a young monster."

"Oh right," Rainbow said surprise, "Be right back."

And off the pony dashed through the hallways of the castle. Luna smirked and shook her head, 'and she doesn't even asked where they went.'

Author's Note:

Whew... That took longer than I thought. Seriously, many times I've considered shutting down this project, but I kept going on in your guys graze. Thank you all for the encouragement you guys have been giving me in the comments. I will continue to work on this for as long as you are willing readers to critique my work. Thank you guys, and thanks to WordGuru for editing.
Now I'm really grooving.

(art by AbridgedFrisk)
Let me know what you think in the Comment