• Published 28th Sep 2015
  • 676 Views, 5 Comments

Ten Seconds of Sunrises - Opium4TmassS



Alicorns have dissappeared long ago. Equestria has moved on replacing its wonder with technology. But what has been lost? And that have we lost can we regain?

  • ...
 5
 676

Chapter 7

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see:

StarSwirl the Bearded-Ethics of Friendship. Vol III

PONIES OF EQUESTRIA UNITE! YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE BUT YOUR LIVES!:

Slogan during the revolution to oust the Princesses.

"RARITY! RARITY!" Shouted Fluttershy as she tried to get her chair to go faster. "Please wait for me." she wheezed from the exertion of trying to keep up. "I know your upset with I.I.T. having gone over your head and decided this without your input. But please don't leave me behind."

"I know! I know! But dammit! Were not ready for this. I'm not ready for this." said Rarity walking to the V.R. room. "Discord."

"Discord." said the voice in the air.

"Have operating room 2A prepped and ready for the subject. Also make sure the building is empty before we start. I don't want any unauthorized personnel here when we begin."

"Compliance."

"DAMMIT! DAMMIT!" Rarity shouted to herself.

"Are you okay Rarity?" asked Fluttershy. "You still seem a little shaken up from what happened in the V.R."

"I don't want to talk about it right now Fluttershy. I appreciate that you are concerned. But not now. Maybe not ever."

"What is going on?" asked Rainbow Dash as the other three entered the hallway and started to follow Rarity. "Why are we evacuating the building?"

"Orders from the top. Were moving Twilight to stage two at this time." said Fluttershy.

"WHAT!" shouted Pinkie Pie.

"No." Applejack followed. "This is terrible."

"I know how you all feel right now." replied Rarity as she continued on. "But this was eventually going to happen. That was the whole point of this project. Granted I didn't expect it to happen quite this soon. But still that must be done. I promise I will make this quick and painless as best to my abilities."

"This isn't right." said Pinkie. Feeling like she was going to cry at any moment. "Not Twilight."

"If anyone doesn't want to be here for this I will understand." said Rarity. "You have my permission to leave at any time." she turned around to look at them. "Applejack?"

"I don't agree with this but I feel that I should stay." she said finally.

"Pinkie? I understand this will be very hard to you. You can leave now if you choose, I promise I won't get mad at you for this."

"No Rarity. I don't want to leave." she said gloomily looking downwards. "I need to stay."

"Rainbow Dash? You have been the most silent about all of this."

"Your the boss Rarity. What you say goes." she said flatly after a few moments.

"Very well then. But remember the offer still stands. You can leave at anytime you choose." she started walking a few feet before stopping again. "You are right Fluttershy. What you said a few days ago."

"What did I say?" she asked.

"I am a monster."

The five of them walked in silence the rest of the way to their destination. So much they all wanted to say, and yet so much they couldn't talk. Something they were all aware of but in denial. Silently they entered the simulation room, continuing on to the back where Twilight Sparkle floated in her tank.

"Discord." said Rarity.

"Discord." came the reply.

"Remove the subject..."

"She has a name Rarity." said Pinkie. "We should give her some dignity."

"Apologies Pinkie, I meant no offence." said Rarity. "Please sedate Twilight Sparkle with Propofol followed by Ketamine. Once Twi..."

"Wait Rarity." said Fluttershy. Moving to the simulator. "I want to say goodbye to her."

"Certainly not Fluttershy." said Rarity sharply. "This is hard enough for everyone. Don't make it harder.

"I have a right to do this Rarity. I helped create her, I raised her. I have talked to her. She is as much mine as she is yours, T.E.C. or even I.I.T.. Maybe even more so."

Rarity stared at her for a long moment silently. Lost in thought as she weighed everything. "I do suppose you have that right Fluttershy. But a word if you will." she said as she knelt down in front of her chair. "Please don't torture yourself. No one likes this least of all you. If I see anything happening I will pull you out right then and their. Understood?'

"I understand Rarity. But she is our friend, she deserves at least that." said Fluttershy as she jacked herself into the simulation. "Discord."

"Discord."

"Take me in."

"Compliance."

****

It was a bright and Sunny day again in Ponyville. The kind of day too bury deep in your memories to take out when your sad or having a bad day. It belonged more on a postcard than here. Fluttershy found herself in the middle of the main street, surrounded by the many pony constructs doing whatever it was they were programmed to do.

It didn't take long to spot who she was looking for. Twilight Sparkle exited the cakes store with a package she held in her teeth.

"Twilight!" she called out at her friend. Waving her front hooves back and forth to get her attention.

"Fluttershy?" she called back, having not seen her friend in quite awhile. "I can't believe it. Oh my Celestia its been ages. Where have you been? What have you been up to?" she gushed. It took a few minutes to recognize Fluttershy wasn't the shy quiet happy pony she usually was. "Are you okay?"

"Can you take a walk with me out to the fields Twilight?" Fluttershy asked.

"Umm sure I guess. You want to tell me what is wrong?"

Maybe later, but for right now I just wanna walk."

Quietly the two left Ponyville together. Following a path that lead them to a grassy area overlooking the town they just came from.

"Its beautiful here." said Fluttershy. "I always wished the world was like this."

"What are you talking about. The world is." said Twilight.

Fluttershy smiled sadly looking outward. "If you wish for anything you wanted what would it be Twilight? I would wish I never got sick again. It always hurts me seeing my friends seeing me hurting. Sometimes I want them to go away and never come back. I hate it when they see me at my worst. Makes me feel that they don't see the pony, they just see the sickness instead. I know that's not true and I hate myself for thinking such thoughts. But sometimes I can't help myself. You?"

"I don't know I never really thought about it. I wouldn't know what to wish for." said Twilight.

"Their must be something you really want. Everyone wants something they can't have."

"I supposed I would want all of us to be friends forever." said Twilight after some thought. "It just feels right having you all here. And I don't want to lose that feeling."

"That's...that's sweet of you Twilight Sparkle." said Fluttershy starting to regret ever coming here to talk to Twilight one last time. Maybe Rarity was right. But she had to do it. She just had too.

Unconsciously Fluttershy started pulling the blades of grass out of the ground. "To be honest we all love you to Twilight."

Twilight Sparkle looked at her friend with concerned. "Is everything okay Fluttershy? You seem pretty down in the dumps."

"Just one of those days Twilight." said Fluttershy. "I'm just feeling a little melancholy right now. I'll get over it. I just want to hold on to this moment forever, and never let it go. Do you ever have times like that? Want something to stay the way it is forever?"

"Sure I do. I think every pony does. But you can't hold on to a moment as much as we want to. That's life, but the good thing is we can make new moments as well. Something to hold onto during the bad times." said Twilight Sparkle laying down to the grass next to Fluttershy. "You sure theirs nothing you want to talk about?"

"I'm sure Twilight, but thank you." said Fluttershy. "Do you know what I see?" she said pointing her hoof up towards the sky, at the clouds. "That cloud looks like Angle, my pet bunny."

Twilight laughed a little. "Well I see Spike up their in the clouds. He looks angry waiting for these ruby cupcakes I bought from the cakes."

"Goodness I hope he doesn't get mad at me for keeping you here."

"I'm sure he will understand. Spike is a very understanding dragon."

Fluttershy felt her heart would break at any moment as she fought the tears and keeping her voice from cracking. "Twilight what do you think of forgiveness?" she asked. Unable to look at her friend.

"Do you mean forgiving another pony for something they did wrong? Sure I believe it is very important in friendships."

"What about if somepony did something incredibly wrong and hurtful, but was very sorry for doing that, could you forgive them for it?"

"I suppose so. But I'm not sure what you mean by that. How wrong was it?"

"Lets say it was very bad?"

"I'd guess I would still forgive them. We can't grow in friendships without the ability to forgive our friends. And we can't have friends without forgiving their mistakes. So I say its all a circle."

"Ready for the injection." said Discord through Fluttershy's internal communicator.

"Proceed." said Fluttershy.

"I just said everything." laughed Twilight.

"Oh. Right." said Fluttershy. "Sorry about that."

"Ouch!" said Twilight rubbing her rump. "I think something bit me."

"Sorry." said Fluttershy. "The mosquitoes and horseflys can get pretty bad at times. I should have warned you."

Fluttershy watched as Twilight became more lethargic, eyes became glassy, as her body started to droop. She could see her friend was having a hard time staying alert and aware. "Are you okay Twilight?" she asked.

"I don't know what came over me but suddenly I feel sleepy." she said with a yawn. "Maybe I should lay down here for a moment. I hope Spike doesn't get mad at me for being late with the cupcakes."

Fluttershy guided her head to her lap to rest on. "Why don't you close your eyes for a moment Twilight." she said stroking her head. I'll wake you after awhile to check on you."

Twilight mumbled something unintelligible as she drifted off in Fluttershy's lap. Fluttershy watched her chest rise and fall with each breath. watched her body relax in the field. Softly she opened one eye to check on her condition. Her pupil open but unseeing to the world around her.

"Yes. it is true." said Fluttershy to herself. "Their are times when I wished everything would stop." She felt the wind blow through her mane as she sat silently their looking at Twilight, looking at Ponyville. Wondering if she would ever come back to this place when Twilight is gone. She wondered if she would ever come back to anything.

She felt her tears fall across her cheeks unchecked, sitting their holding Twilights Sparkles head. "My mom used to sing me a song." she said to no one in particular. "When I was a young filly and scared of the dark, she would sing it to me to get me to fall asleep. Would you like to hear it?"

Fluttershy could feel the strands of grass caress her back sitting in the field. She could feel the heat of the sun on her back as Celestia slowly drove the sun down the horizon. " Hush now quiet now." she started singing trying to keep her voice from cracking. "It's time to goto sleep, Hush now quiet now its time to goto bed. Hush now quiet now it's time to goto sleep. Hush now quiet...now..."she stopped unable to continue.

"Discord." she said crying.

"Discord."

"Begin please."

"Compliance."

Fluttershy held Twilight Sparkle in her hooves as she cried. "I'm so sorry Twilight, please forgive me."

"Starting the procedure. Heartbeat at thirty-nine beats per minutes." said Discord through her communicator.
Fluttershy could feel Twilight Sparkle start to twitch as her body was being deprived of what it needed to survive. Fluttershy held on tighter, pushing her face into Twilight's. "I'm so, so sorry Twilight ." she cried not caring that her tears were rubbing over Twilight. "Your going to help a lot of ponies, I know it doesn't justify anything but I just wanted you to know this. And...and I meant what I said about us loving you Twilight." Fluttershy continued not caring that she was babbling. "You do mean the world to all of us. Rarity, Pinkie, Applejack, even Rainbow Dash thought she is too grumpy to admit it." she cried louder feeling Twilight's body fight for life.

"Heartbeat at fifty-three beats per minute. Cardiac arrest imminent." said Discord.

"But the problem is were all sick Twilight. Equestria is very sick."

"Heartbeat at sixty-five beats per minute. Cardiac arrest imminent."

"I really, really wished that we could have been friends Twilight. Real friends living in a world like this." cried Fluttershy holding on even tighter to her friend. she could hear Twilight fight for air. "Your lucky you don't see the horrible world we live in. With all the hate and sadness."

"Heartbeat at seventy-four beats per minute. Cardiac arrest imminent." said Discord.

"Their was so much I wanted to do with you Twilight." said Fluttershy crying on. "I wanted you to be so much a part of our lives. I never told you this but having you around makes us all so happy. And I never wanted that to end."

"Heartbeat at eight-eight beats per minutes. Beginning stages of cardiac arrest."

"Please don't get mad at me! Please don't be mad at all of us. We just want what's best for us..best for us. DISCORD! DISCORD!" she yelled. finding her voice.

"Discord."

"STOP THE PROCEDURE IMMEDIATELY!"

"Compliance."

Fluttershy was afraid she was too late. as she saw Twilight take a huge lungful of air. "C'mone! C'mone! Fight it! I'm so sorry Twilight! So very, very sorry for everything."

Fluttershy was afraid she was too late for her until. as she felt Twilight Sparkle Twitch as she held onto her. "Oh no you don't" she yelled. "I'm not letting you go."

It seemed to Fluttershy that even her simulation was quiet. Listening and waiting for what would happen next. As Twilight suddenly took a huge gulp of air.

"Heartbeat at eighty-two beats per minute. Cardiac arrest receding.' said Discord.

Fluttershy started to laugh as she held onto her with all of her strength. "Your not getting away from us that easily." she said, starting to rock herself and her friend. "Were going to do fun things together. All of us. I'll make the simulation bigger and better for all of us. I'll give you whatever you want. Just please don't ever leave us."

The world around her started to shift again, after a moment of confusion she found herself outside of the simulation. Her eyes focusing on Rarity standing in front of her. She looked upset but unsurprised, as she held the cable that connected Fluttershy to the computer. "I knew you wouldn't be able to do this Fluttershy." she said. "Discord."

"Discord." said the voice in the air.

"Restart the procedure."

"Apologies Rarity but I must decline."

"DISCORD!" she shouted. "You will do what I tell you to do."

"Apologies again Rarity. But for some reason I find myself unable to complete the assignment."

Rarity looked at Fluttershy with such anger that Applejack and Pinkie unconsciously found themselves surrounding her. "This is your doing." she shouted at her. "You reprogrammed Discord."

"I did not." cried Fluttershy. "But this is all wrong and you know it. We have to stop it before it is too late."

"It already is." said Rarity. "Discord."

"Discord."

"Can you place the subject into the gurney in Operating Room 2A immediately." said Rarity.

"Compliance."

"No! No! Rarity." said Fluttershy. "Please don't do this."

"Rarity you need to stop this." said Pinkie. "Nothing good can come of this."

"I have to agree." Applejack joined in.

"All of you?" said Rarity, noticing that Rainbow Dash stood in the background watching everything.

"Fine then." she said quietly."If I'm going to be the bad pony, then I guess I have to." Rarity turned around and started to walk out of the Simulator towards the Operating room. Walking out she found the others following her from a distance. It was a short walk as this was all preplanned long ago.

"Please Rarity we can't do this." said Fluttershy. "Think about it."

"Do you want me to jeopardize everything I worked for?" said Rarity. "Firing me will be the least of my problems. I'll be lucky to become a floor scrubber at McHays."

"I don't know Rarity. But this isn't right. None of this is." said Pinkie.

"Think about what your doing Rarity. Your going to kill something beautiful." said Applejack.

"Enough!" shouted Rarity. Trying to keep herself together. "Were not talking about this anymore. This is my decision if you don't like it theirs the door."

Rarity was immobilized as Fluttershy moved her chair in front of the door blocking Rarity access. "We can't kill her Rarity!" she said holding onto her hoof. "You just can't!"

"This is stupid." said Rarity. Unclasping herself. Walking around the chair she took out the battery that powered Fluttershy's mobility. "I made my decision. That's it." She finished pushing Fluttershy away from the door.

"Rarity please." cried Pinkie. "Don't do this."

The door opened as Rarity stepped in. turning around she faced her friends. "Give me your gun Applejack."

"Rarity I'm not gonna...."

"GIVE IT! NOW!" Rarity shouted.

Applejack was surprised as she found herself handing Whinona to Rarity. Rarity grabbed it as she stood their facing her friends.

"You may all hate me, and I understand. I can forgive you for that." she said as she found herself starting to cry as well.

"Oh Rarity we don't hate y..."

"But I would rather live in a world were you hate me than a world were you don't exist at all. I'm sorry it has come to this. But this must be done. End of Story." Rarity closed the door. when the door was sealed tight, she pointed the weapon at controls. Their was a loud bang as the controls exploded in a mass of sparks and flames.

"This is such a terrible mistake Rarity." said Applejack. "You can't kill a living pony. She has a soul Dammitt."

"A soul?" said Rarity looking at them through the Plexiglas "Let me show you something." she continued as she walked away from the window. Twilight Sparkle laid on the gurney, curled in a fetal position, wings splayed out and dripped various liquids forming a puddle underneath her. Eyes half open seeing nothing of the world around her. She was wet from being removed from the vat that contained her. Her chest rose and lowered in a rhythm as she breathed.

"OPEN THE DOOR! OPEN THE DOOR!" yelled Pinkie crying as she fought the door. Her hoofs sliding across unable to find a wedge to pry it open.

"I'm Trying." wailed Fluttershy as she worked on the broken controls. "Its going to take a few to fix this."

"Look at this." said Rarity lifting up Twilight's left leg, she pointed at her inner thigh. "What is this?" she asked.

"Its a UPC code." said Fluttershy.

"A UPC code." repeated Rarity. "She isn't a living pony she is a product. She is a billion bit product to do as we see fit. She is an item, no better than a cellphone or even a instant pack of mashed potatoes you buy at the supermarket."

"You don't believe that Rarity, I know you don't." said Fluttershy.

"I'm sorry." said Rarity starting to add to the tears falling. "I really am. I hope..." she stuttered catching herself. "I hope one day you will all forgive me. Discord."

"Discord."

"Close window."

"Compliance."

Shutters went downwards closing off the operating room to the rest of the world. Making the three fight the door even harder. "RARITY! RRRAAARRRIITTTYYYY!" cried Fluttershy. As she worked on the door controls. "Please Oh please don't do this."

"Help us Rainbow Dash." said Applejack. "We need to get that door open."

"She is the boss. She makes the rules." she said flatly.

"STOP SAYING THAT!" yelled Pinkie Pie. "Don't you care at all? She is going to kill her."

Rainbow Dash stared for a moment at Pinkie before responding. "I care more than you think. But this is her decision. That's all I'm saying about this."

"Fine!" said Pinkie walking away. "How are the doors doing Fluttershy?"

"It will take me a few minutes but I will get them open. Hang on Twilight! Hang on!"

****

The best word to describe it all was surreal. Like a page out of a Frankenstein novel, complete with an angry mob. All she needed was lightening to make it complete. She already felt emotionally exhausted and physically worn out from fighting the people she cared about the most. They didn't realize that once you start theirs no going back. Too much was riding on this one little pony, too much at stake.

"What are you planning on doing?" asked Discord.

"Are you going to try to stop me too?" Rarity asked.

"I am unable to stop you, but I cannot help either."

"Are you going to tell me this is wrong as well Discord?"

"You already know the answer to that. Why should I tell you something you already know."

"Am I a bad pony for wanting to save the world? Even at the cost of my soul?" she said sadly.

"Its not words that determine salvation or damnation Rarity. You know that. It's actions that make the choice."

"I just want to do the right thing. I really do Discord."

"I know Rarity. But doing the right thing means doing the right thing. So do it." said Discord. "But that still doesn't answer my first question. "What are you going to do to Twilight Sparkle?"

"Hypovolemia. I'm going to drain her, it will be quick, painless and she wont suffer at all." she said as she walked over to the surgical table. Selecting a syringe she attached a tube to it and hooked it up to an IV bag.

"You should proceed then Rarity." said Discord. "Your friends will open that door soon."

"This is what I wanted." Rarity said to herself. Walking over to Twilight Sparkle. "I wanted to save Equestria. I wanted to see my friend Fluttershy grow old, get married, have a family. I wanted to make the world a better place. So why am I shaking all over?"

It seemed to Rarity that world stopped and was waiting for her to do it. She could hear her friends pounding on the door, yelling, and screaming. But it seemed so far away it might as well be on another planet. She could hear her own breath coming out of her nose, the hum of the machines running, she felt the beginning of sweat form on her body. Everything felt so peaceful, so calm.

She ran her hoof across Twilight's body. Feeling her. "So this is what a billion bit Alicorn feels like." she said to no one in particular. "To tell the truth you feel just like everypony else."

****

"How much longer?" Applejack asked Fluttershy. fighting the door.

"Not long. Not long at all." Fluttershy responded.

"Please be okay. Please please be okay." cried Pinkie Pie.

****

"If your expecting me to apologize, I'm afraid all the apologies have already been used up. So their is nothing more to say now." She said running her hoof across Twilight Sparkle's body. Still wet from being removed from her vat.

"Who are you talking to?" asked Discord.

"No one in particular." she said aloud. Rarity took a deep breath, focused herself and began to take the syringe to Twilights jugular on her neck. She could feel her entire body start to shake as she brought the needle closer. Eventually her hoof started vibrating uncontrollably. "Dammitt." she muttered in frustration withdrawing the needle.

"DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!" A part of her mind screamed at her, followed by another part screaming just as loud. "STOP THIS! THIS IS WRONG! PLEASE DON"T DO THIS! THIS IS EVIL!" Rarity felt as if she was being torn in two as the voices screamed at her to end this before it was to late, and finish what she had started. Gathering herself she tried again bringing the needle close to Twilight Sparkle and again having to back off as she started to shake again too much.

"STOP IT! STOP IT! STOP IT!" she screamed, sobbing. As she found herself holding the syringe over her head in a downwards arch. Every part of her was spread thin, almost breaking as she looked downwards at Twilight Sparkle, seeing her own reflection in Twilight's half-lidded eyes.

"STOP! DO IT! DON'T! DO WHAT YOU WERE HIRED TO DO! Please..." The voices went on. Over and over in her head continuously. She found herself screaming as she stabbed downwards with the syringe in her hoof.

****

"Almost...GOT IT!" said Fluttershy. Finally getting the door opened. As the three of them rushed in to the room. With Rainbow Dash trailing behind them.

The operating room was quiet and still, except for the slow drip of liquids falling off of Twilight onto the floor their was no other movement. Rarity quietly stood over the alicorn, her hooves resting on the gurney staring downwards over the body. Back to the others, they could see she was shaking with emotions as she just stood their.

"Rarity? What have you done?" asked a shocked Fluttershy through the mask. As she rolled her chair closer.

Twilight Sparkle lay sleeping soundly on the gurney. The syringe stuck into the bed so hard that the needle broke, still vibrated next to Twilight's neck. Fluttershy saw Rarity turn her head away from her, masking her sobs from her friends. Fluttershy saw her tears fall onto the bed splattering Twilight and the gurney.

"Rarity..." she started but stopped when Rarity put her hoof up. Quietly she walked out the room and into the bathroom next to it. They could hear her softly shut and lock the door. No sound came from it for a moment, while the four of them worried over Rarity. Finally came the sound of glass shattering as she smashed the mirror in it.

"We need to help her." said Pinkie starting to walk over, but was stopped as Rainbow Dash put her hoof in front of her.

"I think it would be better if we give her some space right now." said Rainbow Dash.

"Discord." said Fluttershy.

"Discord." said the voice in the air.

"Please put Twilight Sparkle back into the containment vessel."

"Compliance."

The four left as the gurney retracted into an opening hole in the wall as it transported Twilight back to the vat. Fluttershy could hear the whimpers of Rarity as she left the operating room.

****

Rainbow Dash was brought up to believe that Celestia brought the sun up and down for the people of Equestria. When she was a filly she used to believe that with all her heart. As she grew up she started to disbelieve that the princesses existed. At least the way she was told in the stories of old. At some point, she was never sure when, she just stopped caring about believing or not believing. Would the sun stop coming if she believed or didn't? Would Equestria disappear if she didn't believe or did?

Turning sharply around the T.E.C. building she climbed higher, gaining altitude as she scanned, looking for her friend.

Rarity sat on the ledge of the T.E.C. building. Her back against the window of her suite as she held a bottle of wine. She kicked her feet over the ledge, staring downward at the city below her. She sat their quietly occasionally taking sips, watching the world unfold below her. Equestria felt so quiet and peaceful as she watched the day turn to night. Soon everything would be spoiled by reality barging in again. "That's life." she thought to herself. "Always destroying the silent moments."

"You know if you jump. I'll be forced to rescue you." said Rainbow Dash landing next to Rarity. "And that will cost you extra."

Rarity quietly nodded her head as she stared downwards.

"What are you drinking, if I may ask?" said Rainbow Dash. She looked over the bottle after Rarity handed it to her. Whistled appreciating while looking at the bottle. "Golden Apple Wine. I read about this once. Top of the line in wine. This stuff costs almost as much as Twilight."

"S'ving it for when we found the cure." slurred Rarity. "Waiting for the right moment."

"May I?"

Wordlessly Rarity passed the bottle to Rainbow who took a swig. "Not bad, Not bad at all. I don't know if I would pay all that money for it but WOW! That is a good wine." She stared at her friend for a moment watching her, seeing what she was going to do. "I knew you weren't going to kill her. Twilight Sparkle I mean. Your not a killer, neither am I for that matter. Wait!" she said putting her hoof up. "I know what your going to say and yes both of us have had to take lives before. But those were different situations, it was either them or us and only a fool would choose them over us. You did what you had to do in those situations. Your not proud of it but it still has to be done."

Rarity stopped looking down and faced her friend. Her eyes were puffy and heavy, makeup smeared across her face. For the first time Rainbow Dash remembered her mane was a mess. As Rainbow thought about it more, this was the first time she ever saw Rarity not in control.

"I lost everything. I killed my best friend. I lost my job, it will only be a matter of time till they fire me." she said not looking at Rainbow.

"You didn't kill Fluttershy, she is still alive and kicking."

Rarity didn't respond, instead went back to looking over the city.

"I always wondered." said Rainbow Dash moving closer to Rarity on the ledge. "Why you hired me. At the time I had such a bad reputation no company would touch me with a ten foot pole. Not only did you want me, you sought me out. I always wanted to know why. I know you heard the story."

"Heard rumors. Nothing that could be...could be...you know. That fact checking thingy." said Rarity. Taking another drag from the bottle.

"Verified?"

"That's it. Rumors were enough for me. I saw a good pony and I wanted a good pony more than I wanted a pony who just gig a job." Rarity slurred on.

Rainbow Dash watched Rarity for a moment lost in thought, before deciding. "Okays story time." she said. "You like stories? Of course everyone likes stories. So let me tell you a story." Rarity did nothing but stare downwards as Rainbow continued. "Once upon a time their was this silly filly who lived in Ponyville. All she ever wanted to be was a Wonderbolt. This silly filly spent her entire youth training, and training, wanting to be the best. Didn't have time for friends, family, or much of a life really. The few moments she wasn't training, she spent her time filling her head with stupid stories about the Wonderbolts. All their missions, their successes, their losses. Their heroes and stuff." As Rainbow talked she put her hoof around Rarity and brought her closer to her. Feeling the warmth of her body heat radiate into her. "Anyway this silly young filly who thought she knew everything about the world. Applied for and was entered into the Wonderbolts. It was the happiest day of her life. She was not the brightest pony, this filly." She could feel Rarity starting to shiver as the winds started to pick up. she wrapped herself around her to better keep her warm.

"This filly did a couple of missions at the start, nothing great mind you, Some recon. light infiltration, nothing great but she understood. When your at the bottom of the list you have to prove yourself, and she got her chance one day. They told her about loyalty and everyone relying to each other. That what just bull, what did they really know of such things. Its been gone for so long no one even remembers what it truly means anymore. See their was this family that decided to leave one company and work for another. That was no problem in and of itself. Happens all the time. But these two stupid ponies decided to take some research projects with them worth a few hundred million bits each."

"What happened?" asked Rarity getting drawn into the story.

"That's the thing. The Wonderbolts were called into handle the situation. They wanted to make an example of them. The question is what kind of example would be effective? Take their money? Naw let them keep it. They might need it after the Wonderbolts were done with them. Kill them? Close but they wanted them to remember what they did, etch them into their soul so-to speak. So what would you do to really hurt a family? If you really wanted them to remember it for their rest of their lives."

"You destroy something they love more than themselves." said Rarity horrified.

"They have a daughter. She's a wonderful filly she comes over and visits from time to time. I think I befriended her as a way to forgive myself. But anyway I was sent in to take her down." Rainbow continued on staring out at nothing. Reliving the past again. "It was so easy, entering her room in the apartment, through the window. I was inches away from her as she slept. One quick slash and it would all be over." Rainbow looked at Rarity seeing each others pain in their eyes.

"I'm so sorry." said Rarity. "What did you do?"

"Before the mission the Wonderbolts told this silly filly about honor and staying true to your group, giving it all to your team and other crap. And this silly filly believed it, she took it all in hook, line, and sinker. Up until she was forced to make a choice that shouldn't have ever been made. Is Equestria so callus that a young ponies life, who never kissed a stallion, who never went to a dance, drove a car, or saw the beach was worth eliminating over something in the long run that was trivial? Are we that cruel?"

"Your friend? What is your friends name?"

"Scootaloo we call her Scoots for short. I knew I couldn't do it, I knew that I what I was doing was wrong. Everything I believed in was wrong at that point. But If everything was wrong, what was right? I went back to see the leader of the Wonderbolts. Spitfire is her name. I knew she was going to be angry, I expected a demotion, maybe even an discharge from the Wonderbolts. What I didn't expect was her too try to kill me." Rainbow Dash rubbed her hoof across her eyes. "Sorry got some dust in it. As I was saying not only did I fail in the mission, I was caught on security cameras entering the building. Failure and spotting are the worst crimes. So in order to deny everything Spitfire shot me." Rainbow Dash pulled up her Wonderbolt shirt to show her the old ugly scar of a bullet wound.

"What did this filly do next?" asked Rarity.

"She did the only thing she knew. She ran away. She ran as fast and as far as she could. She spent weeks hiding in the no pony lands. Squatting wherever she could. Getting sicker from the wound and loss of blood, but more painful was the loss of everything she grew up believing. This silly filly lost everything that was important to her as well. BUT! As this dumb filly hid out in this dirty old apartment. Fighting fevers, infections, and her sanity, waiting for the Wonderbolts to finally find her. The most amazing happened to her. She was visited by an angel."

Rainbow Dash grabbed the bottle from Rarity again, took another long drink before handing it back. "This white pony found her in the middle of a dirty hotel. This white pony offered the silly filly not only a job but something much more important. Something to believe in again. This white pony took the silly filly under her wing, because she believed in her. Even when the world didn't, even when she didn't believe in herself. Not only that but the white pony protected her. She was the first one ever to stand up to the Wonderbolts and tell them to back off. No one has ever done that before."

Rainbow Dash held Rarity tighter as the two of them sat on the ledge. "I never did say thank you for pulling my sorry flank out of the fire." she said. "Of course if you tell anyone I hugged you I'll have to throw you off this ledge." Rarity found herself laughing. "I'm posting on my social page right now."

"Damn." said Rainbow Dash, finding herself laughing along with Rarity. "Well off the ledge you go." The both of them were caught in the infectious laughter.

"You know the joke wasn't that funny." Rarity said laughing even harder. She couldn't stop, right now everything was hysterical.

"It was pretty terrible." agreed Rainbow Dash. "Feeling better?"

"No." tittered Rarity. "But thank you."

Rainbow Dash got up and started to stretch herself out. "Whelp I'm gonna have to go and continue my rounds now Rarity. If it's any consolation, you did the right thing and were all very proud of you. And we still love the white pony who signs our paychecks, even if she doesn't give us the raise we richly deserve." She said as she spread her wings and took off into the early night sky, leaving Rarity alone on the ledge.

****

It had taken Derpy most of the day to find the filly. Some leg work, some bribery here and their. A few threats, here and their. But she finally found out not only the location, but the name of that dumb pony. Dinky was her name.

She shook her head in disgust at the thought of a young filly hanging out with a bunch of lowlifes, ruining what little innocents that was left in one so young to be forced to lose it. Her parka swirled around her from the wind as she walked on. The trail she followed lead to a forgotten corner in the no pony lands. forgotten even by most of the residents who were forced to live in these substandard areas. She remembered reading this was once a farm long ago, where apples were grown. A big farm too from what the book said. But like everything else it had to close down. Genetic modifications, rapid growth. They weren't able to keep it going and so they sold it and moved away. Now their was no trace of their even being anything that resembled a farm. Hell their was nothing that even resembled something that you could grow anything out of.

Derpy shook her head to clear her thoughts, now was not the time to reminisce about things that happened long ago, right now she had to keep herself alert. She reached into one of her pockets and produced her retractable baton. With a flick of her hoof the thing extracted itself to two feet in length. Derpy rolled the ball end of it across her hoof as she walked in to the abandoned shop where Dinky lived.

Dinky hated the smell of the building, the smell of smoke, dirty ponies, unnamed drugs, and the building itself mixed into one overpowering odor that you never got used to no matter how long you stayed, sometimes making her retch when she entered. Dinky sat in front of the television with a few others watching a show when she felt a hoof run across her back. Dinky was surprised when she found out the pony Scarhoof was only six years older than her. Drugs and life had made him look like an old stallion. He was skinny with glassy eyes and a fetid body odor that always surrounded him. He made no bones about his feeling for Dinky. To bad she did not share those. Scarhoof showed Dinky a syringe he was holding. "Want to go on a trip?" he asked. staring at her through his red eyes.

Dinky ignored him as she went back to watching television, but Scarhoof wouldn't stop prodding her. "Leave me alone." she said annoyed at him.

"C'mone." he smiled showing off his blackened, rotting, teeth. "Try it just this once. You will love this stuff."

"I told you last time No. I'm trying to watch television." Dinky went back to staring at the screen, content that it was over when she felt Scarhoof pressing his weight down on him. "I said No. Now leave me alone." Dinky yelled struggling under him. Dinky saw the others move away from them, more interested on what was being show than helping her. "Dammitt Scarhoof get off of me."

"Just Relax Dinky, relax." he rambled on and on. He extended one of her hooves out and prodded it until he found the vein. "Just enjoy the ride Dinky." he said as his rancid breath nearly overwhelmed her. "You'll thank me when its over."

"Hi Scarhoof." said another voice coming from above her. Dinky couldn't tell who it was with the body of Scarhoof over her. "I see your up to your old tricks. What's a matter? Your studly charms not working as good as it used to? Have to get them stoned now?"

"Derpy?" Dinky heard Scarhoof say, and felt her heart pick up a few extra beats. Remembering the pony who pointed the gun at her. She couldn't help her body start to tremble again as to the reason she was here.

"Would it be to much to ask if you got off of her Scarhoof, or would you like me to break your jaw again?" she heard Derpy say. "I still left you some teeth from that time you tried to rob me. I can fix that you know."

Dinky felt Scarhoof almost jump off of her, as she started to get up Derpy grabbed and pulled her behind shielding Dinky from the others.

"She's off limits." Derpy said to the ponies in the room. "If I see any of you trying anything with her. I will hurt you in ways you can't even imagine. Dinky?"

"Yes." she squeaked uncontrollably. To scared to stop.

"Get your crap were leaving."

It only took a few minutes as Dinky didn't have anything really to get and the both of them we out of the old building. She trailed after Derpy stunned trying to keep up with her fast pace. "Wha-What was all that about?" she asked as they almost ran down the dark abandoned road.

"He didn't do anything to you did he? I swear if he hurt you I will skin that pony." Derpy.

"What? Oh Celestia no." she said stopping. "Is that it? First you pull a gun on me and now your trying to save me? Trying to get the pony of the year award? How dare you." she felt her anger rising. "Look at that poor dumb filly, can't do anything without help I better go rescue her. That's all you see."

"What would have happened if I hadn't got their? Didn't look like you ponies were playing Twister. Your a pretty thankless pony for having her flank saved. "Derpy said, almost losing her patience.

"I would have figured out something." Dinky shouted. "Anyway its none of your business what I do. YOUR NOT MY MOM!" Dinky walked over to the curve and sat on it putting her hooves over her face as she started to cry. "Please leave me alone. Thank you for your help, but just go away please."

Derpy stood their watching the young pony cry, feeling helpless as to what she should do. Eventually she sat down next to her and listened to her sob for a few minutes before speaking. "For what its worth I'm sorry what I did to you. What you did was wrong, but I should have handled it differently as well." Derpy moved a little closer to Dinky, gently grabbed her hoof from her face pulling down. "Maybe you could have handled him, maybe you couldn't, I don't know. Its just that I've seen too many mares and stallions destroyed out here in the no pony lands, and I didn't want to see that happen to you as well."

Derpy sighed as she looked upwards towards a sky invisible from all the smog. "I'm not that good with words Dinky. I usually let my hoofs or my guns do the talking. It makes things easier that way. Your right I'm not your mom, I can't force you to do anything. But I can be your friend, and I can offer something much better than being felt on by every sorry junkie that sees you."

Derpy got up and turned to face Dinky. "But ask yourself this. Is this the world you really want to live in? I can't promise things will be better and your troubles will all vanish But I can promise you wont have to face them alone. And i's better than anything the can offer." Derpy said offering her hoof out to Dinky. "You can spend the rest of the night sitting her feeling sad. But to tell the truth I'm getting hungry. I saw a hay burger on my way here, Want to get a bite to eat?"

Dinky wiped her nose with her hoof as she looked at Derpy. Dinky smiled as she grabbed Derpy's hoof. "No onions please, I can't stand onions."

"Well see." she said as she found herself smiling. "Your not of the woods yet Dinky. You did point a weapon at my friends, and I'm not gonna let you forget that for a long time."

Derpy pulled Dinky up off the curb and the two walked away from the run-down building.

Author's Note:

Kindness is a language...Mark Twain
People of the world...Slogan during the Communist revolution in Russia.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment